Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should Brandon Allen start at least one game this season?
This poll is closed.
Yes
76.40%
123 76.40%
No
23.60%
38 23.60%
Total 161 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Brandon Allen - Should he start at least one game?

Let's ask spacecoast.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Starting Allen over Bortles is admitting failure.  It ain't gonna happen.
I agree. I'm also of the opinion that he will not be an upgrade at all. He's a seventh round rookie, I mean c'mon. 

Or he could be the next Tom Brady...who knows?

Have you seen my baseball?

The Colts game would seem like a good opportunity for Brandon Allen as it's against a Defense that's far from the best in the NFL.   Though Tennessee's pass Defense has personnel issues,   going up against a Dick LeBeau coached Defense would be a difficult task for a rookie QB.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2016, 12:45 PM by StitchJones.)

Yeah, I can see both sides of this argument and I think they're both valid. It's a tough call; on the one hand, you've got Bortles, whom I shall polity describe as 'a known entity'. He is at or near the bottom in too many categories that are significant for a quarterback. Too much of his positive stats have been gained during what amounts to 'garbage time'.

Then you have Allen, who is largely an unknown. He played a couple of pre-season games and didn't exactly set the world on fire. He has never taken a single snap in a regular season game and has probably not had any significant time under center with the first team since the season started. He didn't give any indication that he was a 'world beater' during the pre-season, and playing him before he is actually ready for this level could be bad for him in the long run.

We all remember Blaine Gabbert and what 'throwing him to the wolves' before he was really ready did to him psychologically. Do we really want to chance repeating that mistake with Allen... who may or may not be worth much anyway over a season which is already, for all practical purposes, over for us?

I'm not concerned with this season any more; stick a fork in it folks... we're done. At best, all we can do with the remaining games is to use them to develop talent we already have on the roster. Since I anticipate that we will be looking at a new coach next season, any prior evaluation of talent will be pretty meaningless and therefore not a good reason to throw unprepared players to the wolves.

Still, in the final analysis, the only meaningful way to prepare for real NFL games is to play in real NFL games. From that point of view, we're in an ideal situation since the season is a wash and we've nothing to lose by playing inexperienced guys. They get real life experience without the pressure of any expectation of actually winning, unlike with Gabbert who was looked at with high expectation (in view of how high he was drafted by Gene).

So when push comes to shove, I say yes; play him; but, with the caveat that there's no pressure to win. Essentially, we turn our remaining games into 'pre-season' games.

Quote:BB5 definitely has a shoulder injury. It is quite obvious as he is seen wincing in pain quite often during the games. I already lean towards the notion it is impacting his accuracy big time. As far as Gus, yeah absolutely.

His throwing motion has actually improved since he can't wind up with that bad shoulder

Quote:Yeah, I can see both sides of this argument and I think they're both valid. It's a tough call; on the one hand, you've got Bortles, whom I shall polity describe as 'a known entity'. He is at or near the bottom in too many categories that are significant for a quarterback. Too much of his positive stats have been gained during what amounts to 'garbage time'.

Then you have Allen, who is largely an unknown. He played a couple of pre-season games and didn't exactly set the world on fire. He has never taken a single snap in a regular season game and has probably not had any significant time under center with the first team since the season started. He didn't give any indication that he was a 'world beater' during the pre-season, and playing him before he is actually ready for this level could be bad for him in the long run.

We all remember Blaine Gabbert and what 'throwing him to the wolves' before he was really ready did to him psychologically. Do we really want to chance repeating that mistake with Allen... who may or may not be worth much anyway over a season which is already, for all practical purposes, over for us?

I'm not concerned with this season any more; stick a fork in it folks... we're done. At best, all we can do with the remaining games is to use them to develop talent we already have on the roster. Since I anticipate that we will be looking at a new coach next season, any prior evaluation of talent will be pretty meaningless and therefore not a good reason to throw unprepared players to the wolves.

Still, in the final analysis, the only meaningful way to prepare for real NFL games is to play in real NFL games. From that point of view, we're in an ideal situation since the season is a wash and we've nothing to lose by playing inexperienced guys. They get real life experience without the pressure of any expectation of actually winning, unlike with Gabbert who was looked at with high expectation (in view of how high he was drafted by Gene).

So when push comes to shove, I say yes; play him; but, with the caveat that there's no pressure to win. Essentially, we turn our remaining games into 'pre-season' games.

I think there's a bit of difference here with a lot of the "thrown to the wolves" scenario.

Blaine Gabbert came in on a shortened off-season, with a weak supporting cast, bad OL. The same can be said of Blake (minus the shortened off-season).

We're now 14 games into the year. He's had plenty of time to sit and learn the game. He has good receivers and frankly the Oline's pass blocking has held up for the most part this season. If he doesn't see real NFL time this season, even if he outplays Blake in preseason next year (or whoever else is in competition) there will always be that lingering question of "well we haven't seen him in a real game".

We have Houston, Tennessee, and Indy coming up...the three teams in our division. What best way to evaluate him than against three division opponents all going after the division crown late in the season?

We rushed Gabbert into action and it ruined him...no...wait. Actually, the verdict is out, and Gabbert officially sucks. We were able to tell pretty early that Gabbert was a bust. I'm all for letting Allen show us what he can do with the first string. I mean, at this point what do you have to lose? What if we put him in and he stinks? What would it matter? A 2-10 record stinks already, can't makes us look any worse if he were to fail.

Quote:I'm not doubting that BB5 is actually playing with pain...most players are playing with pain.

As are the fans.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I'm not in pain, just numb.

Have you seen my baseball?

How about numb with pain?

If I recall from preclinical days that's sciatica, resulting from irritation of a nerve in the spine. Anyhow, I am done for now. It's been fun, and a while since I graced these parts. The Jags are just boring to me now. So inept it's dull...
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

One?  Give him all 4. 

The season is lost.

Put him in there in an obvious "no pressure" situation.  If he loses, he loses.  Not like Blake was getting it done anyways.  Plus, we draft higher.

Look at the Jets... they're already on to Petty for the last 4 games to see what they have.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

A competent coach would have made a QB change at halftime against the Titans.

A month or so ago, I was in favor of giving Allen some time.  But, now, with four weeks to go, and since we are gonna give Bortles one more year (what's the point of cutting him?), just let Bortles finish it out and let's not risk screwing up whatever ability Allen has.

Right now, Hackett is trying to turn BB into a poor man's version (I mean, very poor man's version) of Steve Young.  He wants him running more.........which, really, is the only thing Hackett could do at this point.  "Hey Blake, unless you're sure you can complete the pass, just take off and run."  And, I mean, he's got good wheels, so I get it.  Let's just spend the last four weeks, and training camp, etc., allowing for the maybe 1% chance that this has in becoming a successful long-term system.......and, also not screw up Allen.

Next year in camp, it'll be Bortles and his good wheels and piss-poor mechanics, Allen, and whichever kid we draft or sign/trade in free agency.

This season is over, but Allen won't see a light of day because this team is fully committed to #5.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Do we see what we have in the rookie, or do we give Bortles more time to be able to evaluate him fully?

It's not going to happen barring injury.  If any other QB is going to start a game this season it's going to be Henne.  Allen is inactive every week for a reason.

The mindset of so many people blows me away.  You don't "concede" the season no matter the record.  That's the definition of "giving up" and/or "quitting".  You always put your best players available on the field no matter what.

The final record for the season "is what it is".  Both players and fans need to accept that.

Failure is easier (and the better option) to accept than quitting.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:A competent coach would have made a QB change at halftime against the Titans.
But those 300 yards and 3 TDs while down 4 scores account for damn near 15% of his total production this year. Without that his anemic rate stats look downright dreadful.

At first I thought yes.  But after thinking about it, maybe not.  If you play Allen the last 4 games and he lights it up, that would be a good outcome.  But that would be the only good scenario.  If you play him less than that, you probably have too small of a sample size.  If you play him 4 games and he's anything less that spectacular, you've wasted Bortles reps and experience.  As bad as Bortles is playing, the whole idea is for him to get better for next year, whether he's the starter or not.  Even if he can't fix his mechanics this year, he can still gain experience.

But looking at it from the perspective of the coaching staff, they're not going to waste their last 4 games on an experiment, and playing Henne would be nonsensical.  The coaching staff isn't playing for next year, so Allen may not even be a consideration.  

It makes too much sense.  Alas, he is still third string.  I doubt he see's any playing time this season.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

nah... if he hasn't lost a game.. he might be salvageable when a new coach takes over.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana