Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Bridgewater Could Fall

[quote name="Kodiak" post="79785" timestamp="1386635992"]

Trust Caldwell. And hope Carr falls to us. Hes as good as Teddy, with more upside.[/quote

Chill... Only thing Carr has on Teddy is arm strength and deep ball placement. I would love Carr though, hes just not as good as Teddy IMO.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, a lot could happen.  I remember when Aaron Rodgers was being raked against the coles pre-draft and Alex Smith was that year's "riser."  I'm hoping GM's over-analyze Bridgewater and weigh his physical attributes and college schedule highly. 

I'd be thrilled if he fell to us.  I think we'll be fine either way, though.

My fear is that we end up somewhere close to the middle of round one, miss out on the top 2-3 passers & pass rushers, and we force a pick on Manziel.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I think, from what I've scouted, that Bridgewater and Carr are equal in terms of overall value. Not to mention Barr, who could be a legitimate star in our defense.

I have recorded two Fresno State games but haven't watched them yet, but what I'm gathering, Carr is gaining momentum.  I think Barr could be a stud in our defense...but I'm not sure if we'll pick high enough to land him.

Quote:Maybe the Jags could just find a way to forfeit the games that they won. That's what you wanted all along anyway.

Then you and your crew can cheer for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front.

That would obviously be a more realistic expectation than, say, you having anything remotely resembling a substantive football take.

I mean...just one post where you offer your own opinion of a player's strengths and weaknesses and why he would/would not make sense for the team to draft him.

Just one post where you offer more than peanut gallery chides on other posters' analysis and/or the patented "I'll just trust the front office" screed.

It's way past time.

Quote:My fear is that we end up somewhere close to the middle of round one, miss out on the top 2-3 passers & pass rushers, and we force a pick on Manziel.

I don't think Manziel is on Caldwell's radar unless he falls to round two -- in which I still think we pass on him.  Granted, I don't know what's going on in Caldwell's brilliant noggin, but still.  I doubt it happens.

I think if we fall to mid-round one, we roll the dice on Blake Bortles, or draft a more "sure thing" in IEO or Hageman.  Still a lot of options.

Quote:I don't think you get it about Bridgewater. Watch whatever video you can get your hands on...there's nothing there.

Nothing? I wouldn't say nothing. He moves around the pocket as good as anyone. His dropback is OK. He squares his shoulders and utilizes his hips on his rollouts. In fact, he's pretty good when he's outside the pocket. I think his fundamentals are good.

Quote:My fear is that we end up somewhere close to the middle of round one, miss out on the top 2-3 passers & pass rushers, and we force a pick on Manziel.

What do people see in Manziel? I'm sure he'll go at the back of the 1st round (like Tebow), but athleticism aside, he doesn't have what it takes. Caldwell doesn't really strike me as someone that would risk a 1st round pick on someone like Manziel.

I can't really picture Caldwell selecting manziel In any round

Why all the hating on Manziel?

Quote:The last QB that fell in the draft who was highly touted as a prospect was a guy named Blaine Gabbert.

If Bridgewater falls and multiple teams pass on him I hope Caldwell thinks long and hard as to why he's falling.

Does Aaron Rodgers ring a bell?

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 12:28 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:Does Aaron Rodgers ring a bell?
I was pointing out recent QBs, but even still it doesn't change my point. If a highly touted QB falls, and teams pass on that QB, I hope Caldwell is wise enough to demonstrate due diligence to determine why and also deem whether or not he should be the one to end the fall.

Rodgers had the benefit of learning on the bench behind a future Hall of Famer which has undoubtedly aided in his success. The QB Caldwell drafts won't have that luxury and will be thrown in the furnace almost immediately.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 12:37 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Quote:Trust Caldwell. And hope Carr falls to us. Hes as good as Teddy, with more upside.

You just aren't going to let this Carr thing go, are you? My God, you hijack every thread with your agenda. He does not look like a 1st round QB, and certainly not a top 10 pick.

Quote:You just aren't going to let this Carr thing go, are you? My God, you hijack every thread with your agenda. He does not look like a 1st round QB, and certainly not a top 10 pick.

According to who, you?

Carr is rising up the draft boards whether you like it or not. Take a quick look around the interweb. I can guarantee your opinion is in the minority.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:According to who, you?

Carr is rising up the draft boards whether you like it or not. Take a quick look around the interweb. I can guarantee your opinion is in the minority.

Utah St. was the first full game I really watched of his and I personally wasn't impressed. The 2 picks he threw were just God awful and he did nothing to impress me.

Apparently you have all 32 GM's phone lines tapped, so you know more than I do. Bridgewater and Carr both play in pathetic conferences and there are no guarantees. I hope DC signs a veteran like Cutler.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 01:13 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:The last QB that fell in the draft who was highly touted as a prospect was a guy named Blaine Gabbert.

If Bridgewater falls and multiple teams pass on him I hope Caldwell thinks long and hard as to why he's falling.
Errr that would be Geno Smith of West Virginia.

Most mock drafts had him pegged as the number one over-all headed to Kansas City. Their fans were ridiculously rabid for him all the way up to the draft.

Geno Smith fell all the way out of round one and was finally taken seventh in round two.

This was just last year.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:According to who, you?

Any fan who watches him is in the minority. How many people do you think watch FRESNO STATE games?

Quote:Errr that would be Geno Smith of West Virginia.

Most mock drafts had him pegged as the number one over-all headed to Kansas City. Their fans were ridiculously rabid for him all the way up to the draft.

Geno Smith fell all the way out of round one and was finally taken seventh in round two.

And Smith is only starting because Sanchez was put on iR.

Quote:Errr that would be Geno Smith of West Virginia.

Smith's draft stock took a big hit midseason, and soon after KC traded for Alex Smith it became apparent that Geno wasn't really all that good. From a prospect standpoint Gabbert was considered a better player and QB.

I'd compare Geno Smith's fall more to Jimmy Clausen than to Gabbert.  Gabbert fell in a draft that had quarterback depth.  Jimmy Clausen? Not so much. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 01:11 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:Any fan who watches him is in the minority. How many people do you think watch FRESNO STATE games?

People who follow the draft closely. FRESNO STATE is playing in a pretty big bowl game against USC. Plenty of people will get the opportunity to watch him if they haven't already.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 01:28 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:Utah St. was the first full game I really watched of his and I personally wasn't impressed. The 2 picks he threw were just God awful and he did nothing to impress me.

Apparently you have all 32 GM's phone lines tapped, so you know more than I do. Bridgewater and Carr both play in pathetic conferences and there are no guarantees. I hope DC signs a veteran like Cutler.
No QB is a guarantee in this draft. There aren't any Luck type once in a decade prospects coming out this year. That doesn't mean that you still cant get a Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco type QB in the draft, who will cost about 1/3 of what you would pay for a 31 year old, injury riddled Cutler.

Before the start of the season Carr was deemed as a mid round pick. Now he's being discussed as a potential first rounder. I would call that a pretty big rise in draft stock.

Quote:In fact, I had multiple scouts tell me that he could enter the discussion as a first-round candidate after displaying his talent in front of evaluators at a possible BCS bowl game, the Senior Bowl and the NFL combine.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285845/article/film-room-fresno-state-qb-derek-carr-keeps-trending-up'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285845/article/film-room-fresno-state-qb-derek-carr-keeps-trending-up</a>