Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Would You Feel if the Jaguars Don't Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd?

I would feel like they did their due diligence and did not over draft the hyped up Qbs seventy five percent of this board wants.

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would be pissed because we would have our usual 3-5 win season.

Quote:That'd be fine if we had or got a Stop-gap QB.  But we don't have one right now.  I think Caldwell will be judged on his QB non-selection as well as his eventual QB selection. Whoever we eventually get will have to be better than the QB's he passes on.  So far, so good.  But we'll see after this year.
I completely agree.  Time will tell, let's just hope he gets it right.

Regardless of how it shakes out, if Chad Henne or Blaine Gabbert are starting at QB next year I'll feel frustrated.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I will be mildly disappointed that no slam dunk QB prospects were available at the third pick and no realistically promising QBs were available at the 2nd round through 4th round picks. After that, meh. Then I will do what I usually do when events that are out of my control occur. I'll get over it, fairly quickly.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:If Bridgewater and Manziel are off the board at 3, and Bortles goes in the mid first, then I'll feel that Caldwell was actually smart and didn't panic or overpay just to get a QB. 

The worst thing he could do is panic and overdraft one like Bortles at 3 or Carr in the 2nd round. 

Even if they don't get one in the first or 2nd they can always trade a 3rd round pick for Mallett and that would be a better option than Carr-bage, or overdrafting Bortles at 3. 
Word for word almost exactly my thought process. I don't like anyone at #3 except Manziel, Bridgewater, or Clowney. I really don't think anyone should else should be that high.

I still think Jake Matthews is one of those top 5 guys and that he SHOULD go to St. Louis, but St. Louis has proven in the past how inept they are in the draft.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here as far as arm-chair GMs go, but i simply don't know enough about scouting these college QBs to have a solid opinion one way or the other.  Sure i like certain guys every year but it's hard enough for NFL GMs to get it right with QBs, i'm certainly not going to act like i know what's best. I will go with what Caldwell and his scouts choose to do and hope they get it right. 

If we don't take 1 at 3, you have to assume we'd trade back into the first to grab someone. 

Quote:If Bridgewater and Manziel are off the board at 3, and Bortles goes in the mid first, then I'll feel that Caldwell was actually smart and didn't panic or overpay just to get a QB. 

The worst thing he could do is panic and overdraft one like Bortles at 3 or Carr in the 2nd round. 

Even if they don't get one in the first or 2nd they can always trade a 3rd round pick for Mallett and that would be a better option than Carr-bage, or overdrafting Bortles at 3. 

I think it would take more than a three to pry Mallett loose from Belichick.

Quote:Regardless of how it shakes out, if Chad Henne or Blaine Gabbert are starting at QB next year I'll feel frustrated.

I'd put the odds of Gabbert starting for the Jaguars next year right along those of God tearing open the skies and proclaiming that Tim Tebow is, in fact, the second coming of Jesus.

Henne starting, on the other hand, is something I could see happening if the Jags draft a QB that they feel will need a year to sit and learn, someone like Boyd or McCarron.

If the Jaguars have Bridgewater on the board at three overall and they pass, I'll be disappointed. Otherwise, I'll pretty much trust that Caldwell saw a better player elsewhere. With Caldwell coming from the need-heavy Falcons draft room, if he passes on quarterbacks, I'll take it as a sign that he really thinks they stink and trust him on it.

If we don't oh well.

Its not the end of the world. And if the 3rd - 7th round QB isn't the answer then he won't stop Caldwell from drafting another QB next year.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:If we don't oh well.

Its not the end of the world. And if the 3rd - 7th round QB isn't the answer then he won't stop Caldwell from drafting another QB next year.
What happened to 2nd round?

Quote:What happened to 2nd round?

Well the question in the OP is "How Would You Feel if the Jaguars Don't Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd?"
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

If they truly don't see value in grabbing QBs in the first or second round, I would be mildly disappointed, but I'd understand the mindset of not wanting to reach for someone in some sort of panic impulse.  If that was the situation, I would rather see Caldwell focus on fixing as much as he possibly can around the QB in this draft and free agency, then plan for how to get to the top of the draft in 2015 without having to lose your way to the top. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:STOP BEING SCARED TO DRAFT A QB. 

I see this line thrown around a lot.  I pick up more fear of not drafting a QB high from those using it than fear from those that are suggesting taking the best player available in their eyes.

As long as we get value in our picks, I'll be okay.  As long as we don't end the day scratching our heads and wondering what the heck just happened (ala Gene Smith draft).  Caldwell seems to be a value oriented GM that isn't going to panic or stick to a mediocre approach.  If his guy is there that the scouts grade out he will exercise options to pull the trigger.  I swear sometime it seemed like we got on the clock with Gene and the whole draft board was thrown away.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

If we don't draft one in the 1st or 2nd round you can be assured we'll have the top pick the next draft and that might be a better option with Winston possibly coming out.

Regards.................the Chiefjag

Quote:I'm sure I'm in the minority here as far as arm-chair GMs go, but i simply don't know enough about scouting these college QBs to have a solid opinion one way or the other.  Sure i like certain guys every year but it's hard enough for NFL GMs to get it right with QBs, i'm certainly not going to act like i know what's best. I will go with what Caldwell and his scouts choose to do and hope they get it right. 

That's my position, too.  

That said, I am fine with just building the team without getting a QB.   There are a dozen different ways to get a QB.  Just look at all the playoff teams and you can see that. 

Russell Wilson was a third round pick, Drew Brees was a free agent, Nick Foles was a third round pick, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck were first overall picks.  Aaron Rogers was picked in the 20s, Colin Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick, and of course Tom Brady was just a purely lucky pick in the 6th round.   A franchise QB can come in many different ways.   Sometimes it pays to be patient. 

Quote:If they truly don't see value in grabbing QBs in the first or second round, I would be mildly disappointed, but I'd understand the mindset of not wanting to reach for someone in some sort of panic impulse.  If that was the situation, I would rather see Caldwell focus on fixing as much as he possibly can around the QB in this draft and free agency, then plan for how to get to the top of the draft in 2015 without having to lose your way to the top. 

I see a lot of value in that approach.  Rookie quarterbacks seem to do real well when they are drafted onto good teams, with an adequate supporting cast around them. 

If the Jags don't take a QB early, I'll be so mad I'll complain vehemently online for weeks, if not years.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Quote:If the Jags don't take a QB early, I'll be so mad I'll complain vehemently online for weeks, if not years.

Well you've come to the right place