Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dave Caldwell & Thomas Dimitroff

Quote:I sure how Caldwell learned from Dimtroffs mistakes and avoids them. Dimtroff is pretty much the exact opposite of what we need to do, trading picks for targeted players because you have a desperate need is a recipe for trouble.
Are you really down graded Dimtroff? 4 Playoffs in 7 years 5 winning seasons any team should take that, this year Falcons have been hit with the injury bug, those trading for players have not hurt them.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

However we could obtain Clowney and a premiere QB will be Very Much Needed to say the least. I believe that we should nab our pass rusher first since the draft is loaded w/Quality QB prospects...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Last year you guys didn't want Dion Jordan when there was no 1st round QB talent available? Jordan was fast, tall and gifted, but has more motor and commitment than Clowney. The Clowney hype is causing some to be irrationall. The kid has quit. He's looked good here and there, but he's become a distraction. Lining up wherever he wants, whenever he wants. He gets beat by lesser talent. He needs to show more commitment. He's reminding me of Vernon Gholston more than Mario Williams at this point. 

I need Clowney to show a lot more to take him in the top 5. 

Quote:Last year you guys didn't want Dion Jordan when there was no 1st round QB talent available? Jordan was fast, tall and gifted, but has more motor and commitment than Clowney. The Clowney hype is causing some to be irrationall. The kid has quit. He's looked good here and there, but he's become a distraction. Lining up wherever he wants, whenever he wants. He gets beat by lesser talent. He needs to show more commitment. He's reminding me of Vernon Gholston more than Mario Williams at this point. 

Change your display name bruh. 

Quote:Change your display name bruh. 

tool

Quote:Last year you guys didn't want Dion Jordan when there was no 1st round QB talent available? Jordan was fast, tall and gifted, but has more motor and commitment than Clowney. The Clowney hype is causing some to be irrationall. The kid has quit. He's looked good here and there, but he's become a distraction. Lining up wherever he wants, whenever he wants. He gets beat by lesser talent. He needs to show more commitment. He's reminding me of Vernon Gholston more than Mario Williams at this point. 

You watch too much ESPN

;

;

Quote:Are you really down graded Dimtroff? 4 Playoffs in 7 years 5 winning seasons any team should take that, this year Falcons have been hit with the injury bug, those trading for players have not hurt them.

Yea I don't think Dimtroff has done a good job in Atlanta, I didn't know people would argue that point? This isn't a fluke year for Atlanta, what they're experiencing is the result of neglecting depth on that roster for the past 4-5 years. They've chased older Free Agents, traded picks for skill positions and banked on Matt Ryan becoming Manning to make it all work.

Atlanta has some serious roster problems because of Dimtroffs neglect to build any kind of depth on that roster. He's pretty much the model of what NOT to do when rebuilding, that early success they had wasn't sustainable. Even with all posturing and mortgaging their future for present they still have yet to win a playoff game.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:You watch too much ESPN

wouldnt it be the other way around?

I mean its your loss if you'd pick a lazy DE over a Premier Franchise QB 

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 11:39 PM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:wouldnt it be the other way around?

I mean its your loss if you'd pick a lazy DE over a Premier Franchise QB 

ESPN spent all offseason building him up. But they've spend all season tearing him down. They are the ones pushing this lazy narrative. He is probably the most talented pass rusher in the draft since Julius Peppers. It's laughable to even try and compare him to Dion Jordan.

And never once have I said I would take him over a franchise QB. But to try and downsell Clowney is laughable.

;

;

Quote:ESPN spent all offseason building him up. But they've spend all season tearing him down. They are the ones pushing this lazy narrative. He is probably the most talented pass rusher in the draft since Julius Peppers. It's laughable to even try and compare him to Dion Jordan.

And never once have I said I would take him over a franchise QB. But to try and downsell Clowney is laughable.

I'm concerned about Clowney, too. I know he's had injury issues and is usually double teamed, but the most talented pass rusher in the draft should have more than two sacks, shouldn't he?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:ESPN spent all offseason building him up. But they've spend all season tearing him down. They are the ones pushing this lazy narrative. He is probably the most talented pass rusher in the draft since Julius Peppers. It's laughable to even try and compare him to Dion Jordan.

This is what the media does. Find any narrative they can and run with it. 

Quote:I'm concerned about Clowney, too. I know he's had injury issues and is usually double teamed, but the most talented pass rusher in the draft should have more than two sacks, shouldn't he?

You dont evaluate players based off stats. 

Quote:This is what the media does. Find any narrative they can and run with it. 

Here's a good example

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/12/jadaveo...-he-didnt/

;

;

Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch nailed the ESPN-Clowney thing in this column:

Quote: 

ESPN has been the Worldwide Leader in Jadeveon Clowney narratives over the past 12 months, starting with its replaying of Clowney's hit against Michigan in last year's Outback Bowl on a seemingly endless SportsCenter loop. That's been followed by a stream of ESPN analysts (led by Paul Finebaum) questioning Clowney's commitment to South Carolina football. (I personally like Finebaum a lot and I love his radio show; I also think he's been incredibly unfair to a 20-year-old kid without knowing the severity of his injuries.)

If you don't believe the network is pushing the storyline, here's an ESPN PR staffer pushing Finebaum's take to the masses. In my opinion, the network has seriously played the South Carolina junior for eyeballs, and maybe that's just a part of the 2013 sports media environment. I'd argue it's also symptomatic of those inside ESPN who lust for debate television the way a Kardashian lunges for a reality series.

What happened on Saturday, however, was absolute nonsense on arguably ESPN's best show. ESPN's GameDay, generally an unimpeachable source of accuracy, reported multiple times that Clowney did not travel on the team bus to the stadium for South Carolina's game against Arkansas. Naturally, that played into the ongoing narrative tagging Clowney as selfish and diva-like, caring only about NFL riches and not "the program."

One problem: It wasn't true.

The State (S.C.) newspaper had reported earlier in the morning that Clowney had indeed taken the bus with the team. After repeating the wrong information several times, GameDay host Chris Fowler finally apologized to viewers. "We have to make a correction and an apology," Fowler said. "Earlier information we were given out of Fayetteville was Clowney was not on the Gamecocks' team bus. That apparently is incorrect ... We are now told he was on the bus. We made something out of nothing. It is a non-story. We apologize for the misinformation earlier."

That was a pro move by Fowler, who cares greatly about accuracy. But it was another low point in the coverage of a 20-year-old kid.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/ne...&eref=sihp

;

;

Quote:You dont evaluate players based off stats. 

I get that, and I'm certainly no expert. But I've watched all or parts of some SC games this season and he just has not been that impressive to my admittedly untrained eye.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I get that ESPN brought him up and brought him down, but just because the media noticed it, doesn't mean I can't agree. The guy has two sacks, 1 ff and like 25 tackles this season? That doesn't scream best DE prospect in 20 years. 

I feel like people that want Clowney are still buying into the hype of his Sophomore year. I get that he's talented and fast and that was why I brought up Jordan. He's tall and fast, so was Austen Lane and 10 other prospects every year. So what separates Clowney for everyone? His inside attack move looks like complete garbarge. He is not getting off the line the way I was told he could. He normally plays the weaker of the tackle match ups and will line up in the wrong position it seems. 

How do you not see laziness from this guy? If ESPN, NFLN, PFT, Rotoworld, or PFF say it, there could be some truth to it. 

I should clarify that it concerns me, and rightfully so. The jags should have a top 5 pick for the 3rd year in a row. Obviously the team needs elite, franchise players. You can't afford to miss. 

Quote:In 2007, the Atlanta Falcons had one of the worst records in the NFL. After that season, the Falcons hired a new GM to turn their floundering franchise around. His name was Thomas Dimitroff. He immediately hired Mike Smith as his head coach. One of his other hirings was Dave Caldwell who became his Director of College Scouting. (In 2012 he became Director of Player Personel) In 2008 & 2010, Dimitroff was named Executive of the Year by Sporting News. The Falcons have won more games than any other team in the NFC since 2008. (not counting this year) (also I believe the Jags had the same claim in the AFC after their 1st 4 years in the league) Since his first day on the job, Dimitroff has brought the philosophical approach of building through the draft and supplementing thru free agency. Since 2008, the Falcons rank 2nd in the NFL in draft retention (73.9%). Also, during that time, 39 of the Falcon's 46 selections are active players in the NFL (84.8%). From what I can see, Dave Caldwell must have played an active role in the Falcon's drafting success. As far as management style, I wonder what things he learned from working closely with Dimitroff. In drafting college players, he can sometimes be aggressive. Case in point.....in his first draft(2008) after securing his quarterback (Matt Ryan) with the 3rd overall pick , he moved back into the first round to get LT Sam Baker. In doing so, he gave up his two 2nd round picks and a 4th. Yet again, in the 2011 draft, he moved up from the 27th spot to the 6th spot tq nab Julio Jones. However, it was a very expensive move. In exchange, the Cleveland Browns got the Falcon's 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks......PLUS a 1st and 4th round pick in the following year. I wonder what Caldwell took away from those moves. Will Caldwell be as aggressive as Dimitroff was? Might he surprise everyone and grab Clowney first and then trade back into the 1st round to get the quarterback he covets? I thought Dave's first draft was fairly conservative till he went after Denard in the 5th. That showed a little daring. This makes me think that he could very well take some chances ala Dimitroff. Your thoughts.

Atlanta Overall Standings

2007..........4-12.......Dimitoroff hired

2008.........11-5.........playoffs

2009.........9-7

2010.........13-3........playoffs

2011.........10-6........playoffs

2012.........13-3........playoffs

2013.........2-7

Its well documented that it was Caldwell who fought for the Falcons to trade up for Julio.

Quote:People so afraid to take a QB.
unless it's in the 2nd or 3rd round, that's where we're finding our steal LOL

Quote:unless it's in the 2nd or 3rd round, that's where we're finding our steal LOL

Or next year. Next year will be the year to draft a QB. No matter what year it is, it's always next year.

Quote:Its well documented that it was Caldwell who fought for the Falcons to trade up for Julio.

It is? I must have missed it.

If it's so well documented, how about providing it.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.