Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida Times Union Endorsing Trump

Seriously... who cares?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Your statement is about as true as Gus Bradley is a good coach.
Take that back! There are plenty of high schools that would love to have Gus Bradley coaching the cheerleading squad!

Quote:Seriously... who cares?

People who read the FTU, of course.

I wonder who the Gainesville Sun endorses.

Quote:People who read the FTU, of course.

I wonder who the Gainesville Sun endorses.
Billy Donovan

Quote:Billy Donovan

For which job?

Considering that Florida can potentially be very close in this election and the state might even decide the entire election,   this endorsement is a major boost for Donald Trump's chances.   There are plenty of people that will vote based on an endorsement.   

Quote:Considering that Florida can potentially be very close in this election and the state might even decide the entire election, this endorsement is a major boost for Donald Trump's chances. There are plenty of people that will vote based on an endorsement.
In most places, I agree, but let's stay focused on the reality of the situation: this is Jacksonville. Everyone who is going to vote for Trump would have voted for Trump no matter what the T-U said, and no one who wasn't already going to vote for Trump is going to change their minds based upon the opinion of the newspaper world's equivalent of Middle Tennessee State.

Quote:In most places, I agree, but let's stay focused on the reality of the situation: this is Jacksonville. Everyone who is going to vote for Trump would have voted for Trump no matter what the T-U said, and no one who wasn't already going to vote for Trump is going to change their minds based upon the opinion of the newspaper world's equivalent of Middle Tennessee State.

I think in this case though,  some people that were considering to vote for Donald Trump instead of another non-Hillary Clinton option could be influenced by the T-U's endorsement.  After seeing how close the race in Florida in the 2000 election was,   even a relatively small votes for Trump instead of a non-Clinton option could be the difference.  

I'm not sure what the overall influence of the T-U is but it wouldn't surprise me that many people in NE Florida only read this newspaper on a daily basis.  

Quote:Considering that Florida can potentially be very close in this election and the state might even decide the entire election, This endorsement is a major boost for Donald Trump's chances. There are plenty of people that will vote based on an endorsement.   

Florida has been a tossup, usually leaning toward Hillary Clinton, all year. It has decided the winner of every election since 1960. However, because of absentee and early voting, the FTU endorsement is useless to many voters in Duval and nearby counties who probably voted for Donald Trump anyway.

Quote:Florida has been a tossup, usually leaning toward Hillary Clinton, all year. It has decided the winner of every election since 1960. However, because of absentee and early voting, the FTU endorsement is useless to many voters in Duval and nearby counties who probably voted for Donald Trump anyway.

Florida was decided by around 500 votes in 2000.   For Donald Trump to win the state,  he's going to need to win NE Florida by a sizable margin.   Though some people already voted, many haven't.   Considering how few newspaper endorsements Trump has received,  this one seems significant.   Especially,  since it's in a swing state with a very large number of electoral votes.

Quote:I think in this case though, some people that were considering to vote for Donald Trump instead of another non-Hillary Clinton option could be influenced by the T-U's endorsement. After seeing how close the race in Florida in the 2000 election was, even a relatively small votes for Trump instead of a non-Clinton option could be the difference.  

I'm not sure what the overall influence of the T-U is but it wouldn't surprise me that many people in NE Florida only read this newspaper on a daily basis.  

Ugh, the 2000 election was beyond horrible here. Al Gore actually won the popular vote that year. This thread would get derailed quickly if you want to know my opinions about the recount.

George Bush was certified by a 537-vote margin - much smaller than what anybody can expect this time around - thanks to a voting system that was promptly outlawed after the disaster. I doubt there will be any question who wins the state Tuesday night. Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump supporters can be optimistic about their chances here.

Quote:Ugh, the 2000 election was beyond horrible here. Al Gore actually won the popular vote that year. This thread would get derailed quickly if you want to know my opinions about the recount.

George Bush was certified by a 537-vote margin - much smaller than what anybody can expect this time around - thanks to a voting system that was promptly outlawed after the disaster. I doubt there will be any question who wins the state Tuesday night. Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump supporters can be optimistic about their chances here.

We will see.   Based on history,  at least one state is going to be extremely tight.   If the outcome of the overall Presidential race is close,  it wouldn't surprise me if there's a recount in Florida.

Quote:We will see. Based on history, at least one state is going to be extremely tight.  If the outcome of the overall Presidential race is close, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a recount in Florida.

Fortunately in the event of a recount, there will be no problem figuring out how many votes each candidate gets. Jeb Bush switched the system to sheets with boxes you fill in completely that go through optical scanners. (Younger people are familiar with this format from taking tests in grade school.)

It was a primary election for a commissioner, but once I voted in a "runoff" election because after the recount it was still tied. Can you imagine that happening for a statewide vote?

Quote:Fortunately in the event of a recount, there will be no problem figuring out how many votes each candidate gets. Jeb Bush switched the system to sheets with boxes you fill in completely that go through optical scanners. (Younger people are familiar with this format from taking tests in grade school.)

It was a primary election for a commissioner, but once I voted in a "runoff" election because after the recount it was still tied. Can you imagine that happening for a statewide vote?

Run-off elections are common in state-wide or city wide primary elections. 

Quote:  Florida was decided by around 500 votes in 2000. 
No, it was decided by five. But that's just one small step towards a frightening future of activist judges being used as political pawns rather than impartial jurists.

Quote:No, it was decided by five. But that's just one small step towards a frightening future of activist judges being used as political pawns rather than impartial jurists.

Unfortunately,  we have also seen far too many cases since they that activist judges decided.   It seems like impartial jurists are becoming more and more of the exception,  not the norm.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2016, 01:14 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:No, it was decided by five. But that's just one small step towards a frightening future of activist judges being used as political pawns rather than impartial jurists.

537, not 5

Unless of course you agree with me that George Bush sued his way to the White House with the help of his brother.

Quote:537, not 5

Unless of course you agree with me that George Bush sued his way to the White House with the help of his brother.

He's referring to the court decision that ultimately decided that election.

Quote:He's referring to the court decision that ultimately decided that election.

I figured that out a little late. Now it is not an option in a worst case scenario because the Senate Republicans promised to block any Justice nominee, so the court has only eight judges.

I read if neither candidates gets 270, the U.S. House of Representatives will take over. That would be good news for Trump because the Republicans are in charge.

Quote:537, not 5

To a large extent, yes. There is no doubt in my mind that the Bush family decided there was no way W. would lose Florida, and while the Jeb Bush administration may not have broken any laws, they certainly selectively enforced them in such a way that their intentions of seeing Bush win the state were clear.