Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Seattle and Vancouver

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 06:29 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-03-2022, 12:58 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 12:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Give a homeless druggie housing and what do you have?  Drug addiction, while not the only cause, is a huge contributing factor to the homeless surge spreading across the country.  All the housing in the world won't fix the underlying problem.

Did I use the verb "give"?
I'd expect them to earn the housing once the supply and demand equilibriate affordable hosuing exists again.
Drug treatment is the first step for those that are abusing drugs.  Very hard to hold down a job while addicted to drugs.
Many of them are not abusing drugs, though.

If you haven't watched the video, you probably should. They interview a homeless woman, and she states unequivocally that 100% of the homeless in Seattle that she has encountered are drug addicts. I've volunteered at homeless shelters and soup kitchens in the past, and I found the same to be pretty much true.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-03-2022, 12:58 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 12:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Give a homeless druggie housing and what do you have?  Drug addiction, while not the only cause, is a huge contributing factor to the homeless surge spreading across the country.  All the housing in the world won't fix the underlying problem.

Did I use the verb "give"?
I'd expect them to earn the housing once the supply and demand equilibriate affordable hosuing exists again.
Drug treatment is the first step for those that are abusing drugs.  Very hard to hold down a job while addicted to drugs.

As usual, you're missing the point.  Earn the housing?  What percentage of these addicts do you expect to ever become contributing members of society?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 08:31 PM by mikesez.)

(11-03-2022, 06:29 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 12:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did I use the verb "give"?

If you haven't watched the video, you probably should. They interview a homeless woman, and she states unequivocally that 100% of the homeless in Seattle that she has encountered are drug addicts.  I've  volunteered at homeless shelters and soup kitchens in the past, and I found the same to be pretty much true.

I've watched the video.  Homeless people are experts on what it feels like to be homeless.  But their perception of how society works is questionable.  This kind of thing has been studied ad nauseum by many different people.  Many homeless people do not do drugs.  Perhaps most.  Many of them did drugs at one time.  But having no money has a way of sobering a person up.

(11-03-2022, 08:07 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

As usual, you're missing the point.  Earn the housing?  What percentage of these addicts do you expect to ever become contributing members of society?

You missed my point so it's only fair.
I suspect our definitions of "contributing member of society" may not be the same.  A person with a paying job is a contributor even if they are also on food stamps, for instance.  Right?
Anyhow, I definitely agree drug addiction is a contributing factor.  But why do you insist that is "the" point? Do you have some magic policy that eliminates drug abuse?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-03-2022, 08:27 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 06:29 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: If you haven't watched the video, you probably should. They interview a homeless woman, and she states unequivocally that 100% of the homeless in Seattle that she has encountered are drug addicts.  I've  volunteered at homeless shelters and soup kitchens in the past, and I found the same to be pretty much true.

I've watched the video.  Homeless people are experts on what it feels like to be homeless.  But their perception of how society works is questionable.  This kind of thing has been studied ad nauseum by many different people.  Many homeless people do not do drugs.  Perhaps most.  Many of them did drugs at one time.  But having no money has a way of sobering a person up.

(11-03-2022, 08:07 PM)Sneakers Wrote: As usual, you're missing the point.  Earn the housing?  What percentage of these addicts do you expect to ever become contributing members of society?

You missed my point so it's only fair.
I suspect our definitions of "contributing member of society" may not be the same.  A person with a paying job is a contributor even if they are also on food stamps, for instance.  Right?
Anyhow, I definitely agree drug addiction is a contributing factor.  But why do you insist that is "the" point? Do you have some magic policy that eliminates drug abuse?
You are missing the facts. Most of them are on drugs. What do you expect them to do with their days when they don't have a job or anything to do? It's very hard to do nothing all the time and the drugs help them pass the time. These cities have large homeless populations because they pay them lots of money. Someone struggling can just decide to give up and not work, then collect $600-1,000 a month, free phone and lots of free data or wifi, etc. They can eat for free or buy some cheap staples. They can afford to feed their drug habit for most of the month if they stretch it out.

Not everyone is on drugs but most of them are or would if they had more money. The people who are actually trying to get back on their feet don't usually stay homeless. There are plenty of programs that help unfortunately too much is wasted on the ones who just want the free stuff.

You aren't going to fix the mentally ill or druggie ones though because it would take forced inpatient treatment for the rest of their lives for most of them.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 10:59 PM by americus 2.0.)

(11-02-2022, 10:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: Lack of housing and mental illness are a cycle. 
They don't want to build more housing, is basically the entire problem.
If these people weren't evicted due to decades of new money coming in chasing old buildings, they wouldn't be on the street, and they wouldn't be mentally ill.

Mental illness and addiction are not the same thing. Not all addicts are mentally ill and not all who suffer mental illness are addicts. 

Know what you're talking about before saying something so moronic.

(11-03-2022, 06:29 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

If you haven't watched the video, you probably should. They interview a homeless woman, and she states unequivocally that 100% of the homeless in Seattle that she has encountered are drug addicts.  I've  volunteered at homeless shelters and soup kitchens in the past, and I found the same to be pretty much true.

Lol. He doesn't know anything. The last time this documentary was discussed I asked if he'd seen it after he was spouting nonsense as fact. Nope, he had not.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 11:16 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-03-2022, 10:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 10:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: Lack of housing and mental illness are a cycle. 
If these people weren't evicted due to decades of new money coming in chasing old buildings, they wouldn't be on the street, and they wouldn't be mentally ill.

Mental illness and addiction are not the same thing. Not all addicts are mentally ill and not all who suffer mental illness are addicts. 

(11-03-2022, 06:29 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: If you haven't watched the video, you probably should. They interview a homeless woman, and she states unequivocally that 100% of the homeless in Seattle that she has encountered are drug addicts.  I've  volunteered at homeless shelters and soup kitchens in the past, and I found the same to be pretty much true.

Lol. He doesn't know anything. The last time this documentary was discussed I asked if he'd seen it after he was spouting nonsense as fact. Nope, he had not.

I didn't say addiction and mental illness are the same.  A person can have one or the other or both.  Addiction can cause mental illness and mental illness can cause addiction. Are you saying that none of the homeless people in the video are mentally ill?

(11-03-2022, 11:12 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 10:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Mental illness and addiction are not the same thing. Not all addicts are mentally ill and not all who suffer mental illness are addicts. 

I didn't say addiction and mental illness are the same.  A person can have one or the other or both.  Addiction can cause mental illness and mental illness can cause addiction.  Are you saying that none of the homeless people in the video are mentally ill?

I'm not saying anything to you beyond this reply regarding the subject of addiction and/or mental health.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2022, 09:13 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-04-2022, 01:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 11:12 PM)mikesez Wrote: I didn't say addiction and mental illness are the same.  A person can have one or the other or both.  Addiction can cause mental illness and mental illness can cause addiction.  Are you saying that none of the homeless people in the video are mentally ill?

I'm not saying anything to you beyond this reply regarding the subject of addiction and/or mental health.

Every reply from him is like an SAT question.  Some widgets are gizmos.  All gizmos are widgets.   How many gigdets are gizmos?

And no! Mike, that is not meant to be a compliment.

(11-04-2022, 08:59 PM)Jags Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 01:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm not saying anything to you beyond this reply regarding the subject of addiction and/or mental health.

Every reply from him is like an SAT question.  Some widgets are gizmos.  All gizmos are widgets.   How many gigdets are gizmos?

Well am I some sort of SAT expert or am I a moron like Americus said?

(11-03-2022, 10:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

(11-04-2022, 09:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 08:59 PM)Jags Wrote: Every reply from him is like an SAT question.  Some widgets are gizmos.  All gizmos are widgets.   How many gigdets are gizmos?

Well am I some sort of SAT expert or am I a moron like Americus said?

I'll take moron for two hundred, Alex.

This is your single most ignorant post of all time.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(11-05-2022, 06:59 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 10:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Mental illness and addiction are not the same thing. Not all addicts are mentally ill and not all who suffer mental illness are addicts. 

(11-04-2022, 09:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: Well am I some sort of SAT expert or am I a moron like Americus said?

I'll take moron for two hundred, Alex.

Interesting.
What was your SAT score?

(11-05-2022, 08:33 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 06:59 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I'll take moron for two hundred, Alex.

Interesting.
What was your SAT score?

What's your bra size?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Book smarts does NOT equal common sense.. Anyone can be book smart of they choose to be.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2022, 09:47 AM by mikesez.)

(11-05-2022, 09:39 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: (1) Book smarts does NOT equal common sense.. (2) Anyone can be book smart of they choose to be.

(1) True
(2) False

(11-05-2022, 09:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 08:33 AM)mikesez Wrote: Interesting.
What was your SAT score?

What's your bra size?

Smaller than your waist size.

(11-05-2022, 09:47 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 09:39 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: (1) Book smarts does NOT equal common sense.. (2) Anyone can be book smart of they choose to be.

(1) True
(2) False

(11-05-2022, 09:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: What's your bra size?

That doesn't help me with my Christmas shopping.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-05-2022, 09:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 09:47 AM)mikesez Wrote: (1) True
(2) False

That doesn't help me with my Christmas shopping.

I'll just borrow one of yours if the need arises.  And I know I tend to make your needs arise.

(11-05-2022, 09:47 AM)mikesez Wrote:

(1) True
(2) False

1) You're the biggest clown on this board

2) If they can train chickens, pigs and monkeys to play the piano, you can learn how to translate Wiki text to the Jags forum here. Your problem is common sense.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2022, 10:07 AM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-05-2022, 10:02 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 09:47 AM)mikesez Wrote: (1) True
(2) False

1) You're the biggest clown on this board

2) If they can train chickens, pigs and monkeys to play the piano, you can learn how to translate Wiki text to the Jags forum here. Your problem is common sense.

About half the people I started university with flunked out or changed their major to business. I finished in the same major I started.
You think the others just didn't "choose" to be book smart?

(11-05-2022, 10:06 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 10:02 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: 1) You're the biggest clown on this board

About half the people I started university with flunked out or changed their major to business.  I finished in the same major I started.
You think the others just didn't "choose" to be book smart?

Repetition equals retention.. Same way those pigs and chickens hove and peck those keys on that keyboard..

And what do those pigs and chickens do after carefully pecking and hoving out Beethoven's Symphony No. 5? 

They go wallow in their own feces..

(11-05-2022, 09:59 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 09:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That doesn't help me with my Christmas shopping.

I'll just borrow one of yours if the need arises.  And I know I tend to make your needs arise.

Nah, you aren't girthy enough to fill out my gear. It's really best if you just give me your deets so I don't have to keep sending those things back to Adam & Eve like last year. They tend to frown on restocking stuff after it's been used, especially that really lacey stuff you enjoy parading around in.