Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Article: Conservative agenda aims to kill science in United States

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2016, 11:47 PM by JackCity.)

Here's an Irish politician from the countryside talking about climate change.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oeiEO6rv97s

Let me know if you need me to translate.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Here's an Irish politician from the countryside talking about climate change.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oeiEO6rv97s

Let me know if you need me to translate.

I understood most of it. He's claiming what is part and parcel to my theory about climate change. There have always been long term cyclic changes to the weather. However, my belief is human activity is exacerbating these recurring changes.

It's either that or my Uncle Gerald is eating too much boiled cabbage again. 

Quote:I understood most of it. He's claiming what is part and parcel to my theory about climate change. There have always been long term cyclic changes to the weather. However, my belief is human activity is exacerbating these recurring changes.

It's either that or my Uncle Gerald is eating too much boiled cabbage again.

Yeah...your "uncle".
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:She blinded you with science...he just stood around and watched.

Eh?

It's poetry in motion.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Wont someone think of the children????

We really are the worst generation.    First we bankrupt the country, then we cook the planet.   We are truly the spawn of the devil. 

Quote:That article does not contradict what Drifter said.

He ignored sea ice formation in the Artic.

Quote:He ignored sea ice formation in the Artic.

U know, the earth hasn't always had ice caps at the poles. And the raw data from the ice cores doesn't show direct correlation between co2 and surface temps

Quote:U know, the earth hasn't always had ice caps at the poles. And the raw data from the ice cores doesn't show direct correlation between co2 and surface temps

I can't take you seriously because you don't even have a basic understanding of the science.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v6/n5/abs/ngeo1767.html'>http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v6/n5/abs/ngeo1767.html</a>

Accept and close | More info.

nature.com homepageLoginRegisterCart

Nature Geoscience

Search

Go

Menu

home archive issue letter abstract

NATURE GEOSCIENCE | LETTER

Print

Share/bookmark

Important role for ocean warming and increased ice-shelf melt in Antarctic sea-ice expansion

R. Bintanja, G. J. van Oldenborgh, S. S. Drijfhout, B. Wouters & C. A. Katsman

AffiliationsContributionsCorresponding author

Nature Geoscience 6, 376–379 (2013) doi:10.1038/ngeo1767

Received 05 July 2012 Accepted 11 February 2013 Published online 31 March 2013

Article tools

Full text

Download PDF

Citation

Reprints

Rights & permissions

Article metrics

Changes in sea ice significantly modulate climate change because of its high reflective and strong insulating nature. In contrast to Arctic sea ice, sea ice surrounding Antarctica has expanded1, with record extent2 in 2010. This ice expansion has previously been attributed to dynamical atmospheric changes that induce atmospheric cooling3. Here we show that accelerated basal melting of Antarctic ice shelves is likely to have contributed significantly to sea-ice expansion. Specifically, we present observations indicating that melt water from Antarctica’s ice shelves accumulates in a cool and fresh surface layer that shields the surface ocean from the warmer deeper waters that are melting the ice shelves. Simulating these processes in a coupled climate model we find that cool and fresh surface water from ice-shelf melt indeed leads to expanding sea ice in austral autumn and winter. This powerful negative feedback counteracts Southern Hemispheric atmospheric warming. Although changes in atmospheric dynamics most likely govern regional sea-ice trends4, our analyses indicate that the overall sea-ice trend is dominated by increased ice-shelf melt. We suggest that cool sea surface temperatures around Antarctica could offset projected snowfall increases in Antarctica, with implications for estimates of future sea-level rise.

Quote:We really are the worst generation. First we bankrupt the country, then we cook the planet. We are truly the spawn of the devil.

This sounds like the guy from the Matrix:

"I want to share a revelation I've had with you. Humans aren't actually mammals. See, mammals live in balance, or equilibrium with their environmemt. You humans do not. Humans spread throughout an area, and consume every resource available. Once all those resources are depleted, they then spread to another area and consume it. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? It's a virus."

Lol.

Good stuff.

Quote:I can't take you seriously because you don't even have a basic understanding of the science.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v6/n5/abs/ngeo1767.html'>http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v6/n5/abs/ngeo1767.html</a>

Accept and close | More info.

nature.com homepageLoginRegisterCart

Nature Geoscience

Search

Go

Menu

home archive issue letter abstract

NATURE GEOSCIENCE | LETTER

Print

Share/bookmark

Important role for ocean warming and increased ice-shelf melt in Antarctic sea-ice expansion

R. Bintanja, G. J. van Oldenborgh, S. S. Drijfhout, B. Wouters & C. A. Katsman

AffiliationsContributionsCorresponding author

Nature Geoscience 6, 376–379 (2013) doi:10.1038/ngeo1767

Received 05 July 2012 Accepted 11 February 2013 Published online 31 March 2013

Article tools

Full text

Download PDF

Citation

Reprints

Rights & permissions

Article metrics

Changes in sea ice significantly modulate climate change because of its high reflective and strong insulating nature. In contrast to Arctic sea ice, sea ice surrounding Antarctica has expanded1, with record extent2 in 2010. This ice expansion has previously been attributed to dynamical atmospheric changes that induce atmospheric cooling3. Here we show that accelerated basal melting of Antarctic ice shelves is likely to have contributed significantly to sea-ice expansion. Specifically, we present observations indicating that melt water from Antarctica’s ice shelves accumulates in a cool and fresh surface layer that shields the surface ocean from the warmer deeper waters that are melting the ice shelves. Simulating these processes in a coupled climate model we find that cool and fresh surface water from ice-shelf melt indeed leads to expanding sea ice in austral autumn and winter. This powerful negative feedback counteracts Southern Hemispheric atmospheric warming. Although changes in atmospheric dynamics most likely govern regional sea-ice trends4, our analyses indicate that the overall sea-ice trend is dominated by increased ice-shelf melt. We suggest that cool sea surface temperatures around Antarctica could offset projected snowfall increases in Antarctica, with implications for estimates of future sea-level rise.

Lol!

Copy pasta!

You don't even understand what you're posting enough to understand the overall point that I made.

Lol.

Quote:We really are the worst generation.    First we bankrupt the country, then we cook the planet.   We are truly the spawn of the devil.

Well, you're certainly the most narcissistic.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:He ignored sea ice formation in the Artic.

So what? He was still right in what he said. The Arctic sea ice is a different subject. If you want to take them together, sometimes the total area is below the average, sometimes above. The difference is insignificant.

[Image: global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg]

You might note that the alarmists "ignore" the Antarctic when they carry their End of the World signs.

Quote:U know, the earth hasn't always had ice caps at the poles. And the raw data from the ice cores doesn't show direct correlation between co2 and surface temps

Wrong! There is a very strong correlation between CO2 concentration and temperature (actually O18 concentration) in the ice core data. It's just that cause and effect are reversed, the warming occurs before the CO2 increases.

Quote:I can't take you seriously because you don't even have a basic understanding of the science.

Changes in sea ice significantly modulate climate change because of its high reflective and strong insulating nature. In contrast to Arctic sea ice, sea ice surrounding Antarctica has expanded1, with record extent2 in 2010. This ice expansion has previously been attributed to dynamical atmospheric changes that induce atmospheric cooling3. Here we show that accelerated basal melting of Antarctic ice shelves is likely to have contributed significantly to sea-ice expansion. Specifically, we present observations indicating that melt water from Antarctica’s ice shelves accumulates in a cool and fresh surface layer that shields the surface ocean from the warmer deeper waters that are melting the ice shelves. Simulating
these processes in a coupled climate model we find that cool and fresh surface water from ice-shelf melt indeed leads to expanding sea ice in austral autumn and winter. This powerful negative feedback counteracts Southern Hemispheric atmospheric warming. Although changes in atmospheric dynamics most likely govern regional sea-ice trends4, our analyses indicate that the overall sea-ice trend is dominated by increased ice-shelf melt. We suggest that cool sea surface temperatures around Antarctica could offset projected snowfall increases in Antarctica, with implications for estimates of future sea-level rise.

First off, as usual your response does not address what was said. Secondly, the article is about a computer simulation, not reality. Thirdly, the reason as to why sea ice is expanding in the Antarctic, which this paper tries to explain, is immaterial to the discussion.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Lol!

Copy pasta!

You don't even understand what you're posting enough to understand the overall point that I made.

Lol.
I have two degrees in environmental sciences. Try again. 

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2016, 06:43 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:So what? He was still right in what he said. The Arctic sea ice is a different subject. If you want to take them together, sometimes the total area is below the average, sometimes above. The difference is insignificant.

[Image: global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg]

You might note that the alarmists "ignore" the Antarctic when they carry their End of the World signs.

Wrong! There is a very strong correlation between CO2 concentration and temperature (actually O18 concentration) in the ice core data. It's just that cause and effect are reversed, the warming occurs before the CO2 increases.

First off, as usual your response does not address what was said. Secondly, the article is about a computer simulation, not reality. Thirdly, the reason as to why sea ice is expanding in the Antarctic, which this paper tries to explain, is immaterial to the discussion.

Its a computer simulation that models real world conditions. Try again. Conservatives often try to use NASA reports on increased sea ice formation in the Antarctic region as proof that climate change is a hoax, which is flat out wrong. Read the authors findings again: "Here we show that accelerated basal melting of Antarctic ice shelves is likely to have contributed significantly to sea-ice expansion. Specifically, we present observations indicating that melt water from Antarctica’s ice shelves accumulates in a cool and fresh surface layer that shields the surface ocean from the warmer deeper waters that are melting the ice shelves." 

Quote:I have two degrees in environmental sciences. Try again.

What's their refund policy?

What's the ratio of potency for co2 vs. Water vapor?

If you need some tap shoes I can sell u a pair.

Way to be there malabar!

Quote:What's the ratio of potency for co2 vs. Water vapor?

If you need some tap shoes I can sell u a pair.

Way to be there malabar!

The burden of proof is on you. Do a literature review, and report back to us.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2016, 07:56 PM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:Important role for ocean warming and increased ice-shelf melt in Antarctic sea-ice expansion

Its a computer simulation that models real world conditions. 1
Try again. Conservatives often try to use NASA reports on increased sea ice formation in the Antarctic region as proof that climate change is a hoax, which is flat out wrong. 2
Read the authors findings again: "Here we show that accelerated basal melting of Antarctic ice shelves is likely to have contributed significantly to sea-ice expansion. Specifically, we present observations indicating that melt water from Antarctica’s ice shelves accumulates in a cool and fresh surface layer that shields the surface ocean from the warmer deeper waters that are melting the ice shelves." 

The model assumes an accelerated basal melting. If the simulation code was even written correctly, at best it says that the expanded Antarctic sea ice is consistent with melting ice shelves.

Computer games are fun, especially when they result in taxpayer-funded grants that allow one to keep the cushy job. Maybe you should cite some actual measurements, like I did. Oh, I know, Climastrologers try to avoid measurements whenever possible, and never include error bounds when they do. Please humor me and find a graph of one (just one) set of measurements (undoctored measurements) with appropriate error bounds included.

And alarmists use reports on decreased sea ice in the Arctic. Decreased from when? From the 1970s when Arctic sea ice was at a high point and scientists were arguing whether or not the exceptional cold decade was a harbinger of the next glaciation? The Northwest passage was navigated in the 19th century, with wooden ships, and no satellite images or GPS to guide the way.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The burden of proof is on you. Do a literature review, and report back to us.

Lol.... He had his own tap shoes!

Quote:Well if we're wrong it won't affect any of us now will it.

Who gives a flying crap what we leave behind for generations three time removed and beyond right?
It's the baby boomer motto: Spend what the previous generation gave you, then borrow against the future of the next generation and spend that as well. Who cares about the bill, when that comes due you'll be long dead anyway!