Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When can we expect any news on blackmons playing status?

The official league year starts Thursday, March 4th. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jaguars cut ties with him that day, or at least shop him around. As I understand it, he was suspended for one calendar year so that means, assuming he's had no other issues during this suspension, he's unavailable to any team until week 5 of the new season. And he's one failed test away from the 3rd violation penalty which is determined by which substance abuse policy he falls into.

Regards...............the Chiefjag

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The official league year starts Thursday, March 4th. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jaguars cut ties with him that day, or at least shop him around. As I understand it, he was suspended for one calendar year so that means, assuming he's had no other issues during this suspension, he's unavailable to any team until week 5 of the new season. And he's one failed test away from the 3rd violation penalty which is determined by which substance abuse policy he falls into.

I think his future with the Jags will pivot heavily on the rehabilitative steps he's taken.  If he's gone through a reputable program and can prove that he's been abstaining from substance use, the Jaguars would be stupid to cut him loose.  If I'm not mistaken, he's also due to have his contract restructured to eliminate financial risk to the team if he does fall off the wagon again.  Jacksonville has everything to gain, and little to lose, if the conditions are right.     

I think a huge tell as to where JB head is at when he comes back will be if he can actually admit he has a problem. If he approaches the situation with his prior line of "I don't have a problem, I just made a bad decision" I think it will come off as extremely insincere to fans as well as the team - if he's not past that point already.

Quote:I think a huge tell as to where JB head is at when he comes back will be if he can actually admit he has a problem. If he approaches the situation with his prior line of "I don't have a problem, I just made a bad decision" I think it will come off as extremely insincere to fans as well as the team - if he's not past that point already.

Admission of a problem is a bridge he had to cross months ago.  It's going to take more than affirmation to get back into the league.  I would imagine Goodell will require that he undergo a comprehensive rehabilitation program to even be considered for reinstatement. 

Quote:The official league year starts Thursday, March 4th. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jaguars cut ties with him that day, or at least shop him around. As I understand it, he was suspended for one calendar year so that means, assuming he's had no other issues during this suspension, he's unavailable to any team until week 5 of the new season. And he's one failed test away from the 3rd violation penalty which is determined by which substance abuse policy he falls into.

There's absolutely zero chance we cut ties with Blackmon. He'll either be playing for the Jags, or he will be suspended indefinitely due to another slip up (which I'm sure we all hope doesn't happen, but only time will tell). Those are the only two options that will happen in my opinion. He's too talented to trade away for peanuts, which is what anybody would offer for him. That is if anybody would offer anything for him at all, which I doubt they would.

I am not aware of the rules or the steps for player reinstatement from this stage of addict/player recuperation, but the one rule that should count the most is Blackmon's recovery. Given the serious mental, and health issues associated with substance abuse, It is good to know that Blackmon will have the opportunity to become not only a better player, but possibly the opportunity to be an overall more healthy person mentally, and physically. For himself, and his loved one's.

With Blackmon's natural talent, along with the efforts he has worked for as an athlete, he has earned the opportunity to redeem his career, and life. The NFL is a great employer in general, and does invest heavily in players health, and safety. The NFL does seem to award a lot of leeway to redeem an employees perceived, or fully warranted misgivings.
<div>
<div> 
I appreciate that the NFL as an employer in general does put a lot of effort, and finances into bettering the people they employ in these types of instances of addiction. I don't know if they are given the credit they deserve in most cases, though you could cite example after example of second chances, and support of many individuals from players like Michael Vick, to coaches like Andy Moeller, Wade Phillips, or even to the length of reinstating Greg Williams. Bleck! Greg Williams.

Knowing that the NFL does follow a path that works towards redemption, I am sure the league office will be more likely to help Blackmon recover, and return to the field as early as possible, which I am sure is contingent on steps that Blackmon will be required to take to prove he is following through on his end of his addiction recovery. If we get to see him play this next season at all would be a positive sign. It would show a level of commitment, which could translate to him being a better player. I think we have a lot to be excited for given the way we played in the latter part of last season, while being without a lot of key players. I am excited to consider what Justin has the potential to bring to our passing game. It would be a huge letdown if he fails to come back. For himself, the team, and us as fans.

Having seen this name earlier in the news today, I can only pause to wonder. Will Titus Young recieve the help he needs without being employed by a business with the resources like the NFL?  There are a lot of resources that players have at their disposal most of us would never have the privilege of employing in our own lives. I'm not willing to be tackled by Ndamukong Suh to get it either. I appreciate having the ability to walk to my seat to watch those fools try to kill each other.
</div>
</div>

If you doubt any other team would offer anything for him I don't understand how you believe the Jags wouldn't have the same attitude. The Jags have more insight into his demons and recovery interest than any team and if they believe he's not a risk worth taking then they know he would be occupying a roster spot quite possibly worthy of another player.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Quote:If you doubt any other team would offer anything for him I don't understand how you believe the Jags wouldn't have the same attitude. The Jags have more insight into his demons and recovery interest than any team and if they believe he's not a risk worth taking then they know he would be occupying a roster spot quite possibly worthy of another player.

The comment was about trading Blackmon. 
The Jags don't have to give up a draft pick to retain him, which would be the case if another team wanted him. If he was just cut, then I'm pretty sure at least one other team would sign him in the hope that he'll be able to overcome his problem. He is a very talented WR.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:If you doubt any other team would offer anything for him I don't understand how you believe the Jags wouldn't have the same attitude. The Jags have more insight into his demons and recovery interest than any team and if they believe he's not a risk worth taking then they know he would be occupying a roster spot quite possibly worthy of another player.

But he's not "occupying" a roster spot.  If he's reinstated and playing, his talents are obvious.  If he doesn't take his recovery serious(or relapses) and gets suspended again, he doesn't count against the 53 man roster and the Jaguars are on hook for little, if any, of his salary.

At this moment in time, the Jaguars have literally no reason to entertain the thought of getting rid of him.  He's a high reward, minimal-at-best risk player to the team.

Blackmon is a difference maker when he is on the field.  He has already dominated a few games in  his short career.  Great  hands, power, break away speed, and toughness. You can't coach those things.  I hope this was a real wake up call and he understands there is no more room for error.  One thing I would say to him is get new friends. Friends who would allow you to get drunk and drive or get high are not your true friends.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

[Image: Justin-Blackmon-Wallpapers-8.jpg]

As Neil Young sang....

"But every junkie's like a setting sun." - The Needle and the Damage Done

Don't expect anything from JB and you won't be disappointed.

I'm afraid he's less than one (season) and done....too bad.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:Jimmy Smith was an excellent burner who can make plays down field. McCardell was a good posiiton receiver. Blackmon is a totally different kind of player. He runs through tacklers and dominates defenders.
He's tougher to tackle than Smith was. But he doesn't have the speed, route running ability or hands that Smith did.

lets just settle this would you rather have Blackmon line up to catch the ball for us or against us...........6 games of blackmon is fine with me

Quote:lets just settle this would you rather have Blackmon line up to catch the ball for us or against us...........6 games of blackmon is fine with me

You sort of lost me. "6 games of blackmon is fine with me". Does that mean he would line up to catch the ball 10 games against us? I don't care much for that option, I want him to line up all 19 games to catch the ball for us.

Quote:You sort of lost me. "6 games of blackmon is fine with me". Does that mean he would line up to catch the ball 10 games against us? I don't care much for that option, I want him to line up all 19 games to catch the ball for us.
just a guess on how many games he will get to play this year(due to suspension) but of course i want him in all of them.

I'm going forward with the thought that he's not on the roster until proven otherwise.  Even then, I'll be skeptical until I see him in uniform on the field on sunday.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014, 03:08 AM by Banatha.)

If he is not in uniform for the preseason I would sue the NFL if I was his agent. Yes the league has a right to rules, but they are also killing his employment and financial potential.

Lets face it the league is a monopoly With that enjoyment and protection granted from the government comes a duty to not restrict anyone with a medical problem from earning a living.

Now before anyone says its not a medical problem, most doctors would disagree, and I would bet quite a few attorneys would be willing to take the case to Federal court.

Do you know how many of the doctors you see are on restrictions because of drug policies? Anybody want to guess? In some areas of Florida and other states as many as 30% of doctors are on drug reinstatement programs through the DEA, the evidence of doctors on drugs is overwhelming, as anyone in Hospital compliance and credentialing can attest. The AMA cannot keep them from practicing.

You cannot have a rule that a medical problem can keep a man from making a living IF the man is otherwise capable of doing the job. Sure I know, it's the rules, but someone is going to test this if we start seeing multi year bans for what is technically a medical issue. Wait and see.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Justin Blackmon signed an agreement under the drug program for the NFL and failed. This was his 3rd time doing so (that we know of). Your reference to physicians and healthcare providers is different, not one would still be employed unless they were in business for themselves after 3 failed drug screens. Yes, the state might not take action, but their employer will. Same here, Blackmon could play for a CFL or AFL team but he is banned from currently playing in the NFL. No different than the healthcare provider being banned by a certain hospital group (which happens all the time).

A doctor under drug rehab may not be able to perform in a hospital, it doesn't stop him from working even for another company. It is rare indeed for a doctor to be shut down completely from peforming his skill set if he has failed 10 drug tests. He may not have a rx pad but he can work.

This is very similar to the CBA and the NFL. They are arbitrarily setting rules, which players are forced to sign basically to be considered for reinstatement or conditional employment.

This is not armed robbery or conduct detrimental to league PR.

The NFL is setting some huge restrictions on playing time,not just a few games, but YEARS? I don't care if they signed an agreement or not, or in the bargaining agreement, when it gets down to saying you can't earn a living because you used to have a medical problem, or continue to have a medical problem, but are receiving treatment, the league is setting itself up for a medical disability lawsuit, he can do his job but some rule saysa THC level or alcohol level which can be viewed as a brain chemical imbalance, should be punative? A players career is 4-6 years and years are being taken away?

It's going to get challenged in today's right to work environment, and I think in good fashion as well.

The man is not robbing banks, killing his girlfriends, he is taking a toke or drinking alcohol  which is legal for adults in certain NFL cities. Add onto that, an admitted medical issue, and the label of the disease of alcoholim and he will play, or he has a crap attorney not willing to go the distance for the player.

No way does a labeled disease stop a player from earning a living in a recognized monopoly.