Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Credit to DeFilippo

(09-20-2019, 01:39 PM)TJBender Wrote: I'm not sure how much of it is Three-point-fournette, honestly. Carlos Hyde looked like crap here last year, and he did a number on us behind the Texans' OL. Really the only OL we have that I would say is a solid starter or better is Linder, and he's an injury waiting to happen. Norwell hasn't played up to his contract, Taylor's a rookie that loves to hold, Robinson is going to take time to get back up to speed, and A.J. Cann's picture is right next to "godawful" in the dictionary. I'm not saying that Three-point-fournette is necessarily any good, but I am saying that our OL has been pretty consistently awful the last couple of years, and that's coincided with his decline from a promising rookie season.

Valid.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-20-2019, 04:04 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 03:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: Did some digging

Small sample size stat but Fournettes ypc on different downs:

1st down : 24 attempts 110 yards 4.6 ypc

2nd down: 14 attempts 41 yards 2.9 ypc

3rd down : 4 attempts 27 yards 6.8 ypc

Ypc doesn't tell you the full story bout a run game at all but something to monitor at least

Does that include the 69-yard run from last night?

Yep

(09-20-2019, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 02:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: Most of our early down runs seem to be via heavier sets though. Changing that up would help some

*seem*

Yeah 4 or 5 of their run stuffs last night was via telegraphed early down runs, same Vs Texans.

Too predictable

(09-20-2019, 05:42 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: Too predictable

If your interior blocking isn't holding up you have to be more creative. Can't be predictable AND have ineffective blocking or you're just wasting plays

(09-20-2019, 05:44 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 05:42 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: Too predictable

If your interior blocking isn't holding up you have to be more creative. Can't be predictable AND have ineffective blocking or you're just wasting plays

Agreed. At this point, Norwell looks like a bust. The young OT's are struggling to open lanes and as soon as we line up, it's obvious when we are in a run formation. When you can't open running lanes, you have to be more creative with your play calling and hiding your plays. It just isn't happening so far. Something is gonna have to change quickly. Minshew is gonna have to get some help from the ground game at some point.

(09-20-2019, 02:01 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Blocking wasnt good but Fournette was still missing some holes.  He runs right to where the play is designed and if nothing is there, he is dead in the water.  Ultimate tunnel vision.  It's just amazing how infrequent there is a hole where the play is designed to go.

My husband and I were talking about this last night. 

Is he a "gotta go by the play even if I run into a wall?" guy, or a "if the play means I hit a wall but there's a hole over there, do I hit the hole?" kind of gut. Obviously he's the "run the play" guy. No improvisation at all. Maybe the coach gets mad if he improvises too much instead of sticking to the play. 

I say if the play sucks then improvise. But that's me.

Play calling is way too conservative. It is really hindering continuity in the passing game. Need more passes downfield over the stacked box. Box that has been stacked 42% of the time. All those stupid sideline screens with the safeties in the box? This scheme is rank putrid crap that has kept this team in such a lack luster state the past two decades. It by no means resembles the thunder and lightning of the best offense the NFL had seen with it emerged on the scene three decades ago.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2019, 09:14 PM by I am Yoda.)

(09-20-2019, 06:17 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 02:01 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Blocking wasnt good but Fournette was still missing some holes.  He runs right to where the play is designed and if nothing is there, he is dead in the water.  Ultimate tunnel vision.  It's just amazing how infrequent there is a hole where the play is designed to go.

My husband and I were talking about this last night. 

Is he a "gotta go by the play even if I run into a wall?" guy, or a "if the play means I hit a wall but there's a hole over there, do I hit the hole?" kind of gut. Obviously he's the "run the play" guy. No improvisation at all. Maybe the coach gets mad if he improvises too much instead of sticking to the play. 

He doesn't do change of direction very well.  The couple of times he tried it last night, he fell down all by himself. but that could also have been poor cleats.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Fournette was good in college and good as a rookie.
I don't think he's lost a step.
If he wasn't trying hard, he wouldn't have broken off that long run.
He's just not finding holes.
Perhaps defensive coordinators have keyed into some tells that he gives about where the run will be going, or if it will be a run.

What do you think?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-20-2019, 09:14 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 06:17 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: My husband and I were talking about this last night. 

He doesn't do change of direction very well.  The couple of times he tried it last night, he fell down all by himself.  but that could also have been poor cleats.

True. He's got the "wheelbase" of a Silverado when he needs one of an F-150.

(09-20-2019, 01:02 AM)JagJohn Wrote: This hasn't been mentioned in here too much, bit I feel this guy deserves mad credit for what he's done so far. Our passing game looks good! It's been a long time since we've been able to say that. Obviously, Minshew is a big part of that, but DeFilippo has done an excellent job creating an offense that fits our strengths... Now to get the running game going...

Future HC candidate?

Yes, there are elements to the passing game I have liked so far.

I can only imagine those things would be more evident with a credible receiving threat at TE and a functioning running game.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-20-2019, 05:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 04:04 PM)TJBender Wrote: Does that include the 69-yard run from last night?

Yep

I sure hope that run was on first down lol

So here's a valid question: let's assume that the team goes 6-10, but Minshew holds down the starting job and looks like the real deal by the end of the year. Not Tom Brady numbers, but the sort of numbers you'd expect from a rookie who's got a bright future. At 6-10, you have to fire Marrone, right? But assuming you didn't want to promote Flip to HC, would you tell coaching candidates that he stays on as OC no matter what because of how well he's developing Minshew?

I ask because typically rookie QBs don't end up starting on playoff teams, which means lots of them get a new HC in their second or third season. The world is littered with young QBs who were forced to learn multiple systems from multiple coordinators in a short amount of time and never recovered from it. If you do clean house and bring in a new coach, do you let him choose his coordinator or keep Flip around? Or do you go the Cleveland route and just promote Flip to HC for continuity's sake?

(09-21-2019, 01:47 AM)TJBender Wrote: So here's a valid question: let's assume that the team goes 6-10, but Minshew holds down the starting job and looks like the real deal by the end of the year. Not Tom Brady numbers, but the sort of numbers you'd expect from a rookie who's got a bright future. At 6-10, you have to fire Marrone, right? But assuming you didn't want to promote Flip to HC, would you tell coaching candidates that he stays on as OC no matter what because of how well he's developing Minshew?

I ask because typically rookie QBs don't end up starting on playoff teams, which means lots of them get a new HC in their second or third season. The world is littered with young QBs who were forced to learn multiple systems from multiple coordinators in a short amount of time and never recovered from it. If you do clean house and bring in a new coach, do you let him choose his coordinator or keep Flip around? Or do you go the Cleveland route and just promote Flip to HC for continuity's sake?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...nsGa00.htm

If Minshew keeps at his current statistical pace, he will finish the year with approximately a 25-5 TD-INT ratio and 3400 yards passing with a 73.9 completion percentage.

I would be hard pressed to see this team winning only 6 games if he sustains his current pace.

(09-21-2019, 01:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:47 AM)TJBender Wrote: So here's a valid question: let's assume that the team goes 6-10, but Minshew holds down the starting job and looks like the real deal by the end of the year. Not Tom Brady numbers, but the sort of numbers you'd expect from a rookie who's got a bright future. At 6-10, you have to fire Marrone, right? But assuming you didn't want to promote Flip to HC, would you tell coaching candidates that he stays on as OC no matter what because of how well he's developing Minshew?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...nsGa00.htm

If Minshew keeps at his current statistical pace, he will finish the year with approximately a 25-5 TD-INT ratio and 3400 yards passing with a 73.9 completion percentage.

I would be hard pressed to see this team winning only 6 games if he sustains his current pace.

I would be hard pressed to see him sustaining his current pace. Not a knock against Minshew, but I mustache you a question: how many sixth-round QBs can you think of that have ended their rookie season by starting 15 games, completing 70% of their passes and keeping their INTs in the single digits? I want it to happen, but especially in an offense as aggressive as Flip's, there will come a point at which defenses either figure out how to slow Minshew down or figure out how to slow the offense down.

But yeah, maybe 6-10 is a bit low if Minshew holds up and we find a running back.

(09-21-2019, 03:06 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...nsGa00.htm

I would be hard pressed to see him sustaining his current pace. Not a knock against Minshew, but I mustache you a question: how many sixth-round QBs can you think of that have ended their rookie season by starting 15 games, completing 70% of their passes and keeping their INTs in the single digits? I want it to happen, but especially in an offense as aggressive as Flip's, there will come a point at which defenses either figure out how to slow Minshew down or figure out how to slow the offense down.

But yeah, maybe 6-10 is a bit low if Minshew holds up and we find a running back.

Well played Sir!  

I can't see him maintaining this current pace, either.
Furthermore I don't know of many players irrespective of draft position that could maintain that kind of pace. I do know that I'm happy with what we've gotten out of him so far. Under the circumstances we've gotten excellent play.

Without answering your other questions, I think the expectation for Marrone is to make the playoffs. No playoffs = no job.

(09-21-2019, 03:06 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...nsGa00.htm

I mustache you a question in return good sir!  Why must you obsess over Marrone so hard? We just beat the hated tittians, embarrased them in front of the nation even. Why must every post of yours come back to firing the coach, such that you create implausible negative scenarios to have a reason to do so? This team could easily be 5 and 3 when Foles is ready and we have an honest to diety controversy, why the need to fixate on the coach?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Every time Minshew goes under center (versus shotgun) it's a run to Fournette. Pretty hard to figure out.