Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
One reason to stay patient with Bortles?

I'm not worried about Bortles. My confidence in him will not waver for awhile.

I'm more concerned with 2 things:

1. His teaching (I.E., someone raising the level of expectation and someone who will also keep refining and crafting his technique. Learning tech never stops).

2. Him having to switch to another coordinator

I love Bortles' qualities

•Throwing on the run

•ability to run

•physically tough and big

•wonderful intangibles (I love his Personality)

•he is incredibly accountable of himself

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This was Big Ben’s 3rd season. Same as Bortles.[/color][/size][/font][/color]

Wasn't Ben's 3rd season after they won the Superbowl against Seattle? Iirc

When was it that Ben had his motorcycle crash that hampered him a while? The offseason just before his 3rd year?

You know.....only blake can put all this to rest.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:AWe are dead last in rushing attempts because Blake is incapable of converting 3rd downs.

If we ran the ball more, Blake might have easier 3rd downs to convert. It's not just Blake...it's also the play calling. Hopefully this gets changed with Hackett, but the Jaguars are dead last in rushing attempts but lead the league in passing attempts. The team seriously needs some balance.

'02

Quote:If we ran the ball more, Blake might have easier 3rd downs to convert. It's not just Blake...it's also the play calling. Hopefully this gets changed with Hackett, but the Jaguars are dead last in rushing attempts but lead the league in passing attempts. The team seriously needs some balance.
But I just showed the comparison between he and Mariota on 3rd and 4-6 to go and 3rd and 7-9 to go...

Guess I'll do it again and include Prescott and Carr, since the Titans, Cowboys, and Raiders are the cream of the crop for making it easy for young QBs with good olines and good running games and such. At least that's what they tell me, despite the numbers suggesting something slightly different as you'll see. 

3rd and 4-6:

Bortles - 29 attempts, 41% completions, 2 TD, 3 INT, 36.1 passer rating, 3.9 YPA, 3 sacks allowed

Mariota - 28 attempts, 57% completions, 4 TD, 0 INT, 120 passer rating, 7.4 YPA, 2 sacks allowed

Prescott - 26 attempts, 62% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 97.1 passer rating, 6.1 YPA, 3 sacks allowed

Carr - 22 attempts, 54% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 103.6 passer rating, 9.8 YPA, 1 sack allowed

3rd and 7-9:

Bortles - 19 attempts, 37% completions, 0 TD, 2 INT, 18.4 passer rating, 6.1 YPA, 0 sacks allowed

Mariota - 19 attempts, 58% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 100.3 passer rating, 7.8 YPA, 0 sacks allowed

Prescott - 18 attempts, 78% completions, 0 TD, 1 INT, 77.8 passer rating, 8.2 YPA, 3 sacks allowed

Carr - 21 attempts, 57% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 86.6 passer rating, 5.0 YPA, 2 sacks allowed

Blake's attempts on 3rd and medium/long aren't really any different, especially when you factor in him leading the league in passes as you said. His ratio of passes on 3rd and medium/long is probably even lower than those guys. He also isn't taking any more sacks than those guys, it wouldn't appear that pass protection is a big issue (I realize it's sacks not pressures but those are impossible to find per down). Basically Blake doesn't have it much, if at all, worse on 3rd down than some of the other successful young QBs right now, he's just a whoooooole lot worse than them. 

Quote:But I just showed the comparison between he and Mariota on 3rd and 4-6 to go and 3rd and 7-9 to go...

Guess I'll do it again and include Prescott and Carr, since the Titans, Cowboys, and Raiders are the cream of the crop for making it easy for young QBs with good olines and good running games and such. At least that's what they tell me, despite the numbers suggesting something slightly different as you'll see.

3rd and 4-6:

Bortles - 29 attempts, 41% completions, 2 TD, 3 INT, 36.1 passer rating, 3.9 YPA, 3 sacks allowed

Mariota - 28 attempts, 57% completions, 4 TD, 0 INT, 120 passer rating, 7.4 YPA, 2 sacks allowed

Prescott - 26 attempts, 62% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 97.1 passer rating, 6.1 YPA, 3 sacks allowed

Carr - 22 attempts, 54% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 103.6 passer rating, 9.8 YPA, 1 sack allowed

3rd and 7-9:

Bortles - 19 attempts, 37% completions, 0 TD, 2 INT, 18.4 passer rating, 6.1 YPA, 0 sacks allowed

Mariota - 19 attempts, 58% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 100.3 passer rating, 7.8 YPA, 0 sacks allowed

Prescott - 18 attempts, 78% completions, 0 TD, 1 INT, 77.8 passer rating, 8.2 YPA, 3 sacks allowed

Carr - 21 attempts, 57% completions, 1 TD, 0 INT, 86.6 passer rating, 5.0 YPA, 2 sacks allowed

Blake's attempts on 3rd and medium/long aren't really any different, especially when you factor in him leading the league in passes as you said. His ratio of passes on 3rd and medium/long is probably even lower than those guys. He also isn't taking any more sacks than those guys, it wouldn't appear that pass protection is a big issue (I realize it's sacks not pressures but those are impossible to find per down). Basically Blake doesn't have it much, if at all, worse on 3rd down than some of the other successful young QBs right now, he's just a whoooooole lot worse than them.
<3

Quote:You know.....only blake can put all this to rest.

He already has. We will draft a QB next year.

There is no qb to draft.  Not the year for qbs.  So have to see.  Is there any one with potential can trade for?:  or grab FA?   Cause as bad as blake been.  No one jumps out as better at this point.  So would concentrate on o line. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Statistics like these are deceptive. First consider that 'Big Ben' was playing for the steelers... a perennial super bowl contender, while Bortles is playing for the Jags... perennial losers. I suspect that most of those positive numbers for Bortles came during 'garbage time' play also. How many play-off's or super bowls has Bortles led this team to compared to the same amount of time with 'Big Ben'?

In the end, the only stat that really matters is the win/lose ratio, and in that regard, Bortles is at the very top... of the bottom.

Quote:Statistics like these are deceptive. First consider that 'Big Ben' was playing for the steelers... a perennial super bowl contender, while Bortles is playing for the Jags... perennial losers. I suspect that most of those positive numbers for Bortles came during 'garbage time' play also. How many play-off's or super bowls has Bortles led this team to compared to the same amount of time with 'Big Ben'?

In the end, the only stat that really matters is the win/lose ratio, and in that regard, Bortles is at the very top... of the bottom.
your a loser.  Every team has rough patches.  Even the pats prior to brady. 

#Gojags

I think anyone hoping to see Bortles replaced going into 2017 is going to be disappointed. We're not talking about a Blaine Gabbert, we're talking about a guy that holds all of the franchise passing records worth talking about. I know, I know, garbage time, blah blah blah.

There have been a lot of terrible teams in the league, and the Jaguars have been in that class for a lot of years. If garbage time were really what people here seem to think it is then Gabbert and Henne would have been up around the league lead in passing like Bortles has been. If garbage time were what it was really all about then there would be a lot of terrible QBs that were near the league lead in yards and TDs because their teams were always losing.

The Jaguars need to bring in good coaching first, and if that coaching thinks Bortles can't be worked with they'll figure out their plan.

One reason? Yeah. The dude has only played 39 games. 39 games with three different coordinators. 39 games being the most sacked QB, 39 games behind arguably the worst O-line in the league, 39 games without a semblance of a running game. 39 games with what many of you state daily as the worst head coach in history. Is that reason enough?...............................Well, IS IT?

Dude is in a major slump. Hopefully today he will start his crawl out of it, along with many of his struggling team mates.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:One reason? Yeah. The dude has only played 39 games. 39 games with three different coordinators. 39 games being the most sacked QB, 39 games behind arguably the worst O-line in the league, 39 games without a semblance of a running game. 39 games with what many of you state daily as the worst head coach in history. Is that reason enough?...............................Well, IS IT?

Dude is in a major slump. Hopefully today he will start his crawl out of it, along with many of his struggling team mates.
Blake seams like he is in panic mode.  And he shouldn't be.  It is not like he will be replaced next year. 

#Gojags

So Big Ben started out the season with 0 TDs and 7 INTs. You wanna bet there wasn't some panic in Steelerland? 

Quote:So Big Ben started out the season with 0 TDs and 7 INTs. You wanna bet there wasn't some panic in Steelerland? 
What people don't get.  The major difference between our team and the others.  Is the steelers, the clots, the pats, all had good to great defense.  When Blake took over ours was horrendous.  So the transition from year one to two to three.  Didnt happen.  Cause takes three phases to win and decent coaching. Our pass rush was non existent, Our corner backs were really bad. We had no true rb. And our oline could not pass protect. 

So in Blakes defense.  It is not fair to compare other teams to ours.  Give me qbs with terrible d that young qbs progressed in.  With hardly any d changes year to year? 

#Gojags

Because we as fans generally tend to overreact to the good and overreact even more with the bad. I will give the kid an off season and a new coach. Hopefully he has learned that he cant just relax all off season if he wants to be a NFL QB. He was not throwing this inaccurately last season so I think he is capable of bouncing back.

Also I know stats "lie" but they also don't lie and he is going to have 60+ TDs and close to 9000 yards passing when this season is over and you add it up with last season.  

Quote:Because we as fans generally tend to overreact to the good and overreact even more with the bad. I will give the kid an off season and a new coach. Hopefully he has learned that he cant just relax all off season if he wants to be a NFL QB. He was not throwing this inaccurately last season so I think he is capable of bouncing back.

Also I know stats "lie" but they also don't lie and he is going to have 60+ TDs and close to 9000 yards passing when this season is over and you add it up with last season.  
Well, That is why I hate when people say garbage time.  Cause the coaches don't have to go to prevent d.  They chose to.  They don't have to put in backups they chose to.  And if a team is losing by 17 and comes back and wins is that not a garbage time win then?  Would that win be any less then others?  You play to win the game.  So yes those stats are valid.  

However Blake this year is not the same.  Because the receivers are being adjusted to and don't seam like want it enough.  They can solve that easy.  Take out Hurns and put Lee in his spot and Greene in slot.  Or any other receiver. 

#Gojags

I don't understand why you guys get so caught up on stats. I don't care what he did last year or what records he has or how he got his stats or any of that nonsense.

I can plainly watch this guy and tell you he can't throw a football in the correct manner. What the hell do his stats matter if they're good or not? The team is awful, the guys throwing motion is awful.

You don't have to, but it's time to realize that Blake is likely not going to be the guy we thought he was when we took him at 3. That's on Caldwell.

Quote:I don't understand why you guys get so caught up on stats. I don't care what he did last year or what records he has or how he got his stats or any of that nonsense.

I can plainly watch this guy and tell you he can't throw a football in the correct manner. What the hell do his stats matter if they're good or not? The team is awful, the guys throwing motion is awful.

You don't have to, but it's time to realize that Blake is likely not going to be the guy we thought he was when we took him at 3. That's on Caldwell.
On deep passes this year I totally agree.  Is that footwork regressed, or nerves, or mechanics?  Who knows.  But he still throws 10 yard darts. 

#Gojags

Quote:On deep passes this year I totally agree. Is that footwork regressed, or nerves, or mechanics? Who knows. But he still throws 10 yard darts.

10 yard darts. Oh my I've heard it all folks.

The guy has to physically load his arm tribuchet to throw a 2 yard dumpoff.