Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Conversation I had with someone who claims he knows Blake Bortles

Marrone has showed his penchant for sandbagging in several games this year. Especially pre season. He is ***The Official King of Sandbagging***.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Two problems with this...
ONE: If you aren't trying to win, and you aren't trying to get better at running the whole playbook, why risk injuries to your starters?
TWO: Running only 25% of the playbook doesn't give the team a pass for running wrong routes, delivering inaccurate passes, and committing dumb penalties.

The news, if true, doesn't make me feel better about the offense. But its prob not true.

May I ask, what exactly is the benefit of "only opening 25% of the playbook" in a week 17 game? Tape on weeks 1-16 still exists.

I find it hard to believe they weren't trying to win against a division rival who smashed them earlier in the season. I don't think any team wants to get swept by a division rival. And I don't think it's wise to let a division rival walk into the playoffs. We were extremely close to getting matched up again this weekend. How bad would it have looked if the Jags, supposedly, "let" us into the playoffs and then we sent you packing in the opening round?

It is clear the genius sandbagging has been highly effective. There are many here convinced the Jags offense has in reality regressed from three games ago. They have worked the sandbag to perfection.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Masters of sand bagging. Remember the preseason and the 5 pick scrimmage game?

I’m lovin it

(01-03-2018, 01:49 PM)SDM Wrote: May I ask, what exactly is the benefit of "only opening 25% of the playbook" in a week 17 game?  Tape on weeks 1-16 still exists.

I find it hard to believe they weren't trying to win against a division rival who smashed them earlier in the season.  I don't think any team wants to get swept by a division rival.  And I don't think it's wise to let a division rival walk into the playoffs.  We were extremely close to getting matched up again this weekend.  How bad would it have looked if the Jags, supposedly, "let" us into the playoffs and then we sent you packing in the opening round?

Offensive coordinators have a number of plays they can run out of a particular look or formation. 
The better coordinators add wrinkles to many of the plays run from the various formations as the season wears on. 
They change these wrinkles according to opponents strengths and weaknesses and mix in new ones that haven't been put on tape yet. 

The advantages of not using the wrinkles already on tape from earlier in the season or showing new wrinkles should be fairly obvious, but I'll try to be clear. 
First of all - it's better to task your opponent in week one of the playoffs with scouring through all the tape from the season to find the creative offensive calls than to just showcase it plainly in week 17.  Of course the obvious advantage is that you've shown them nothing new and given yourself more opportunity and time to install new wrinkles. 

Hackett has done this a number of times this season and it's been discussed openly by the QB at press conferences and broken down on the little "film room" segment of the team's website a couple of times as well. 

The changes can range widely. It can be a disguised safety coverages or D-Line stunts by the defense. 
It can be run blocking schemes by the O-Line, Tight Ends and FB. 
It can be the alignment and rub-route angles by the receivers in bunch formations.
 Many times it involves hot route adjustment by the QB according to what the specific opponent's defense shows him. 
They will put TEs or receivers in motion to create a mis-match, show run, but pass to the mis match. They have run several different variations of the play action, reverse, fake-reverse - even setting up a screen pass from that look. 
There are many wrinkles to be added to the 3 or 4 favored formations that Hackett calls from frequently and saving them for the play-offs instead of wasting them in a meaningless game makes perfect sense to me.

(01-03-2018, 01:49 PM)SDM Wrote: May I ask, what exactly is the benefit of "only opening 25% of the playbook" in a week 17 game?  Tape on weeks 1-16 still exists.

I find it hard to believe they weren't trying to win against a division rival who smashed them earlier in the season.  I don't think any team wants to get swept by a division rival.  And I don't think it's wise to let a division rival walk into the playoffs.  We were extremely close to getting matched up again this weekend.  How bad would it have looked if the Jags, supposedly, "let" us into the playoffs and then we sent you packing in the opening round?

They could’ve tried winning with 25% of the playbook. 

I’m not inclined to believe it but it makes sense.

I’ve heard tale that it wasn’t even the real team on the field In Nashville. They hired a bunch of camp dropouts to don the uniforms so the REAL team could rest. It’s real.

Don’t fret, Brett. We’re just having fun. It really is an interesting story.

Last night I met Blake Bortles in Buffalo. He told me the Jaguars only opened up 50% of the playbook and the only way to reveal the other 50% is to eat authentic Buffalo chicken wings. He was scarfing them down. The Bills are screwed.

I said the same thing in another thread. It makes absolutely no sense to empty a playbook on a game that means nothing, particularly when a chance exists of playing the same opponent the next week. Conversely, the tacks had to give it everything they got. From a strategic standpoint, the Jags held all of the cards. I think they would have destroyed the tacks had that been this week's matchup.

This guy really knows his Blakes huh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was some rumor out there that they were doing some experimentation on both sides of the ball. If they were expecting to play the tacks in the playoffs maybe that makes a little sense. I don't know though man, it's not like they don't play you twice a year and know you're offense and defense pretty well. Anyway, on to the Bills.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbNUxCmq094D3TsSv_F0O...PGk0SF8X0w]
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I have a good Bortles story. I was in Jacksonville with my wife and brother to see the 2015 season opener since he's a Panthers fan. At breakfast before the game we went to a restaurant and I was wearing a Bortles jersey. After we paid our bill the waitress said to us, "I have a story about Bortles if you guys want to hear it, I actually met him" We were intrigued and she went on to say she had met him and she asked him what he did for a living and he told her he was a trainer at SeaWorld. Only later did one of her friends tell her he was the QB for the Jaguars. I can see that as something Blake would do

(01-03-2018, 04:56 PM)JNev Wrote: I have a good Bortles story. I was in Jacksonville with my wife and brother to see the 2015 season opener since he's a Panthers fan. At breakfast before the game we went to a restaurant and I was wearing a Bortles jersey. After we paid our bill the waitress said to us, "I have a story about Bortles if you guys want to hear it, I actually met him" We were intrigued and she went on to say she had met him and she asked him what he did for a living and he told her he was a trainer at SeaWorld. Only later did one of her friends tell her he was the QB for the Jaguars. I can see that as something Blake would do

I've never been more in love with him. <333 Blakey Poo

(01-03-2018, 01:41 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: Two problems with this...
ONE: If you aren't trying to win, and you aren't trying to get better at running the whole playbook, why risk injuries to your starters?
TWO: Running only 25% of the playbook doesn't give the team a pass for running wrong routes, delivering inaccurate passes, and committing dumb penalties.

The news, if true, doesn't make me feel better about the offense. But its prob not true.

How many passes were off the mark?  I'd wager more good passes were dropped than inaccurate passes.

(01-03-2018, 02:24 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

They could’ve tried winning with 25% of the playbook. 

I’m not inclined to believe it but it makes sense.

They should've won with that playbook. It doesn't cause the ST mistakes or the receivers to decided that they really don't need to hold on to the ball.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-03-2018, 04:56 PM)JNev Wrote: I have a good Bortles story. I was in Jacksonville with my wife and brother to see the 2015 season opener since he's a Panthers fan. At breakfast before the game we went to a restaurant and I was wearing a Bortles jersey. After we paid our bill the waitress said to us, "I have a story about Bortles if you guys want to hear it, I actually met him" We were intrigued and she went on to say she had met him and she asked him what he did for a living and he told her he was a trainer at SeaWorld. Only later did one of her friends tell her he was the QB for the Jaguars. I can see that as something Blake would do

Haha, that's an amazing story. I had a guy that would put on a fake Australian accent to pick up girls and every time he did it you could just see the girls flock to him.  It was ridiculous.

It's awesome he realized she had no clue who he was and he decided to mess with her.

I told my wife they looked like the were running a vanilla offense last week so this wouldn't surprise me as being true. That being said, for the people who are talking about resting your starters, I don't think that Marrone and Coughlin would do that with this inexperienced group. They need the snaps to keep the rhythm. Put them out there without a lot of crossing patterns. Don't have BB5 run (I think he only ran once.) Etc. Play vanilla, but play to win. You keep the routines of the season in place while minimizing injury risks.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(01-03-2018, 02:43 PM)GrizzlyDrizzy Wrote: Last night I met Blake Bortles in Buffalo. He told me the Jaguars only opened up 50% of the playbook and the only way to reveal the other 50% is to eat authentic Buffalo chicken wings. He was scarfing them down. The Bills are screwed.

Really hope you [BLEEP] hang around to take your lumps after Sunday afternoon.