Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles QB traits

Can't throw a spiral consistently

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As of right now, he's lost all credibility as a reliable, long-term starting QB. Sad times. Right now, he's wasting the receiving talent around him

Quote:Yes. the QB is the leader of the team and he starts because of all the qb's on the roster, he gives the team the best chance to lead the team to victory.
Is Jay Cutler the leader of the Bears?

Being the QB doesn't automatically make you the leader. Being a winner, making the players around you better and having the team look up to you makes you a leader.

I said coming into the season the only plus traits he has were durability and athleticism for his size. Everything that is part of the actual throwing of the football is average or below average (or way below average). 

And then the season started and it appears I was too kind even then. 

Quote:- Tall

- Able to take hits

- Good throwing on the move

- Good runner

- Good tackler

- Doesn't seem to let turnovers affect him

That's all I got.

-Avoids sacks when you most expect them

-Stays healthy (only got hurt twice)

-Gets mad when bad things happen

Quote:Can't throw a spiral consistently

Fixed for clarification purposes.

Quote:- Good tackler

lol .... he has a lot of practice chasing down DBs

His throwing mechanics and footwork needs to be fixed. Once/if he does that, he can become a top 10 QB. His best spirals are on the run, this makes me hopeful that he can develop and throw spirals from the pocket. He makes the hard plays, but not the easy ones. Headscratching

Bortles would be great for Duck Hunting Practice.

Set and ready to shoot a duck, BB stands there waiting for the "Pull" command. He let's loose a throw. The shooter has a great wobbling duck to aim at.

Quote:His throwing mechanics and footwork needs to be fixed. Once/if he does that, he can become a top 10 QB. His best spirals are on the run, this makes me hopeful that he can develop and throw spirals from the pocket. He makes the hard plays, but not the easy ones. Headscratching
An NFL QB that still has to figure out how to throw a spiral going into his 4th season still has the potential to become a top 10 QB? Yeah I'm going to disagree with that, he struggles at stuff that high school QBs are masters of mechanically. 

Looks good in practice

R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

Quote:His throwing mechanics and footwork needs to be fixed. Once/if he does that, he can become a top 10 QB. His best spirals are on the run, this makes me hopeful that he can develop and throw spirals from the pocket. He makes the hard plays, but not the easy ones. Headscratching
I agree with this. Although he makes a ton of boneheaded plays, he was really good at times last year when he was able to improve his mechanics. They're all out of whack now and he needs to go back to the beginning and see how he does. I think they'll bring in a mid round QB to compete with him or maybe a vet, but he needs to get back to basics. 

Quote:An NFL QB that still has to figure out how to throw a spiral going into his 4th season still has the potential to become a top 10 QB? Yeah I'm going to disagree with that, he struggles at stuff that high school QBs are masters of mechanically. 

I gave you a lot of [BLEEP] a month ago and kept defending him after the win in London. I owe you an apology. You were right about him mechanically. I was hoping if the running game improved that somehow that would make up for his lack of fundamentals. It doesn't. It's a shame. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Throws a beautiful spiral

Nice touch on short throws

Can really thread the ball and avoid picks

Unshaken confidence

Implements prostyle mechanics well 

Winning NFL record

Proven team leadership skills

Great hair

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2016, 09:12 AM by MoJagFan.)

I guess DC let's Gus call the shots on the coaching decisions and doesn't have in season input.  How the heck can you put in a long term plan and draft a guy you know needs to work on fundamentals and then let your coach play the guy.  Hindsight being what it is, there is no way he should have seen the field until the Oline was capable and he could get his mechanics burned in.

Unfortunately we have a GM that is struggling just as much as the coaching staff.  The plan was faulty and they stuck with projects and the patience has not produced.  Crazy season after years and years of rebuilding.  Man the hype this summer was flat wrong across the board.

Edit:

And yes I was someone who was wooed by pre-season play and wanted him to play.  I wrongly thought the live action would help out.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Bortles won't be in the league in 3 years.

Quote:Throws a beautiful spiral

Nice touch on short throws

Can really thread the ball and avoid picks

Unshaken confidence

Implements prostyle mechanics well

Winning NFL record

Proven team leadership skills

Great hair
who is Russell Wilson?

Quote:Bortles won't be in the league in 3 years.

Maybe, maybe not, but he will more then likely be the Jags QB going into next season and hopefully he spends a lot of time in the off season working on becoming a much better QB because there is a pretty good chance next year looks a whole lot like this year if he doesn't.

A new HC can only do so much with a QB who throws a wobbly inaccurate football and a lot of INTs.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Bortles won't be in the league in 3 years.

I actually think he will be. If he doesn't turn it around here in Jacksonville and play lights out I could see a team like Arizona asking for him in a deal for a low draft selection. I think Bruce Arians could fix this kid. I really do think he could do it. Arizona is in a desperate need of a QB with Palmer getting longer in the tooth each season. And Bortles would offer some potential there in Arizona. I wouldn't be shocked to see other teams like San Francisco, Buffalo, New York (Jets) & Miami calling for him as well for a low draft selection. He could be salvaged by other coaches who are looking to either push their starter or at least secure a potential back-up that could actually produce in the right circumstances. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:He came in to the NFL looking like Big Ben but somehow turned into Tim Tebow.
Tebow runs better.

Throws about the same....

One big difference is TEBOW FOUND WAYS TO WIN.

BLAKE FINDS WAYS TO LOOSE