Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marrone clearly outcoached Tomlin...

Tomlin's worst mistake was not kicking the FG with 31 seconds left, which would give them time for a score after a successful onside kick.

Of course he was even worse in the Pats game. How could he leave Gronk essentially uncovered at the end?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2018, 10:25 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: What about the last play of the game?  I don't understand Tomlin kicking it deep.  Granted there was only 1 second left, but why not go for the onside kick and then try a series of laterals to run it back for a score?  Sure, it's desperate, but why not try?  That's a coaching call that made no sense.

Wouldn't have worked.  Kicking team CANNOT advance unless the other team has the ball, and then fumbles it.  As soon as they touch the ball, it's game over.

I was annoyed at the Jags defensive scheme because we constantly gave Ben time and room to crank out those big throws. Granted, some of the Steeler TD catches were miracles. I can't believe the receiver (Bell?) held onto the pass even after Telvin gave the ball a good whack. And Brown's first TD against Boye was a great catch, though he was holding AJ the whole time. I think if we sent more pressure against Ben the game would have been more like 42-14 Jags in a laugher, and with Ben retiring afterwards.

The 2 big turnovers were classic 2017 Jags. Myles Jack showed Ramsey-like skills to make that INT, and Telvin did the scoop and score drill perfectly but the taunt was bush league.

Win or lose next week, it''s gonna be fun to see how we stack up against the best coach and QB in NFL history.

The steelers helped us out with their dumb 4th and 1 calls. A toss, a deep pass, the onside kick to set up Lambo. They could have easily tied the game up at least. With how our defense was just lollygagging and playing patty cake to try and tackle people.
No pain, no gain.

Oh how long it's been since we are able to out coach a very good team. Very proud of my Jags and the coaching staff.

P.S. Very proud of the entire organization
Not A Bandwagon Fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Formerly Known As ajagsfan On Original MB

Fan Since 2004 & GO JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(01-14-2018, 08:17 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Tomlin botched the onside call.

I was surprised Marrone continued to only rush four and let ben pick us apart.

I thought so too BUT...honestly...the defense was there (in the right positions) all day.  Their TDs were literally perfect passes and catches.  The only one where a defender wasn't in a WR's hip pocket was on Gipson and that was his fault.

I would have liked to see more pressure on Ben as well but I think it's hard to argue that our defense could have been in better position than they were.

(01-14-2018, 09:19 PM)jjgator Wrote: Tomlin made some pretty bone head calls in the wildcard game when we played them 10 years ago (and in his whole coaching career really).

The same thought came to mind for me when watching yesterday's playoff game  ( regarding the highly questionable calls by Mike Tomlin in the playoff game against the Jaguars 10 years ago ).

It surprised me greatly that in yesterday's game following the 10 second runoff,  combined with the 10 yard penalty,  Tomlin didn't send the FG unit out on the field.  The Steelers needed 10 points.  The clock was their greatest enemy with only 32 seconds remaining.  Tomlin wasn't on top of his game.

(01-15-2018, 09:03 AM)D6 Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 09:19 PM)jjgator Wrote: Tomlin made some pretty bone head calls in the wildcard game when we played them 10 years ago (and in his whole coaching career really).

The same thought came to mind for me when watching yesterday's playoff game  ( regarding the highly questionable calls by Mike Tomlin in the playoff game against the Jaguars 10 years ago ).

It surprised me greatly that in yesterday's game following the 10 second runoff,  combined with the 10 yard penalty,  Tomlin didn't send the FG unit out on the field.  The Steelers needed 10 points.  The clock was their greatest enemy with only 32 seconds remaining.  Tomlin wasn't on top of his game.

I thought the onside kick was senseless and basically gave the Jaguar's the game with the Lambo field goal.  They still had two time outs left and the 2 minute warning.  That was just plain dumb.  Although a couple of the 4th down calls rivalled the dumbness of that one.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-15-2018, 09:06 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 09:03 AM)D6 Wrote:    The same thought came to mind for me when watching yesterday's playoff game  ( regarding the highly questionable calls by Mike Tomlin in the playoff game against the Jaguars 10 years ago ).

I thought the onside kick was senseless and basically gave the Jaguar's the game with the Lambo field goal.  They still had two time outs left and the 2 minute warning.  That was just plain dumb.  Although a couple of the 4th down calls rivalled the dumbness of that one.

Though I would have kicked off in that situation,  I thought there was some upside to the onside kick even though it was a low % play.   The Jaguars became conservative after recovering the onside kick and it came down to making a 45 yd FG in a stadium that's arguably the most difficult to kick FGs in.  

I agree with you about a couple of the 4th Down calls.  Both Mike Tomlin and Off. Coordinator Todd Haley deserve the criticism for those decisions.

(01-15-2018, 09:23 AM)D6 Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 09:06 AM)Rico Wrote: I thought the onside kick was senseless and basically gave the Jaguar's the game with the Lambo field goal.  They still had two time outs left and the 2 minute warning.  That was just plain dumb.  Although a couple of the 4th down calls rivalled the dumbness of that one.

Though I would have kicked off in that situation,  I thought there was some upside to the onside kick even though it was a low % play.   The Jaguars became conservative after recovering the onside kick and it came down to making a 45 yd FG in a stadium that's arguably the most difficult to kick FGs in.  

I agree with you about a couple of the 4th Down calls.  Both Mike Tomlin and Off. Coordinator Todd Haley deserve the criticism for those decisions.

Well, exactly.  They were going to be conservative anyway.  Why not pin them deep and get the ball back on a punt?  I thank them for giving us the ball in their territory.

Does anyone think that as good as Marrone is....that he's linked up to TC? Or is TC in our play booth instead of another one maybe with Khan and Caldwell?
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-15-2018, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 09:23 AM)D6 Wrote:    Though I would have kicked off in that situation,  I thought there was some upside to the onside kick even though it was a low % play.   The Jaguars became conservative after recovering the onside kick and it came down to making a 45 yd FG in a stadium that's arguably the most difficult to kick FGs in.  

Well, exactly.  They were going to be conservative anyway.  Why not pin them deep and get the ball back on a punt?  I thank them for giving us the ball in their territory.

We will never know what would have happened.  But I believe there was a great chance the Jaguars would be more aggressive if the Steelers kicked off.  Assuming field position would have been somewhere around the Jaguars 25 yard line.  If the Jaguars didn't get a 1st Down,  punting would have very likely been necessary.  Hence,  the Jaguars easily could have used a play action pass to try to take advantage of the Steelers selling out for the run.

On the other hand,  with the Onside kick failing,  the Jaguars were already on the edge of FG range.  It seemed less likely the Jaguars would be aggressive once that happened.  Knowing that a few yards would put them in a good situation to attempt a FG to go up by 10 points.

Said the same thing in another topic, but I don't know why Andy Reid gets killed after every loss but Tomlin gets a free pass. He's a terrible coach. Ridiculous roster and he underachieves every year. Coming with the same defensive scheme every time and getting torched by the Pats. Now he was talking about the Pats vs Steelers match up for two weeks, completely ignoring the Jaguars. Not even a high school coach would make that mistake. Clock management, defensive schemes, complaining about the refs, headsets, injuries or Gatorade color. Everything is in play when the Tomlin excuse train gets moving.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 11:26 AM by Brett.)

I disagree with the user here that said onside kicking by them was the right call. It was still 2:12 left to go and they had at least 2 timeouts left if not 3 right? They had plenty of time left and could have played field positioning especially with a 3 and out. That was an awful call in my opinion.

(01-15-2018, 11:18 AM)Brett Wrote: I disagree with the user here that said onside kicking by them was the right call. It was still 2:12 left to go and they had at least 2 timeouts left if not 3 right? That was an awful call in my opinion.

I guess there's more than one way to look at it, but I completely agree with you.  He basically said he had no confidence in his defense, by doing that.

I think we were in Tomlin's head after going up 14-0 early. The Steelers spent the rest of the game in full-on panic mode. Their decisions reflected their desperation.

I'm insanely proud that this team can put a squad as stacked as the Steelers in that position.

The onside, the fourth down calls, and the decision not to call that timeout before the two minute warning were all terrible decisions that i am very thankful for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(01-15-2018, 09:29 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Does anyone think that as good as Marrone is....that he's linked up to TC? Or is TC in our play booth instead of another one maybe with Khan and Caldwell?

TC is not "actually" involved during the game or anything.  BUT, TC is mentoring the crap out of Marrone and Marrone seeks out advice/guidance from TC on a regular basis.  It's a great relationship/situation.

The in game coaching of Tomlin rivals that of Gus Bradley.

(01-15-2018, 12:36 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: The in game coaching of Tomlin rivals that of Gus Bradley.

OK, Tomlin wasn't good yesterday but a Bradley comparison is just unfair lol.

I mean Bradley would struggle coaching a team against Landmark (yes the middle school).