Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Having number 1 pick to big a risk

Quote:You can't draft scared.
Ah so that is why our hit singles philosophy didn't work out with the last guy.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I want to get me some of them National Tittles.

Quote:When a guy like Bridgewater is at the top of the draft, it is much LESS of a risk. 

Your argument might have been valid last draft, but not this upcoming one. 
To add to your point TMD the new rookie salary cap also makes drafting a QB with the top pick much less of a risky proposition.

With that being said this is a deep QB class and while I really like Teddy I am flip flopping a bit on the prospects of Clonwey. Even with Clowney's negative press this year he could absolutely turn around a defense with competentence surrounding him.

Quote:I am probbley one of the few here, but I think getting the number one pick is to much of a risk.  If you get a player any postion   espailley     who won nationtial tittles in college he doesn't have much to prove. You get the later picks who have lots to prove that person could be the next tom brady.  I still say we have us our qb of the furture for some reason jags refuse to play him.   If matt scout was to start the games would get closer,and we would start winning as we build montuem for next year,and so on. if I recall the last few years number 1 picks have been a bust except  a few,but majority of them have been busts.
The risk of a number 1 pick was the huge amount of money being paid upfront to an unproven player, and the financial hole a franchise has created should such number 1 player not work out.  With the recent rookie wage scale, this risk has been eliminated.  There is always risk a player chosen in the draft does not work out.  However, analytically proven, the higher the draft pick, the greater odds that the pick is successful.  Your Brady reference to your point is a rarity, not the norm.

As a practice squad player, Matt Scott gets to practice with the Jags and develop.  However, he is technically a free agent that any team in the league can sign today for minimum wage and without any compensation to the Jags.  As it is midway through the season and he has not been picked up be some other team, I would not hold out much hope that he can come in this year and do anything of value.  Young QBs are coveted by all teams, if there is a belief such a QB is any good.      

Quote:To add to your point TMD the new rookie salary cap also makes drafting a QB with the top pick much less of a risky proposition.

With that being said this is a deep QB class and while I really like Teddy I am flip flopping a bit on the prospects of Clonwey. Even with Clowney's negative press this year he could absolutely turn around a defense with competentence surrounding him.

Its pretty simple...

If the Jags get the #1 pick - take Bridgewater. 

If the Jags get the #2 pick take Clowney, or trade down if the trade compensation is significant enough. 

Quote:Its pretty simple...

If the Jags get the #1 pick - take Bridgewater. 

If the Jags get the #2 pick take Clowney, or trade down if the trade compensation is significant enough. 
Agreed

Quote:Ketchman said he doesn't think a QB is worthy of the number 1 pick. 

Take that with what you will.

He also had high praise for Gene Smith and Blaine Gabbert.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:The Jaguars are one of four teams to have never had the first pick in the draft. 

What about...

Ravens

Broncos

Seahawks

?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The starter for the Bills Thad Lewis was also on the practice squad and nobody took him from another team also. He's played way better than Gabbert and Henne. Now he's playing and looks like he can get the job done. Just because other teams aren't looking at players on your practice squad doesn't mean they can't play.

Quote:What about...

Ravens

Broncos

Seahawks

?

I said 'one of four'.  Those are the other 3.  What about them?

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Tampa is looking to be on the fast track to Number 1 pick. To me the darn it will be more not being at the top of the round starting in Round 2.

Anyone groan when they think about passing on Aaron Rodgers? I think that is the one that stings the most. Well taking Matt Jones and RJ Sorry hurts pretty bad as well.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2013, 04:03 PM by tyus.)

Snowwolf, you just made a thread about being positive about the Jaguars. Then you made this thread saying you're worried about the Jaguars having the top draft choice.

Having the top draft choice this year is a blessing.

I don't think Matt Scott is the answer but I would like to see him put in once the team is 0-10. My prediction is that every QB on the current roster won't be here next year. Except Denard Robinson, but he doesn't count.

If you think having the number one pick is a big risk, find the best just trade back partner, stock up on picks, problem fixed.

Quote:What about...

Ravens

Broncos

Seahawks

True about the Ravens but I thought every expansion team except us got the #1 pck by default for being an expansion team. That was what they did with the Browns and Texans. The Panthers got #1 and traded down. Did the Seahawks join at the same time as another NFL team?

Although the Broncos did not own the #1 pick in 1983, that was what they got. Same for the Giants when they got Eli.

Quote:He also had high praise for Gene Smith and Blaine Gabbert.  

Boom!

Quote:If you think having the number one pick is a big risk, find the best just trade back partner, stock up on picks, problem fixed.

haha, yeah, knowing Caldwell, we might be able to get a 4th.........and a 5th..... :whistling: 

Mariota looks more impressive than Bridgewater..

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:Mariota looks more impressive than Bridgewater..
Mariota looks good but it concerns me that he has 8 seconds to throw, no pressure in his face and when he passes his receivers are open by 10 yards.

Quote:Mariota looks more impressive than Bridgewater..
RG3 won the Heisman and looked more impressive than Luck in college. Look how that worked out.

One year Donald Trump lost $20m.   Is having too much money a bad thing?  It comes with a risk but in the end it's a good thing.