Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fade route to Marqise in the red-zone?

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016, 10:40 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:It's better to find out that it doesn't work against Cincy in a preseason game, versus Green Bay in the opener.

Everything didn't work.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bortles is TERRIBLE at throwing fade/corner routes. Has he ever completed a pass in the corner like that?

I didn't think the throw was "bad", the fade is a low percentage play in general, it becomes more difficult to complete when you're throwing the ball up to a receiver that doesn't play big.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016, 10:50 AM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:He was singled up.

Not a bad call - just a good play by defender.

Plenty of things to complain about from that game... This isnt one of them.

I'm not sure about complaining, but its definitely worth criticizing. This just isn't a play that Lee does well. The defender made a good play, but watch it again. Lee was waiting for the ball the come down. I don't even think he jumped. He was just running and waiting for the ball to drop over his shoulder.

Arob, Hurns, Thomas, even Lewis tries to go up for that ball. 

It's preseason, so I'll take it as a teaching/learning thing. But I don't want to see that in the regular season. At least not to Lee.

Quote:It's preseaon!! Kick the tires on new plays and players

/thread

I know exactly what play you're talking about, but did you notice that they were blitzing 2 or 3 guys.  He had to get the ball out fast and he wasn't going to have a ton of time.  In that situation it wasn't a bad call on his part.  Not the best personnel at the time, but he made the right audible.

Quote:I know exactly what play you're talking about, but did you notice that they were blitzing 2 or 3 guys.  He had to get the ball out fast and he wasn't going to have a ton of time.  In that situation it wasn't a bad call on his part.  Not the best personnel at the time, but he made the right audible.

This is my only criticism of the play

Quote:That was also blake checking out of a play to a totally new one. That impressed me more than anything else, he saw the 1st play wasn't going to work and got everyone in the right spot, and even though it didn't result in a score, that was the correct play call, wrong personnel, bit still. He showed results last year by throwing touchdowns, this year he is showing growth in his mental game, the offsides go route to arob against the jets for example, and then a complete formation changing audible to the play that gave us the best advantage. I think last night you saw the jags playing a very talented team on a big stage and they were nervous. If blake had stayed in after halftime i think we would have seen the offense come out there and light up the scoreboard. It's preseason guys, just chill.

This.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Bortles is TERRIBLE at throwing fade/corner routes. Has he ever completed a pass in the corner like that?

As good as BB is/has been with a lot of his game, I have to admit that I agree with you regarding the fade route passes in the end zone. Okay, I won't go so far as to say he is "Terrible" at it. But, he has not been good with fade passes most of the time.

It was cool to see him take command of the offense and go to a play by examining the defense. So, that part was a good sign.

Quote:As good as BB is/has been with a lot of his game, I have to admit that I agree with you regarding the fade route passes in the end zone. Okay, I won't go so far as to say he is "Terrible" at it. But, he has not been good with fade passes most of the time.

It was cool to see him take command of the offense and go to a play by examining the defense. So, that part was a good sign.

Pretty much. Sure we executed poorly, but seeing Blake do that has me excited.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I'm not sure about complaining, but its definitely worth criticizing. This just isn't a play that Lee does well. The defender made a good play, but watch it again. Lee was waiting for the ball the come down. I don't even think he jumped. He was just running and waiting for the ball to drop over his shoulder.

Arob, Hurns, Thomas, even Lewis tries to go up for that ball.

It's preseason, so I'll take it as a teaching/learning thing. But I don't want to see that in the regular season. At least not to Lee.

I don't even see it as worth criticizing.

It's a preseason game. They've never thrown a fade to #11 in my recollection. Good time to try it if you ask me.

He was the only one in single coverage also IIRC. Making it even more logical to attempt.

It was totally worth a shot IMO, especially in preseason.

He was single covered and Lee has actually shown a talent for going up and getting the ball over defenders. He did it just last week.

Robinson may be the better option in that scenario but Lee is not some tiny unathletic guy - he's 6'0" with a 38" vertical.

The critique should be with the placement of the ball imo.

Quote:He was single covered and Lee has actually shown a talent for going up and getting the ball over defenders. He did it just last week.

Robinson may be the better option in that scenario but Lee is not some tiny unathletic guy - he's 6'0" with a 38" vertical.

The critique should be with the placement of the ball imo.

Lee didn't go after the ball....at all.

Quote:Lee didn't go after the ball....at all.

Right.

Unfortunately they were unable to look at the result before making the decision.

Just re-watched the play. Lee didn't really have a chance to go after it. Good play by Kirkpattrick had him off balance and in a bad spot.

CB had his hands on Lee's chest right away and the only way Lee would have a shot at it is of its placed closer to the sideline with higher arc.

Lee would have caught the ball the DB made a great play on the ball

Plus its preseason try to see what other guys can do in that situation 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:The critique should be with the placement of the ball imo.

Quote:Just re-watched the play. ...the only way Lee would have a shot at it is of its placed closer to the sideline with higher arc.

Agreed.