Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Good segment from Chris Simms on the Dan Patrick Show this morning

I believe we sign Bortles to a 3 to 4 year Cap friendly deal and draft a QB if available.

He is way higher than 70.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-09-2018, 10:32 PM)old_man Wrote: I believe we sign Bortles to a 3 to 4 year Cap friendly deal and draft a QB if available.

Not happening.  If he’s here next year it will be on the 5th year option, even if we win the Super Bowl this year.   

We will be bringing in serious competition at QB thru the draft and/or free agency, however.

You guys realize this coaching staff loves Blake right? He's done everything that's been asked of him and we just won our first playoff game in 10 years with him. He'll be here next year.

Honestly, I almost consider Blake's first 3 years as redshirt years. Gus hampered the development of players so much. I look at this season as essentially his rookie year with this staff.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 11:02 PM by old_man.)

(01-09-2018, 10:42 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 10:32 PM)old_man Wrote: I believe we sign Bortles to a 3 to 4 year Cap friendly deal and draft a QB if available.

Not happening.  If he’s here next year it will be on the 5th year option, even if we win the Super Bowl this year.   

We will be bringing in serious competition at QB thru the draft and/or free agency, however.

The current staff has mentioned that they consider him in his first year.

He was damn near ruined by Gus Bradley and the mess he created.

If we draft a QB they will sit him a year or two (If Bortles grows enough next year),  If the drafted QB beats out Bortles,  Bortles will be the backup in year 2 and 3 of his contract.

(01-09-2018, 10:58 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: You guys realize this coaching staff loves Blake right? He's done everything that's been asked of him and we just won our first playoff game in 10 years with him. He'll be here next year.

Honestly, I almost consider Blake's first 3 years as redshirt years. Gus hampered the development of players so much. I look at this season as essentially his rookie year with this staff.

I totally agree.

He has grown leaps and bounds this year.

Gus sucked!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 11:21 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(01-09-2018, 10:59 PM)old_man Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 10:42 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Not happening.  If he’s here next year it will be on the 5th year option, even if we win the Super Bowl this year.   

The current staff has mentioned that they consider him in his first year.

If we draft a QB they will sit him a year or two (If Bortles grows enough next year),  If the drafted QB beats out Bortles,  Bortles will be the backup in year 2 and 3 of his contract.

The thing is you don't give a contract to a guy who you already control rights to, especially one as inconsistent as Blake is.  The 5th year option is a valuable tool used by teams to evaluate 1st round draft picks an extra year.  Teams don't piss that right away.  If he's here next year, it will be under that option.  If he's somehow offered a contract this offseason, we have the most amateur hour front office in professional sports.

Any 3 or 4 year contract would have more in guarantees than the $19 million 5th year option, so why would the team offer it to him early?  If any 3 or 4 year deal had less than $19 million in guarantees, why would Blake sign it?  He wouldn't.  He'd tell them to pick up his option or let him go to the open market and negotiate with potentially 31 other teams for his services instead of being able to negotiate with only 1.

You can be a fan of Blake's and still understand that it makes 0 sense for the team to offer him a contract now or before the end of next season.  It makes 0 sense for Blake to accept anything less than the 5th year option salary as well, if they were offering anything which they won't yet.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 11:38 PM by old_man.)

(01-09-2018, 11:20 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 10:59 PM)old_man Wrote: The current staff has mentioned that they consider him in his first year.

The thing is you don't give a contract to a guy who you already control rights to, especially one as inconsistent as Blake is.  The 5th year option is a valuable tool used by teams to evaluate 1st round draft picks an extra year.  Teams don't piss that right away.  If he's here next year, it will be under that option.  If he's somehow offered a contract this offseason, we have the most amateur hour front office in professional sports.

Any 3 or 4 year contract would have more in guarantees than the $19 million 5th year option, so why would the team offer it to him early?  If any 3 or 4 year deal had less than $19 million in guarantees, why would Blake sign it?  He wouldn't.  He'd tell them to pick up his option or let him go to the open market and negotiate with potentially 31 other teams for his services instead of being able to negotiate with only 1.

You can be a fan of Blake's and still understand that it makes 0 sense for the team to offer him a contract now or before the end of next season.  It makes 0 sense for Blake to accept anything less than the 5th year option salary as well, if they were offering anything which they won't yet.

"He'd tell them to pick up his option or let him go to the open market and negotiate with potentially 31 other teams for his services instead of being able to negotiate with only 1."

Blake will not have this option,  not many teams will pick him up.

They like Blake and he is a capable backup, if he does not make the cut.

Blake's play will dictate what deal is offered next year,  if he is horrible this week I agree.  If he is serviceable they will get a 3 year deal together before next season.

But you may be right.  Blake's attitude and team first will go a long way with this staff, you can not disagree with that.

They could easily do a 25 million guaranteed 3 year deal and not be hurt in my scenario,  Blake is in a position where he would take it.

As a backup, that 6 million isn't a big deal over all.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 11:59 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(01-09-2018, 11:34 PM)old_man Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 11:20 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The thing is you don't give a contract to a guy who you already control rights to, especially one as inconsistent as Blake is.  The 5th year option is a valuable tool used by teams to evaluate 1st round draft picks an extra year.  Teams don't piss that right away.  If he's here next year, it will be under that option.  If he's somehow offered a contract this offseason, we have the most amateur hour front office in professional sports.

"He'd tell them to pick up his option or let him go to the open market and negotiate with potentially 31 other teams for his services instead of being able to negotiate with only 1."

Blake will not have this option,  not many teams will pick him up.

They like Blake and he is a capable backup, if he does not make the cut.

Blake's play will dictate what deal is offered next year,  if he is horrible this week I agree.  If he is serviceable they will get a 3 year deal together before next season.

But you may be right.  Blake's attitude and team first will go a long way with this staff, you can not disagree with that.

They could easily do a 25 million guaranteed 3 year deal and not be hurt in my scenario,  Blake is in a position where he would take it.

Your not looking at it from Blake's point of view though.  Players like to test the market, especially if they feel they're getting lowballed by the only team they can currently deal with.  Why would he sign a 3 year deal at $25 million, especially if he believes he's a franchise QB?  Wouldn't he rather play under a 1 year deal, here or elsewhere, to try to prove he deserves the mega deal he surely thinks he could earn?

If he does accept it without going to free agency, what does that tell you about him?  It tells you he doesn't believe in himself.  And do you want that guy leading your offense?  3 years $25 million is a good back up QB deal nowadays.  The only way he takes that kind of deal is if he's tested free agency and that's all that's being offered.  He wouldn't take that deal if the Jags held him hostage and offered it versus the 5th year option because the 5th year option (or a 1 year deal somewhere else) would allow him another bite at the apple the following year.

Back on topic, the Le Batard clip was pretty funny. As inconsistent as Blake has been, at worst he'd be one of the better back ups in the league so to say he's 70th best is ridiculous and clearly hyperbole.

I agree, 4 year 70 million and draft a QB in round 1 or 2. Coughlin does have final say, we should end up drafting a QB or picking one up in FA. We already know Caldwell has no interest in anyone else at QB other than his pick, Blake Bortles.

(01-09-2018, 11:34 PM)old_man Wrote: They could easily do a 25 million guaranteed 3 year deal and not be hurt in my scenario,  Blake is in a position where he would take it.

C'mon man, Blake is below average but Mike friggin Glennon signed a 3 year 45 million deal. Blake would get at least something along those lines plus inflation, if not more.

(01-10-2018, 12:31 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:

I agree, 4 year 70 million and draft a QB in round 1 or 2. Coughlin does have final say, we should end up drafting a QB or picking one up in FA. We already know Caldwell has no interest in anyone else at QB other than his pick, Blake Bortles.

The bolded here might be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

We have absolutely zero clue if Caldwell is interested in other QBs, or not.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 01:09 AM by Dakota.)

JagsFanSince95

Quote: We already know Caldwell has no interest in anyone else at QB other than his pick, Blake Bortles.

If that were true, Caldwell won't be around very long. It will either cost him his job, or Khan will simply choke the life out of him.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(01-10-2018, 12:33 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 11:34 PM)old_man Wrote: They could easily do a 25 million guaranteed 3 year deal and not be hurt in my scenario,  Blake is in a position where he would take it.

C'mon man, Blake is below average but Mike friggin Glennon signed a 3 year 45 million deal. Blake would get at least something along those lines plus inflation, if not more.

I didn't provide the total dollars for the deal,  just the guaranteed portion.  What ever the total dollar deal is, 3 year 45 million contract with 25 Million guaranteed

anyway we will see.

(01-10-2018, 01:10 AM)old_man Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 12:33 AM)Upper Wrote: C'mon man, Blake is below average but Mike friggin Glennon signed a 3 year 45 million deal. Blake would get at least something along those lines plus inflation, if not more.

I didn't provide the total dollars for the deal,  just the guaranteed portion.  What ever the total dollar deal is, 3 year 45 million contract with 25 Million guaranteed

anyway we will see.

I don't see any reason to give Bortles a contract right now, unless he has 3 straight incredible games and wins this team a Superbowl.

Let him play on his 5th year option (so he can continue to show if he's the guy, or not) and draft a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds. Maybe some top QB falls to us in the late 1st round, but don't hold your breath.

bring in mike shula as a QB coach to work with bb5 and i think he would jump leaps and bounds again next year

(01-10-2018, 02:22 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: bring in mike shula as a QB coach to work with bb5 and i think he would jump leaps and bounds again next year

So much this.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 09:14 AM by RicoTx.)

At this point I have no idea what they're going to do.  There's no denying that Bortles has not been very good the last couple of games.  I think a lot might hinge on what happens Sunday.  They 're going to address QB in some way, shape, or form next year I'm sure.  We'll see to what extent.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I think they intend to pay the option and bring in competition via the draft and/or free agency.

I think the only way that doesn't happen is if they run run into cap space issues retaining other talent - and I doubt that happens unless they spend really big on a FA QB.

(01-10-2018, 10:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think they intend to pay the option and bring in competition via the draft and/or free agency.

I think the only way that doesn't happen is if they run run into cap space issues retaining other talent - and I doubt that happens unless they spend really big on a FA QB.

I mean, that sounds logical and all, but who thought that we'd be going into the pre-season this year with only Bortles and Henne?

Hence my 'I have no idea' comment.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-10-2018, 10:15 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 10:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think they intend to pay the option and bring in competition via the draft and/or free agency.

I mean, that sounds logical and all, but who thought that we'd be going into the pre-season this year with only Bortles and Henne?

Hence my 'I have no idea' comment.

Yeah, but I think this season was Blake's "one more chance" opportunity and the consistency just hasn't been there. 

While I'm not one that believes Coughlin to be some Czar-like figure constantly meddling in Caldwell's affairs - I do think that he's had enough time to ruminate over the Bortles situation and influence change in some way.
 I also happen to think that Caldwell has probably arrived at a similar conclusion on his own. When they put their heads together - it's hard for me to think they don't at least set out to draft a mid round pick or sign a mid-tier FA for competition. 

But like you said - predicting the moves of this F.O. is a crapshoot.

I’m not quite sure I’m seeing that, especially if there are viable alternatives in free agency.  I do think they’ll draft a QB regardless, but I just don’t see Blake getting a 3 or 4 year extension based on his inconsistency.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]