Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Positives and Negatives

Quote:Positives:

1. No major Injuries in a non conference game.

2. It appears the opening 3 & Out bug has finally been squashed.

3. The corners played better than last year.

4. Yeldon didn't fumble the ball with an increase in carries.

5. The kicker didn't lose the game this time.

Negatives:

1. Throwing an INT on the first drive of the season. I believe it cost them momentum and the game yesterday.

2. The Oline didn't open running lanes. Yeldon had Packers in his backfield all day.

3. Where was Telvin??? Where was the Pass Rush??? I though yall said Ramsey was going to shut Rodgers up....

4. Bubble screen on 4th and 1... come'on Guschamp.... Gus should be fired!!!!!!

5. GB: 5-24 vs JAX: 7-79 The referees didn't call the game evenly.. it wasn't even close. AROB needs to file a battery suit cause he was getting mugged the whole game.

Guschamp lol.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Telvin was all over the field making plays...

The physical ability that Telvin Smith has is impressive to say the least.   That one play  ( I believe it was deep in Packers territory  ) in which Smith showed a great inside to outside burst to make a tackle reminded me of some of the plays DeAndre Levy made 2 and 3 seasons ago when he had Pro Bowl caliber seasons.  

Coaching goes along way in the NFL.   But the natural physical talent of Telvin Smith is something that's a gift.  

Quote:Pass Rush

Pass Rush

Achilles heel for this team for ages. Had opportunity to help it in offseason but Dave didnt do it.
Yes, it was a problem yesterday, but......

They Brought in Malik, inside rush

Dave was wiling to break the bank for 'what's-his-name' that went to the giants

Ayers chose to sign with Miami

They drafted Yannick Nguakoue

It's not like they said 'welllpppp". They tried

I'm hoping our pass rush improves as the year rolls on. Aaron Rodgers is so hard to get to, we actually had a few opportunities, but he's magical in the pocket. Not all QB's are this good with evading the rush.

Quote:Yes, it was a problem yesterday, but......

I'm hoping our pass rush improves as the year rolls on. Aaron Rodgers is so hard to get to, we actually had a few opportunities, but he's magical in the pocket. Not all QB's are this good with evading the rush.
In fact there is really only  2 or 3 that are on his level.

I've talked to a few Packers fans. They have basically repeated what Osher wrote - Aaron Rodgers makes pass rushers look bad.  So lets wait a few more weeks to see what happens.

Quote:I've talked to a few Packers fans. They have basically repeated what Osher wrote - Aaron Rodgers makes pass rushers look bad.  So lets wait a few more weeks to see what happens.

One thing yesterday's game reinforced is that Aaron Rodgers can take advantage of the smallest of mistakes.   Normally,  Rodgers is deadly outside the pocket.  In this game,  Rodgers took it a step even further at times when he had some space inside the pocket to maneuver.   It's hard to ask Defensive players to maintain discipline to the nth degree play in and play out.   Yet,  that's what's often needed to defeat Rodgers when he and his supporting cast are playing at a high level.   

Though Philip Rivers and Joe Flacco,  the next 2 scheduled Jags QB opponents are high quality QBs in their own right,  they don't present the multi-dimensional problems that Rodgers does. 

Quote:I've talked to a few Packers fans. They have basically repeated what Osher wrote - Aaron Rodgers makes pass rushers look bad.  So lets wait a few more weeks to see what happens.

Some of those throws he made escaping pressure were simply ridiculous.

I guess it makes folks forget he was pressured at all.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Is the Chargers OL as good as the Packers?

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:Pass Rush

Pass Rush

Achilles heel for this team for ages. Had opportunity to help it in offseason but Dave didnt do it.

Good God. If you're going to whine at least don't make [BLEEP] up.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Is the Chargers OL as good as the Packers?

No, and Rivers obviously doesn't have the ability to escape the pocket like Rodgers does, hopefully that will translate into sacks. The loss of Keenan Allen hurts as well, should force Rivers to hold onto the ball longer.

There were positives...

3 timeouts in the 3rd quarter is nothing short of   'amateurish' …   Amateurs will not win a Superbowl ..   This is simply POOR COACHING ...

And a screen on 4th and 1 ????????    good grief…    

I don't care if it was Tom Brady and the Patriots …  or Aaron Rodgers and the crummy Packers…    We SHOULD HAVE WON THE OPENER...

So I am disappointed..       I mean seriously..   3rd and 1 at their 14, and we cannot get the first??   

We have tons of talent….    but the coaching is     AWFUL  …    We should call Coughlin..   seriously...

Quote:Some of those throws he made escaping pressure were simply ridiculous.

I guess it makes folks forget he was pressured at all.

I don't think anybody forgot his best throw of the day was while Jalen Ramsey grabbed the back of his jersey.

Positives.

- Pass protection was quite good considering how it has been the last two years. Bortles was pressured 7 times in 42 plays I think. Beachum looks like we hoped he would

-Defensive speed looks way better due to the influx of new players and perhaps Wash's influence

-Nortman is a great punter.

- Bortles has visibly improved from last year. He's starting to become really effective at looking off safeties.

- I cursed like hell at Bradley for going for it on 4th down a few times but it kept us in the game.

Negatives.

-Interior run blocking was brutal. Linder/Cann/Joke did not play well in that area. Whole point of putting Linder in at center was to generate a push.

-Timeouts need to be valued more. I know getting the right play for a situation is important but losing timeouts early can really cost you.

-Pass rush is as expected, fairly tame. This team isn't built to blitz so when we have to resort to that to generate pressure we usually get burned.

Pros

We played one of the best teams in the NFL very close and only a few plays and ref calls cost us. Last year, GB beats us by 30.

Bortles, Hurns, Robinson and Thomas all played well.

We stopped the run well.

The secondary was generally exceptional. To keep Rogers, Nelson, Cobb et al under some control despite 0 pressure is very impressive.

Special teams were on point.

Cons

No pass rush. Jackson did nothing, Marks looked old and slow, Fowler was a non entity. If this doesn't change, the big passing teams will kill us.

Mediocre at best run game. Yeldon tried his best, but it just wasn't there for him. Hopefully a healthy Ivory helps. I'd love to see a FB in there too.

No Miles Jack? Poz didn't do anything wrong, but I can't remember him doing much right either. Telvin Smith was good though.

Poor use of TOs

Not enough 'streetwise' play with the refs. Part of it was the refs doing a [BLEEP] job, part of it was us not earning the calls,

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Negative- Our boys never get a home field advantage. Seems maybe Jacksonville isn't capable of supporting a NFL team. What a disgusting turnout of Jags fans at that game. All the hype going in to this season and that's what shows up? Pathetic.

Positives- team played well against a NFL powerhouse.

I call BS on this.  Packers had a good turnout, but were easily less than 20% (too high for sure).  

When the stadium need to get loud, we were loud.  Caused two late timeouts on GB's last drive and a penalty which may have prevented the conversion.  Hopefully we can be as packed as GB someday, but I would not say we lost home field advantage.

Quote:Yes, it was a problem yesterday, but......

Had a chance to sign Mario Williams as well. If you think signing Malik Jackson was going to fix our pass rush woes then everyone is going to be dissappointed.

Negative

I think the playbook was a bit narrow yesterday.  How many times can you line up Bortles in shotgun and fake the handoff?  For a first game where you aren't sure what your line can give you I do understand but it is a tad disappointing.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Had a chance to sign Mario Williams as well. If you think signing Malik Jackson was going to fix our pass rush woes then everyone is going to be dissappointed.
I wouldn't have minded them signing Mario Williams either, but Malik was brought in to offer an interior rush and he's a good player or at least was when he was with Denver. We'll see if he proves a good signing as the year wears on or not. 

Quote:Gator hater comment. There is always hope whenever a player starts doing what her was drafted for.

Facts know no emotion and he's done nothing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I thought the timeout issue was a big deal.

Then I saw Rodgers try to call two back-to-back in a similar situation.

<shrugs>

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."