Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chad Henne Signs Two Year Deal

Quote:Signing Henne has no impact on us getting or not getting a QB in the draft.

Exactamundo

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM by Achilles.)

there is no better backup qb out there for the jaguars than chad henne. he knows the system and he is serviceable. realistically next season even if the jaguars draft someone like teddy, he may not start right away, so the jaguars might have to count on henne to get them a few wins under their belt until the qb of the future is ready. the right move, in my opinion. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

i'd say this throws the idea of vick coming here out the window.

Quote:Signing Henne has no impact on us getting or not getting a QB in the draft.

However, it signals that they likely won't get someone better in free agency, which means if there isn't a first or second round ready to go guy picked in the draft it's going to be another year of Henne and Gabbert "competing".

Quote:there is no better backup qb out there for the jaguars than chad henne. he knows the system and he is serviceable. realistically next season even if the jaguars draft someone like teddy, he may not start right away, so the jaguars might have to count on henne to get them a few wins under their belt under the qb of the future is ready. the right move, in my opinion. 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! thats not happening

Quote:However, it signals that they likely won't get someone better in free agency, which means if there isn't a first or second round ready to go guy picked in the draft it's going to be another year of Henne and Gabbert "competing".
id take murray in the the third if he is there and i really wouldnt be apposed to taking him in the second TBH.

Quote:Bye bye, Blaine Gabbert.

Hope you land with a team that will let you play.

While it's possible Gabbert gets cut, I'm pretty sure his future with the franchise will have more to do with his performance than Henne's contract.  Gabbert's still under contract for next year, and there's no dire need to unload him any time soon. I would imagine he'll be on the roster through camp.  From there it's really up to him.

He'll have competition with Stanzi and Scott, and there's little doubt the team is going to draft a QB, so there will be a crowd to contend with.  But, Gabbert will have every opportunity to earn a roster spot. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I don't get the "He knows the system" argument.  Is the system that hard to get?  It's not as if elsewhere QB's haven't stepped in and been able to 'get the system' right away.  Changing systems often can be bad for a young Quarterback.  But I honestly don't think it's a big deal for a veteran.

Keeping Henne seems to be more about keeping costs down for a guy that isn't going to be the future.  Nobody in Free Agency was going to be The Guy™.  I don't think Caldwell was looking for a stop-gap QB.  Henne is likely just a bridge to whoever we get either this year or next (hopefully this)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:there is no better backup qb out there for the jaguars than chad henne. he knows the system and he is serviceable. realistically next season even if the jaguars draft someone like teddy, he may not start right away, so the jaguars might have to count on henne to get them a few wins under their belt until the qb of the future is ready. the right move, in my opinion. 

Completely agree.

And, without signing a bank-breaker it leaves cap room to fix the line.

Sounds like Mack isn't pleased with the Browns situation, so he may be worth making a bid.  Worst thing that can happen is the Browns match.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! thats not happening
he did play the last half of last year when we went 4-4.... but i dont think anyone here is making him out to be the answer at QB.

Quote:Completely agree.

And, without signing a bank-breaker it leaves cap room to fix the line.

Sounds like Mack isn't pleased with the Browns situation, so he may be worth making a bid.  Worst thing that can happen is the Browns match.

i agree with that too. id like to see the jaguars somehow wind up with mack and bennett, if not both at least 1. besides some lower tier FA signings and then whatever they decide to do in the draft, this could be the start of a high impact upswing. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Well the rumor about interest in Vick worked pretty well.  Henne found his pen with the quickness and signed away.  LOL

Quote:While it's possible Gabbert gets cut, I'm pretty sure his future with the franchise will have more to do with his performance than Henne's contract.  Gabbert's still under contract for next year, and there's no dire need to unload him any time soon. I would imagine he'll be on the roster through camp.  From there it's really up to him.
This. Granted, Gabbert would be a pricey QB to be a 3rd stringer, but either they see how he competes/improves with another year and offseason or eat the dead money. It's only logical that Gabbert is here at least through preseason unless he implodes. He did essentially beat out Henne last year before injuries and poor performance led to him being benched.

Quote:I don't get the "He knows the system" argument.  Is the system that hard to get?  It's not as if elsewhere QB's haven't stepped in and been able to 'get the system' right away.  Changing systems often can be bad for a young Quarterback.  But I honestly don't think it's a big deal for a veteran.

Keeping Henne seems to be more about keeping costs down for a guy that isn't going to be the future.  Nobody in Free Agency was going to be The Guy™.  I don't think Caldwell was looking for a stop-gap QB.  Henne is likely just a bridge to whoever we get either this year or next (hopefully this)

The best QBs have been running their systems for years.  QBs who have to learn new systems (instead of systems build for them, as in Manning's case in Denver) take at least a year for things to really hum (if they even do at all.)  Good QBs in good systems don't change drastically, so yes you still do see a learning curve when a new QB is in a new system.

Quote:This. Granted, Gabbert would be a pricey QB to be a 3rd stringer, but either they see how he competes/improves with another year and offseason or eat the dead money. It's only logical that Gabbert is here at least through preseason unless he implodes. He did essentially beat out Henne last year before injuries and poor performance led to him being benched.
If he winds up 3rd on the depth chart, they'll cut him, which is what I think will be the most likely scenario.  There's no point in keeping him at that point.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

henne can look like garbage at times but i like a few things about the guy... as far as toughness he is the polar opposite of gabbert which isn't the biggest qb trait, but its something... and the obvious part of him knowing the play book and having at least some chemistry already with our WR's is something that should be considered when comparing him to other FA possibilities.

Quote:Well the rumor about interest in Vick worked pretty well.  Henne found his pen with the quickness and signed away.  LOL

That's a very good point.

Quote:I don't get the "He knows the system" argument.  Is the system that hard to get?  It's not as if elsewhere QB's haven't stepped in and been able to 'get the system' right away.  Changing systems often can be bad for a young Quarterback.  But I honestly don't think it's a big deal for a veteran.

Don't say bridge.  You'll be glitter bombed.

Apparently the contract is incentive based on whether or not he starts. Nice move by Caldwell. No need to restructure or cut Henne when the new starter comes in.

Quote:Well the rumor about interest in Vick worked pretty well.  Henne found his pen with the quickness and signed away.  LOL
lol but i doubt they had to do much arm twisting to get him to sign a 2 year deal.