Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1st Half Playcalling

I think it’s a flow of the game type deal. Blake was missing badly on simple throws that would have netted decent yardage. When you couple that with how bad the bills were playing and Taylor couldn’t hit anything deep it made no sense to force anything. Just keep it close make a play in the end.

I think the playcalling will be similar in pitt unless pitt is rocking on our defense. He is capable of putting up points it just seemed like they didn’t want lose this game. They were in control the entire game because of the defense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-07-2018, 09:00 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I think it’s a flow of the game type deal. Blake was missing badly on simple throws that would have netted decent yardage. When you couple that with how bad the bills were playing and Taylor couldn’t hit anything deep it made no sense to force anything. Just keep it close make a play in the end.

I think the playcalling will be similar in pitt unless pitt is rocking on our defense. He is capable of putting up points it just seemed like they didn’t want lose this game. They were in control the entire game because of the defense.
God, I hope not. If that's control, I'm not for it. Give me out of control and 3 digit offense.......
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(01-07-2018, 09:00 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I think it’s a flow of the game type deal. Blake was missing badly on simple throws that would have netted decent yardage. When you couple that with how bad the bills were playing and Taylor couldn’t hit anything deep it made no sense to force anything. Just keep it close make a play in the end.

Those 2 badly missed screen passes to Hurns and Bohanon were hard to watch. Wide open and both of them would have easily gone for at least 10-15 yards before they even get close to being touched.

I think some of the play calling was held back due to field position though. Not making any excuses as there was a lot of questionable play calls, but we started multiple drives backed up in our own end. One drive started at our own 9 and the next started at our own 13. That definitely limits the play calling when you're already worried about not making a mistake.

(01-07-2018, 08:21 PM)FBT Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 03:43 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Trust me, I know Blake has played less than stellar so far, but I think a lot of it falls back on the play calling so far.  Everytime our playcalling tenses up and gets ultra conservative, our offense seems to struggle.  I struggle to see how our coaching staff hasn't identified this yet.  We've been light years better when we open it up and throw it downfield on early downs.  How many screens did we run in the 1st half?  We've been a terrible screen team the entire year.  Don't try to force what you want to work, just go with what works.

Hackett’s play calling almost the entire game was pretty suspect.

Gotta give him credit for the 4th down call. It was gutsy and won the game

This offense has no rhythm whatsoever. The offensive line wasn't even that bad. But we just plunge up the middle all the time against 8 man fronts to no avail. Only throwing when we have to or to throw screens behind the line that almost get intercepted. I hope we have an entirely new game plan for Pittsburgh... this was trash.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018, 09:16 PM by Dakota.)

(01-07-2018, 09:12 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: This offense has no rhythm whatsoever. The offensive line wasn't even that bad. But we just plunge up the middle all the time against 8 man fronts to no avail. Only throwing when we have to or to throw screens behind the line that almost get intercepted. I hope we have an entirely new game plan for Pittsburgh... this was trash.
]Pretty much my thoughts. Not nearly enough to hang with the #2 seed.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(01-07-2018, 08:48 PM)SCJagFan Wrote: Whatever rhythm the Jags had on offense is no doubt gone now after the last 3 weeks. The first half playcalling today was rediculously conservative even for Hackett. Blake is at his best when he can move around including run option plays and they just didn’t do that at all in the first half. We clearly cannot run the ball with any real emphasis with Fournette, so hopefully we can do something different against the Steelers.

Don't want to give away our strategy. Hackett and Marrone are keeping the play calling vanilla until the Superbowl.

/sarc

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018, 09:24 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

I was hoping we were playing small ball and just going through the motions biding our time until the playoffs but I guess the offense has just regressed that much since the middle of the season. Where is the team that scored 45, 44, 37 points? We spent almost a month controlling the ball and the game. Bortles was looking like Tom Brady with the highest passer rating in the league for December. Then for no apparent reason we went to San Fran and look like we have no clue what we're doing and that has continued into the postseason.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018, 09:32 PM by rhanna2.)

(01-07-2018, 08:48 PM)SCJagFan Wrote: Whatever rhythm the Jags had on offense is no doubt gone now after the last 3 weeks. The first half playcalling today was rediculously conservative even for Hackett. Blake is at his best when he can move around including run option plays and they just didn’t do that at all in the first half. We clearly cannot run the ball with any real emphasis with Fournette, so hopefully we can do something different against the Steelers.

Amen, play calling made him start of bad. In the games where he was playing really well, they started out throwing the ball so he could get into a rhythm. Not 2-yard screen passes and run on every 1st and 2nd down. Hackett had better call a better game next week at Pittsburgh. I just read an article on ESPN.COM about the game and they were saying it was on the Bills QB. No, they got it wrong, it was the Jags defense that won the day, along with BB5's running. They couldn't even get a touchdown with 1st down at the 1 yard line, did anyone think they could go the length of the field and score on our defense the way they played today. That being said, if they come out with the conservative crap next week, it will be lights out by halftime, even if our defense is as great as it was today.

I think they said it will be in the high teens or low 20s at kickoff next Sunday afternoon at 1:00, so that may put it all on the running games for both teams, but don't count on it.

(01-07-2018, 09:11 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 08:21 PM)FBT Wrote: Hackett’s play calling almost the entire game was pretty suspect.

Gotta give him credit for the 4th down call. It was gutsy and won the game

Blind squirrels have their moments.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Those three passes in a row Blake missed badly were all calls that would have gotten first downs (or close to it) if completed. It's about execution.

After that, Hackett was clearly not as confident in what Blake could do and not do. The playcalling showed that. We were about as one-dimensional as it got which made it easy for a Bills defense that was playing very good football today.
Only a chump boos the home team!

I think we should stop the trickery type plays. Especially because those only seem to work when you actually ESTABLISH the run game or pass game.

These triple option plays with Marqise and Fournette are just a waste of a down.
Our screen game does not fool anyone and shouldn’t be considered a threat.

We should just keep it simple with the play action and run those drag and crossing routes. Throw up a bomb to Dede or Hurns (both were open on go routes) every now and then. But, Blake needs to run as he did today. Gives our offense another much needed dimension.

Cole needs to be added to our game. He was non existent as well.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

The lousy field position to start the first few drives didnt help. Gave them even more excuses to be conservative and avoid a big early game turnover. Couple that with the fact the Bills have a good secondary and lousy run defense, it seemed obvious to run early and often. But unfortunately our running game isn't very good. Especially when it is obvious that is what we are doing.

(01-07-2018, 11:17 PM)rfc17 Wrote: The lousy field position to start the first few drives didnt help. Gave them even more excuses to be conservative and avoid a big early game turnover. Couple that with the fact the Bills have a good secondary and lousy run defense, it seemed obvious to run early and often. But unfortunately our running game isn't very good. Especially when it is obvious that is what we are doing.

I agree that the poor field position affected the play calling, but also I think there is no doubt that Blake had some serious nerves at the beginning of the game. He was reverting back to old Blake with his poor footwork and bad throws and just couldn't get anything going. He seemed to settle down on the drive right at the end of the first half to kick the FG and played okay from that point forward. At some point Hackett needs to go back and start calling pass plays on early downs to setup the run so that Blake does not have to continue dealing with 3rd and long situations. Blake seems to thrive when he can get a real rhythm and Hackett just can't seem to find a way to help him get there.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(01-07-2018, 11:17 PM)rfc17 Wrote: The lousy field position to start the first few drives didnt help. Gave them even more excuses to be conservative and avoid a big early game turnover. Couple that with the fact the Bills have a good secondary and lousy run defense, it seemed obvious to run early and often. But unfortunately our running game isn't very good. Especially when it is obvious that is what we are doing.

I agree with the field position not helping but that's also why I hated the playcalling when we got the INT. We finally managed to start the drive in Bills territory thanks to that and Hackett still called a run up the middle and 2 screens to the slowest player we have: 3 & out and didn't even get in FG range.
We really need to try and call the game like we did against Seattle, at least try to mix it up a bit more against the Steelers as we'll need to be able to sustain drives if we want to have a chance against them (while it was great when we met them in week 5 it's unlikely we get 5 INTS (2 of them for pick 6) again, we need the offense to do their part.

(01-07-2018, 09:23 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: I was hoping we were playing small ball and just going through the motions biding our time until the playoffs but I guess the offense has just regressed that much since the middle of the season. Where is the team that scored 45, 44, 37 points? We spent almost a month controlling the ball and the game. Bortles was looking like Tom Brady with the highest passer rating in the league for December. Then for no apparent reason we went to San Fran and look like we have no clue what we're doing and that has continued into the postseason.
That 3 game stretch was against the Colts Texans and a banged up Seahawks team that lost to Gabbert at Home.

Blake is going to need to have the best game of his career come Sunday.

You guys are nuts.

Jaguars Football is run heavy, low risk, low score, clock shortening, defensive, field position football.

It's been this Way all year and will continue to be how we win games.

We didn't become the Greatest Show back in December, we just played bad teams. And now we're three wins from a title.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Just scanning through this thread it seems folks are still convincing themselves that Hackett calls run on first down all the time even though he doesn't.

In the first half vs the bills they ran on 4 first downs, ran a reverse (showing pass) on one first down (5 yards), and they passed on three first downs.

Very balanced. The runs on first down went for 2,4, 0 and 7 yards. Plus the reverse for 5.
So from all of that we're talking about two first down runs that were ineffective.

I don't see much of a problem there. The points made about being conservative when backed up deep are good ones. Three of those first half drives started inside the 15 yard line. They started at the 9, the 11, and the 13 respectively. You're just not gonna let a shaky looking QB air it out too much early in those drives.

(01-08-2018, 09:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys are nuts.

Jaguars Football is run heavy, low risk, low score, clock shortening, defensive, field position football.

It's been this Way all year and will continue to be how we win games.

We didn't become the Greatest Show back in December, we just played bad teams. And now we're three wins from a title.

What's funny is we have returned to the playoffs after a decade... and not much has changed.  This team is very similar to that 2007-2008 team.  The main difference is this defense is actually better, but the offense is probably worse.