Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Candidates

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2016, 03:33 PM by D6.)

Quote:Saints' fan seem to be wanting Payton fired. We should be all over that guy if he is let go.

The Saints salary cap situation and injuries on Defense have put Sean Payton in an impossible situation.   If the Jaguars have the fortune to be able to hire Payton,  basically let him fill out the financial terms on the contract.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Les Miles? LMBO. The guy can't even win with 5 star recruits.

Quote:Saints' fan seem to be wanting Payton fired. We should be all over that guy if he is let go.

Hell yes.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:  The Saints salary cap situation and injuries on Defense have put Sean Payton in an impossible situation.   If the Jaguars have the fortune to be able to hire Payton,  basically let him fill out the financial terms on the contract.  
Didn't they just give Payton a monster extension this past offseason?

If the Saints fire Payton, I hope he becomes our next coach.

If not, I'd be interested in Pete Carmichael Jr or Rick Dennison as far as new guys go.  I know people want an experienced HC, and I get that.  But if we do hire someone without experience, those two are the ones I'd want to see get a shot.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Marty Schottenheimer

Quote:I'd offer Tom Coughlin whatever he needs to be the coach.

If that don't work, I would reach out to Manning.

I hadn't thought of this.  And being the HC is about leadership, not about Xs and Os.  Peyton Manning has that in spades.  And you know the guy is maniacal about preparation.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Quote:I hadn't thought of this. And being the HC is about leadership, not about Xs and Os. Peyton Manning has that in spades. And you know the guy is maniacal about preparation.

Manning took a verbal crap on the Jaguars during the comedy central roast. He wouldn't even be interested.

Quote:Didn't they just give Payton a monster extension this past offseason?

That's indeed contract.

Chances are Sean Payton will remain with the Saints at least through the 2017 season.   Yet,  so much can happen between now and the off-season.   It's possible that if the Saints need to go into a full rebuilding mode  ( despite Drew Brees' contract extension ),  the Saints and Payton would agree to go in different directions.   Whether this would include trade compensation for Payton is another possible question?

Coughlin

McDaniels

Mike Smith

Todd Haley? (Nut job)
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Jim Harbaugh

Tom Coughlin

Sean Payton

Todd Haley

Pete Clements

Urban Meyer

David Shaw

Nick Saban

Sean Payton please

Saban is intriguing to me because I wonder if he's learned / grown from that disaster he had in Miami.

Coughlin is a neat idea, but I really don't think it'll happen. I know that he won't know anyone in the building, but I just feel like it'd be like coming back to the one that kicked you out. 

I used to be on the Les Miles (sp?) train, but I'm not certain that he has the organizational skills to be a long-term, successful NFL Head Coach.

As I stated before, I am not convinced that hiring the "latest, hottest Coordinator" is really the key to success. You need a guy to set a tone in the building and to organize the crew so that everyone knows their role, they know what success looks like in terms of their particular role so that they can self correct and they know the level to which they are expected to perform.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Saban is intriguing to me because I wonder if he's learned / grown from that disaster he had in Miami.

Coughlin is a neat idea, but I really don't think it'll happen. I know that he won't know anyone in the building, but I just feel like it'd be like coming back to the one that kicked you out. 

I used to be on the Les Miles (sp?) train, but I'm not certain that he has the organizational skills to be a long-term, successful NFL Head Coach.

As I stated before, I am not convinced that hiring the "latest, hottest Coordinator" is really the key to success. You need a guy to set a tone in the building and to organize the crew so that everyone knows their role, they know what success looks like in terms of their particular role so that they can self correct and they know the level to which they are expected to perform.

I think if Miami had gotten Brees, Saban would still be a coach in the NFL.

Quote:I think if Miami had gotten Brees, Saban would still be a coach in the NFL.

Maybe, but would Saban have put Brees to use to the level that Payton did? Saban was fresh out of LSU where his teams easily averaged more runs per game than passes. Payton and Brees were / are a match made in heaven. I think it took Brees to move to that kind of an aggressive mentality in order for him to really blow up.

The point is, I don't really care what kind of Offense or Defense the man runs. I just want him to be a capable Leader that can run an organization.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

No thanks to Saban.  He left for the college ranks, leaving Miami, and I think he'd do it again as soon as things turned south.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Not saying I want them but just throwing names around: Jim Mora Jr, Ken Wisenhount, Jim Shwartz,Wade Phillips,Mike Smith,and Lane Kiffin all have NFL HC experience

Quote:Not saying I want them but just throwing names around: Jim Mora Jr, Ken Wisenhount, Jim Shwartz,Wade Phillips,Mike Smith,and Lane Kiffin all have NFL HC experience

Off all those names, Mora is the one that intrigues me.

Wiz never seemed to get things going in Tennessee although that Arizona team he had did very well so he could be a dark horse. Schwartz and Phillips seem like guys who are better off coaching Defenses than running whole teams, Mike Smith just seemed out of his depth as a Header and Kiffin is quite possibly insane. 

Two college Headers whose names keep popping into my head is Mark Dantonio of Michigan State and TCU's Gary Patterson. Neither of them have NFL experience and that is worrisome but in the case of Dantonio, he has been very consistent while only posting one losing season his whole time with the Spartans. Patterson's Horned Frog teams regularly put talent into the NFL and have thrown out some very good Defenses over the years.

Big no to Saban. While he is a fantastic coach, his major advantage lies in that he has a huge talent advantage in every game he coaches. He's not an NFL guy...an all time college great? Absolutely.

If Payton is available, I think you have to go all in on him. My only concern would be is who he hires as a DC and if he gives them full control. Payton would no doubt get the best out of the all the talent on the offense. Our D has been rebuilt and should continue to get better over the next few years with Jackson still being in his prime as well as Gipson, Ramsey/Jack/Fowler/Ngakoue being young core guys. 

We also will have another high draft pick this year if the season keeps going the way it is.

Quote:Big no to Saban. While he is a fantastic coach, his major advantage lies in that he has a huge talent advantage in every game he coaches
. He's not an NFL guy...an all time college great? Absolutely.

If Payton is available, I think you have to go all in on him. My only concern would be is who he hires as a DC and if he gives them full control. Payton would no doubt get the best out of the all the talent on the offense. Our D has been rebuilt and should continue to get better over the next few years with Jackson still being in his prime as well as Gipson, Ramsey/Jack/Fowler/Ngakoue being young core guys. 

We also will have another high draft pick this year if the season keeps going the way it is.

The Trent Richardson's, Courtney Upshaw's and Greg McIlroy's of the League / football world disagree with you. Does he have a talent advantage? Yes, in a lot of cases I think he does because you cannot deny the presence of guys like Julio Jones and Amari Cooper, but I would argue that the talent gap is not "huge". His stance of demanding that his team be prepared is what makes it seem like he has more talent than anyone else. At least, in my opinion.

That being said, I don't think he's a good fit for coaching grown men. I think he'll run the risk of alienating himself from the players with his style.