Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack not Starting or atleast playing in Nickel

Quote:We did get gashed on the ground early on. But they settled down after that initial onslaught. I think Skuta is more likely to lose his job than Poz. Its still a concern how Myles would be able to take on the role of SLB.

Maybe Jack's athleticism allows him to make plays. But so far, I've seen more mental mistakes from him that leads me to believe that he's simply not just ready to supplant Telvin or Jack on a full-time basis. He'll get his snaps for sure, especially if Poz/Skuta continues to struggle against the pass.
We aren't playing good defense with the current LB's... how can it be bad to get our young stud in there?  someone who can make plays?  is this mythical otto position really impossible for him to play?  I mean come on... do you really buy that garbage from gus?

Dan freaking Skuta, a career backup until coming to the jags, is better at otto than him why??  because he weighs more and theoretically can shed tackles better?

Telvin is the size of a FS and makes more plays in the run game than our 2 "run stuffing LB's"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I agree with the fact that it's just one item on a very long list, but when you've drafted one of the better defensive play makers in the draft, you need to find a way to get him on the field as much as possible.  I'd much rather see him on the field making mistakes.  The guy is a legitimate play maker, and they're putting Pullard on the field?  Sorry, but I don't understand the logic. 

This... there is no downside... Neither Poz nor Skuta has made a game changing play... not a single one in 2 games so far.  We lose nothing with them besides a few pounds.. and again, Telvin is our best LB vs the run at 218 pounds

Quote:We aren't playing good defense with the current LB's... how can it be bad to get our young stud in there?  someone who can make plays?  is this mythical otto position really impossible for him to play?  I mean come on... do you really buy that garbage from gus?

Dan freaking Skuta, a career backup until coming to the jags, is better at otto than him why??  because he weighs more and theoretically can shed tackles better?

Telvin is the size of a FS and makes more plays in the run game than our 2 "run stuffing LB's"

Please watch Jack play and tell me when the last time he actually made a play behind the LOS. He was never that player in college, and so far I have not seen that from him in the NFL.

He is not Telvin who has a knack for knifing in there to make a play (even if he misses the occasional tackle). And for Poz's liability in the passing game, he's been stout against the run. This is the problem that this defense has right now. He's not better than Telvin right now, and that's his best spot in ANY base defense.

He's not a stout enough run defender either, so he's a liability at SLB or OTTO or whatever it is they want to call it. I realize everyone is upset and calling for heads is the easiest way to let all of that anger go. And yes, we got gashed by the passing game. But if we are also getting gashed by the run game, it is going to make it even more difficult to defend the pass.

Myles will get his turn, but we can't rush him just yet. It's too early in the season to be pressing the panic button.

Quote:Please watch Jack play and tell me when the last time he actually made a play behind the LOS. He was never that player in college, and so far I have not seen that from him in the NFL.

He is not Telvin who has a knack for knifing in there to make a play (even if he misses the occasional tackle). And for Poz's liability in the passing game, he's been stout against the run. This is the problem that this defense has right now. He's not better than Telvin right now, and that's his best spot in ANY base defense.

He's not a stout enough run defender either, so he's a liability at SLB or OTTO or whatever it is they want to call it. I realize everyone is upset and calling for heads is the easiest way to let all of that anger go. And yes, we got gashed by the passing game. But if we are also getting gashed by the run game, it is going to make it even more difficult to defend the pass.

Myles will get his turn, but we can't rush him just yet. It's too early in the season to be pressing the panic button.

You have to be joking... Poz is stout vs the run? maybe 4 years ago.. skuta?  really?  which run game did we shut down these first 2 weeks?  which one?

This is a passing league, we got destroyed today and our LB's were a huge part of it.  Poz is done, skuta was never a player to even begin with.

put Jack on the field, and do it now

Why is playing a 2nd round pick early "rushing" him? Can he do much worse? He at least offers athleticism, speed and big play ability.

Put him in and let him learn.

Quote:is an absolute joke...

We all know how bad poz is in coverage.  We all know how much of a steal Jack was.  We all know Jack was the best coverage linebacker in college football.  We all know he is the most or 2nd most talented LB on our team behind Telvin.  We all know this.  The coaching staff seems to not.

Why is this a thing?  Why is Bradley this incompetent?  Like these are things that you shouldn't even be able to laugh about and joke about.  Who gets a top 5 talent LB, and keeps him on the bench behind Poz and DAN SKUTA!?!?!?!?!?

IDC about "otto" ... this [BAD WORD REMOVED] mythical position that Bradley wants to pretend is some amazingly complex position.  Our defense looked just as bad as always vs a depleted SD team who then even lost woodhead early.

IDK why this coach isn't fired.  I have been quiet over the last 5 years or so after having nothing but apathy towards this team.  But this team finally has elite talent on both sides of the ball, yet still, is a joke in the NFL.

We are still being ran by at best high school level head coach.

Get this guy out of here, NOW.  Get Jack on the field, NOW, and NO, not at the expense of our other top tier LB Telvin Smith

I posted the below in another thread, but it's hits on some of the things you're talking about

"Incompetent coaches have a habit of pigeonholing guys into certain positions, "leo", "otto", etc. Myles Jack best position is weak-side linebacker but the fact that Telvin plays that position creates a quagmire for this coaching staff, they don't possess the creativity to get their best players on the field all at once. I look at what the Cardinals D-coordinator (James Bettcher) did with Deon Bucannon, they drafted him in the 1st round (to play SS) but the incumbent starert performed above expectations in the preseason. Instead of benching the effective incumbent starter or letting their prized 1st round pick ride the pine, they simply moved Buccanon into a hybrid Mike-linebacker position, where he's since excelled. That's an example of coaches can get CREATIVE to get their best players on the field all at once, speaking of Bettcher, he'll be a hot name this off-season, along with Patriots D-coordinator Matt Patricia'.

Quote:You have to be joking... Poz is stout vs the run? maybe 4 years ago.. skuta?  really?  which run game did we shut down these first 2 weeks?  which one?

This is a passing league, we got destroyed today and our LB's were a huge part of it.  Poz is done, skuta was never a player to even begin with.

put Jack on the field, and do it now

Lacy had 14 carries and netted 61 yards total...28 of which on one busted run play (Gipson got juked). Starks didn't do anything.

We got gashed early on vs SD, but they did improve as the game went on. You can blindly spew your anger, but its not going to change that.

Quote:Why is playing a 2nd round pick early "rushing" him? Can he do much worse? He at least offers athleticism, speed and big play ability.

Because his best spot is already filled by someone better (Telvin)?

Because other than in the passing game, he isn't better than Poz?

Because his main weakness is the main requirement for the last remaining spot in a 4-3 LB scheme?

Quote:Because his best spot is already filled by someone better (Telvin)?

Because other than in the passing game, he isn't better than Poz?

Because his main weakness is the main requirement for the last remaining spot in a 4-3 LB scheme?

There are no excuses for not playing Myles at this point, he brings something to this line-backing core that is severely lacking, the ability to cover and make-up ground with speed. Just at look at the play where Skuta was responsible for Benhamin in zone coverage near the end-zone, or when Poz was (hilariously) covering Benjamin, or the play where Tyrell Williams took a simple drag 40+ yards into the end-zone, the Chargers success on offense (at least in the pass game) yesterday was a result of the ineffectiveness of guys like Poz and Skuta.

Why do people insist on Jack haVing a "spot" in the defense?!

This defense can't be gone soon enough.

Jack is better than Poz. He's more talented and athletic than Skuta.

Our defense needs speed, athleticism and guys that have the ability to make a play.

But yeah let's keep that guy on the bench in favor of Poz and Skuta.

Quote:Why do people insist on Jack haVing a "spot" in the defense?!

Our defense needs speed, athleticism and guys that have the ability to make a play.

Bingo

Quote:Why do people insist on Jack haVing a "spot" in the defense?!

Because this isn't Madden. The spot a guy plays determines his ROLE and responsibilities.

If this team forces Jack into the starting line-up in our base defense, there's going to need to be an adjustment up front to protect him in the run game. Which, if this continues, they might just have to do.

Quote:I posted the below in another thread, but it's hits on some of the things you're talking about

"Incompetent coaches have a habit of pigeonholing guys into certain positions, "leo", "otto", etc. Myles Jack best position is weak-side linebacker but the fact that Telvin plays that position creates a quagmire for this coaching staff, they don't possess the creativity to get their best players on the field all at once. I look at what the Cardinals D-coordinator (James Bettcher) did with Deon Bucannon, they drafted him in the 1st round (to play SS) but the incumbent starert performed above expectations in the preseason. Instead of benching the effective incumbent starter or letting their prized 1st round pick ride the pine, they simply moved Buccanon into a hybrid Mike-linebacker position, where he's since excelled. That's an example of coaches can get CREATIVE to get their best players on the field all at once, speaking of Bettcher, he'll be a hot name this off-season, along with Patriots D-coordinator Matt Patricia'.

bingo.... in the very least, why isn't jack on the field in nickel???  there is no Otto in nickel... it's your best 2 cover LB's

Quote:Lacy had 14 carries and netted 61 yards total...28 of which on one busted run play (Gipson got juked). Starks didn't do anything.

We got gashed early on vs SD, but they did improve as the game went on. You can blindly spew your anger, but its not going to change that.

thats over 4 yards per carry... and the QB rushed on us multiple times...

Just because the other team chose to run in few times does not mean we shut down the run

You are literally sitting here defending playing Skuta and a broken down Poz over a top 5 draft talent in Myles Jack who was a unanimous top 5 or 6 selection this past draft until that false report came out hours before the draft.

Let that sink in.  You are defending the all time most losing coach with 50 or more coached games except for 1 guy who was also the owner.... The literal worst coach in NFL history.

I wonder who the crazy one is... me or you

Quote:Because this isn't Madden. The spot a guy plays determines his ROLE and responsibilities.

If this team forces Jack into the starting line-up in our base defense, there's going to need to be an adjustment up front to protect him in the run game. Which, if this continues, they might just have to do.

protect him in the run game!??!? LMAO based on what?  the coaches telling you he isn't as good??

my god... you must be Gus 

Quote:Because this isn't Madden. The spot a guy plays determines his ROLE and responsibilities.

You keep thinking that way, I'm obviously not going to change your mind.

Keeping Jack off the field for an aging Poz and Dan Skuta is asinine.

Quote:thats over 4 yards per carry... and the QB rushed on us multiple times...

Just because the other team chose to run in few times does not mean we shut down the run

You are literally sitting here defending playing Skuta and a broken down Poz over a top 5 draft talent in Myles Jack who was a unanimous top 5 or 6 selection this past draft until that false report came out hours before the draft.

Let that sink in.  You are defending the all time most losing coach with 50 or more coached games except for 1 guy who was also the owner.... The literal worst coach in NFL history.

I wonder who the crazy one is... me or you

Tell me, were you impressed with Myles Jack in that 4th preseason game vs the Falcons?

Quote:protect him in the run game!??!? [BAD WORD REMOVED] based on what?  the coaches telling you he isn't as good??

my god... you must be Gus 

Or based on his entire UCLA career and NFL stint so far.

Quote:Why is playing a 2nd round pick early "rushing" him? Can he do much worse? He at least offers athleticism, speed and big play ability.

He's really a 1st round pick who got taken in the 2nd. He would have been a top 5 pick if not for the knee stuff. You don't sit a top 5 rookie talent unless you don't know what your doing or being stubborn because you like the guy ahead of him because "he's just a nice guy and has heart".
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]