Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell is a genius.

(11-06-2017, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I've always been pro Dave.

On the Gus hire, he was supposed to be a great hire. People here, and nationally, loved Guys as a HC candidate. I do fault Dave for not moving on sooner, but oh well, we got LF and Cam out of it.

I'm learning to be really skeptical about coaches that are "loved" by the players, media, analysts, etc.

This is just my experience as an fan/observer from the outside, both following a college and NFL team. I tend to get burned when I drink the kool-aid about how much the staff loves a coach. They end up being busts most of the time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like DC's priority of focusing on talent and playmakers from the SEC, ACC, and PAC12, specifically the talent coming out of the state of Florida. I recall 1 year when Gene Smith didn't have a single SEC player on the roster. DC definitely brought the swag back to Duval that JDR and Gene Smith dissolved. The reason I bring up JDR is because he didn't like players like Mike Pete to speak out as team leaders -- kind of killed our mojo. Gene was all about obtaining 11 average players that would come together as a team (e.g. the whole is greater than the sum of your parts)

That said, DC's focus on free agents such as Toby Gerhart, Zane Beadles, and others was just horrible.

All in all, I like DC so i'm happy he's having success !!!

.... sidenote: even TC learned his lesson years ago about cap management when he signed Brunell and Boselli to contracts that could have devastated our team in the early 2000s if it weren't for Shack Harris unloading them to the redskins & texan respectively and getting us out of a jam

(11-06-2017, 06:29 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I like DC's priority of focusing on talent and playmakers from the SEC, ACC, and PAC12, specifically the talent coming out of the state of Florida.   I recall 1 year when Gene Smith didn't have a single SEC player on the roster.  DC definitely brought the swag back to Duval that JDR and Gene Smith dissolved.  The reason I bring up JDR is because he didn't like players like Mike Pete to speak out as team leaders -- kind of killed our mojo.  Gene was all about obtaining 11 average players that would come together as a team (e.g. the whole is greater than the sum of your parts)

That said, DC's focus on free agents such as Toby Gerhart, Zane Beadles, and others was just horrible.

.... sidenote: even TC learned his lesson years ago about cap management when he signed Brunell and Boselli to contracts that could have devastated our team in the early 2000s if it weren't for Shack Harris unloading them to the redskins & texan respectively and getting us out of a jam

I've been a DC supporter mainly because it appeared (and appears) to me that he learns from his mistakes.  He has become a better GM during his time with the Jags.  We have one of the best rosters in the league now.  I'm glad we didn't fire him last year like a lot wanted.

He drafted well but what about the FA he landed?

Jackson, Campbell, Bouye, Church, Gipson and traded for Dareus.

He had done a great job of mixing the draft with FA.

(11-06-2017, 05:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

On the Gus hire, he was supposed to be a great hire. People here, and nationally, loved Guys as a HC candidate. I do fault Dave for not moving on sooner, but oh well, we got LF and Cam out of it.

The problem wasn't the hire. It was the delayed firing. Gus was given too much time when it was clear to everybody you had seen his best.

That's exactly what I just said...
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I guess overshooting the moon is in order when we are two games over .500 for the first time in nearly a decade...but jeez let's try to keep it reeled in a tad going forward.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 09:33 PM by spacecoastjag.)

(11-06-2017, 06:29 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I like DC's priority of focusing on talent and playmakers from the SEC, ACC, and PAC12, specifically the talent coming out of the state of Florida.   I recall 1 year when Gene Smith didn't have a single SEC player on the roster.  DC definitely brought the swag back to Duval that JDR and Gene Smith dissolved.  The reason I bring up JDR is because he didn't like players like Mike Pete to speak out as team leaders -- kind of killed our mojo.  Gene was all about obtaining 11 average players that would come together as a team (e.g. the whole is greater than the sum of your parts)

Gerhart and Beadles were terrible along with Julius Thomas but....

You forget to mention AJ Bouye, Barry Church, Malik Jackson and the best FA signing in Jags history already Calais Campbell.

Caldwell deserves a lot of credit for being primarily responsible for putting together a team with enough talent to be a playoff contender for the next several seasons. Coughlin certainly contributed greatly to the team's free agency haul, especially Campbell. No way I would call Caldwell a genius since he's the guy who extended Bradley's contract and drafted Blake Bortles rather than Mack or Carr. However, he will have a chance during the upcoming off-season to truly earn a reputation as the guy who built the NFL's next powerhouse team. The toughest decisions will be:

1. How to handle the quarterback situation.
2. Managing the salary cap/whom to let go.

If he gets both of these right, our fans will have the opportunity to attend home playoff games for the next 5 years, barring a rash of injuries like the Texans experienced this season to their key players. If he gets both of these decisions right, the word "genius" will be used by many when describing Caldwell.

Caldwell said in an interview awhile ago that he was persuaded by the guys in the room on Gus and wasn't sold or something.

(11-06-2017, 05:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

The problem wasn't the hire. It was the delayed firing. Gus was given too much time when it was clear to everybody you had seen his best.
I agree that the delayed firing was the issue, but honestly, if you kept him after the 3rd year (2015), when he really seemed to finally moving the team forward a little, you might as well roll through the 4th. What would we have gained by cutting him earlier last year? A couple wins, no Fournette? Not sure there was much gain to be had. 

Everyone wanted Gus to succeed, and he definitely stunk it up, but going into last year (i.e. before the season started) Gus was loooking like he might have the team going in the right direction. Our QB had just thrown for the most TD's and Yards ever for a Jags, ARob had emerged as a dominate receiver, the talent on defense was starting to show. 

Other than only getting 5 wins the previous season, there was real reason to believe the team was improving. The reason we fired Gus is because we finally had some expectations and he failed to deliver spectacularly. But if he hadn't had ANY improvement the season before then he would have been gone already. 

Thats all the defending of Caldwell I can do on this. Yeah in hindsight, we kept Gus too long, but I get why we did. He didn't have the worse record for any coach after three seasons. It took him 4 to do that, and our 'rebuild' was much harder than other teams had to do from top to bottom.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I've been firmly on the "Caldwell out" side of things the last 2 years and trashed him multiple times but I'm happy with how things have turned out so far this year. His picks are playing well. His signings are lights out. Overall the team "build" has been great. 

I think Coughlin helped steady the ship and perhaps added a laser focus that was missing before. Bradley and Bortles were still huge misses but I'm willing to look past them if we continue doing good stuff. Pretty fickle of me but ultimately fandom is fickle by nature.

The fact that you think Caldwell is a genius says a lot about your intelligence (or lack of). I bet you said the same thing about Gene Smith.

(11-07-2017, 12:39 AM)PiHaunting Raven Wrote: The fact that you think Caldwell is a genius says a lot about your intelligence (or lack of). I bet you said the same thing about Gene Smith.

And who are you to judge somebody's intelligence when you yourself just broke one of the board rules?

Dave has done a good job. Sidenote: I havent seen Dave on any media since the draft. Every other year he was everywhere. Tom~
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(11-06-2017, 10:36 PM)haveaseat Wrote: Caldwell said in an interview awhile ago that he was persuaded by the guys in the room on Gus and wasn't sold or something.

This was the way I understood it as well.  I thought he wanted to get rid of Bradley earlier than he ultimately did.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 03:21 AM by jrvegeeta.)

(11-07-2017, 10:03 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 10:36 PM)haveaseat Wrote: Caldwell said in an interview awhile ago that he was persuaded by the guys in the room on Gus and wasn't sold or something.

This was the way I understood it as well.  I thought he wanted to get rid of Bradley earlier than he ultimately did.

So basically, alot of people might have had DC all wrong and he WANTED Gus gone but a lot of people begged him not to fire sprinkles....interesting....

5-3 at the halfway mark, year 5 of the 'process'. OP must not think highly of geniuses. DC has weathered the storm; built the long hard way. Now, his role as GM in the organization is fuzzy. Is he content to remain in this joint effort, or does he seek more autonomy? He is regarded league wide and will earn more props as the team improves.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 06:31 AM by Achilles. Edit Reason: Error )

(11-08-2017, 03:20 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 10:03 AM)Rico Wrote: This was the way I understood it as well.  I thought he wanted to get rid of Bradley earlier than he ultimately did.

So basically, alot of people might have had DC all wrong and he WANTED Gus gone but a lot of people begged him not to fire sprinkles....interesting....

Caldwell gave Gus a lot of good talent. There were some misses and there were some unfortunate injuries like Fowler, but Gus had more than enough talent to muster out more wins than he did.

I remember Gus wasn't exactly his guy. Dave did his job, Gus didnt. After gus' 3rd year it was clear he was holding the team back, not the players. 

The addition of TC to the staff gave the jags more leaguewide credibility and respect immediately. 

I believe that only enhanced Dave's ability to bring in premier guys, like Calais and bouye.

I also think the dareus trade was the icing on top. That guy is a potential game changer and was gifted away for a 6th. Major props to whoever recognized the need and got that deal done. That's a steal.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(11-08-2017, 03:20 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 10:03 AM)Rico Wrote: This was the way I understood it as well.  I thought he wanted to get rid of Bradley earlier than he ultimately did.

Actually - it was insinuated that Shad and Tony Kahn felt they owed it to Bradley to give him the fourth year because they had committed to such an extensive rebuild.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 10:44 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

The team was a mess when was inherited. And had to be re built from scratch. And the original deal was four years. Khan held up to his end. But after the team made the statement at the tacks game. It was clear gus was not the answer.

Khan told the team to make a statement. And the statement they made. Was they flat out didn't try and intentionally gave up. Stating they no longer wanted to play for Bradley.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags