Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Class of 2013

Quote:Remember in 2013 when many were touting this draft class as one of the best Jags draft in recent years? Good times.
link?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016, 04:57 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Lol yeah i don't remember that. Now 2014, yes. 2013 not so much

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016, 05:45 PM by nhiverson.)

Cyprien can turn it around. He just has to make those key tackles hes been missing and turn his head when covering. Will he though?
No Fun

Quote:Cyprien can turn it around. He just has to make those key tackles hes been missing and turn his head when covering. Will he though?

During the Packers game my impression of him was he is always in the right place at the wrong time. He kept getting to the ball too late and let the receiver get a first down before tackling him.

They were talking about this on Jaguars Monday. Prisco wondered, if Gratz is cut, whether he'd be considered a bust. Of course, Boselli said no, being a 3rd rounder in a bad year. Then Prisco looked at the 3rd round. Honestly, I was shocked at the players drafted there - they joked that the 3rd rounders should have gone in the 1st, and honestly, that's probably true. There's some pretty decent players from the 3rd.

Quote:They were talking about this on Jaguars Monday. Prisco wondered, if Gratz is cut, whether he'd be considered a bust. Of course, Boselli said no, being a 3rd rounder in a bad year. Then Prisco looked at the 3rd round. Honestly, I was shocked at the players drafted there - they joked that the 3rd rounders should have gone in the 1st, and honestly, that's probably true. There's some pretty decent players from the 3rd.

It was a high third round pick. Maybe if we were a playoff team or traded with one in Round 3 it would be harder to call him a bust.

Quote:In fairness, just about the entire 2013 draft was really really bad.
^^^ This ^^^^

Quote:Remember in 2013 when many were touting this draft class as one of the best Jags draft in recent years? Good times.

At that point it just had to clear the Gene Smith bar. Which meant just drafting players who played in the power 5 and not 1AA "gems".

Overall the 2013 draft class was a let down. Out of that first round we may have seen three solid players and two legitimate superstar's in Ansah with the Lions and Hopkins with the tinhorns. Richardson for the Jets. Austin for the Rams. Bernard, Bell and Lacy were all 2nd RD picks at RB. All of them have been plenty capable and good players. The 3rd RD actually produced solid TE's. You had Reed and Kelce taken there. Keenan Allen at WR for SD was in there too. After those names it's a steep drop-off for the rest of the teams. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016, 08:19 AM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:link?

Google  is your friend

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/1/6/10...raft-class

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/04/2...-the-class

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/29/42...-afc-south

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_...ly-reviews

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/regrad...l-of-junk/

Even Prisco gave that Jaguars draft an A-

Quote:Google  is your friend

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/1/6/10...raft-class

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/04/2...-the-class

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/29/42...-afc-south

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_...ly-reviews

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/regrad...l-of-junk/

Even Prisco gave that Jaguars draft an A-
I know how to google.

You make the claim, you're charged with backing it up.

I thought you meant MB posters specifically.

It is hard to imagine that so many people who know so much could be so wrong......

and yet.... links!

Quote:I know how to google.

You make the claim, you're charged with backing it up.

I thought you meant MB posters specifically.

It is hard to imagine that so many people who know so much could be so wrong......

and yet.... links!

It's not like I was touting some obscure stat. A simple search of "Jaguars 2013 draft" would have answered your question, which is what I did and took less than 5 minutes. 

Regardless, the message board was universally high on the draft as well. That class also started out pretty well also. With the exception of Luke's injury, Cyp/Gratz/Ace/Evans/McCray/Denard all had solid rookie years (or at least showed flashes). That further gave a lot of people in the boards the belief that it was indeed, a good draft. 

Then Luke was Luke, Cyp and Evans didn't develop, Gratz and Dmac declined, Ace got suspended and it just got worse from there.

Quote:It's not like I was touting some obscure stat. A simple search of "Jaguars 2013 draft" would have answered your question, which is what I did and took less than 5 minutes. 

Regardless, the message board was universally high on the draft as well. That class also started out pretty well also. With the exception of Luke's injury, Cyp/Gratz/Ace/Evans/McCray/Denard all had solid rookie years (or at least showed flashes). That further gave a lot of people in the boards the belief that it was indeed, a good draft. 

Then Luke was Luke, Cyp and Evans didn't develop, Gratz and Dmac declined, Ace got suspended and it just got worse from there.

I agree except for the Evans bit.  I thought he stunk it up pretty bad from the get go. But most of the class at least flashed at some point  - and many of us were generally stoked to see anything not choreographed by Gene Smith. 

Seemed like a pretty good haul at the time. 

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016, 02:06 PM by Kane.)

Quote:It's not like I was touting some obscure stat. A simple search of "Jaguars 2013 draft" would have answered your question, which is what I did and took less than 5 minutes. 

I think it speaks more to the state of the roster at the time.

Those 2013 players were key players, by need.

Obviously it was a new era so a lot of fans thought it was the best draft in awhile (because it outdid Gene by miles)

I just don't think that majority of fans were impressed with the draft in 2013.

Especially the selection of Joker when Monroe was rostered.

But yeah a lot of people were high on it. Something I didn't quite remember being a league wide view.

And like I said before, you make the claim you are charged with backing it up.. I don't need to go googling... you do lol

Also... considering the Gene drafts... 2013 probably was the best in some time...

2014 topped any of it though.

Quote:I could see the O-line continue to get bolstered. Especially if we manage to land outside the top ten.

At this point, Gus (or the next staff) will have a lot of pieces in place and DC should be able to draft mostly for depth.

Both lines. LBers.

I'd say SS is a good possibility in the first 3 rounds though.
I think the priorities for next season are

1. Pass Rushing linebacker or OTTO

2. Offensive line Depth

3. Strong Safety

4. Tight End Depth

I know there are questions about Bortles but for good or bad, he will be the Jags QB for the next few seasons

Quote:I think the priorities for next season are

1. Pass Rushing linebacker or OTTO

2. Offensive line Depth

3. Strong Safety

4. Tight End Depth

I know there are questions about Bortles but for good or bad, he will be the Jags QB for the next few seasons
I actually completely forgot about TE.

I could see this being Lewis' final year. If Thomas can't put together a full season, we may have to draft one.

I sure hope we're not searching for an "OTTO" linebacker after this year.

New staff won't have it. Current staff should dump it.

Quote:I think it speaks more to the state of the roster at the time.

Those 2013 players were key players, by need.

Obviously it was a new era so a lot of fans thought it was the best draft in awhile (because it outdid Gene by miles)

I just don't think that majority of fans were impressed with the draft in 2013.

Especially the selection of Joker when Monroe was rostered.

But yeah a lot of people were high on it. Something I didn't quite remember being a league wide view.

And like I said before, you make the claim you are charged with backing it up.. I don't need to go googling... you do lol

Also... considering the Gene drafts... 2013 probably was the best in some time...

2014 topped any of it though.

It's a pain going through this board since it really doesn't have a good search feature, but there are many who were ecstatic about that draft. I know this, because I was one of the few who cautioned those people exactly of what you talked about...it was difficult to say whether players were flashing because the roster was so barren or because they are legitimately good players. I even cited back then the example of Gene Smith's first draft (Monroe, Britton, Cox, Potroast, Mike Thomas, Jennings, Zach Miller), which was blasted at the time of the draft, and then during the season looked pretty good as Monroe and Eben started, Cox and Potroast looked like legit starters, Thomas looked like a starting slot WR, and Jennings/Miller flashing potential. Of course, we all know how that draft actually looks like now.

It was the same to Dave's first draft, except it was heralded as a good draft by experts and fans, lived up to the billing the first season, then went downhill as the years went by.

Quote:It's a pain going through this board since it really doesn't have a good search feature, but there are many who were ecstatic about that draft. I know this, because I was one of the few who cautioned those people exactly of what you talked about...it was difficult to say whether players were flashing because the roster was so barren or because they are legitimately good players. I even cited back then the example of Gene Smith's first draft (Monroe, Britton, Cox, Potroast, Mike Thomas, Jennings, Zach Miller), which was blasted at the time of the draft, and then during the season looked pretty good as Monroe and Eben started, Cox and Potroast looked like legit starters, Thomas looked like a starting slot WR, and Jennings/Miller flashing potential. Of course, we all know how that draft actually looks like now.

It was the same to Dave's first draft, except it was heralded as a good draft by experts and fans, lived up to the billing the first season, then went downhill as the years went by.

Isn't it a bit odd how Miller is sneakily becoming the best player out of that whole draft?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

In fairness, people thought we had coaches who could actually develop players. Who knows how Cyprien and Gratz would have turned out had they had proper coaching?

However it appears that Joeckel was not a coaching failure, just a mediocre talent.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Overall the 2013 draft class was a let down. Out of that first round we may have seen three solid players and two legitimate superstar's in Ansah with the Lions and Hopkins with the tinhorns. Richardson for the Jets. Austin for the Rams. Bernard, Bell and Lacy were all 2nd RD picks at RB. All of them have been plenty capable and good players. The 3rd RD actually produced solid TE's. You had Reed and Kelce taken there. Keenan Allen at WR for SD was in there too. After those names it's a steep drop-off for the rest of the teams. 
Tyrann Mathieu was taken in that draft a few picks after Gratz. He is a star. Also Kawaan Short for the Panthers who dominated the superbowl.