Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tinfoil hat time. What if Gabbert "gets it" and becomes a pro-bowler?

I saw this on the sci-fi channel; a parallel universe where everything is the exact opposite of reality.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Gabbert is a preseason pro bowler, does that count? 

Quote:I saw this on the sci-fi channel; a parallel universe where everything is the exact opposite of reality.

I remember a Sliders episode in which the 49ers beat the Jets in the 1984 season Super Bowl ,  in a parallel universe.   In our universe,  the 49ers beat the Dolphins in that Super Bowl.  

If Gabbert "gets it" then Henne becomes Peyton, and we still don't need Gabbert

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014, 02:29 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:Gabbert is going to look like a stud in training camp and in preseason.  When the real game matters he will get in his fetal duck and run position.  The guy does not have the heart, period. You can't coach that.

I have never seen a player fear contact like Gabbert become anything but camp fodder.

Just like all Jaguars quarterbacks have done. It isn't just Blaine Gabbert. Garrard played behind the worst offensive line in the NFL, too. So has Chad Henne. All quarterbacks that have played regular season games here in the past five years either fold in half, or chuck the forward pass into the back of somebody pretending to pass block.

Talk about tin foil hats?

The rest of the NFL looks at the celebration of Brad Meester and wonders what's wrong with these people. "You have to be joking, right?"

Be fair.

We have the worst offensive line in the NFL. For some so called Jaguars fans, it seems the only solution is for our center to make a direct snap to the opposing defense.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

So much Gabbert hate.

If Gabbert gets it, then I'd gladly give him another chance.

If he goes somewhere else and becomes successful, I'll be upset. 

I'm a Gabbert fan, and I really hope he does get it because I know he has it in him.

Quote:So much Gabbert hate.

If Gabbert gets it, then I'd gladly give him another chance.

If he goes somewhere else and becomes successful, I'll be upset. 

I'm a Gabbert fan, and I really hope he does get it because I know he has it in him.

I want what's best for the team; whether it's a new guy or a current guy who becomes great doesn't matter. I just want a guy to become great. And I'll cheer for any guy in a Jags uniform to become that guy. I don't need to improve my own self-esteem by publicly flogging the current guys, I just keep rooting for their success.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I'm still trying to figure out where a ten foil or tin foil hat even come into play. They're associated with wild conspiracy theories.

That's just my tin sense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

not happening.  he gone.

no

Quote:I want what's best for the team; whether it's a new guy or a current guy who becomes great doesn't matter. I just want a guy to become great. And I'll cheer for any guy in a Jags uniform to become that guy. I don't need to improve my own self-esteem by publicly flogging the current guys, I just keep rooting for their success.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The past means nothing in the NFL, or all of football for that matter. With every snap the last one is in the past. 

People who insult and put down Gabbert are just trying to make themselves feel better. Whoever the starter is next year, I'll root for that starter for as long as they're at the helm. 

Quote:Who wears tenfoil hats?

A paranoid Hydra?

Quote:I'm still trying to figure out where a ten foil or tin foil hat even come into play. They're associated with wild conspiracy theories.

That's just my tin sense.

Obviously Gabbert's horrendous play is a conspiracy led by the Gator-infested media.

Quote:Gabbert might "get it" regarding all the book crap. Chalk talk. His problem is the game moves too fast for him, and he seems to fear contract. Rarely if ever steps up in the pocket. 

Those things have remained consistent throughout his career. I don't think either are changing at this point.

I'd keep him around next year if we keep 3 QB, thats about it. 
What part of the "contract" does Gabbert fear? Is his tax rate too high, is he worried he will be traded to a team that has a state income tax?

What was the knock on Alex Smith early in his career?

He went to a bad 9ers team. Changed OCs and Head coaches every season.

The team was built up around him, not necessarily for him however. And he matured and learned through a lot of trial by fire.

He still isn't an elite QB and never will be. But very serviceable and at times looks really good on the field, even now in KC.

Sometimes guys are over drafted but turn out to be OK later down the road. It is very possible it happens with Gabbert. I'm not saying it will, nor am I really hoping it will.

Just saying it is possible. 

If the combine, pro days, private work outs, interviews, free agency, and draft steer Caldwell away from drafting one of the "top dogs" this year Gabbert will have one final shot in Jax.

Hell, even if we draft a guy, he'll probably be given a shot in camp. If he can't beat out a rook, which I believe won't be handed the job 'just cuz', then he doesn't deserve a job. But if he does enough to "win" the job and let the rook sit, if there is one, so that our new QB doesn't get shell shocked, I'm OK with that too.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM by Dockerill91.)

Quote:Easy there. As Jedd Fisch candidly revealed Gabbert already gets it. It just hasn't transfered from practice to the game field.

Entering his fourth season as an NFL quarterback, Gabbert has plenty of playing time. Many NFL quarterbacks, including high draft picks, do nothing more than mop up in their first three seasons. Gabbert has not had the benefit of learning behind a solid veteran.The critics point out that he lost the starting job to Henne. It's the other way around. Henne was the veteran.

In year one, the quarterback draftee learns the system. In year two, the quarterback draftee learns to make the specific plays within the system. Year three, the quarterback draftee learns to execute the fine details of the offense. Year fourth the quarterback draftee is now a solid veteran and is prepared as the starting quarterback within the system.

This isn't PlayStation. This isn't what you see is what you get. The development of a pro passer is much more fluid than some think.

Success is predicated on a lot more than drafting a quarterback and plugging him in.

Before any quarterback can do what you are suggesting the Jaguars have to have an offensive line capable of carrying his weight all season.

Scouts are capable of expressing the eventuality of drafting a player without actually having to draft the player to prove it.

X1. This is exactly how I feel. Gabbert was drafted solely on potential and then thrown in from day 1 and was expected to show ability. People need to understand the 2 are very very different.

I wish it would happen. But sadly I don't think so.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:What was the knock on Alex Smith early in his career?

He went to a bad 9ers team. Changed OCs and Head coaches every season.

The team was built up around him, not necessarily for him however. And he matured and learned through a lot of trial by fire.

He still isn't an elite QB and never will be. But very serviceable and at times looks really good on the field, even now in KC.

Sometimes guys are over drafted but turn out to be OK later down the road. It is very possible it happens with Gabbert. I'm not saying it will, nor am I really hoping it will.

Just saying it is possible. 

If the combine, pro days, private work outs, interviews, free agency, and draft steer Caldwell away from drafting one of the "top dogs" this year Gabbert will have one final shot in Jax.

Hell, even if we draft a guy, he'll probably be given a shot in camp. If he can't beat out a rook, which I believe won't be handed the job 'just cuz', then he doesn't deserve a job. But if he does enough to "win" the job and let the rook sit, if there is one, so that our new QB doesn't get shell shocked, I'm OK with that too.

While Alex Smith has graduated to the point where he's at least not terrible....he's still not a QB I'd want on my team. You're winning nothing of importance with that guy. Andy will get a lot out of Alex Smith, but Alex will never be good enough to get you that Lombardi trophy. 

Quote:While Alex Smith has graduated to the point where he's at least not terrible....he's still not a QB I'd want on my team. You're winning nothing of importance with that guy. Andy will get a lot out of Alex Smith, but Alex will never be good enough to get you that Lombardi trophy. 

i think your logic is flawed.  you say any season that doesn't end with a super bowl is not measured as successful.  i think it's important to build a roster to put yourself to be in a position to win as many super bowls as possible.  Reid will get a lot out of Smith because players like Smith can be surrounded by elite talent and win division titles.  if you build your team to make it to the playoffs with home field advantage in one or two games, then you put yourself in a great position to win lombardi trophies.  just because mcnabb or kelly never won a super bowl doesn't condemn the practice of building a proper team. 

however i would take a rodgers or brees over mcnabb or kelly 9 times out of 10, because those guys can by themselves win you the division, get hot, and win the super bowl.  but building a roster and choosing the perfect QB for your system are not mutually exclusive.  you want to get a serviceable qb to start while your elite player develops.  brady, rodgers, and to a similar extent brees (who was the starter, but in the wrong system) are examples of that.  manning is the exception, you most likely over reach and get a safford or worse alex smith - who can do well, but shouldn't be picked at the top of the draft while the opportunity allows you to develop an elite position elsewhere.