Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Flag Burning: To ban or not to ban?

Quote:People get too worked up over some colored cloth, if I burned some clothes would anybody care? 

that's like calling the Medal of Honor a piece of metal.  who cares if its thrown away, right? it means more than that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:that's like calling the Medal of Honor a piece of metal.  who cares if its thrown away, right? it means more than that.

You're asking the wrong person because I would actually agree with that statement. 

The flag and what it represents means more to some than others...It happens to mean quite a bit to me.  If it means nothing to you...so be it.

Have you seen my baseball?

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM by badger.)

Quote:You're asking the wrong person because I would actually agree with that statement. 

you saying it has no meaning is irrelevant. the truth is it has meaning to most people, so the disrespect shown to these things is only going to be seen by most people as an attack

and an attack on what people see as the good things in life, like FREEDOM, courage, honor, integrity.... not a good look for those disrespecting the flag or a medal

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:The flag and what it represents means more to some than others...It happens to mean quite a bit to me.  If it means nothing to you...so be it.

Many feel the same way as you do. Flag burning incites a very passionate, raw emotion in people, especially veterans, that can incite violence. Sort of like yelling racial slurs in public.

Some people can look the other way, some will try and stop it with violence. That is why using speech or expression which incites violence is not considered free speech.

Quote:I agree that flag burning falls under hate speech and expression. I'd love to see it be outlawed. I mean, let's face it. Flag burning is an action, not a spoken word, so it kinda throws freedom of speech out the window.

I'd vote to outlaw it under penalty..

You don't get a vote. Just like you don't get a vote to do away with the first amendment. Which this falls under. (Freedom of speech means freedom of expression.)

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:You don't get a vote. Just like you don't get a vote to do away with the first amendment. Which this falls under. (Freedom of speech means freedom of expression.)

It's a figure of speech..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

No to banning the burning of the flag.  A flag that you aren't allowed to burn is one that should probably actually be burned.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I don't believe in a state powerful enough to ban any speech. Any compromise on banning a type of speech or protest is a compromise in free speech. So if some idiot wants to spew hate speech then so be it.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Many feel the same way as you do. Flag burning incites a very passionate, raw emotion in people, especially veterans, that can incite violence. Sort of like yelling racial slurs in public.

Some people can look the other way, some will try and stop it with violence. That is why using speech or expression which incites violence is not considered free speech.

Both of those highly enrage me but both have to be protected or we don't have free speech we have state allowed speech.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Grandpa use to say,

"I fought for the morons in our country too!"

I think that flag burning, like taking a knee for the national anthem, is one of those actions that, by its very commission, overshadows whatever cause or point the person taking the action was trying to get across. No one watching Joe Schmo burn a flag will remember that he was doing so to protest (cause of the week). They'll remember that Joe Schmo burned a flag.

That said, it is and absolutely should be protected free speech. TBQH, I feel the same way about hate speech. As long as it's not libel, slander or a threat directed against a specific person or group of people, the government should have no right to stop it.

Quote:you saying it has no meaning is irrelevant. the truth is it has meaning to most people, so the disrespect shown to these things is only going to be seen by most people as an attack

and an attack on what people see as the good things in life, like FREEDOM, courage, honor, integrity.... not a good look for those disrespecting the flag or a medal

I had neighbors that would treat their Gator flags as well if not better then their american flags...anything can have "meaning" attached to it.  

Be against flag burning all you like (not necessarily aimed at you per se, just the people who like Trump think you should be jailed or lose citizenship for it), just dont infringe on the freedoms of others, just because you dont want to see some cloth on fire.

I'm sure the Chinese factory workers who make these flags aren't thinking about freedom, courage, and honor when they churn them out, just another piece of fabric to be shipped out, hell they probably do go on and print shirts also.

No speech laws period.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

To solve this don't attack them on a basis of being charged because your burning our flag, that leaves the 1st amendment out of the equation.  Instead charge them with a city ordinance or fire code violation, I.E. public endangerment, starting a fire without a permit, arson, etc.  I mean really isn't this just tolerated because it's our flag and nobody wants to be accused of suppressing the 1st amendment?  If I went to any town in the USA and started burning cardboard box on their sidewalk would I not get into legal trouble?

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016, 04:19 PM by badger.)

Quote:I had neighbors that would treat their Gator flags as well if not better then their american flags...anything can have "meaning" attached to it.  

Be against flag burning all you like (not necessarily aimed at you per se, just the people who like Trump think you should be jailed or lose citizenship for it), just dont infringe on the freedoms of others, just because you dont want to see some cloth on fire.

I'm sure the Chinese factory workers who make these flags aren't thinking about freedom, courage, and honor when they churn them out, just another piece of fabric to be shipped out, hell they probably do go on and print shirts also.

Ok, but you compared the flag to some clothes when it's a completely different thing here. the analogy does not hold.  you're exactly right, anything can be given meaning and that's precisely what separates the American flag from "some clothes".  almost everybody in this country has attributed deep meaning to our flag.  nobody cares about Joe Dirt's wife beater.

both are made of cloth, yes. that's where the similarities end.  so talking about the absurdity of getting upset about a t-shirt getting lit on fire compared to the American flag is pointless.

Quote:To solve this don't attack them on a basis of being charged because your burning our flag, that leaves the 1st amendment out of the equation.  Instead charge them with a city ordinance or fire code violation, I.E. public endangerment, starting a fire without a permit, arson, etc.  I mean really isn't this just tolerated because it's our flag and nobody wants to be accused of suppressing the 1st amendment?  If I went to any town in the USA and started burning cardboard box on their sidewalk would I not get into legal trouble?

I thought about this too.  I'm not allowed to burn leaves in a trash can in my yard.

[Image: 2m3pxld.png]

I'm against burning the flag so yes, I think it needs to be banned.

There are plenty of other ways to show your displeasure for the government.

Quote:you saying it has no meaning is irrelevant. the truth is it has meaning to most people, so the disrespect shown to these things is only going to be seen by most people as an attack

The only reason people burn a flag is because that flag has meaning to someone else. If it was just a piece of cloth no-one would care about burning it and no-one would. The very fact you and other people care about the flag to a large extent entices other people to burn it.