Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interview With Bortles About Benching

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

(11-29-2018, 09:47 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:38 AM)Dimson Wrote: It was not a waste. We got to the AFC Championship game and should have won it. He is good with good pieces around him, but this season he faltered when his OL went down and his WRs forgot how to catch.

Simple.

I keep harping on this. He'll be starting next year pending a big QB signing.

Yup. Draft the best O-lineman, run stuffing DT, LB. Get back Blake in school during the offseason with the QB guru in California.  Jaguars will be back stronger, healthier than ever to make one more run at the SB. And If Blake is cut or released, it counts $16.5 mil against the cap. No team is going to trade a 7th rounder and take on his salary. We stuck with him. The old gang will be back. Power football baby.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-29-2018, 10:05 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:01 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: BLAKE BORTLES DID NOT GET US TO THE AFCC GAME!!! STOP SAYING IT! He was simply along for the ride. This is like saying Trent Dilfer won the SB for the Ravens.

Why are you people so delusional about Bortles?

Whoa daddy, all caps. You must really mean it. Buuuuwwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!. Do you think they were there with friggin Kessler playing all year? I'll tell you, not a chance.

What does this have to do with Kessler? The defense here is that Bortles got us to the AFCC game and that is somehow an excuse to keep him around. My argument is that he did NOT get us to that game. A dominant defense, zero injuries, weak schedule, every QB in the division having a torn ligament did.

It is all moot however, as he is gone before training camp.

(11-29-2018, 09:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:47 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Simple.

I keep harping on this. He'll be starting next year pending a big QB signing.

You guys and you're logic...sheesh.

Yeah. I get it. And up until a few weeks ago, I thought the best path forward was to start Blake next year (with some O-Line help) and let a rookie QB sit at least 8 games if not a season before taking over. 

But now, I've just seen WAY too many easy third down conversions wasted by Blake's poor decisions or terrible accuracy.  Too many drives ended by flat out bad play from the QB position. So now I wonder if the Jags brass may feel the same way. 

Here are two examples of things that happen very routinely that I grabbed very quickly from the bills tape.

First - on third and 1 Bortles dumps for no gain when he's got a wide open TE 9 yards downfield as his option A on the rollout.  This is a play designed to help QBs by giving them two easy reads in one field of vision without having to look around. You've got a primary and a dump off. He screws it up. Punt follows. 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Second - Blake has Cole breaking to the inside across the numbers toward the hash and he throws the ball where Cole must stop and leap backward to attempt a catch. Ends in a pick.  He had time, and he had several other placement options to avoid the inside defender. He throws a virtually uncatchable ball that's tipped for a pick. 

These are by no means isolated examples. There are dozens of such bad throws and stupid decisions to document in the game film from the season. 

I get that he's been hobbled by the line and the receivers drop rates have been ugly, but there are too many of these plays where neither are the case and he screws it up on his own. 

I just don't know if trotting out number 5 is an option anymore even with a bolstered O-Line and another receiving threat added in. Sure it's possible, and I get it, but I wonder if he's broken that last straw.

Saying Bortles brought us to the AFC game is straight up insulting one of the best years a defense has ever had.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 10:26 AM by old_man.)

(11-29-2018, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys and you're logic...sheesh.

Yeah. I get it. And up until a few weeks ago, I thought the best path forward was to start Blake next year (with some O-Line help) and let a rookie QB sit at least 8 games if not a season before taking over. 

But now, I've just seen WAY too many easy third down conversions wasted by Blake's poor decisions or terrible accuracy.  Too many drives ended by flat out bad play from the QB position. So now I wonder if the Jags brass may feel the same way. 

Here are two examples of things that happen very routinely that I grabbed very quickly from the bills tape.

First - on third and 1 Bortles dumps for no gain when he's got a wide open TE 9 yards downfield as his option A on the rollout.  This is a play designed to help QBs by giving them two easy reads in one field of vision without having to look around. You've got a primary and a dump off. He screws it up. Punt follows. 

Second - Blake has Cole breaking to the inside across the numbers toward the hash and he throws the ball where Cole must stop and leap backward to attempt a catch. Ends in a pick.  He had time, and he had several other placement options to avoid the inside defender. He throws a virtually uncatchable ball that's tipped for a pick. 

These are by no means isolated examples. There are dozens of such bad throws and stupid decisions to document in the game film from the season. 

I get that he's been hobbled by the line and the receivers drop rates have been ugly, but there are too many of these plays where neither are the case and he screws it up on his own. 

I just don't know if trotting out number 5 is an option anymore even with a bolstered O-Line and another receiving threat added in. Sure it's possible, and I get it, but I wonder if he's broken that last straw.

The issue with this post is you are not posting the interception that hit the TE in the hands and he didn't catch it.

It goes both ways.

Also the 3 and 1. you have the safety coming down hard and the other colts player on the outside.

I have no issue with that check down. Normally Fournette wouldn't be tackled by one guy.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-29-2018, 10:24 AM)old_man Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. I get it. And up until a few weeks ago, I thought the best path forward was to start Blake next year (with some O-Line help) and let a rookie QB sit at least 8 games if not a season before taking over. 

The issue with this post is you are not posting the interception that hit the TE in the hands and he didn't catch it.

It goes both ways.

No. That's not an issue with this post. Not at all. 

I clearly address the struggles of the offense that weren't Blake's fault -  and I clearly address that there were simply way too many things that are solely the fault of Blake Bortles for me to feel comfortable moving forward with him. 

I know the difference. I stated it, and it doesn't add up to excusing Blake of his own errors.

(and there is ZERO reason not to throw to the TE in that clip - zero)

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 10:34 AM by old_man.)

Our WR Corps is horrible without Lee in the line up.

And unfortunately Hackett should have had more QB designed runs in the play book.

The games need to be called to your player's strengths. Period.

(11-29-2018, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:24 AM)old_man Wrote: The issue with this post is you are not posting the interception that hit the TE in the hands and he didn't catch it.

It goes both ways.

I clearly address the struggles of the offense that weren't Blake's fault -  and I clearly address that there were simply way too many things that are solely the fault of Blake Bortles for me to feel comfortable moving forward with him. 

I know the difference. I stated it, and it doesn't add up to excusing Blake of his own errors.

It is my opinion that no one was performing around Blake not even at an average level.

Of course he will make errors,  I agree with that but he needs some kinda help.

Not throwing the ball on 1 down and mixing in 2nd down was also a failure on the play calling. 

How many WR screens were thrown or pick plays?  Very little.

I am not sticking up for Blake.  I think he played poorly.  I just do not think it was all his issue. There were a few games that I thought he was the only player that tried to make something happen and it showed.

(11-29-2018, 02:21 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Watching his interview tonight on WJXT-4 on this very topic, I wonder how much, if any, of his regression this year was due to him losing the daily relationship and contact with Chad Henne.  We all know he has been inconsistent thru pretty much all of his career, and this might be a bit of a stretch, but good relationships in the NFL carry a lot more weight than most outsiders would even know about.  Of course, he played pretty well early for a couple of games this year, and certainly injuries had a huge effect on his play, but he bounced back pretty well last year in December after hitting a bit of a November slump.  A veteran backup who wants to see you succeed is invaluable in those situations.  Mahomes was interviewed in the pre-season and was raving about what a great mentor Henne was for him. Just speculatin....

I agree. Pat Mahomes was crap before Henne got there. Heck, he sat on the bench until Henne got there to provide his tutelage.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM by old_man.)

(11-29-2018, 10:22 AM)TearExtractor Wrote: Saying Bortles brought us to the AFC game is straight up insulting one of the best years a defense has ever had.

He had a damn good game in the 2nd Pittsburgh game to let us advance.

After the D straight up started to collapse.

(11-29-2018, 10:28 AM)old_man Wrote: Our WR Corps is horrible without Lee in the line up.

And unfortunately Hackett should have had more QB designed runs in the play book.

The games need to be called to your player's strengths.  Period.

(11-29-2018, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: No. That's not an issue with this post. Not at all. 

It is my opinion that no one was performing around Blake not even at an average level.

Not throwing the ball on 1 down and mixing in 2nd down was also a failure on the play calling. 

I am not sticking up for Blake.  I think he played poorly.  I just do not think it was all his issue.  There were a few games that I thought he was the only player that tried to make something happen and it showed.

Him and Cleatwood are never wrong. I saw that Safety come into the screen as well.

And also, everyone ALWAYS harps on what Blake does bad. Apparently he has never EVER done anything good. smh.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(11-29-2018, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:24 AM)old_man Wrote: The issue with this post is you are not posting the interception that hit the TE in the hands and he didn't catch it.

It goes both ways.

(and there is ZERO reason not to throw to the TE in that clip  - zero)

"(and there is ZERO reason not to throw to the TE in that clip  - zero)"

We have no idea what is coached with a player that is near bracketed.

I would have more trust in Fournette on that play.  Just saying.

(11-29-2018, 10:28 AM)old_man Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: No. That's not an issue with this post. Not at all. 

I am not sticking up for Blake.  I think he played poorly.  I just do not think it was all his issue.  There were a few games that I thought he was the only player that tried to make something happen and it showed.

The OC was clearly part of the problem. We can list things that weren't Blake's fault all day here. (actually - I think we've covered them all now)  But the point of my post  - and the point I continue to try to make is that despite the errors around him, Blake still made too many of his own for me ( just me, speaking for myself) to feel comfortable putting him out there again. 

Will he do better with a smarter OC, a healthier and deeper line, and an upgrade at WR or TE?  Absolutely he will. Yes. 
I just do not share the opinion that it's going to be good enough. Certainly not good enough for anything beyond being a placeholder for a developing rookie. 

Having a QB that will hold up his end of the bargain despite a perfect storm of injuries and suckage around him is necessary in the current NFL. Blake isn't one of those guys.

(11-29-2018, 10:38 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:28 AM)old_man Wrote: Our WR Corps is horrible without Lee in the line up.

Him and Cleatwood are never wrong. 

Really? 
I was wrong about Hackett. 
I was wrong about Cole. 
I was wrong about Bortles being good enough to help the team have consecutive winning seasons. 
I was wrong to think Coughlin would realize what was holding this team back and mandate corrections last offseason. 

That safety would have no impact on the TE catching that ball well beyond the first down marker BTW. Just because he exists within ten yards of the TE doesn't mean you don't throw it. The LB was on LF much more than the safety was in position to disrupt the TE's catch.

You are entitled to your opinion, I just disagree.

Dave Caldwell needs to be held accountable for drafting him and sticking with him this long.

(11-29-2018, 11:07 AM)old_man Wrote: You are entitled to your opinion,  I just disagree.

Yeah, that's just where we land on this issue. No biggie. 

FWIW - I was cautiously optimistic about Blake prior to this season and ecstatic when it looked like he may have really turned a corner early on. I didn't really fully give up on him until very recently. 
It's likely that our opinions on the guy aren't really terribly far apart - I've just finally come to that final tipping point.

(11-29-2018, 11:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 11:07 AM)old_man Wrote: You are entitled to your opinion,  I just disagree.

Yeah, that's just where we land on this issue. No biggie. 

FWIW - I was cautiously optimistic about Blake prior to this season and ecstatic when it looked like he may have really turned a corner early on. I didn't really fully give up on him until very recently. 
It's likely that our opinions on the guy aren't really terribly far apart - I've just finally come to that final tipping point.

We agree on that. Smile

This thread has me a tad concerned that there is a chance that Blake could return as a starter for this franchise. Unless Kessler goes down it would be incredible to ever see him start for this team again. No one out there can say that he wasn't given ample opportunity to be the man. He held the job for 5 years and the team refused to even bring in anyone to challenge him. I literally cringe every time he drops back to pass. His terrible wind up and bad footwork lead to the possibility of too many negatives. He cannot quick read and release a pass. Almost every throw is a soft lob or toss, never a zip. This compounds any O line issues. Also although our receivers aren't world beaters, I firmly believe that Blakes consistent bad ball placement and bad spin on the ball do not help them either. I like Blake and rooted for him just like I root for anyone who wears the Jag uniform but we need to move on. The franchise QB simply must be able to put the team on his back and win several times a season and he simply cannot do that.

(11-29-2018, 10:01 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: BLAKE BORTLES DID NOT GET US TO THE AFCC GAME!!! STOP SAYING IT! He was simply along for the ride. This is like saying Trent Dilfer won the SB for the Ravens.

Im sorry but we dont get to that game with out him in the Pitt game the week before and we dont out play the pats without him and he did outplay TB until the coaches actied like little girls and went soft on defense and offense and it had nothing to do with Blake.

(11-29-2018, 11:49 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:

Im sorry but we dont get to that game with out him in the Pitt game the week before and we dont out play the pats without him and he did outplay TB until the coaches actied like little girls and went soft on defense and offense and it had nothing to do with Blake.

That never happened to some folks.

They erase it from their minds as if there was some other QB there doing that.

They say Blake has only thrown picks and bad passes.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend