Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Are cops heroes?

(05-26-2022, 01:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 12:12 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: This comes from an overuse of the word, hero. Nurses aren't heroes. Cops aren't heroes. Soldiers aren't heroes. That title needs to be earned. Doing your job doesn't automatically qualify you, and you don't know who the heroes are until they are faced with overwhelming odds. Maybe we should all tone down the rhetoric.

Except for Duval Pride Message Board Moderator. That one clearly falls into the category of Hero.

Since I’m a super mod, does that make me a super hero? Where’s my cape?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-26-2022, 12:27 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 12:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I had always thought that’s what the resource officer role was used for. My experience in the Navy was for people who couldn’t/wouldn’t perform to standards were sent to do jobs no one else wanted or there were no manning billets to fill it. When I asked my kids why that same resource officer was at their school after a couple of years they looked at me funny and said “That’s his job”. Most of the students looked like they could have taken this guy out.

The one that used to be at Stanton, I think my 5’2 tiny little self could have taken him out!

We must have been there different years. I recall a roughly 6'6"  black guy.  But he let us come and go as we pleased.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Apparently both my and Mikesez's information was wrong.  Officers were engaged with the suspect moments after the suspect gained entry into the school.  The initial responding officers fell back seeking cover as they were being shot at.

To answer our resident far-left democrat's question "How can we make sure more cops act valiantly...?"  I can only say this.  The officers that were there did what they could do up to the limits of their training.  The average police officer in a small town doesn't have the training or expertise to handle such a situation.  They surely don't make enough money to put themselves into a situation that they are not trained to handle.  That is why they took a defensive position until qualified and trained people could intervene.

It pisses me off when these far-left democrats try to find a reason to blame first responders.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think the position is somewhat heroic, like firemen.. I guess it's up to the individual to maintain the hero status or not by doing their duty or going above and beyond..

Where this country is heading, we need all the heroes we can get..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-26-2022, 04:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Apparently both my and Mikesez's information was wrong.  Officers were engaged with the suspect moments after the suspect gained entry into the school.  The initial responding officers fell back seeking cover as they were being shot at.

To answer our resident far-left democrat's question "How can we make sure more cops act valiantly...?"  I can only say this.  The officers that were there did what they could do up to the limits of their training.  The average police officer in a small town doesn't have the training or expertise to handle such a situation.  They surely don't make enough money to put themselves into a situation that they are not trained to handle.  That is why they took a defensive position until qualified and trained people could intervene.

It pisses me off when these far-left democrats try to find a reason to blame first responders.
The cbp supposedly was checking on the suspect after he crashed and got himself shot. I don't know why he tried to assist the known armed criminal without any backup but he did it.

The other 2 cops didn't stop him from entering the school and were then fired upon once he had access to the school.

Someone gave the order to standby for 40 mins and that person needs to be charged. Who waits 40 mins when kids are being shot? The cops were even keeping the parents from going inside. Someone needs to start investigating who made the call and why. This just seems all too convenient when the cops and cbp could have stopped this entered after him and taken him out.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(05-26-2022, 04:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Apparently both my and Mikesez's information was wrong.  Officers were engaged with the suspect moments after the suspect gained entry into the school.  The initial responding officers fell back seeking cover as they were being shot at.

You must not get around much if you think I'm far left.
But anyhow.
I agree with you that the cops probably performed per their training.
And their training sucks.
I understand standing down if a suspect is running away though a field or something, but if he goes into any kind of school or shop or nightclub, you pursue that guy until you can't pursue him anymore.  Gunmen have been taken down by brave unarmed men who tackled them.

(05-26-2022, 10:39 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Could some of them be cops that are either retired and are double-dipping, or left the force for whatever reason?  If so, they may just not be as emotionally invested in their job at that point in their life.  Or they are just ill equipped/trained to handle an active shooter situation, which I find hard to believe if they are ex-cops.  If they are actively employed cops, then they are a sad bunch of cops.  Personally, I'd hire the ex-military, but school boards probably can't afford either the money or bad publicity that might cost.

There are many retired cops who never drew their service weapon in the line of duty their whole career.

(05-27-2022, 12:57 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 10:39 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Could some of them be cops that are either retired and are double-dipping, or left the force for whatever reason?  If so, they may just not be as emotionally invested in their job at that point in their life.  Or they are just ill equipped/trained to handle an active shooter situation, which I find hard to believe if they are ex-cops.  If they are actively employed cops, then they are a sad bunch of cops.  Personally, I'd hire the ex-military, but school boards probably can't afford either the money or bad publicity that might cost.

There are many retired cops who never drew their service weapon in the line of duty their whole career.

And those cops should not be assigned to schools as safety officers. Not a deterrent for someone that is determined to kill.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The fact that they arm cops with standard weaponry whereas anybody over 18 can pretty much arm themselves with semi-automatic weapons tells me that we should not judge (lowly paid) police officers when faced this this type of situation. Take semi-automatic weapons off of the streets and my expectations of police officers will increase.

(05-27-2022, 11:15 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The fact that they arm cops with standard weaponry whereas anybody over 18 can pretty much arm themselves with semi-automatic weapons tells me that we should not judge (lowly paid) police officers when faced this this type of situation.  Take semi-automatic weapons off of the streets and my expectations of police officers will increase.

Police are issued semi automatic pistols.  These mass shootings are usually done with semi automatic rifles.
These rifles usually have much higher kinetic energy and momentum per round than the pistols police use.  They are also easier to aim.  There are plenty countries that have police armed with high powered rifles strapped to them,  patrolling on foot.  I don't know why we don't.

(05-27-2022, 11:15 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The fact that they arm cops with standard weaponry whereas anybody over 18 can pretty much arm themselves with semi-automatic weapons tells me that we should not judge (lowly paid) police officers when faced this this type of situation.  Take semi-automatic weapons off of the streets and my expectations of police officers will increase.

And now we can stop the "we need more good guys with guns" [BLEEP] argument.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(05-27-2022, 11:49 AM)mikesez Wrote:

Police are issued semi automatic pistols.  These mass shootings are usually done with semi automatic rifles.
These rifles usually have much higher kinetic energy and momentum per round than the pistols police use.  They are also easier to aim.  There are plenty countries that have police armed with high powered rifles strapped to them,  patrolling on foot.  I don't know why we don't.

The majority of cops shouldn't have guns like that. A lot of them can barely use their handgun. How many shots get fired with handguns when cops start shooting? Now add a rifle and it's going to be worse. You also can't chase or tackle someone with a rifle. Trained and certified cops would be fine but you can't give everyone them. They already do this.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(05-27-2022, 03:32 PM)captivating Wrote:

And now we can stop the "we need more good guys with guns" [BLEEP] argument.

An armed cop who won't intervene in a mass shooting event is not a good guy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

My guess is that the majority of police officers enter the profession with the goal to help the people they serve. Unfortunately, many of these officers turn negative due to job stress and lack of support. The same goes for teachers, nurses, doctors and firemen. Those who are able to effectively deal with these challenges are certainly heroes, in my opinion.