Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So are we sure Caldwell doesn't deserve criticism?

Quote:Caldwell finding talent is not the issue.

Him keeping Gus is my only complaint.

Gus was hand picked by Caldwell for the job.  Any way you look at it, Caldwell is on the hook for this team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dave Caldwell is undoubtedly an overrated GM by this fan base, in my view. The influx of talent we laud may not be as pronounced, relatively speaking. But because we've been bad for so long, we are quick to dish praises his way.

Funnily, we were never laughing stocks or so readily blown out in the 'average' days of Shack and JDR. Gene Smith's dismantling made Caldwell's average output thus far appear better than it has been. We are still middle tier at best personnelwise, from top to bottom. Key injuries to other teams and how they've adjusted and still compete well, is my indicator. Take Bortles and Telvin out, we'll probably go 1-15. That tells me, the shelves are not nearly as stocked as we imagine.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Really, you're still offering alibis for Gus?

Sure, with 20/20 hindsight Caldwell could have done better. There are no perfect GMs out there.

If you want to point out the 2013 draft failure, let me point out that all of those players were as good as rookies as they have ever been with this team. That points to a total lack of player development, not bad drafting. Maybe all eight of them were incapable of ever improving, but the odds against that are astronomical. That's also true of Telvin and Colvin from 2014, and Bennett from 2015 (Fowler and Sample have no record to compare against), so it applies to every defensive draft pick with a history for analysis. Only the offensive draft picks have developed on this team.
who is offering alibis for Gus? I said in the first sentence he sucks b
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

GMs are gonna miss. Even Bill Polian and Scott Pioloi have major misses on there resume. The thing is to hit more than miss. Caldwell has been able to find players through the draft. He even found a few undrafted guys. Player acquisition is not the issue in my mind.

I'd say Dave is safe. If they fired him too I'm not sure I'd feel sad about it at this point, but I think he's done a pretty good job of drafting. Not as well with free agents and he definitely does better with Offense than Defense, but 3 out 4 drafts have been very solid. 

#Browns waiver pickup Tyrone Holmes played 10 snaps, per PFF. He had three quarterback hurries during his limited time.

Daves fault.

Quote:Dave Caldwell is undoubtedly an overrated GM by this fan base, in my view. The influx of talent we laud may not be as pronounced, relatively speaking. But because we've been bad for so long, we are quick to dish praises his way.

Funnily, we were never laughing stocks or so readily blown out in the 'average' days of Shack and JDR. Gene Smith's dismantling made Caldwell's average output thus far appear better than it has been. We are still middle tier at best personnelwise, from top to bottom. Key injuries to other teams and how they've adjusted and still compete well, is my indicator. Take Bortles and Telvin out, we'll probably go 1-15. That tells me, the shelves are not nearly as stocked as we imagine.

I'd agree if the rest of the league didn't notice the talent on this roster. I'm in Texas and the people out here know the talent we have on our team. Trust me, other fans bases have been paying attention and feel the jags and raiders are next in line.

The coaching is the issue here. That is a critique on Caldwell I think is valid but the roster has talent.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 11:29 AM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:#Browns waiver pickup Tyrone Holmes played 10 snaps, per PFF. He had three quarterback hurries during his limited time.

Daves fault.
They cut a guy like Holmes who has an insane upside (with a high floor as well), and keep a guy like Chris Smith who's been INACTIVE for both games. There's a lot of incompetence in the front office and on that coaching staff.

Quote:Gus was hand picked by Caldwell for the job. Any way you look at it, Caldwell is on the hook for this team.

I'm not sure why you think I think differently.

He has one more chance to get it right at head coach or he's done.

It's hard to think a different coach couldn't get Fowler, Yannick, Jackson, Odrick, Marks, Telvin, Jack, Ramsey, House, Amukamara and Gipson to least middle of the pack. Damn we don't need an all pro roster to be a decent defense. We have players.

I was thinking about this same thing yesterday.  I mean people say there's talent and maybe there is but it hasn't really shown itself.  While I still believe that the sorry coaching is holding the team back, who really knows at this point. 

Quote:Lol at "coulda had Khalil Mack"

He has 0 sacks. Fowler has 2.
Fowler has 2 sacks Mack only had 4 as Rookie. Fowler is basically a rookie.

Of course Caldwell deserves criticism. No one should be safe if we finish with another 5 or less win season. However, Caldwell is the best GM this franchise has ever had. He has a great eye for talent. Caldwell just didn't pick a good coach, which is understandable for a at-the-time rookie GM. No good, experienced coaches would have taken over THAT roster that Gene Smith left us with. If Gus gets fired, Caldwell would be the reason we are able to attain a good coach... he has this roster loaded with young talent. Gus is just not a good developer of talent, and he doesn't know how to adjust his scheme to put the best players on the field. I thought we might have had the horses to run this stupid scheme, but ultimately, the coaches need to adjust to the talent they have. Stop forcing the damn scheme when it ain't working!
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:GMs are gonna miss. Even Bill Polian and Scott Pioloi have major misses on there resume. The thing is to hit more than miss. Caldwell has been able to find players through the draft. He even found a few undrafted guys. Player acquisition is not the issue in my mind.

Cade in point. How many hits? Are they truly hits? Do they signficantly outweigh the misses? Who are your misses in the starting lineup? Classify Skuta, Odrick, House, Gratz, Cyp, Yeldon, Thomas, Joke... I see a lot of just guys and liabilities in this list. Will leave the newcomers out for now till we see more.

I think we are just a bit too quick to declare how 'talented' the team is overall. That roster yesterday looked bottom tier, eye test wise. Everyone has horrid days indeed. They surely looked out of sorts yesterday. Time will tell.

I like what Dave has done. All GMs have moves they'd like back, but Caldwell should be retained regardless of what happens the rest of the year. Gus will likely lose his job and Caldwell can keep the consistency in the front office while we court Todd Haley or some other established coach to take the reins. He picked Gus to do a job and Gus couldn't deliver. Not sure we should axe Caldwell just because of that. He deserves the chance to make amends with a new coach (barring a huge turn around the rest of this season).
Only a chump boos the home team!

Case* in point. Funnily, we quoted each other's takes concurrently

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM by Sarg.)

Speaking as a fan of a rival team, Caldwell's been tough to evaluate in terms of draft success. His best picks have been pretty obvious early round choices - Bortles + Ramsey/Jack. Though I personally believed Joeckel was a 4th round talent, at the time, all the draft "experts" had him as a consensus top 5 (many as #1 overall) - it's easy to see how a rookie GM would feel pressure not to buck that at a position of major need. I considered Fowler to be over-drafted at #3 overall, but it wasn't crazy as he was certainly a first round talent. This felt like a place where the Jags should have dropped back a few slots, though the actual pick is fine. I liked all his second rounders except Yeldon. Cyprien was over-drafted a bit for a borderline 1st/2nd rounder at a non-premium position.

Later rounds however ... wow, it's not good. The only fantastic pick was Michael Bennett. Pretty much the only Jags' 3rd-or-later pick in the last few years to make me go "darn, I wanted him for my team". I'll grant the 2014 class was better than what Jags have been getting for a long while, but I see it as only being about NFL average apart from Bortles. In any draft class, unless you're drafting below #20 you should be looking for two difference makers in their first season, a third guy who becomes a difference maker in his second season and two people who can be groomed into serviceable starters.  

Long story short, Caldwell hit on the most important picks, but performed poorly late. Some of his bigger successes have been obvious picks, so the question is: Lucky or good? He didn't do anything to cause Jack's knee to make him fall to the second round, after all. Tough to make a call here. I honestly don't know the answer.

His free agency moves have not looked good, but then again with recent Jaguars history signing FAs is a lot rougher for him than for many other teams. The only real motivator available to him is pure pocketbook ... and of course any GM needs to use that particular tool sparingly or he puts his team in cap trouble.

Caldwell is not the problem Gus Badly is the issue. 

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

I absolutely believe he has done a good job thus far and don't think he's remotely close to a hot seat.

But I also think we've over cedited his output thus far. The team is not stacked.

Quote:Speaking as a fan of a rival team, Caldwell's been tough to evaluate in terms of draft success. His best picks have been pretty obvious early round choices - Bortles + Ramsey/Jack. Though I personally believed Joeckel was a 4th round talent, at the time, all the draft "experts" had him as a consensus top 5 (many as #1 overall) - it's easy to see how a rookie GM would feel pressure not to buck that at a position of major need. I considered Fowler to be over-drafted at #3 overall, but it wasn't crazy as he was certainly a first round talent. This felt like a place where the Jags should have dropped back a few slots, though the actual pick is fine. I liked all his second rounders except Yeldon. Cyprien was over-drafted a bit for a borderline 1st/2nd rounder at a non-premium position.

Later rounds however ... wow, it's not good. The only fantastic pick was Michael Bennett. Pretty much the only Jags' 3rd-or-later pick in the last few years to make me go "darn, I wanted him for my team". I'll grant the 2014 class was better than what Jags have been getting for a long while, but I see it as only being about NFL average apart from Bortles. In any draft class, unless you're drafting below #20 you should be looking for two difference makers in their first season, a third guy who becomes a difference maker in his second season and two people who can be groomed into serviceable starters.  

Long story short, Caldwell hit on the most important picks, but performed poorly late. Some of his bigger successes have been obvious picks, so the question is: Lucky or good? He didn't do anything to cause Jack's knee to make him fall to the second round, after all. Tough to make a call here. I honestly don't know the answer.

His free agency moves have not looked good, but then again with recent Jaguars history signing FAs is a lot rougher for him than for many other teams. The only real motivator available to him is pure pocketbook ... and of course any GM needs to use that particular tool sparingly or he puts his team in cap trouble.

You lost a lot of credibility with this post my man, Telvin Smith says "hello". Michael has been and will likely be a complete non factor.