Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I think Bortles should be benched the rest of the year.

Quote:Maybe it would prove to be unfruitful, but I believe at this point in time the best option would be to bench him and have him focus on his mechanics/decision making in practice and not be forced into game action with a line that doesn't give him any time to improve. Let Brandon Allen get a shot to earn Henne's job next year and (possibly) prove to be more than that, stop forcing Bortles into an uncomfortable situation it's clearly tearing him down week by week. 
I've seen some really idiotic suggestions on this board, and this is definitely one of them.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bortles is not the answer. I actually agree with the OP. I'd bench him. As bad as Henne is, I think we would be 3-3.

Also Pass Blocking hasn't been an issue.

Quote:Bortles is not the answer. I actually agree with the OP. I'd bench him. As bad as Henne is, I think we would be 3-3.

LOL henne is one of the only QBs in the NFL with more career INTs than TDs. Bortles could throw for 35 TDs and 4400 yards AGAIN and this is still just a (5-11) team. It's last in the NFL in rushing, last in penalties, last in dropped passes, and 26th in scoring defense up from 31st last year.

The Jags could have Tom Brady at QB and still be 3-3. It's a terrible team until Gus Bradley and the inept coaching staff is replaced. Honestly the Jags do nothing well in terms of playoff quality.

Quote:LOL henne is one of the only QBs in the NFL with more career INTs than TDs. Bortles could throw for 35 TDs and 4400 yards AGAIN and this is still just a (5-11) team. It's last in the NFL in rushing, last in penalties, last in dropped passes, and 26th in scoring defense up from 31st last year.

The Jags could have Tom Brady at QB and still be 3-3. It's a terrible team until Gus Bradley and the inept coaching staff is replaced. Honestly the Jags do nothing well in terms of playoff quality.

Bro, Bortles is still trying to get the ball out. His wind up goes below his thighs.

He threw into triple coverage and turned the ball over. He's terrible.

Yes last year he was pretty good. This year he stinks like hot garbage.

How can anyone honestly suggest that Brandon Allen should start this season? He's honestly so bad, he should have been cut and I wouldn't lose sleep on him clearing waivers

I'd rather try and save the season by Trading Henne to Cleveland or trying to get Joe Thomas.. these blow-up strategies just mean 5 more years of rebuilding and it's too exhausting.

Bortles needs more experience and more time working on technique...  just like with Blaine Gabbert it needs to be really bad or really good, not in the middle.. so you have several outcomes:

A.) Bortles plays the season out and throws 15 more picks and losses out, you can feel better about moving on from him, trading or releasing. Gus is fired

B.) Bortles wins 4 more games, maybe a 11-7 TD-INT ratio, so he stays and Gus is Fired

C.) Bortles makes it to 7 wins, sneakily win AFC south - Both Gus/Bortles stay but with the awkwardness of being mediocre still

D.) Bortles throws 25 TD's wins out, make playoffs and win a playoff game - Xbox freezes at 3:42 am

Most importantly, Henne/Allen are not starting QB's - maybe somehow Allen stops being so terrible and becomes a decent back-up (I always have hope). So the logic of trying to make it happen is not justified until Bortles is truly bad beyond return  .. Some of you are just angry and not thinking straight. 

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2016, 10:14 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Quote:How can anyone honestly suggest that Brandon Allen should start this season? He's honestly so bad, he should have been cut and I wouldn't lose sleep on him clearing waivers

I'd rather try and save the season by Trading Henne to Cleveland or trying to get Joe Thomas.. these blow-up strategies just mean 5 more years of rebuilding and it's too exhausting.

Bortles needs more experience and more time working on technique... just like with Blaine Gabbert it needs to be really bad or really good, not in the middle.. so you have several outcomes:

A.) Bortles plays the season out and throws 15 more picks and losses out, you can feel better about moving on from him, trading or releasing. Gus is fired

B.) Bortles wins 4 more games, maybe a 11-7 TD-INT ratio, so he stays and Gus is Fired

C.) Bortles makes it to 7 wins, sneakily win AFC south - Both Gus/Bortles stay but with the awkwardness of being mediocre still

D.) Bortles throws 25 TD's wins out, make playoffs and win a playoff game - Xbox freezes at 3:42 am

Most importantly, Henne/Allen are not starting QB's - maybe somehow Allen stops being so terrible and becomes a decent back-up (I always have hope). So the logic of trying to make it happen is not justified until Bortles is truly bad beyond return .. Some of you are just angry and not thinking straight.
It's his throwing motion. He's done.

Enough with he's 23 years old, he needs more time, he's needs coaching, etc.

He needs to fix his arm bc he don't throw normal.

Any evidence that benching a qb has ever made him better? For starters he would then get less snaps.

Quote:Why isn't he improving his mechanics at all? Does it really take a whole offseason to not dip the ball?

I think I've heard it takes 10000 reps to change muscle memory.
No Fun

I would like to see if a change to B. Allen would garner more wins. Better than 1 good drive, pick in the endzone and the entire team being deflated for the rest of the game. ( every game )
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Stick with Bortles. Season is technically done. Either he gets better and he shows progress or it shows the Jags that he isn't a franchise QB and they need to go another direction.

Allen and Henne aren't some magic potion that the offense can plug in to win games.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Bortles is not the answer. I actually agree with the OP. I'd bench him. As bad as Henne is, I think we would be 3-3.

So if you were coach you'd be starting Henneroid at QB, and Corey Grant at RB? Lol. If there's one person on this board that I could guarantee with absolute certainty would be a worse coach than Gus, it's you.

Quote:Why isn't he improving his mechanics at all? Does it really take a whole offseason to not dip the ball?

I really believe it's the result of coaches not holding him accountable for it in practice, and it's a shame. Also has to do with how much he's gotten hit since he's started here; he was the most sacked QB over the last two years, so I can understand him reverting back to his old ways a bit.

It's too late to get on him for his mechanics now though. That's what the offseason and OTAs and training camp are for. Now, we are going to be stuck with 10 more games of Bortles' mechanics seriously hampering our offensive production unless something crazy happens, which I don't see. It's a shame Bortles regressed this badly, he's costing himself and his teammates (Arob) a lot of money this year.

Quote:LOL henne is one of the only QBs in the NFL with more career INTs than TDs. Bortles could throw for 35 TDs and 4400 yards AGAIN and this is still just a (5-11) team.

Funny how once again you did not add that Bortles will also get your over 20 turnovers/year.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Go Cubs!!!

next

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016, 01:46 PM by Kane.)

Here's where I'm at with it....

We've seen Bortles be good. So I'm not ready to give up on him. I don't think you can bench him unless his regression continues AND we're officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Even still...

it doesn't create a good luck.

If Bradley and his staff are on the way out, they might make a move like this, but it'll just drive home the boot that sends them packing.

However....

I'm not against seeing Allen in some live action and actually having an open  competition between the two next season (in addition to anyone else the new coach staff brings in)

I want to see if Bortles can actually make the adjustments he needs to to start playing better. And the rest of the schedule is hard enough we should have a real good idea about this whole team, not just the coaches.

BTW... Bortles has had 16 drops from his WRs, 6 or 7 by AR15.

He isn't the only problem. But him being a problem is a problem.

You don't bench the guy you drafted to be your franchise QB until you're sure he's not.  I've been as disappointed in his regression as anyone but I'll hold on to the possibility that this is just a phase that he'll be able to work himself out of.  If I were the GM the concerns I would be are his apparent lack of football IQ and his terrible accuracy.  Not so worried about his mechanics, you don't have to have great mechanics to get the ball there.  I'd say keep starting him until he literally forces you to put in Henne or Allen.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

The last person people on this board wanted to bench was telvin smith and he has been playing great ever since.

Hopefully this thread being started will kick start bortles into gear for the rest of the season.

Lol bench telvin. Cracks me up every time.

Bortles issues are multifaceted and are not going to be fixed overnight. They've been discussed in detail in other posts so I won't labor them again here; but, I will say that if there is something going on with Bortles off the field that is impacting his play, he needs to be held accountable.