Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jags would be wise to extend Marqise Lee

Quote:This is the point of the thread, I should've worded as "the Jaguars would be wise to lock up Marqise Lee right now", if they extend him before he reaches free agency there won't be a "bidding war".
I think it's going to be hard to pay up on Lee, Robinson, Telvin, Linder... Possibly Blake. Not to mention we need to sure up the Oline and more playmakers on D.

We have a lot of money but not enough to go around to everyone.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think it's going to be hard to pay up on Lee, Robinson, Telvin, Linder... Possibly Blake. Not to mention we need to sure up the Oline and more playmakers on D.

I think we can easily afford Lee at a 3 years $15M clip, also, this team isn't extending Blake Bortles anytime soon, he's played himself out of a lucrative deal. The jags also have multiple contracts (julius/odrick/House/Marks/Poz etc..) that they can get out of, creating even more space. cap space isn't a problem for this team, and won't be moving forward, even after the extensions to Telvin, A-Rob, and Linder.

Quote:I think we can easily afford Lee at a 3 years $15M clip, also, this team isn't extending Blake Bortles anytime soon, he's played himself out of a lucrative deal. The jags also have multiple contracts (julius/odrick/House/Marks/Poz etc..) that they can get out of, creating even more space. cap space isn't a problem for this team, and won't be moving forward, even after the extensions to Telvin, A-Rob, and Linder.

Every person you named in parentheses, I would be fine with if they walked tomorrow. They are all replaceable. 

I personally am excited to see what Smith can do in an actual NFL defensive scheme.

There is so much depth around the NFL at the #2 & #3 WR position.  I'd like to think Dave has a $$ in mind that factors in his injury past and future potential.  I'd think 3 years @ $4m per year would sound reasonable now that Bortles won't be getting his Andrew Luck type $150m long term extension.

Quote:I think it's going to be hard to pay up on Lee, Robinson, Telvin, Linder... Possibly Blake. Not to mention we need to sure up the Oline and more playmakers on D.

There are ~ 30 teams in the NFL that has more significant cap management issues.  We don't even have real pro bowl players to deal with.   The one thing about sucking is that it does free up a lot of cap space.

Hurns is already a top 15 paid WR and Arob is rightfully going to get a mega deal that pays him top 6-7 money. We can't afford paying Lee also. Just can't tie over 30 mil/yr into one position group. 

Quote:Every person you named in parentheses, I would be fine with if they walked tomorrow. They are all replaceable. 

I personally am excited to see what Smith can do in an actual NFL defensive scheme.

I should've added Skuta to that list as well, all of those guys are literally invisible on game day.

Quote:I should've added Skuta to that list as well, all of those guys are literally invisible on game day.
Skuta is atrocious.

Quote:Lee has had a nice year because he beats the guy defending him on nearly every single down.  Sure - his health finally holding up is a major factor, but his level of play easily surpasses "solid." 

His production would clearly be much greater with a more accurate QB. 

I also don't see two-time Biletnikoff award winning receivers that run a 4.4 forty "filtering in and out of the league every year."  His athleticism is more rare than you suggest IMO. 

His injury history will keep his price in check somewhat and the Jags have money.  Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

I love the first statement, btw

I won't go off about college football awards, i'll save that for a later date. The only disagreement I have comes from seeing enough NFL players who have the coveted 4.4-4.5 range speed in underwear coming into the league every year. I am very pleased with the season Lee has had. He makes big plays but you could say all of that about Mike Thomas who was 4th rounder. 

The 40 time arguments are funny, guys hits agood 40 and people go nuts. The pro Lee guys will flash the time he hit 4.4 and everyone else will go hey he hit 4.5 more.. like I really don't care that much about his 40 time. I know he had a good one for a 6'0 195 pound wr

Lee has a great first step which sets him apart from most of the guys with his build/speed, now try be honest with yourself, how many guys come into the league every year with his build and speed? 

I really like Lee, I'd love to keep him, I won't be upset if he's "overpaid" as that is relative...but my heart won't be broken at the same time because his talent isnt thaat rare. You could argue his work ethic is, and that's probably what's kept him in this league because going back to my original point, there are probably 5 guys a season in rounds 2-4 that have his natural skill set. That's the reality of being a pro athlete.

I'm going to go google some of this now, so build your case

Quote:Hurns is already a top 15 paid WR and Arob is rightfully going to get a mega deal that pays him top 6-7 money. We can't afford paying Lee also. Just can't tie over 30 mil/yr into one position group. 

It depends on how much it cost to retain Lee, it shouldn't be much. Outside of A-Rob, Linder, and Telvin, who else do the Jags have to pay? This team has plenty of cap space, especially considering they won't have to pay Bortles. Lee has surpassed Hurns at this point, I'd rather lock up Lee and make the tough decision on Hurns after the 2017 season.

Quote:It depends on how much it cost to retain Lee, it shouldn't be much. Outside of A-Rob, Linder, and Telvin, who else do the Jags have to pay? This team has plenty of cap space, especially considering they won't have to pay Bortles. Lee has surpassed Hurns at this point, I'd rather lock up Lee and make the tough decision on Hurns after the 2017 season.

Start saving to lock up Ramsey and Jack, lol.

They can easily afford Lee, Robinson, and Hurns especially if they move on from Julius Thomas.

Quote:Start saving to lock up Ramsey and Jack, lol.

Jack doesn't even play, haha! Leave it to Gus Bradley not to play one of the more freakish linebackers to come out of college in the last 20 years

Quote:They can easily afford Lee, Robinson, and Hurns especially if they move on from Julius Thomas.

Bingo

Quote:Skuta is atrocious.

He's really bad, it's shocking that a guy like Skuta is still on the roster.

It's frustrating to watch him on our team.  The guy seems to beat coverage pretty easily and Bortles just throws ducks at him

Quote:Jack doesn't even play, haha! Leave it to Gus Bradley not to play one of the more freakish linebackers to come out of college in the last 20 years

I am basing this off future value though. I think anybody with a set of eyes knows how special he will be if he stays healthy, but I am more for locking up premium positions.

Quote:I am basing this off future value though. I think anybody with a set of eyes knows how special he will be if he stays healthy, but I am more for locking up premium positions.

I know, I think Jack will develop into a superstar, but dude, the Jags won't have to extend Jack for another 4-5 years. Jack and Ramsey's future extensions won't effect the present.

Quote:It depends on how much it cost to retain Lee, it shouldn't be much. Outside of A-Rob, Linder, and Telvin, who else do the Jags have to pay? This team has plenty of cap space, especially considering they won't have to pay Bortles. Lee has surpassed Hurns at this point, I'd rather lock up Lee and make the tough decision on Hurns after the 2017 season.
I think Lee will have to get 6-8 million AAV, maybe more. Don't see why he couldn't get close to Hurns on the open market.

The highest total team salary for the WR position is the Cardinals at 26 million. Add Arob getting ~15 mil a year and that's at least 30 million + probably 3 more million in the rest of the WR depth.

It is technically possible yes, but do you really think we would lead the entire league in positional payroll by 30% over #2? I just don't think that happens.

Quote:Lee has had a nice year because he beats the guy defending him on nearly every single down. Sure - his health finally holding up is a major factor, but his level of play easily surpasses "solid."

His production would clearly be much greater with a more accurate QB.

I also don't see two-time Biletnikoff award winning receivers that run a 4.4 forty "filtering in and out of the league every year." His athleticism is more rare than you suggest IMO.

His injury history will keep his price in check somewhat and the Jags have money. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
you talking about Blackmon?