Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
7-9

Quote:It would be hard to NOT be happy with going 7-1 after the bye

I agree....and I was one that was totally for tanking the games and finishing with the top draft pick. But to be honest, its not very much fun. During the actual game day I'm rooting for the Jags to win anyway. 

I am starting to have the feeling that if the Jags continue to win, the things that need to take care of themselves will. In other words we don't have to finish lousy just to get our QB. 

If it happens fine, but if we win then, even better. 

A 6 game winning streak to close out the season will be a good momentum boost for the offseason/ next season. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:A 7-9 record would be a moral victory for many; I understand the desire to win. However, I may be in the minority, but I would rather take the longer term benefit of losing out and see 7 rounds of better draft picks (especially in rounds 1 and 2).

The problem with that is, what does losing out reveal about the team, and  what would winning out reveal about the team. 

Losing out, yes we have a better draft pick, but it would reveal the fact that we have a very weak team to build on.   Winning out would reveal us to have a much better team to build on, and a really great coaching staff that can that take THIS bunch and go 7-9.  

That's what the tankers don't understand.    Winning and losing is never meaningless.   Winning and losing is a measure of what kind of team you have, what kind of coaches you have, and what kind of front office you have.   You want a high draft pick and a crappy team, crappy coaching staff, and crappy front office?   Or do you want a later draft pick and a good bunch of young players to build around, with a great coaching staff and front office.  

Why is it so hard for people to understand this?   Losing means we SUCK.   SUCKING means we are in a VERY BAD SITUATION.   Winning and losing mean something.   It's never meaningless.    The first pick in the draft will go to the crappiest team in the league.    I would rather not be in that situation going into next year.   No sane person would.  

The so-called tankers completely miss this.   To get the first pick in the draft you have to pay a very high price.   You have to SUCK.  

Quote:Proof of this momentum? I don't believe in it. Where was it at in 2008?

The Jags weren't set up with quality people at the top at that point. 

I am hoping they are now. And if they are, I do believe things will work out in the end, regardless of winning these games and hurting the draft position. 

Its funny how luck seems to favor the smart. 

Quote:I'd be pretty happy with 7-9 and AJ McCarron in the 1st and Aaron Murray with a day 3 pick. 
mccarron will not be a first rounder

2008 was the end of an effort to build the roster, this is the start of an effort to build the roster.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:mccarron will not be a first rounder

I could see a Mosley in the 1st and McCarron in the 2nd

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013, 06:43 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:mccarron will not be a first rounder

Not so sure he won't be. You could be right, but I'm thinking late first rounder at worst. Probably will be selected somewhere between 14th-30th. 

Take a peek at the 2008 draft class, as well as some of our all-star pickups in free agency that year, including the great Jerry Porter.

The massive difference between us ending 07' with a playoff victory and us ending this season with a good streak of wins is this, After 07 most of us here including our GM thought we were just a few players away from being superbowl contenders. Hence us trading up for Harvey, signing guys like Porter. We saw the chance to win at that exact moment and we jumped on it and fell flat on our faces.

This season we know we aren't just a few players away from being superbowl contenders. We aren't going to trade half of our draft away(HOPEFULLY!) just to get 1 dude. Hopefully we rebuild in the right way.

Or we can just lose a bunch of games and tank like so many of you dumb people think we should do.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Sorry, hit the wrong button.

Quote:I could see a Mosley in the 1st and McCarron in the 2nd

That would be very cool. and add Murray with a day 3 pick and I'd be thrilled. 

Would Mosely still be there at the Jags pick if they finished 7-9 though? 

Quote:Not so sure he won't be. You could be right, but I'm thinking late first rounder at worst. Probably will be selected somewhere between 14th-30th. 
Yeah, these things stay in state of flux until April - but I could see him going late in the first as of right now too. 

Quote:That would be very cool. and add Murray with a day 3 pick and I'd be thrilled. 

Would Mosely still be there at the Jags pick if they finished 7-9 though? 

Right now CBSsportsline has him going somewhere from 10-15 I don't see us drafting later then 15th pick if we finish 7-9

Quote:Not so sure he won't be. You could be right, but I'm thinking late first rounder at worst. Probably will be selected somewhere between 14th-30th. 
im thinking late 2nd round, hes gonna be like andy dalton, he wont wow you but he will get the job done.  first round qbs are almost always thought to be franchise qbs, i dont see that from mccaron at all. i can be wrong but thats my opinion of mccaron from all the games ive seen him in, he impressed me against auburn though, his best game of the season.

Quote:im thinking late 2nd round, hes gonna be like andy dalton, he wont wow you but he will get the job done.  first round qbs are almost always thought to be franchise qbs, i dont see that from mccaron at all. i can be wrong but thats my opinion of mccaron from all the games ive seen him in, he impressed me against auburn though, his best game of the season.

WHat I do like about McCarron (and this most certainly IS a trait of franchise QB) is that he tends to play well in big games/ big spots. 

7-9  ... didn't the Bengals used to win a bunch of meanigless games in the 90's (after horrendous starts) only to create ficticious hope going into the following season?

Quote:WHat I do like about McCarron (and this most certainly IS a trait of franchise QB) is that he tends to play well in big games/ big spots. 
I've been saying that all along.

Quote:WHat I do like about McCarron (and this most certainly IS a trait of franchise QB) is that he tends to play well in big games/ big spots. 
Exactly. A lot of QB's tend to choke when it counts, and I haven't seen AJ do that yet.

What's the big deal on wanting Mosley in the first? Bigger fish to fry than getting a MLB there when we can get one in the later rounds with a little less talent. Mosley usually doesn't even play on passing downs. Isnt this a passing league?
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Win or lose the remainder of the games, I'm just happy to see these young guys win a few and still play hard. And I'm happy that Gus and Caldwell seem to be headed in the right direction. No one expected anything out of this season other than an early draft pick
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:I think the difference between drafting at 3-13 and 7-9 would be 8 spots at most. I think creating momentum to carry victories and a winning atmosphere into the offseason would do us more then those 8 spots.

Absolutely, for sure we finish somewhere 3-13 and 7-9....and wherever I'll be happy even if we LOSE the last games.

Because I'll know the team played hard and never gave up win or lose.

That's the spirit you want to carry into next year for the team and the fans (well most of us).

GO JAGS!

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson