Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is taking a tackle in the top 5 smart?

The Patriots have had basically 2 left tackles during the Brady years, Nate Solder and before him, Matt Light. Neither is a "great" player, both are solid but they are not household names.

The constant for them has been left guard Logan Mankins, a "who?" #1 pick back in '05 out of Fresno St. Mankins is a mean, tough dude who rarely misses any time and has been to 5-6 Pro Bowls.

I think it's synergistic- Mankins made both those guys better and they him.

That's the "all-important" left side of their OL, the right side and center have been a revolving door for years. Vollmer is pretty good at RT but has an injury history...the real stability comes from the left side.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When you don't have a good LT it's imperative that you get one.

That may be true, but the question is: Do you need to draft one in the top 5?

Super Bowl Champion LT's

Ravens - Bryant McKinnie  2003/Round 1/ Pick 7-8

XVI: Giants - David Diehl --

XLV: Packers - Chad Clifton, 2000/Round 2/Pick 44

<span style="color:#000000;font-size:15px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">XLIV: Saints -- Jermon Bushrod, 2007/Round 4/Pick 125
XLIII: Steelers -- Max Starks, 2004/Round 3/Pick 75
XLII: Giants - David Diehl, 2003/Round 5/Pick 160
XLI: Colts -- Tarik Glenn, 1997/Round 1/Pick 19
XL: Steelers - Marvel Smith, 2000/Round 2/Pick 38
XXXIX: Patriots- Matt Light --
XXXVIII: Patriots - Matt Light, 2002/Round 2/Pick 48
XXXVI: Bucs - Roman Oben, 1996/Round 3/Pick 66</span>

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:That may be true, but the question is: Do you need to draft one in the top 5?

Super Bowl Champion LT's

<span style="color:#000000;font-size:15px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">XLIV: Saints -- Jermon Bushrod, 2007/Round 4/Pick 125

No, but we already have so it's moot.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:No, but we already have so it's moot.

Everything is moot, it's the offseason and there's not much to talk about.

I'm not mad we drafted Luke.  I think the top of last years draft (at least so far) is looking kind of weak.  Hopefully Luke becomes a really good player.  It will help.  Not as much to warrant the #2 pick, but he will definitely help.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I said it wasn't smart last year and look where it got me.  I don't think it really matters.  Just get the QB.

We picked joeckel because no one wanted to trade and he was the best player available

If we pick Matthews with the third we are idiots especially as pasztor and Bradfield have both had good seasons and provide depth at the position

Pastzor is a good pass blocker and an average run blocker...a preseason at the position as the starter will help clean up his footwork and get him more comfortable and if he can increase his weight a little and keep conditioned he will have a bigger impact in the run game

there is not a single guard or center I would take in the first round and if we don't believe in the qbs and des in this draft we will certainly have trade value and if we can trade back to around 8 there is so much talent someone will fall to us

Mack watkins Barr have all fallen to 8 in peoples mock drafts and all are good value at that pick

Matthews would be frankly ridiculous

Quote:Matthews would be frankly ridiculous

I think there's absolutely 0% chance of us getting another tackle that high for a long time.

Quote:That may be true, but the question is: Do you need to draft one in the top 5?

Super Bowl Champion LT's

If that's where the value is, yeah. Only 3 of the last 13 Superbowl winning QBs were picked in the top 5 too.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM by La Arma.)

A highly drafted OT is only as valuable as the guys he's blocking for.

As for us, I think you have to look at the other guys we could have had at #2. Considering the top offensive skill players (based on draft order) were Tavon Austin and EJ Manuel, we had no choice but to take Joeckel because that was the only guy with the value that matched.

@OnGuardJax

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:QB's still in the playoffs:

Brees, Brady, Manning, Luck, Wilson, Rivers, Kaep, Newton.

It's all about the QB. Find that first and then put pieces around them.

Thats a great post. The best 8 QB are still alive.

Look at this past weekend. 

In all 4 games, the team with the perceived better QB won. - Not even necessarily the QB that played better (or put up better numbers) in each game. But it just goes to show you theres something to it. 

Quote:Thats a great post. The best 8 QB are still alive.

Look at this past weekend. 

In all 4 games, the team with the perceived better QB won. - Not even necessarily the QB that played better (or put up better numbers) in each game. But it just goes to show you theres something to it. 

I would argue Rodgers is a better QB than Kaepernick, but I get your point.

It's no secret, everyone knows you need that QB if you want to consistently be among the best NFL teams.

Quote:I would argue Rodgers is a better QB than Kaepernick, but I get your point.

It's no secret, everyone knows you need that QB if you want to consistently be among the best NFL teams.

Yes, that one could be argued, although I did hear a stat the other day about Rodgers being something like 5-13 in games decided by a TD or less. Thats not too good....

If you swapped Aaron Rodgers with Kaep, that game would have been an absolute blowout imo, and also San Fran would be the heavy favorites to win the Superbowl.

Imagine Rodgers with Boldin, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Crabtree, their O-line, plus that Defense. Would be deadly.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Quote:If you swapped Aaron Rodgers with Kaep, that game would have been an absolute blowout imo, and also San Fran would be the heavy favorites to win the Superbowl.

Imagine Rodgers with Boldin, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Crabtree, their O-line, plus that Defense. Would be deadly.

Its not as if Rodgers is stuck with chopped liver on his own offense. Jordy Nelson,  Randall Cobb, Eddie Lacy....

IMO, the difference in that game wasn't passing weapons, but San Fran simply has a MUCH better defense than does Green Bay. Both QB are high level. 

Has to be a defensive stud or a qb anyway you look at it.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM by SuperJville.)

Tackles drafted in the top 10

2011: Tyron Smith, Cowboys

2010: Russell Okung, Seahawks

2009: Jason Smith, Rams; Andre Smith, Bengals; Eugene Monroe, Jaguars

2008: Jake Long, Dolphins

2007: Joe Thomas, Browns; Levi Brown, Cardinals

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">2006: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">2005: None
2004: Robert Gallery, Raiders

2003: None

2002: Mike Williams, Bills; Bryant McKinnie, Vikings</span></span>

I don't see a single franchise changing player on this list.

My hope is that our path is similar to the Seahawks..  Get the LT and then get the franchise QB.  Without the franchise QB, the LT is completely pointless.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Tackles drafted in the top 10

2011: Tyron Smith, Cowboys

2010: Russell Okung, Seahawks

2009: Jason Smith, Rams; Andre Smith, Bengals; Eugene Monroe, Jaguars

2008: Jake Long, Dolphins

2007: Joe Thomas, Browns; Levi Brown, Cardinals

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">2006: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">2005: None
2004: Robert Gallery, Raiders

2003: None

2002: Mike Williams, Bills; Bryant McKinnie, Vikings</span></span>

I don't see a single franchise changing player on this list.

My hope is that our path is similar to the Seahawks..  Get the LT and then get the franchise QB.  Without the franchise QB, the LT is completely pointless.

WHile I agree....and theres no way I'd take a Tackle at 3 this season, even if the Jags needed one, taking Joeckel last year at 2 was probably the only option Caldwell had. He was pretty much the consensus BAP at that moment in a weak draft - or at least weak top 5. 

If people are worried about us getting jake Matthews then... dont

Quote:If people are worried about us getting jake Matthews then... dont

I'm not. 

The Rams aren't taking him at 2, either. 

Quote:Has to be a defensive stud or a qb anyway you look at it.
I agree... It's way too early to tell who should be drafted but right now, it should be Clowney, Manziel or Teddy IMO.