Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marcell Dareus - departure impact on the Bills

The one comment on the Bills board about him being punished and traded to be the only person the team to make the playoffs had me rolling.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017, 05:52 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Again Billsfan, not to argue but it just doesn’t make sense. You say the trade is about getting from under the contract but you guys have tons of cap space. Then on top of that y’all are still paying 14 million against the cap for him next year only saving 2 million overall. You traded him for a 6th (gonna be a 5th) which is at best a back up. Telvin Smith is our best 5th rounder and that was by pure luck. Most likely you are getting a Chris Smith at best in the 5th round.

I get the “headache” thing but was he really that bad or did he just make some mistakes and fall out of good graces with the front office. I remember Del Rio having good players in the dog house and that back fired on him big time. Again you have a better understanding of Buffalo and their thinking but I just can’t make sense of it. Just keep the guy since you gotta pay him anyway. And then to do it in the middle of a playoff run.

I don’t think I’ve ever sense this before but I thank McB for it.

Those 35-40% snaps he plays has been huge in morphing our run defense.

Dareus has played 23% of the Bills defensive snaps this season and that's after 3 games without him. (Didn't play the Oakland game) He played significantly more than Billsfan wants to admit.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017, 09:03 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

a couple plays showing how much they miss MD

(11-13-2017, 09:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

a couple plays showing how much they miss MD

Wow

The Saints ran the ball 24 straight times.

That is a butt kicking!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 03:19 PM by Billsfan1212.)

I'm not sure what you guys want me to say at this point that hasn't already been said.
He didnt fit in. Do i wish he did? sure. I'm not the coach or responsible for the atmosphere or culture they are trying to build. When he was traded, it seemed to be a bit of a relief of players. a few had cryptic parting shots. There are a few different things here... do the powers that be at One Bills Drive miss him? No. They arent dumb, they know what they had and what he was capable of. Do the fans? sure, to a degree bc now they need something to blame JUST like the blamed SAMMY being traded before the year. The Tampa game he played 41 snaps, while having a combined 45 total in the previous 2. Enough to game plan for yes, but not a difference maker. They made a decision and decided he didnt fit the culture and may have even been the poster child for the anti culture. Right? Wrong? I dont know - its not my culture and I dont decide what fits and what doesn't. The fact is, the Jags have had a GOOD D all year. The Bills have had an OPPORTUNISTIC D until 2 games ago. Along with that came momentum and points. Granted, way more FGs then anything - but points none the less. As I said yesterday, what can the D do when the O goes 3 and out and keeps laying dud after dud. This D as it stands now if full of placeholders save a few key positions. Before the season Buffalo was perceived as tanking , while the Jags had a known commodity in their D. Now, majority of fans want the tank back on and they still have a winning record! (at least for one more week). Bottom line is this D greatly overachieved for a period of time, close to half a season. When you are getting so many turnovers things are smoke and mirrors to a degree. So, Im not sure what it is you guys want me to say? everything I say someone wants to challenge it - I mean, I could type Marcel Dareus is gos gift to football and the Bills made a horrible decision and got fleeced by a much superior Jags team.
Instead of trying to discuss and give insight as to the how/why - it seems no one will be happy until the above statement is written. Now, obviously i dont believe that bc as I've said there is a whole lot that goes into it and its not just as simple as everyone is happy until oct 27th when the Jags called the Bills out of the blue and offered a 6th (cond 5th) rd pick to the Bills for their All Pro DT and the Bills were looking to get worse in the run so it made sense for them..... I dunno guys... I think what isnt being taken into account here is if the Bills didnt have a decent start in a terrible AFC we arent even having this conversation bc it doesnt matter. This wasnt supposed to be a good, or really even decent year for the Bills. ANYTHING that comes from it is a bonus. The amount of roster holes that were just'filled' was crazy and there will be a similar situation next year. They are still in the tear down portion of a rebuild - which to a degree is why that trade could even happen in the 1st place. Maybe they win 9-maybe they dont win another game. House $$ at this point and any Bills fan who tells you other wise is akoolaid drinker desperate for anything. There seriously are all ready fans calling for McDermotts head. Dude hasnt even been here for his own draft yet. Buffalo is football crazy.... but the drought has lead to their fans sometimes being crazy as well

(11-14-2017, 03:12 PM)Billsfan1212 Wrote: I'm not sure what you guys want me to say at this point that hasn't already been said.
He didnt fit in. Do i wish he did? sure. I'm not the coach or responsible for the atmosphere or culture they are trying to build. When he was traded, it seemed to be a bit of a relief of players. a few had cryptic parting shots. There are a few different things here... do the powers that be at One Bills Drive miss him? No. They arent dumb, they know what they had and what he was capable of. Do the fans? sure, to a degree bc now they need something to blame JUST like the blamed SAMMY being traded before the year. The Tampa game he played 41 snaps, while having a combined 45 total in the previous 2. Enough to game plan for yes, but not a difference maker. They made a decision and decided he didnt fit the culture and may have even been the poster child for the anti culture. Right? Wrong? I dont know - its not my culture and I dont decide what fits and what doesn't.  The fact is, the Jags have had a GOOD D all year. The Bills have had an OPPORTUNISTIC D until 2 games ago. Along with that came momentum and points. Granted, way for FG then anything - but points none the less. As I said yesterday, what can the D do when the O goes 3 and out and keeps laying dud after dud. This D as it stands now if full of placeholders save a few key positions. Before the season Buffalo was perceived as tanking , while the Jags had a known commodity in their D. Now, majority of fans want the tank back on and they still have a winning record! (at least for one more week). Bottom line is this D greatly overachieved for a period of time, close to half a season. When you are getting so many turnovers things are smoke and mirrors to a degree. So, Im not sure what it is you guys want me to say? everything I say someone wants to challenge it - I mean, I could type Marcel Dareus is gos gift to football and the Bills made a horrible decision and got fleeced by a much superior Jags team.
Instead of trying to discuss and give insight as to the how/why - it seems no one will be happy until the above statement is written. Now, obviously i dont believe that bc as I've said there is a whole lot that goes into it and its not just as simple as everyone is happy until oct 27th when the Jags called the Bills out of the blue and offered a 6th (cond 5th) rd pick to the Bills for their All Pro DT and the Bills were looking to get worse in the run so it made sense for them..... I dunno guys...
TL;DR
We don't want you to say anything.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM by Billsfan1212.)

(11-13-2017, 05:51 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Again Billsfan, not to argue but it just doesn’t make sense. You say the trade is about getting from under the contract but you guys have tons of cap space. Then on top of that y’all are still paying 14 million against the cap for him next year only saving 2 million overall. You traded him for a 6th (gonna be a 5th) which is at best a back up. Telvin Smith is our best 5th rounder and that was by pure luck. Most likely you are getting a Chris Smith at best in the 5th round.

I get the “headache” thing but was he really that bad or did he just make some mistakes and fall out of good graces with the front office. I remember Del Rio having good players in the dog house and that back fired on him big time. Again you have a better understanding of Buffalo and their thinking but I just can’t make sense of it. Just keep the guy since you gotta pay him anyway. And then to do it in the middle of a playoff run.

I don’t think I’ve ever sense this before but I thank McB for it.

Those 35-40% snaps he plays has been huge in morphing our run defense.

I'm not in the room, but it was apparent he didnt fit in with what they wanted. Scott told him last year they couldnt write the playbook in crayon (which hurt lol) and I kinda wondered if he just wasnt picking up what was being taught or if he didnt care. I really dont want to rehash this all again, (he said BOLDLY for Cleetwood) but they've essentially said it was addition by subtraction and it may not be apparent right away but given time and in the grand scheme of things it was more beneficial to pay him to go away than to play. It seemed he got paid, didnt care, and did whatever Marcel wanted to do. Cut scene/trade to JAK - and he seems to have woken up and found his groove for a winning team. Hey, nothing to complain about there! Bills are in flux, as there will be as much roster turnover next year as this year- and they found a team willing to give them SOMETHING rather than need to pay them to take him. Jax was prob the best spot for him he could have landed.... but like i said before, anyone coulda had him. Its not like buffalo said we are only trading him to the Jags. they saw potential and were apparently the only team will ing to take the risk. As you guys pointed out, the D was already excellent which mitigated said risk.

Also, just to note. I'm not 'down' on the Bills. For years theyve been following the Browns plan of giving a coach 2 or 3 years and a GM the same or a little more before canning them and moving on. They've never had 'a plan'. It seems like common sense.... but they havent. Theyve just added big $$ guys to a roster - hope they fit in- and watched it all go to hell. I dont get too high or low. We had idiots after beating OAK saying they were going to go to the AFCC.... and now they want the new coach and GM fired. Rome wasnt built in a day, and I personally just enjoy the process of step by step changing pieces to get where this team needs to be. It wont happen with TT as QB, and many of their guys would be backups on other teams.... they were just playing over their heads. Fans like me are willing to give it a few years and 'trust the process' and the others seem to be a bit high on drama and just get ssoo up or down. Those are the ones still complaining about Watkins, Dareus, and want a rookie 5th rd QB to start this week..... yikes

My god. I can't keep reading the same things over and over again.

People baited you into this thread. Please stop writing the same thing over and over and over again.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 04:17 PM by Billsfan1212.)

(11-14-2017, 03:15 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 03:12 PM)Billsfan1212 Wrote: I'm not sure what you guys want me to say at this point that hasn't already been said.
He didnt fit in. Do i wish he did? sure. I'm not the coach or responsible for the atmosphere or culture they are trying to build. When he was traded, it seemed to be a bit of a relief of players. a few had cryptic parting shots. There are a few different things here... do the powers that be at One Bills Drive miss him? No. They arent dumb, they know what they had and what he was capable of. Do the fans? sure, to a degree bc now they need something to blame JUST like the blamed SAMMY being traded before the year. The Tampa game he played 41 snaps, while having a combined 45 total in the previous 2. Enough to game plan for yes, but not a difference maker. They made a decision and decided he didnt fit the culture and may have even been the poster child for the anti culture. Right? Wrong? I dont know - its not my culture and I dont decide what fits and what doesn't.  The fact is, the Jags have had a GOOD D all year. The Bills have had an OPPORTUNISTIC D until 2 games ago. Along with that came momentum and points. Granted, way for FG then anything - but points none the less. As I said yesterday, what can the D do when the O goes 3 and out and keeps laying dud after dud. This D as it stands now if full of placeholders save a few key positions. Before the season Buffalo was perceived as tanking , while the Jags had a known commodity in their D. Now, majority of fans want the tank back on and they still have a winning record! (at least for one more week). Bottom line is this D greatly overachieved for a period of time, close to half a season. When you are getting so many turnovers things are smoke and mirrors to a degree. So, Im not sure what it is you guys want me to say? everything I say someone wants to challenge it - I mean, I could type Marcel Dareus is gos gift to football and the Bills made a horrible decision and got fleeced by a much superior Jags team.
Instead of trying to discuss and give insight as to the how/why - it seems no one will be happy until the above statement is written. Now, obviously i dont believe that bc as I've said there is a whole lot that goes into it and its not just as simple as everyone is happy until oct 27th when the Jags called the Bills out of the blue and offered a 6th (cond 5th) rd pick to the Bills for their All Pro DT and the Bills were looking to get worse in the run so it made sense for them..... I dunno guys...
TL;DR

WE? ya got a mouse in your pocket? questions are posed to me or I'm made mention of (I know this because they say BILLSFAN) ssssoooo...... yeah.....

PS- you with your TL DR- if you REALLY didnt read and werent stuck on being ignorant - you wouldnt have referenced a question I asked 3/4 of the way through my response... Stop acting like a tool and have some class like the rest of your message board population. A monkey can manage to string together 4 key strokes (5 if you count the semicolon) and is at least smart enough to not discredit their 'insult' less than 10 syllables later!!! Agree or disagree with me, everyone else seems capable and willing to be able to string some sort of actual thought provoking response in which i've enjoyed learning about JAX POV and why things are the way they are. Try, you might like it

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 04:18 PM by Billsfan1212.)

(11-14-2017, 03:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: My god. I can't keep reading the same things over and over again.

People baited you into this thread. Please stop writing the same thing over and over and over again.

Apparently, the cool thing to do is just writing tl Dr... But you're better than that in my limited experience here.
The cool thing about Barry Sanders is when he scored, he just flipped the ball to the ref. No rubbing it in the other teams face, showboating etc. I respect the crap out of him for that. It's apparent early returns for you guys are good and you were winning before... I find it interesting my posting (even though totally even keeled and not angry or sarcastic) has pressed buttons like it has. Enjoying a great season should be all that matters, but for some reason it's like people wanna rub it in my face. My feelings obviously haven't changed 2 losses later.

Lol, I fully understand the premace of the thread. I respect those who have taken the time to have an actual discussion. No need to get mad or let it bother you - ESPECIALLY when I dont...
I'm not going to all of a sudden get salty and disappear. Thats part of the thing going to another teams board. Anyone can talk smack and bounce. Its the sticking with it right or wrong and dealing with it thats the hard part. All is good. You guys do you. I enjoy reading it and I enjoy the conversation in seeing how the other half lives!!

Good luck Billsfan1212, we know what a carousel feels like. Heck I'm not even convinced we will see a payoff yet. It has been more fun to watch this year but ugh things can change for the worse.

My relatives are all up in Western New York and they are Steelers fans. I was the only one in the family that would say Buffalo was the only NY team. Man a 2 year tear down is going to be painful to go through. Yikes that is some crazy planning and faith the fans will understand. We also understand having systems that don't fit the players. Thinking of Gus's defense still causes me to shudder. But then you look at how they are playing under him for the LAC and you realize Defensive Coordinator is where the guy fits.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-14-2017, 06:21 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Good luck Billsfan1212, we know what a carousel feels like.  Heck I'm not even convinced we will see a payoff yet.  It has been more fun to watch this year but ugh things can change for the worse.

My relatives are all up in Western New York and they are Steelers fans.  I was the only one in the family that would say Buffalo was the only NY team.  Man a 2 year tear down is going to be painful to go through.  Yikes that is some crazy planning and faith the fans will understand.  We also understand having systems that don't fit the players.  Thinking of Gus's defense still causes me to shudder.  But then you look at how they are playing under him for the LAC and you realize Defensive Coordinator is where the guy fits.

haha very cool! We seem to have steelers contingents around here but not nearly the numbers that I see in Rochester or even like Myrtle Beach for example. That always amazed me. Transplant situations are always kinda funny. I lived in Wilmington NC for a couple years before coming back to wny. The 1st week there I went to the local chain sports bar wondering if they would even have hockey (a few days before I was at a buddies who got the NHL package and he had friends over who seriously had never seen hockey and had no idea what to make of it) and lo and behold not only did they show NHL - I found a row of Sabres jerseys at the bar and all tv's were tuned to the Sabres game. That worked out well but who woulda thought!

Your 2nd point is spot on. This team/area didnt jive with Marrone.... which is weird being from NY and having spend time at Syrcucse. He just didnt fit in for whatever reason and it was a bit of a mismatch from the start. He LOOKS much more comfortable down in JAX and they seem to have embraced his style and system as well as his personality. Great Match! Tyrod Taylor was benched today. I've seen on opponents message boards posters saying things (mostly weeks 1-7 lol) 'Man, I wish we had a qb like taylor" and this was before the game each week but Buffalo seems unwilling to cater their style to his strengths.
I have a feeling he will end up somewhere ready and willing to adjust to HIM and he will have great success. I guess thats why retreads get retread, hoping something clicks!

(11-14-2017, 03:36 PM)Billsfan1212 Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 03:15 PM)Kane Wrote: TL;DR

WE?  ya got a mouse in your pocket? questions are posed to me or I'm made mention of (I know this because they say BILLSFAN) ssssoooo...... yeah.....

PS- you with your TL DR- if you REALLY didnt read and werent stuck on being ignorant - you wouldnt have referenced a question I asked 3/4 of the way through my response... Stop acting like a tool and have some class like the rest of your message board population. A monkey can manage to string together 4 key strokes (5 if you count the semicolon) and is at least smart enough to not discredit their 'insult' less than 10 syllables later!!! Agree or disagree with me, everyone else seems capable and willing to be able to string some sort of actual thought provoking response in which i've enjoyed learning about JAX POV and why things are the way they are. Try, you might like it

Ignorant... you sure you aren't #madbro?

class like the rest of the message board population? HAHAHAHAHA you really are new here.

I answered the question posed in the very first sentence... not sure why you're getting all butt hurt because I didn't want to take the time to read your long well thought out repetitive post, so I was just letting you know... it was too long, so I stopped reading it.
But still answered you question you asked

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017, 03:46 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I honestly feel like when they did the pros and cons on Dareus before they traded him they looked at the Seattle game. Knowing Joeckel is there, Dareus is one of the worst possible matchups in the league for the joke. I dont see Wilson doing the Hudini act against the Jags d line when he comes to Jax.

(11-15-2017, 03:37 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 03:36 PM)Billsfan1212 Wrote: WE?  ya got a mouse in your pocket? questions are posed to me or I'm made mention of (I know this because they say BILLSFAN) ssssoooo...... yeah.....

Ignorant... you sure you aren't #madbro?

class like the rest of the message board population? HAHAHAHAHA you really are new here.

I answered the question posed in the very first sentence... not sure why you're getting all butt hurt because I didn't want to take the time to read your long well thought out repetitive post, so I was just letting you know... it was too long, so I stopped reading it.
But still answered you question you asked

Just way too long. Who has the attention span to read a novel on the same crap?
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

He didnt fit in. Do i wish he did? sure. I'm not the coach or responsible for the atmosphere or culture they are trying to build. When he was traded, it seemed to be a bit of a relief of players. a few had cryptic parting shots. There are a few different things here... do the powers that be at One Bills Drive miss him? No. They arent dumb, they know what they had and what he was capable of. Do the fans? sure, to a degree bc now they need something to blame JUST like the blamed SAMMY being traded before the year. The Tampa game he played 41 snaps, while having a combined 45 total in the previous 2. Enough to game plan for yes, but not a difference maker. They made a decision and decided he didnt fit the culture and may have even been the poster child for the anti culture. Right? Wrong? I dont know - its not my culture and I dont decide what fits and what doesn't.  The fact is, the Jags have had a GOOD D all year. The Bills have had an OPPORTUNISTIC D until 2 games ago. Along with that came momentum and points. Granted, way more FGs then anything - but points none the less. As I said yesterday, what can the D do when the O goes 3 and out and keeps laying dud after dud. This D as it stands now if full of placeholders save a few key positions. Before the season Buffalo was perceived as tanking , while the Jags had a known commodity in their D. Now, majority of fans want the tank back on and they still have a winning record! (at least for one more week). Bottom line is this D greatly overachieved for a period of time, close to half a season. When you are getting so many turnovers things are smoke and mirrors to a degree. So, Im not sure what it is you guys want me to say? everything I say someone wants to challenge it - I mean, I could type Marcel Dareus is gos gift to football and the Bills made a horrible decision and got fleeced by a much superior Jags team.
Instead of trying to discuss and give insight as to the how/why - it seems no one will be happy until the above statement is written. Now, obviously i dont believe that bc as I've said there is a whole lot that goes into it and its not just as simple as everyone is happy until oct 27th when the Jags called the Bills out of the blue and offered a 6th (cond 5th) rd pick to the Bills for their All Pro DT and the Bills were looking to get worse in the run so it made sense for them..... I dunno guys... I think what isnt being taken into account here is if the Bills didnt have a decent start in a terrible AFC we arent even having this conversation bc it doesnt matter. This wasnt supposed to be a good, or really even decent year for the Bills. ANYTHING that comes from it is a bonus. The amount of roster holes that were just'filled' was crazy and there will be a similar situation next year. They are still in the tear down portion of a rebuild - which to a degree is why that trade could even happen in the 1st place. Maybe they win 9-maybe they dont win another game. House $$ at this point and any Bills fan who tells you other wise is akoolaid drinker desperate for anything. There seriously are all ready fans calling for McDermotts head. Dude hasnt even been here for his own draft yet. Buffalo is football crazy.... but the drought has lead to their fans sometimes being crazy as well

Well here's my opinion.  I admit I don't know a whole lot about what was going on in Buffalo, but it seems to me that the Bills hired a new head coach and a new GM, and then after 6 games they declared a pro bowl caliber defensive tackle a lost cause and threw him away for peanuts.   

In my opinion, that's pure failure.  It's their job to maximize the resources they have been given, so for them to say, "well, he doesn't fit our culture," is a massive display of hubris at the very least, and in reality, a massive failure. 

What the hell is their job, anyway?  To throw away pro bowl caliber defensive tackles?  Personally, if I was the owner, and if, after 6 games, my new GM and new head coach told me they wanted to dispose of talent like that for peanuts, I would think, I hired the wrong people.

(11-15-2017, 04:06 PM)I The Real Marty Wrote:
He didnt fit in. Do i wish he did? sure. I'm not the coach or responsible for the atmosphere or culture they are trying to build. When he was traded, it seemed to be a bit of a relief of players. a few had cryptic parting shots. There are a few different things here... do the powers that be at One Bills Drive miss him? No. They arent dumb, they know what they had and what he was capable of. Do the fans? sure, to a degree bc now they need something to blame JUST like the blamed SAMMY being traded before the year. The Tampa game he played 41 snaps, while having a combined 45 total in the previous 2. Enough to game plan for yes, but not a difference maker. They made a decision and decided he didnt fit the culture and may have even been the poster child for the anti culture. Right? Wrong? I dont know - its not my culture and I dont decide what fits and what doesn't.  The fact is, the Jags have had a GOOD D all year. The Bills have had an OPPORTUNISTIC D until 2 games ago. Along with that came momentum and points. Granted, way more FGs then anything - but points none the less. As I said yesterday, what can the D do when the O goes 3 and out and keeps laying dud after dud. This D as it stands now if full of placeholders save a few key positions. Before the season Buffalo was perceived as tanking , while the Jags had a known commodity in their D. Now, majority of fans want the tank back on and they still have a winning record! (at least for one more week). Bottom line is this D greatly overachieved for a period of time, close to half a season. When you are getting so many turnovers things are smoke and mirrors to a degree. So, Im not sure what it is you guys want me to say? everything I say someone wants to challenge it - I mean, I could type Marcel Dareus is gos gift to football and the Bills made a horrible decision and got fleeced by a much superior Jags team.

Well here's my opinion.  I admit I don't know a whole lot about what was going on in Buffalo, but it seems to me that the Bills hired a new head coach and a new GM, and then after 6 games they declared a pro bowl caliber defensive tackle a lost cause and threw him away for peanuts.   

In my opinion, that's pure failure.  It's their job to maximize the resources they have been given, so for them to say, "well, he doesn't fit our culture," is a massive display of hubris at the very least, and in reality, a massive failure. 

What the hell is their job, anyway?  To throw away pro bowl caliber defensive tackles?  Personally, if I was the owner, and if, after 6 games, my new GM and new head coach told me they wanted to dispose of talent like that for peanuts, I would think, I hired the wrong people.
This is my thinking. If I was a fan of them I would be worried. It reminds me of the time Gene Smith said he drafted a punter in the third round because the team was full of starters and there was no other position on the team that would see the field more than the punter. He also said that after the third round the days you draft are special teams players and back ups so there no need to really place an emphasis on this guys. So you end up with Prosinski and Larry Hart. 

I was an In Gene we trust guy but that was when I realized he had no clue what he was doing. That’s is what I see in Buffalo. Trading away all your talent to get pick, to trade picks for a player in a contract year doesn’t make sense. Trying to be the smartest guy in the room never works out and that appears to be what’s happening to me from someone looking from afar.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017, 04:31 PM by The Real Marty.)

(11-15-2017, 04:22 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(11-15-2017, 04:06 PM)I The Real Marty Wrote: Well here's my opinion.  I admit I don't know a whole lot about what was going on in Buffalo, but it seems to me that the Bills hired a new head coach and a new GM, and then after 6 games they declared a pro bowl caliber defensive tackle a lost cause and threw him away for peanuts.   

This is my thinking. If I was a fan of them I would be worried. It reminds me of the time Gene Smith said he drafted a punter in the third round because the team was full of starters and there was no other position on the team that would see the field more than the punter. He also said that after the third round the days you draft are special teams players and back ups so there no need to really place an emphasis on this guys. So you end up with Prosinski and Larry Hart. 

I was an In Gene we trust guy but that was when I realized he had no clue what he was doing. That’s is what I see in Buffalo. Trading away all your talent to get pick, to trade picks for a player in a contract year doesn’t make sense. Trying to be the smartest guy in the room never works out and that appears to be what’s happening to me from someone looking from afar.

I agree with all that. 

I guess what I'm really saying is, a head coach is supposed to be a leader of men.  For him to say, after just 6 games, "I cannot lead Marcel Dareus, and I want to get rid of him," I would think, who the hell is this guy we hired, who's supposed to be a leader, who now says this 27 year old former pro bowl defensive tackle needs to go because he doesn't fit our culture?  What the hell is the nature of such a culture that can't find a spot for a pro bowl caliber defensive tackle?

If I was the owner, I would say, "What the hell are you talking about?  I gave you these assets and now you want to throw them away for nothing?  Why did I hire you, anyway?"