Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Serious ?. Does Gus deserve any credit for helping to get this team to this point?

(12-28-2017, 11:04 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Not only does he not get credit. He gets blame for them not being here sooner. I liked Bradley but he was a horribad head coach.

This x1000.

If anything, he deserves more blame
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-28-2017, 11:20 AM)Kane Wrote: I'll say this.
He deserves the credit for being the sacrificial lamb for Caldwell's trial run.

Now I'm not defending Gus, his coaching ability, or anything like that.
But he was handed a roster stripped of every last ounce of talent, gutted. Given Blaine Gabbert/Chad Henne/and Blake's first 3 seasons at QB. Caldwell missed a lot more than he hit in FA early on (partially because the real good FAs weren't coming to sadsonville)
But we saw the talent this team had last year, Gus should have been able to do something with it, and after a few seasons we saw his in game managing was no bueno.

But dude fell on a sword for this franchise. He kept guys believing until that final year. He was the perfect coach for the insanely difficult rebuild Caldwell decided to pursue.

I gotta give him credit for that.

But as for the team? Nah... if anything, like mentioned above by someone, he probably held back guys by not pushing hard enough. And switching coordinators so often screams "I'm passing the buck (blame) to someone else" while also saying "I don't know how to assemble a good staff"

This is where i am. The guy got handed literally nothing in terms of a team or quality players but he was given plenty of time and we did get a bit better but there was plenty of room to improve. 

My main argument against Gus, was as a defensive 'genius', he didn't even try to build a strong D straight away. O, D and ST never really looked a complete unit in his time.

And he deserves as much credit for this season as Fisher does with the Rams. None.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017, 12:07 PM by RicoTx.)

I think he was the right coach when it was a bunch of young guys after they tore down the roster.

They held onto him too long though.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Nope.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(12-28-2017, 12:05 PM)Rico Wrote: I think he was the right coach when it was a bunch of young guys after they tore down the roster.

I contend he was the absolutely worst guy to have with a bunch of young guys.  Hey don't worry about winning and we will improve and win later.  Ah no, no, no.  Contrast that with all that matters is winning. Jeez lets not get all nostalgic for a guy that couldn't sniff a .500 record let alone a winning record.  Would he have posted a winning record this year? No way we would be like 6-9 going to play the final game of the season talking about the draft for over a month now.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-28-2017, 12:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 12:05 PM)Rico Wrote: I think he was the right coach when it was a bunch of young guys after they tore down the roster.

I contend he was the absolutely worst guy to have with a bunch of young guys.  Hey don't worry about winning and we will improve and win later.  Ah no, no, no.  Contrast that with all that matters is winning. Jeez lets not get all nostalgic for a guy that couldn't sniff a .500 record let alone a winning record.  Would he have posted a winning record this year? No way we would be like 6-9 going to play the final game of the season talking about the draft for over a month now.

You're entitled to your opinion.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-28-2017, 12:17 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 12:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I contend he was the absolutely worst guy to have with a bunch of young guys.  Hey don't worry about winning and we will improve and win later.  Ah no, no, no.  Contrast that with all that matters is winning. Jeez lets not get all nostalgic for a guy that couldn't sniff a .500 record let alone a winning record.  Would he have posted a winning record this year? No way we would be like 6-9 going to play the final game of the season talking about the draft for over a month now.

You're entitled to your opinion.
I don’t even think it’s an opinion. He is historically the most losing HC of all time. How could that be good for a young team? Losing 11+ games every year?

Full disclosure I was excited by him being hired. I had mix feelings about the full roster dump but figured it was okay to try something different with a full rebuild. But we learned in year 3 why no one attempts full rebuilds and that is because you get stuck with being unable to evaluate the head coaching performance. For myself, I just wanted to see signs of life and improvement. It was fine to not look at the record year 1 but really year 2 was a disaster and it cemented in place why you don't fully gut your roster.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I really wasn't asking if he was a good head coach, he was awful. worst head coach i have ever seen. Was more asking if he should get some credit for jhelping to build this team from a complete wipe to what it is today. Todd Wash is a disciple of Gus runs his own version of Gus defense. Just i dont think Maronne changed this team over night. I mean marone may be a good head coach but he was the oline coach for 3 years and the worst part of this team was the oline for the last 3 years. I was simply asking if Gus should get a small bit of credit for building a foundation with which TC and marone could build on.

Topic creator is Jeff Fisher.

Yes, when he left Seattle, Seattle won a Super Bowl. When he got fired by the Jaguars, Jags win the Super Bowl?

I didn't see any growth from the players under Gus's coaching.

Hasn't his biggest attribute, his positive outlook, been criticized by the players after his departure? I'm not sure how we can give him credit for anything.

(12-28-2017, 12:54 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I really wasn't asking if he was a good head coach, he was awful. worst head coach i have ever seen.  Was more asking if he should get some credit for jhelping to build this team from a complete wipe to what it is today. Todd Wash is a disciple of Gus runs his own version of Gus defense. Just i dont think Maronne changed this team over night. I mean marone may be a good head coach but he was the oline coach for 3 years and the worst part of this team was the oline for the last 3 years. I was simply asking if Gus should get a small bit of credit for building a foundation with which TC and marone could build on.
What foundation? A foundation of losing?

Gus. Did. Nothing. But. Lose.

He deserves nothing for this turnaround. Marrone, Coughlin and Caldwell deserve the praise. It’s clear Caldwell did a good job of assembling talent but Gus did absolutely nothing with it.

No

(12-28-2017, 12:35 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 12:17 PM)Rico Wrote: You're entitled to your opinion.
I don’t even think it’s an opinion. He is historically the most losing HC of all time. How could that be good for a young team? Losing 11+ games every year?

It was less about the final results and more about being the rah rah guy that a lot of young guys probably deal with better than hard nosed guys like TC and Dougie.

And other than that... we could have wasted a good coach on some years that quite possibly weren't going to be better than 3-5 wins anyway.
Outside of last season, I fail to see how Bradley could have improved the W/L of the team when they were still pretty devoid of talent. His first 2 seasons his entire roster was rookies, first and second year players, with a few marginal veterans. Not sure the best coaches could have done much with that.
However, with last season we needed to see results and they didn't come.

Not sure why you're arguing about it though. No one is saying he was a good coach.

Marrone turned this team around in 4 days last season.

Bradley held them back for 2 years before that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This is for real? Ha.

Can we add this to the Duval Pride HOF? And have a pinned thread with all the entries gathered into one place for posterity?

(12-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 12:35 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don’t even think it’s an opinion. He is historically the most losing HC of all time. How could that be good for a young team? Losing 11+ games every year?

It was less about the final results and more about being the rah rah guy that a lot of young guys probably deal with better than hard nosed guys like TC and Dougie.

And other than that... we could have wasted a good coach on some years that quite possibly weren't going to be better than 3-5 wins anyway.
Outside of last season, I fail to see how Bradley could have improved the W/L of the team when they were still pretty devoid of talent. His first 2 seasons his entire roster was rookies, first and second year players, with a few marginal veterans. Not sure the best coaches could have done much with that.
However, with last season we needed to see results and they didn't come.

Not sure why you're arguing about it though. No one is saying he was a good coach.
So do you believe he deserves partial credit for how the team is playing this year? Because that’s the point of the thread. 

He doesn’t deserve anything. He did nothing to help this team. Not one thing.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017, 02:59 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-28-2017, 11:02 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I know everyone hates Gus and it is deserved. He was a terrible head coach. but a few free agents and a new head coach did not make this team into the team it is today in one season. We saw sighns of a dominate defense keeping us in games we should have been blown out in. and we saw an offence put up 50 against a good clots team at the time. If Gus was still the head coach we would not be where we are today. Marrone and TC brought a winning attitude and Grit. But Does Gus deserve some credit for helping to build this team to what it is. I mean we have the same DC and OC and mostly all the same coaches. Could Gus have been a good Teacher or Coordinater and a Terrible Head Coach?

Ok FLame Away !

I won't flame you for this suggestion. But I will disagree. You actually have my answer in your own question. You said "He was a terrible head coach". And that sums it up my man. You can have the most expensive and greatest ingredients staring at you on a marble counter top in a kitchen made of gold but if you can't cook, you can't cook. 

Same rule applies with coaching or anything really. He knows enough to focus on one side of the football. But actually managing a game plan from top down. Or keeping an entire roster focused and prepared to execute his vision or game plan? He couldn't do it. Obviously he couldn't do it. He had a hard time keeping an offensive coordinator here as well. And if you're going all in with a rookie passer in Bortles you cannot [BLEEP] that up. It'll set you back and you will pay for it. 

Marrone deserves more credit than anybody. As well as Hackett. And so does Wash. Coughlin too. They added three key players on defense that all have leadership qualities in Bouye, Church and Campbell. You had leaders already in Ramsey and Smith. Poszlusny has also been a leader. They added around a solid core of guys that just needed more focus and discipline. But offensively, especially along the trenches. THAT's where I have been the most impressed as a fan this year. The difference in pass protection, run blocking, the lanes opening up and the fact that Bortles looks more confident when he does have to throw it has been the most impressive aspects of this year. 

The only thing that's killed us this year is the decimation we've received at the receiving position. Going into this year I felt it was the strongest group on the team from WR1 - WR6. But then everybody started dropping like flies. Westbrook and Cole should be getting more praise. Bortles should be getting more praise. He's flourished in a tough situation with a clear cut cloud of uncertainty hovering above his head. He responded to the challenge. The team has won four or five games without Fournette. Outside of the Chargers and 49ERS game. Bortles hasn't really looked that bad this year. And to be honest he didn't really look God awful in those games like he had consistently looked on a weekly basis in year's past. 

Bradley shouldn't get an ounce of credit for this team's current success. Not a single grain of salt. This is ALL on attitude and approach. And that ALL falls on Marrone's and Coughlin's shoulders as it's been carried throughout the rest of that front office.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

He wasn't a "sacrificial lamb" either. Not even under Caldwell. Bradley came into this city with him. They were supposed to make it work out. And he couldn't get it done. The only sacrificial lambs around here are the fans and season ticket holders. Who had to put up with this [BLEEP] for four years. One of the worst efforts ever seen in the modern era of the NFL's existence.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."