Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For Those Upset Caldwell and/or Marrone Weren't Fired

Great thread, Bullseye. Thanks for forcing us to think logically and consider the linkage and outcomes of the “one off” moves being suggested through your thorough questions. You’re doing us a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Correct me if I am wrong but has there every been a good NFL QB that came from an Urban Meyer team? Forget Haskins
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM by SuperJville.)

(12-31-2018, 02:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 09:38 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Why do people think Parnell should be cut?  I think he’s a decent RT. We don’t have an immediate upgrade there so I’d keep him until Richardson develops.

I think injuries were the primary reason for us being 5-11, with an overall lack of offensive talent being the 2nd most important factor.

We need overall much more talent on offense.  Qb is an obvious hole.  I would get a guy like Fitzpatrick if we can just to “get by” another year and hope a guy we like is available in round 1 of 2.  I would make sure this qb has good arm talent and mechanics.. ie he needs to be a natural thrower of the ball.  

I would not move up in the draft and give up the farm for one guy. That would require too much.. I would rather have as many picks as possible and load up on big linemen.  You then hope your injuries don’t kill you next year.

I do think Caldwell should go.  Frankly I just don’t think he’s done enough.

I think Parnell played at a pretty good level for us, with the notable exception of the Chefs game.  Based purely on that he would be worthy to be retained.  However (and I readily concede I am not a cap guy and readily defer to more cap competent individuals here) it is my understanding that the Jaguars are currently over the cap.  This website currently has us at about $3-4 million over the cap as I type this.  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ .  Spotrac has us closer to $6 million over the cap.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville.../cap/2019/I did not see a cap listing for Parnell on OTC  OTC lists Parnell as a $5 million cap hit, but Spotrac has Parnell at a $6 million cap hit in 2019, and he will be 33 years old by the time the season starts next year.  He may be a candidate for release.

So you would go for Fitzpatrick and a QB in round 1 or 2.  Considering the Raiders, Bucs and Giants all pick ahead of us in the draft standings, it's possible anywhere from 1-3 of those teams will want a QB in the first round.  You said you would not move up in the draft.  So then it's possible you may not draft a QB at all in the first two rounds if the teams that need QB ahead of you in round 1 take a QB, and there is competition for a guy like Grier at the bottom of the first and top of the 2nd round?  Would that make you a bad GM if you did not address an obvious hole at QB with more than Fitzpatrick?  Consider the reaction on the message board.  Caldwell took a swing at Bortles at 3rd overall in 2014 and missed, and did not take a swing at Mahomes or Watson last year and is getting killed for it now.

If you take a QB in round 1 or 2, how many draft picks do you allocate to build the OL?  Of those picks, how many do you anticipate starting?

What about the rest of the lack of offensive talent?  How many picks do you allocate to address WR, TE, RB?

For 6m, we’re not going to find a replacement for Parnell. Boselli was on the radio last week saying that Parnell is an above average RT that isn’t going to just be replaced by someone better just because we say so.  So I say, keep Parnell. 6m for a starter on the offensive line isn’t that much. Keep a starter especially considering how many holes we have to fill. No sense in creating more holes like we did when Caldwell took over in 2013.

Fitzpatrick is my guy I try desperately to sign. He is old but can still get the job done. He would provide us with the best qb play we’ve had in many years. Although he is also inconsistent, he’s capable, especially with a good defense.

If a QB “drops” to 7 I take a qb if I like him enough.  If I don’t, I take the best available player. Having Fitzpatrick would make me not panic and reaching or trading up.

We won’t be able to fill every single hole, but you try your best. I think this team still has a window to win and to make the playoffs.
With better luck on the injury front and Fitzpatrick, I think we can definitely compete for the playoffs.

As the new GM, you won’t be judged by one single off season. So this new GM can’t undo what Caldwell neglected over the past 5 years all in one offseason.  Getting a nice stopgap like Fitzpatrick would be a great start. 

Round 1: Metcalf, WR
Round 2: Grier, Lock, etc.  this is obviously not a finished product at qb but you’re drafting a talented guy who has a chance to sit and learn for 1-2 years. Would be better than having Bortles.
Round 3-7: tight end, o line, LB (best available also applies)

(12-31-2018, 08:44 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but has there every been a good NFL QB that came from an Urban Meyer team? Forget Haskins

Is there a rule that says that just because there hasn’t been, there never will be?

That argument can be used with nearly every single college coach.

Has there ever been a good qb developed by Saban? No? Well, I guess teams are scratching Tua off their list next year completely.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(12-31-2018, 08:56 AM)SuperJville Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 02:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I think Parnell played at a pretty good level for us, with the notable exception of the Chefs game.  Based purely on that he would be worthy to be retained.  However (and I readily concede I am not a cap guy and readily defer to more cap competent individuals here) it is my understanding that the Jaguars are currently over the cap.  This website currently has us at about $3-4 million over the cap as I type this.  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ .  Spotrac has us closer to $6 million over the cap.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville.../cap/2019/I did not see a cap listing for Parnell on OTC  OTC lists Parnell as a $5 million cap hit, but Spotrac has Parnell at a $6 million cap hit in 2019, and he will be 33 years old by the time the season starts next year.  He may be a candidate for release.

So you would go for Fitzpatrick and a QB in round 1 or 2.  Considering the Raiders, Bucs and Giants all pick ahead of us in the draft standings, it's possible anywhere from 1-3 of those teams will want a QB in the first round.  You said you would not move up in the draft.  So then it's possible you may not draft a QB at all in the first two rounds if the teams that need QB ahead of you in round 1 take a QB, and there is competition for a guy like Grier at the bottom of the first and top of the 2nd round?  Would that make you a bad GM if you did not address an obvious hole at QB with more than Fitzpatrick?  Consider the reaction on the message board.  Caldwell took a swing at Bortles at 3rd overall in 2014 and missed, and did not take a swing at Mahomes or Watson last year and is getting killed for it now.

If you take a QB in round 1 or 2, how many draft picks do you allocate to build the OL?  Of those picks, how many do you anticipate starting?

What about the rest of the lack of offensive talent?  How many picks do you allocate to address WR, TE, RB?

For 6m, we’re not going to find a replacement for Parnell. Boselli was on the radio last week saying that Parnell is an above average RT that isn’t going to just be replaced by someone better just because we say so.  So I say, keep Parnell. 6m for a starter on the offensive line isn’t that much. Keep a starter especially considering how many holes we have to fill. No sense in creating more holes like we did when Caldwell took over in 2013.

Fitzpatrick is my guy I try desperately to sign. He is old but can still get the job done. He would provide us with the best qb play we’ve had in many years. Although he is also inconsistent, he’s capable, especially with a good defense.

If a QB “drops” to 7 I take a qb if I like him enough.  If I don’t, I take the best available player. Having Fitzpatrick would make me not panic and reaching or trading up.

We won’t be able to fill every single hole, but you try your best. I think this team still has a window to win and to make the playoffs.
With better luck on the injury front and Fitzpatrick, I think we can definitely compete for the playoffs.

As the new GM, you won’t be judged by one single off season. So this new GM can’t undo what Caldwell neglected over the past 5 years all in one offseason.  Getting a nice stopgap like Fitzpatrick would be a great start. 

Round 2: Grier, Lock, etc.  this is obviously not a finished product at qb but you’re drafting a talented guy who has a chance to sit and learn for 1-2 years. Would be better than having Bortles.

(12-31-2018, 08:44 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but has there every been a good NFL QB that came from an Urban Meyer team? Forget Haskins

Is there a rule that says that just because there hasn’t been, there never will be?

Has there ever been a good qb developed by Saban? No? Well, I guess teams are scratching Tua off their list next year completely.

This is a solid plan. I've been an advocate of getting Fitzpatrick for at least three years. We should have signed him when he got cut by the Jets. But isn't he under contract with the Bucs for 2019?

From everything I've read, the QB crop in this draft is mediocre. It would be better to wait a year. The problem with that is the Jags would still have to have another poor season to get a top QB in 2020, and we're slipping past our playoff window.

A new OC and DC are mandatory. We need a bright mind tuned to current NFL offensive strategy. Our defense under Wash has been OK, but I expect more from a defensive coordinator with Pro Bowl quality players at most positions. I have been impressed with Indy's DC. I believe McDaniels picked him before changing his mind about the head coaching job there. If so, maybe the Jags should change their mind, fire Marrone, and hire McDaniels.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-30-2018, 11:31 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Honestly I wish we were 1 QB away on the offense. We have good special teams and a winning defense. I would like some change but we are rolling with the stone age and 8-8. This team needs years of draft and development for offense.

(Emphasis added)

I have seen numerous similar references to the offensive philosophy, so I am not calling you out.

However, I'm curious as to what makes the approach we have had the last two years to be outdated, antiquated or obsolete such as to preclude functionality, much less competence or more?

This same scheme got us to 6th in scoring last year. 

This same scheme helped us put up 45 points (31 if you take away the defensive TD and the score obtained by giving us the ball at the Steelers' 20 or so by the Jack INT) against one of the top defenses in football last year.  At their place, in January, in 15 degree weather.

This same scheme controlled the entire first half in the AFC championship against the Patriots and was stopped only when we took the foot off the gas in the first half against perhaps the best defensive coach of all time.

Earlier this year, this same scheme went up against Belichick's Patriots again, putting up 31 points and 480 yards.

Two weeks later, this same scheme put up another 31 points and 503 yards against the Jets.

This same scheme produced these results with a QB situation nobody deems viable, and a receiving corps deemed "very poor" by a poster earlier in this thread.

Were the defensive coordinators referenced above (including Belichick) somehow fooled by this "stone age" scheme?

Did our scheme reach its "Best by date" week 5 of this year?  

Perhaps the emphasis on running the ball is what makes this approach outdated.  But if that's your theory, you also have to explain why EIGHT of the top ELEVEN teams in rushing yardage this year made the playoffs this year.  If the running game is a mere afterthought now, how can that be?  If they were averaging 80 yards a run, maybe I could see that, but they aren't.  Not even close.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-31-2018, 09:40 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 08:56 AM)SuperJville Wrote: For 6m, we’re not going to find a replacement for Parnell. Boselli was on the radio last week saying that Parnell is an above average RT that isn’t going to just be replaced by someone better just because we say so.  So I say, keep Parnell. 6m for a starter on the offensive line isn’t that much. Keep a starter especially considering how many holes we have to fill. No sense in creating more holes like we did when Caldwell took over in 2013.

This is a solid plan. I've been an advocate of getting Fitzpatrick for at least three years. We should have signed him when he got cut by the Jets. But isn't he under contract with the Bucs for 2019?

From everything I've read, the QB crop in this draft is mediocre. It would be better to wait a year. The problem with that is the Jags would still have to have another poor season to get a top QB in 2020, and we're slipping past our playoff window.

A new OC and DC are mandatory. We need a bright mind tuned to current NFL offensive strategy. Our defense under Wash has been OK, but I expect more from a defensive coordinator with Pro Bowl quality players at most positions. I have been impressed with Indy's DC. I believe McDaniels picked him before changing his mind about the head coaching job there. If so, maybe the Jags should change their mind, fire Marrone, and hire McDaniels.

Fitz has been around for a long time, and this year he played lights out for a while with Tampa.

The operative phrase is "while with Tampa."

The same Tampa that has Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson at WR, and OJ Howard at TE.  With Koetter/Monken calling the plays.

Koetter has since been fired, and we now have a n opening at OC.  Maybe we can get one of those guys to come here, and maybe we can get Fitz.

But those skill position guys?

Keep in mind, Fitz has been all over this QB desperate league and he has never stayed with any team for very long.

Is Fitz really the guy to whom you want to hitch this team's wagon if you are the GM?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-31-2018, 09:53 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 09:40 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: This is a solid plan. I've been an advocate of getting Fitzpatrick for at least three years. We should have signed him when he got cut by the Jets. But isn't he under contract with the Bucs for 2019?

Fitz has been around for a long time, and this year he played lights out for a while with Tampa.

The operative phrase is "while with Tampa."

The same Tampa that has Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson at WR, and OJ Howard at TE.  With Koetter/Monken calling the plays.

Koetter has since been fired, and we now have a n opening at OC.  Maybe we can get one of those guys to come here, and maybe we can get Fitz.

But those skill position guys?

Keep in mind, Fitz has been all over this QB desperate league and he has never stayed with any team for very long.

Is Fitz really the guy to whom you want to hitch this team's wagon if you are the GM?

Yes, Fitz is the guy. Show me a better option that’s actually possible.  Foles isn’t coming here. Eagles are happy he’s there and he’s about to make another playoff run with them. 
Who else is available?  Also consider that we don’t have any cap space. So even if there was a good FA qb out there, we don’t have the money to give him a bunch of money.

So yes, Fitzpatrick is the best option. Although he hasn’t been able to stick long term, he is better than Bortles, better than Gabbert, better than Kessler etc.  In fact I think he’s much better than those guys.  So just having him you are technically improved at the most important position. With good health and a good off season generally, we could make another playoff run with fitz.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(12-31-2018, 03:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 01:07 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: To be honest the team needs to revamp the whole offense from the top to the bottom.  The team may need to either cut or trade some defensive players to shift some serious cash on the offensive side of the ball.  New QB, RB, WR, TE, OLine, every aspect of the offense needs help right now.  I would be open to trade anyone on defense if the price is right.  We are a team who cannot score in an offensive driven league.  It's built totally backwards.

So if you are willing to trade away defensive starters to revamp the offense (presumably starting with the QB), would you be willing to deal with the losing to follow while the new offense gains experience and learns the new system and the defense can't keep us in games?

If the league is obviously an offensive driven league, what team will give you the "right price" for our stud defensive players?

I think we have to go BAP and roll with the pieces we have to stay "competitive".  We aren't a year away or close and we got heavy exposed this year.  I just don't see a one year out.  We went all in again and lost.  It is a bad bad pattern that we seem to run with as a franchise.  This is like 2000 and 2007 all over again.

Even patterns out....   2008 5-11 follow up record.  2018 5-11 follow up record.  This franchise is cursed.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 10:31 AM by Firesky.)

Priority 1 is getting out of "cap hell". Priority 2 is finding new coordinators for Offense AND Defense. After that it depends on a lot of things as one decision/factor could influence others, but overall:

1. Keep Fournette, re-sign Corey Grant (if the price is right), re-sign Josh Wells (if the price is right). Keep Bortles (until a better QB option is secured; if that's not possible play Blake for a year then cut him after 2019 for no dead money)

2. let Cann Walk, let Yeldon walk, let Moncrief walk. Try and restructure Dareus.

3. Cut Malik Jackson, cut Parnell, cut Hyde (if Grant resigns; although I kinda like Hyde :/ ).

4. Draft Dwayne Haskins. If he goes earlier than our pick ... Draft Deionte Thompson & cut Tashaun Gipson (Starting Safeties are now Harrison & Thompson; who actually played alongside each other at Alabama and already have chemistry). Draft a RG or RT in the first 3 rounds, and draft a TE early as well.

5. Trade Telvin Smith (he's a big contract/cap hit ... and he's a liability, he's a SS playing WLB at 215 pounds. he seems to always be in coverage getting burned over the middle, starts plays flat footed, misses/overshoots his gap assignments, and whiffs tackles (see the Watson TD week 17 and all of Derrick Henry's runs) Myles Jack is a STUD and is probably better off at WLB if we draft a thumping MLB. I know that shipping off Telvin is unlikely and I sincerely hope he has a bounceback year in 2019 but I just don't see it, he played far too poorly to justify his salary this past season. Our LB's are the reason our defense isn't clicking and we will continue to struggle defensively until both OLB spots are tangibly upgraded; how many more times must we be gashed by a mobile QB before it's addressed yet all i keep hearing is about how much speed we have at LB. Laughable.

6. If the haul is good trade Bouye too. Don't get this twisted I think he's very good and played through injury, but Meeks and Herndon look like good young pieces and Hayden has been a bright spot at nickel and can play outside in a pinch, $15 million is a hefty price tag; if we can't get any bites on decent draft picks in return then keep him, don't ship off talent needlessly.

7. Re-sign Jalen Ramsey, and re-sign Ngakoue ... basically use all the cap space we just created to retain those 2 players, (and re-sign Myles Jack for the amount you save in trading away Telvin; but that's a distant third as far as priority goes) Jalen and Yannick are integral to our defense's success.

We need to shed salary, acquire draft picks and fill holes, the stupid spending on things like Moncrief & Bortles last year REALLY set us back, while I know a lot of us want to reload and contend in 2019, there are too many enigmas and dominoes that need to fall to assure that's viable. I say try and take care of the future and let the future take care of the present. Burning all of our cap space to "win now" hurt us and looking at last year ... we didn't even win let alone "win now". Also on a final note, Shad should've cleaned house.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-31-2018, 10:29 AM)Firesky Wrote: Priority 1 is getting out of "cap hell". Priority 2 is finding new coordinators for Offense AND Defense. After that it depends on a lot of things as one decision/factor could influence others, but overall:

1. Keep Fournette, re-sign Corey Grant (if the price is right), re-sign Josh Wells (if the price is right). Keep Bortles (until a better QB option is secured; if that's not possible play Blake for a year then cut him after 2019 for no dead money)

2. let Cann Walk, let Yeldon walk, let Moncrief walk. Try and restructure Dareus.

3. Cut Malik Jackson, cut Parnell, cut Hyde (if Grant resigns; although I kinda like Hyde :/ ).

4. Draft Dwayne Haskins. If he goes earlier than our pick ... Draft Deionte Thompson & cut Tashaun Gipson (Starting Safeties are now Harrison & Thompson; who actually played alongside each other at Alabama and already have chemistry). Draft a RG or RT in the first 3 rounds, and draft a TE early as well.

5. Trade Telvin Smith (he's a big contract/cap hit ... and he's a liability, he's a SS playing WLB at 215 pounds. he seems to always be in coverage getting burned over the middle, starts plays flat footed, misses/overshoots his gap assignments, and whiffs tackles (see the Watson TD week 17 and all of Derrick Henry's runs) Myles Jack is a STUD and is probably better off at WLB if we draft a thumping MLB. I know that shipping off Telvin is unlikely and I sincerely hope he has a bounceback year in 2019 but I just don't see it, he played far too poorly to justify his salary this past season. Our LB's are the reason our defense isn't clicking and we will continue to struggle defensively until both OLB spots are tangibly upgraded; how many more times must we be gashed by a mobile QB before it's addressed yet all i keep hearing is about how much speed we have at LB. Laughable.

6. If the haul is good trade Bouye too. Don't get this twisted I think he's very good and played through injury, but Meeks and Herndon look like good young pieces and Hayden has been a bright spot at nickel and can play outside in a pinch, $15 million is a hefty price tag; if we can't get any bites on decent draft picks in return then keep him, don't ship off talent needlessly.

7. Re-sign Jalen Ramsey, and re-sign Ngakoue ... basically use all the cap space we just created to retain those 2 players, (and re-sign Myles Jack for the amount you save in trading away Telvin; but  that's a distant third as far as priority goes) Jalen and Yannick are integral to our defense's success.

We need to shed salary, acquire draft picks and fill holes, the stupid spending on things like Moncrief & Bortles last year REALLY set us back, while I know a lot of us want to reload and contend in 2019, there are too many enigmas and dominoes that need to fall to assure that's viable. I say try and take care of the future and let the future take care of the present. Burning all of our cap space to "win now" hurt us and looking at last year ... we didn't even win let alone "win now". Also on a final note, Shad should've cleaned house.

1. Honestly, u cant keep Fournette. U could keep Bortles as an option. With good play calling, he can be good.
2. I would keep Cann. I agree with everything else.
3. Try to restructure Malik. Do not cut Hyde.
4. STAY FAR AWAY FROM HASKINS. Trust me. You're gonna need more mobility behind this line. Don't cut Gipson. Why would you? Agree w/ the rest.
5. Trade Telvin? Over 1 bad year? Where he lead in tackles?
6. lol
7. Agreed

From your post, you basically want to rebuild. I don't think the Jags are thinking that way.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Here we go again.

“Bortles isn’t the problem. It’s the playcalling!”

Keep Bortles but don’t give Haskins a shot? Your QB evaluations are suspect at best.

(12-31-2018, 10:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Here we go again.

Keep Bortles but don’t give Haskins a shot? Your QB evaluations are suspect at best.

Im not sure Haskins is what you think he is. He has only started 13 games at Ohio State. He had a decent year but is still a jr. And who really does Ohio State Play? I cant see wasting a first round pick on someone who might be a project.

(12-31-2018, 11:07 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:

Im not sure Haskins is what you think he is. He has only started 13 games at Ohio State. He had a decent year but is still a jr. And who really does Ohio State Play? I cant see wasting a first round pick on someone who might be a project.
Hint. All rookies are projects.

He didn’t have a “decent” year. He had a great year. If he turns out to be an all-pro, is it a wasted pick? This team clearly needs an upgrade at QB and a QB who can actually become a franchise leader. Maybe that’s Haskins or maybe I’m wrong and he won’t be good.

This is actually one of the better threads posted on here in quite some time.

The problem with the salary cap was caused this last year when we went for broke trying to get to the Super Bowl. Signing Moncrief, D.J. Hayden, and Norwell in FA, and extending Bortles and Lee. Moncrief was a bust, D.J. Hayden was hurt and missed many games, Norwell was hurt all season and ineffective, Lee was never very good and should have been let go, but he's too expensive to cut next year, and Bortles should have just had his 5th year option exercised instead of extending him for 3 years.

But that's in the past and the only way to fix that salary cap mismanagement is by cutting expensive players.

Parnell is 33 years old and can no longer last an entire season. The Jags selected Will Richardson to be Parnell's replacement last year - may as well save the $6M in salary cap space and see if Will Richardson can fill the void.

Malik Jackson is definitely going to be cut. The Jags selected Bryan to be his replacement and he's better as a 3 technique playing inside anyway.

The Jags keep Campbell one more year, then turn the reigns over to Smoot on the outside. Smoot played better this year and he was decent against the run even if he didn't generate a lot of pass rush.

Gipson is a tough call. He's in the top 10 highest paid safeties in the league. I would think the Jags keep him at least another year to provide some stability with Harrison as the starting strong safety, but they draft a replacement in the mid-rounds (3rd or 4th).

Hyde will be gone. You don't pay $5M for an average backup RB, especially not with the money you're paying LF.

ASJ will be back out of necessity. There are no other decent TE's on the roster.

QB is the big question. Bortles is gone. I think the team goes the cheap route in FA, signing the cheapest of Flacco, Bridgewater, Taylor, or Fitzpatrick. Whoever they can get to come in for $10-15M for 1-2 seasons.

I hope they don't reach for Haskins. The Jags are not one QB away; they have multiple holes to fill and only the draft as a resource for filling them cheaply. The price has to be paid for the excessive spending in expensive free agency. Grier might be a possibility if he lasts until round 2. Lock is another Gabbert.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 11:51 AM by snowwolf776.)

well at this time right now no matter what jags do in draft i expect a loseing seasonn again next year. I still highly doubt dougs coaching abilty .bareing some kind of mircle.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Always great to respond to a fan.

Soooo....

I never said Blake wasn't the problem. I stated that he would be better with better play calling.

Also, you continue to say my QB evals are suspect but that's to you. That's your opinion of me. None of these guys have been drafted and some aent coming out so the official judgment of my evals arent out yet.

Nice try tho.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Bullseye I don't feel targeted by your comments and thanks for using my post to lay out a nice factual counter point. To answer your question on why we were successful with the stone age play in 2017, it was all about the turn overs and heat from the defense. This year the injuries killed the stone age offense to historical scoring lows. I was happy with some W's but our success was very opportunistic with injuries across the division and fortunate opportunity. Bortles has been a red flag his whole time here other than him being tough and durable as heck. I wish he had the football knowledge of leftwich because he would have been able to overcome his obvious disadvantages. He just never had it to develop. Rivers has a weak arm but he knows where to go with the ball and throws on time and to the right spots. We haven't seen anything close to that in Jacksonville. I did like the Fred and MJD hammer time team but we had some limits there as well. Honestly it was back in the Brunell days that I felt like the offense taking the field would produce points (well except when we played the Titans).

Buckle up 2019 looks brutal

Home: Colts, Texans, Titans, Chargers, Chiefs, Jets, Buccaneers, Saints
Away: Colts, Texans, Titans, Broncos, Raiders, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers

I bet Saints game is in London.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 12:55 PM by Firesky.)

(12-31-2018, 10:43 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 10:29 AM)Firesky Wrote: Priority 1 is getting out of "cap hell". Priority 2 is finding new coordinators for Offense AND Defense. After that it depends on a lot of things as one decision/factor could influence others, but overall:

7. Re-sign Jalen Ramsey, and re-sign Ngakoue ... basically use all the cap space we just created to retain those 2 players, (and re-sign Myles Jack for the amount you save in trading away Telvin; but  that's a distant third as far as priority goes) Jalen and Yannick are integral to our defense's success.

1. Honestly, u cant keep Fournette. U could keep Bortles as an option. With good play calling, he can be good.
2. I would keep Cann. I agree with everything else.
3. Try to restructure Malik. Do not cut Hyde.
4. STAY FAR AWAY FROM HASKINS. Trust me. You're gonna need more mobility behind this line. Don't cut Gipson. Why would you? Agree w/ the rest.
5. Trade Telvin? Over 1 bad year? Where he lead in tackles?
6. lol
7. Agreed

From your post, you basically want to rebuild. I don't think the Jags are thinking that way.

1 - Why can't we keep Fournette? Bortles is the placeholder, if we can't get our QB of choice in the draft and theres no one better in FA, keep him he played well early in the season.

2 - It depends on what the contract looks like, I think he's been below average and I'd rather play a rookie to get similar production. If he's cheap i'm ok with Cann coming back and competing for his spot.

3 - Hyde is tied to Fournette, if they get rid of one they won't get rid of the other; I like Hyde and he came into a tough situation not knowing the playbook, bad Oline etc. I would love to bring back Malik & Dareus but at their current cap hit's thats just not realistic. Malik's interview when he signed the contract was that he wants "all of it, all $90 million" I think he'd rather test the market than restructure, but hey we can at least try and see if he's amicable to a restructure, ditto for Dareus.

4 - Sorry if this wasn't clear. If they CAN'T get Haskins (we can disagree on him; personally i'd sit him a year rather than get him killed and David Carr syndromed behind this porous Oline) then you draft Deionte Thompson (he's the best safety to come out in some time, a bigger Earl Thomas who played alongside Harrison and has chemistry) if we DON'T draft Thompson and draft Devin White the LB from LSU etc. then you KEEP Gipson, you only let go of Gipson if his replacement has been secured.

5 - So you want to move on from LF27 after "one bad year" but not Telvin who has like triple the cap hit?!?!?! Telvin reminds me of Kirk Morrison; makes a ton of tackles ... just way off the line of scrimmage. Kirk Morrison led the team in tackles here too, and we moved on after the season. I hope i'm wrong but it seems we're paying Telvin an awful lot to underproduce, I think he's been exposed and figured out, if we trade him we get something back of value, if he underperforms again (which i think he will) then he's untradable and we're stuck in a bad contract at $10 million per year.

6 - Same deal as Gipson, you don't just get rid of him for no reason. If there's a good return (ex: late first round pick etc.) then yea pull the trigger, we shed a huge cap hit and gain a premium draft spot. It'd be a tough pill to swallow as I really like him as a player but shedding salary and getting a good draft pick is as big a win-win as I can think of.

7 - We agree, those 2 are the straws that stir the drink on Defense, we can't let them leave Duval.

I think we're not capable of a "reload" in that we're not just a few players away from contending. but we're not in need of a full on rebuild. We're in a weird spot drafting at #7 and sitting in QB purgatory with a bloated cap. It's a tricky situation and there's no "right way" or book of written instructions on how to do this.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 01:15 PM by JagsorDie.)

First off. thank you bullseye for always putting up good thought provoking threads, especially during times like these when most of us can only put threads that chastise the team, players, other board members, or all three.

on to your points.

1. As for addressing our roster through the draft. I have been thinking about it a lot lately and I honestly am still as up in the air about the subject as I was when it all started. First I would certainly use the 1 round pick, to address QB. I think it is our biggest need at this point and I think that even though the line and other positions need to be looked into, if we don't get someone that we believe is the long term answer (even if take a vet in fa I don't think he will be the long term answer) it is going to have very negative effect on this fan base. Whether it is grier or lock or if we make the trade to get haskins I think this FO has to address it first before we attack any other positions.  To add on to that, I think we should double down and draft another QB on top of the first pick. Personally I think we should use another pick and possibly go for Kyler Murray if he declares or if he doesn't I have heard rumblings that you could in fact still use a pick on someone in his situation even if he doesn't declare his intention for the off chance he doesn't cut in the mlb after he arrives.  I think if he does go for the NFL he is going to be an amazing talent in the league for years to come.

As far as vet qb's I think we will have to here what is rumbling around the league as we approach FA season because it just too early and there is not enough obvious talent that I see coming out to give a honest answer.

2. The offensive line certainly will need some attention. Even if it is not adding more big names in FA we have got to add depth. Ultimately I do not think we will see a year as bad as this one has been with injuries. But regardless it became obvious how shallow the depth really is on the line even in preseason when the 2's came in. We looked like absolute garbage iirc even when we trotted Kessler out against 2's and then as the season progressed those same men became our starters and we all know what happened from there. Whether it is draft or FA we have got to bring in some talent if not to start at least as a some solid depth. With cann hitting FA and parnell nearing the end, we need to address the right side of the line. As for how to do that I honestly don't know how deep the draft or FA will be.

3. As far as the man departing on D. I think we may have some of our answers already in house. I think that Abry jones looked very solid in the beginning of the season when he was called upon and I think we could honestly keep Jackson if we let Darius go which I know Is not popular. But I think jones could fill the roll of Darius better that Jackson and though Jackson had down year, he was very solid for is last season. so I would hope that this season is the outlier and not his productive ones with Denver and us. As for church I think that Harrison filled his roll nicely before being placed on IR so I think I would add depth there but the starters may already be in place.

4. TE certainly has to be bolstered and from my understanding there quite a few coming out in the draft so I would take the best available once we have properly addressed the QB. The WR position is hard get a gauge on what we have since this was such a off year for our QB's and line. I think Lee will add a lot and hope chark finds his own but I would put this as the third or fourth priority as far as essential need of offense behind QB, OL, and TE.

5. I am one of the few that is not on board with dumping 4nette just yet. I know he caught a lot of grief this season for injuries and attitude, but(like Jackson) I am willing to say this year was a outlier on his career if he bounces back with a big year next season. I think his potential production exceeds the risk of him having another bad season. Even so I still think we should look at some depth at the position through the draft or FA and also look at keep someone like Corey Grant who I think we missed more than we talk about this season. But I think this is the lowest of our priority positions to address on the offensive side of the ball.

Thanks again Bullseye, always fun reading through and replying to your threads.

(12-30-2018, 09:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Now that we know the front office triumvirate of Coughlin Caldwell and Marrone are slated to return to try to get this team back on a winning track, it is understandable and predictable that many are upset with the decision.

Knowing your bloodlust will not be sated with their jobs this year, what steps would you take to return this team to the playoffs in 2019?

Specifically:

1.  Knowing we are picking 7th in the draft, how would you address the QB situation?  Would you go strictly with a veteran QB?  If so, who?  Would you be willing to trade for a vet?  What are you willing to give up to get him?  Would you obtain a veteran QB to be a placeholder and draft a rookie QB?  If so, which veteran and which rookie?  Do you go specifically and primarily with a rookie signal caller?  At what point in the draft do you draft a QB?  Why?  Are you willing to trade up to get him?  If so, how far up are you willing to deal, and what are you willing to give up to get him?

2.  I have argued the main thing that sabotaged the team this year was injuries, specifically to the offensive line.  NYCJags has argued (not calling him out) the team did not provide sufficient depth along the OL to withstand the carnage to the team we saw this past season.  I believe there is some merit to that argument.  What would you do to fix the OL going into next season?  Keep in mind, Parnell is likely to be gone, and Cann is a free agent.  So you must come out of this offseason with no fewer than two starting caliber OL, and that's not even considering the depth requirements.  Also be mindful of the team's salary cap situation and the need for at least one, maybe two signal callers.  How do you re-stock and upgrade the offensive line and depth?  How many draft picks do you allocate to this area?  Which players would you like to see?  What about the players not leaving but returning from injury like Cam Robinson, Norwell and Linder? 

3.  What about replacements for departing defensive players like Malik Jackson and Barry Church?  Do you allocate any picks to the defensive side of the ball?  Do you think we have sufficient depth there?

4.  What about WR and TE?  It seems like it's been forever since we've had a guy who can command a defense's attention from the Y position, and almost as long since we've had a true stud # 1 WR.   How much attention do you give those positions?  Do you put off adequately stocking those positions in the hunt for a QB and stockpiling OL depth and starters?

5.  What do you do at RB?  Do you keep or dump Fournette?  If you desire to trade him away, what is the minimum amount you would take for him in trade?  Do you replace him with Kareem Hunt or allocate a draft pick to replace him?  What about Yeldon's and Grant's replacements?

I respectfully ask for specific detailed responses to these questions.

I'll respond even though I'm not one of the ones upset that Caldwell and Marrone weren't fired today.  I won't address all of your points at the moment, but here are my thoughts about the first set of questions.

1.  I happen to think that the team might be looking at a different direction regarding the draft/addressing the QB position.  Many people seem to think that the way to go is to "acquire a veteran QB to be a placeholder and draft a QB early in the draft".  There are a couple of problems with that philosophy though.  First, there aren't many veteran free agent QB's that would be willing to sign a "cap friendly" short term deal to be a "placeholder".  A good veteran free agent QB is going to cost some money and is going to want to come here to be the starter for a longer term (~3 years) which leads me to my second point regarding the draft.  This upcoming draft class is pretty weak, and just because some might be rated higher it doesn't mean that they are the answer.  Signing a good veteran free agent to say a 3 year deal or so would give some flexibility if "the candidate" is not in this upcoming draft class.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.