Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rocksmith 2014

Quote:I play bass, never learned guitar. I've been wanting to buy an acoustic guitar for a while now and learn it. Does this this work with acoustic electric guitars?

Yeah, it will work. 

Rocksmith is essentially the cliffs notes version of learning to play the guitar.....you know for people that don't want to take the time to learn the basics/ music theory and all the other stuff that matters. 

It fits perfect in todays microwave society. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, it will work.

Rocksmith is essentially the cliffs notes version of learning to play the guitar.....you know for people that don't want to take the time to learn the basics/ music theory and all the other stuff that matters.

Obvioisly you've never played Rocksmith or you'd know there were actual lessons on the disc and not just songs. Cliff notes? Hardly.

I've been playing for a long time. I know my circle of 5ths, how about you?

This game will teach you damn near ever chord, scale, palming, finger tapping, palm muting ect.. To call it Cliff Notes just showed me how much you really know..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Yeah, it will work.

There's also a feature on the game where it can teach you how to pick chords out and how to improv, such as jazz and blues.. But yeah, Cliff Notes and a microwaved society.. smh..

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 03:45 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Obvioisly you've never played Rocksmith or you'd know there were actual lessons on the disc and not just songs. Cliff notes? Hardly.

I've been playing for a long time. I know my circle of 5ths, how about you?

This game will teach you damn near ever chord, scale, palming, finger tapping, palm muting ect.. To call it Cliff Notes just showed me how much you really know..

I know all the techniques you mentioned too, just did it the hard way. Not via some gimmicky method. 

I've never played Rocksmith but I know people who have. They said yeah it was a neat little program, but they also said that nothing beats the old way and actually going to school for proper music theory; that this is nothing but microwave guitar lessons. 

As an ascending player myself, I'll check it out, but I am almost positive I'll find that what my musician friends say about it will ring true. 

Quote:I know all the techniques you mentioned too, just did it the hard way. Not via some gimmicky method.

I've never played Rocksmith but I know people who have. They said yeah it was a neat little program, but they also said that nothing beats the old way. This is nothing but microwave guitar lessons.

Yeah i learned the hard way too. But you know what? Its the same damn lessons that i had when i was learning. How you can call it microwaved is beyond me since its the same lessons.. You want to know the difference between actual lessons and this game? The money you're gonna spend for lessons with an actual individual. You still have to learn chords, techniques and the proper way to apply them. And you still have to practice. Buying the game is the same as buying lessons. Its not going to turn you into a musician over night without lots of practice. So microwaved? Like I said. Hardly.. Call it what you want to call it. I've had lessons and now I have the game and Id rather have had this disc back then instead of lessons cause i can play and practice when i want, how i want and what i want.

My advice to you is to try the game yourself before commenting on it, cause you obvioisly have no idea what you're talking about..

The fact that you keep referring to it as a "game" isn't helping your side. :whistling: 

Quote:The fact that you keep referring to it as a "game" isn't helping your side. :whistling:

It is a game, and what side? I'm stating facts.

Hey winger dinger, you never answered. My step son is trying to learn. I know you already know how to play. Would this be good to help him learn After taking a few classes at school? Or would it be a waste?

Quote:Hey winger dinger, you never answered. My step son is trying to learn. I know you already know how to play. Would this be good to help him learn After taking a few classes at school? Or would it be a waste?
This is one of those games that actually makes learning fun.. Would be a great investment if he's serious about playing. Like I said, 80 bucks, but it comes with that all precious usb/1/4 inch guitar jack.. That's pretty much where most of the money is going to.. The only downfall to this game, is that unless you know someone, or really look, they're hard to find used. Like at Gamestop. You won't find used sets, only the used game discs themselves. It's because Gamestop can't supply each store with a guitar to check to see if the cable still works when being turned in, so they don't deal with used sets..

But if your step son is serious about really learning how to play, this is the program for him, in my opinion. I really wish I had this back over 20 years ago.. Glad I found it now though..

Quote:Hey winger dinger, you never answered. My step son is trying to learn. I know you already know how to play. Would this be good to help him learn After taking a few classes at school? Or would it be a waste?
http://youtu.be/BPFMDdMpttw

Another sneak peak.

http://youtu.be/7iKcvVzubBw

I also like how not only does it auto tone switch in the middle of a song where it needs to, but all the amps sound authentic.. The Marshall tube amps give off that rich Marshall sound while Orange amps give that new age crunch.. Awesome stuff..

Thanks. Maybe we will get this for him this Christmas. As much as I like smoke on the water, I'm kinda tired of hearing it. He knows other songs, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Quote:Yeah i learned the hard way too. But you know what? Its the same damn lessons that i had when i was learning. How you can call it microwaved is beyond me since its the same lessons.. You want to know the difference between actual lessons and this game? The money you're gonna spend for lessons with an actual individual. You still have to learn chords, techniques and the proper way to apply them. And you still have to practice. Buying the game is the same as buying lessons. Its not going to turn you into a musician over night without lots of practice. So microwaved? Like I said. Hardly.. Call it what you want to call it. I've had lessons and now I have the game and Id rather have had this disc back then instead of lessons cause i can play and practice when i want, how i want and what i want.

My advice to you is to try the game yourself before commenting on it, cause you obvioisly have no idea what you're talking about..

He likes to play the "Get off my lawn!!" character.

I'm sure he learned guitar while on his porch in his rocking chair with his corncob pipe.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Thanks. Maybe we will get this for him this Christmas. As much as I like smoke on the water, I'm kinda tired of hearing it. He knows other songs, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
Haha understandable.. But practice makes perfect.. He'll be playing smoke on the water for the rest of his guitaring life. First song I ever learned all the way through was Silent Lucidity.. Still jamming to it to this day haha

Quote:Thanks. Maybe we will get this for him this Christmas. As much as I like smoke on the water, I'm kinda tired of hearing it. He knows other songs, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

I don't know if you've every seen Two and A Half Men, but the kid, Jake, was always playing Smoke on the Water while learning to play.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:He likes to play the "Get off my lawn!!" character.

I'm sure he learned guitar while on his porch in his rocking chair with his corncob pipe.
3 fingers and a banjo? haha

Quote:I don't know if you've every seen Two and A Half Men, but the kid, Jake, was always playing Smoke on the Water while learning to play.

I did see that one. That part of the show is sooo true. Sucks that Charlie sheen had to be a moron. That show went down hill fast after they dumped him.

Quote:Haha understandable.. But practice makes perfect.. He'll be playing smoke on the water for the rest of his guitaring life. First song I ever learned all the way through was Silent Lucidity.. Still jamming to it to this day haha

I'd be lying if I said I didn't sorta like hearing the songs he plays. At least the rock songs I recognize. He'll play some ac/dc (although that that great) but I still think it's cool.

Quote:I'd be lying if I said I didn't sorta like hearing the songs he plays. At least the rock songs I recognize. He'll play some ac/dc (although that that great) but I still think it's cool.
Another feature that would be beneficial to him with this program is the game itself adjusts to his playing style and skill level.. It will start him off really intermediate, plucking a string here and there throughout a song, then when he hits enough correct strings and chords, it auto adjusts to a more difficult level, but not too much harder.. It will add an extra note here and there until you get them down. The difficulty settings on the game itself is 1-100.. So you can imagine how slowly it will go to let the player learn and catch up before adjusting.