Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles job is on the line next Sunday

(01-01-2018, 02:32 PM)jagherd Wrote: I think Bortles will have a good game against the Bills. I like the matchup. I don't think the Bills' D line will manhandle the Jags front, giving Blake clean pockets and time (I think and hope anyway).

IIRC, Bortles wasn't even freaking touched by a defender for almost the entire Seattle game (same with the Cincy, Colts matchups where he was barely touched).

He was very good in those games, especially on a 3rd down. I think we'll see a 4epeat of those good performances.
He'll look really good (efficient, at least) against Buffalo as the Jags practically dominate their way to a WC victory.

I am inclined to agree.  I do hope he stays away from Tre White though. Before the Jags signed Bouye - I was really hoping they'd find a way to draft him to play opposite Ramsey.  He's been as good as I thought he'd be for sure.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-01-2018, 01:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: But - I kind-of think that the powers that be already have some sort of contingency in the works for the QB position.  It might be about trading up to draft a guy, it might be about spending big in free agency, it might be about just bringing in competition without spending big or trading up.  No matter what it is, I don't think there's any way that they just stand pat and roll with Bortles as their chief and only real viable option next year. His inconsistency simply won't allow them to do that.

Lock all the threads, this is all there is to it...the perfect summary.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(01-01-2018, 01:58 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I may be in a small minority of thinking this but I think Bortles goes off this weekend.  I think he thrives under the pressure and ultra competitive nature of the playoffs and we see Blake at his best.

I agree with you about Blake. He may not "go off," but he will do enough and look more like the Blake of early December. Having Robinson and Lee back will also help him significantly. I look for Fournette to go over 100 yards which will also open up the passing game and the Jags will win convincingly.

Will next week's game determine Blake's fate? If he totally implodes, this may be the case. However, if he has a mediocre game and the team loses, I really don't think he will be gone. Even his harshest critics (I was in this club last season and early on this season) would have to admit he has improved significantly in his 2nd full season with the same coordinator. Why start all over with a rookie, who would be probably the 4th or 5th quarterback taken in the draft? As far as free agents, do we want a guy who threw 3 interceptions against the lowly Giants in his final audition for free agency? Who else is available? How about trading for Brett Hundley who has looked terrible in relief of Rodgers or Teddy Bridgewater, who will play 3 games before getting injured? Now, if we could get Derek Carr, who after last year was proclaimed the guy who would take the Raiders to the Super Bowl. Oops, he just helped get his coach fired so he's not the guy. Great quarterbacks don't grow on trees, so I think the Jags will stick with Blake who was good enough to help get them to the playoffs with back-up receivers.

Whatever we do at QB next year, I still think we could strengthen our offensive line. I'd to have a road paver-type guard, a Vince Manuwai type of guy, who could blast open holes for Fournette. Getting the running game on track has helped Blake, and improving it will bring even better passing results.

I think TE and RG are the biggest needs. Bortles would benefit greatly from a reliable TE
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I'm on the fence about Bortles. He makes easy things look hard and seems to be like a Deer in headlights before the snap. Any average QB checks out of 8 and 9 man boxes to a passing play. It just seems we line up, the box is stacked, run up the middle for 2 yards. It's either Bortles does not have the football IQ to make a defense pay for stacking the box or the coaches don't trust him. He has not finished off this season on a positive note so far to really say that he is the guy.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

My guess is that TC has already made up his mind about BB5, and it would likely take a Lombardi trophy to change his mind.

I think we have seen the best of what BB has to offer, and to be honest, with the way rookie QB's are showing out these days, you wouldn't lose any production (or lack thereof) by starting a rookie QB or veteran QB. Maintaining a winning team is about learning when to cut your losses. I think TC gets it.

(01-01-2018, 04:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I'm on the fence about Bortles.  He makes easy things look hard and seems to be like a Deer in headlights before the snap.  Any average QB checks out of 8 and 9 man boxes to a passing play.  It just seems we line up, the box is stacked, run up the middle for 2 yards.  It's either Bortles does not have the football IQ to make a defense pay for stacking the box or the coaches don't trust him.  He has not finished off this season on a positive note so far to really say that he is the guy.

He was doing all those things, and doing them exceedingly well before these two games. Again, I think this was more on vanilla game planning and a team just ready to get done and on to the playoffs.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-01-2018, 04:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 04:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I'm on the fence about Bortles.  He makes easy things look hard and seems to be like a Deer in headlights before the snap.  Any average QB checks out of 8 and 9 man boxes to a passing play.  It just seems we line up, the box is stacked, run up the middle for 2 yards.  It's either Bortles does not have the football IQ to make a defense pay for stacking the box or the coaches don't trust him.  He has not finished off this season on a positive note so far to really say that he is the guy.

He was doing all those things, and doing them exceedingly well before these two games. Again, I think this was more on vanilla game planning and a team just ready to get done and on to the playoffs.

I bet if we plugged the woman in your signature in at RG, our run game would improve exponentially.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2018, 04:15 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(01-01-2018, 04:05 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: My guess is that TC has already made up his mind about BB5, and it would likely take a Lombardi trophy to change his mind.

I think we have seen the best of what BB has to offer, and to be honest, with the way rookie QB's are showing out these days, you wouldn't lose any production (or lack thereof) by starting a rookie QB or veteran QB. Maintaining a winning team is about learning when to cut your losses. I think TC gets it.

You can say that, but TC put up with some god awful regular season play from Eli before they're first SB. Even that 2007 year he threw 20 INTs on the season. Let's not act like Eli is good either. He's literally Blake, or worse, in the regular season. 

We aren't winning the SB with a rookie, we just aren't. It's never been done, and it's not going to be done. I'm all about Mayfield and letting he and Blake battle it out and having the future on the roster if it's not Blake. If this is truly "win now" mode, you stick with Blake hoping for more improvement or you buy Cousins.

(01-01-2018, 04:08 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 04:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: He was doing all those things, and doing them exceedingly well before these two games. Again, I think this was more on vanilla game planning and a team just ready to get done and on to the playoffs.

I bet if we plugged the woman in your signature in at RG, our run game would improve exponentially.

Might be better as a space eating DT next to Dareus
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

If Westbrook catches the ball. We beat Titans

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2018, 04:40 PM by temporaryname.)

Give BB5 a clean pocket and he flourishes...With better protection up-front and a little help from his rookie receivers, we win yesterday's game.
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

SF was a couple bad throws. TEN was a bad game with a near collapse after the pick. Two weeks ago it looked like he was the future. Two weeks from now we could be talking about drafting a different q.b.

(01-01-2018, 03:49 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Whatever we do at QB next year, I still think we could strengthen our offensive line. I'd to have a road paver-type guard, a Vince Manuwai type of guy, who could blast open holes for Fournette.  Getting the running game on track has helped Blake, and improving it will bring even better passing results.
The guy you want is Will Hernandez from UTEP. He is probably the number 2 guard after Quinton Nelson from Notre Dame who will likely be gone by the time the Jags pick. Ideally, the Jags trade their 1st rounder to get a few extra picks and then take Hernandez in the first half of round 2 and get additional picks to move up for a tight end also in round 2.

(01-01-2018, 04:52 PM)jj82284 Wrote: SF was a couple bad throws.  TEN was a bad game with a near collapse after the pick.  Two weeks ago it looked like he was the future.  Two weeks from now we could be talking about drafting a different q.b.

That is the thing with Bortles Mr Inconsistent.  He is still very young but will he ever ben consistent?  Patience may pay off then again it may not.

His job was always on the line to begin with. And really have not had such a great QB for Jaguars since Mark Brunell. But at least BB got the team to the playoffs.
Summertime Is Coming!

(01-01-2018, 06:53 PM)Passepartout Wrote: His job was always on the line to begin with. And really have not had such a great QB for Jaguars since Mark Brunell. But at least BB got the team to the playoffs.

I will give Bortles credit and he was responsible for a couple of wins this year.  The Defense and running game were the main contributors to this playoff push.  Bortles was also responsible for some losses.  Again 50/50

the only way he is the starter next year is if we win the Super Bowl because of him. If not, he's gone.....and we need to draft Baker friggin Mayfield

(01-01-2018, 04:08 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 04:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: He was doing all those things, and doing them exceedingly well before these two games. Again, I think this was more on vanilla game planning and a team just ready to get done and on to the playoffs.

Oh goodness.

This has the potential to turn into message board gold.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-01-2018, 07:42 PM)rocdee Wrote: the only way he is the starter next year is if we win the Super Bowl because of him. If not, he's gone.....and we need to draft Baker friggin Mayfield

This guy is the 2nd coming of Johnny Manziel. No thanks.