Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Bengals Game

Preseason game. Means nothing.

Remember last year when the Bucs blew out the Bengals in the 3rd preseason game? And how did that turn out for both teams?

Yea it sucked to see them look bad on national TV but we needed to get smacked in the mouth. It will only make them better in the long run... When the season ACTUALLY begins.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I stopped counting at around 4.... 4 being the number of times I saw Joeckle sitting on his butt... and I attribute the Yeldon fumble to Joeckle not getting out and putting a  block on the Bengal with fuzzy hair.

Joeckle's uniform is easy to identify in the laundry basket.....it's the one with lots of grass stains on the butt.

Blakes mechanics were bad last night.He regressed a little in his throwing motion.He can change it tho I'm sure.

Quote:I enjoy your posts Bullseye. I'm running late for work, so I stopped at your point about Dante Fowler's maturity (I'll read the rest at work). It made me think of one of my main concerns that will likely hold this team back from being a serious playoff contender this year; maturity and the ability to "weather the storm." This team is extremely young with an extremely young coaching staff. They calmed down a bit in the 2nd quarter, but this team is going to have to learn how to react to momentum swinging plays like the fumble (incomplete pass, go jags) from TJ Yeldon. The defense is not there yet, although he pieces are there. They'll gel I think, but this team is going to have to score a lot of points and limit turnovers to win in the first half of the season. Adversity is something they have to learn now, and that only comes in live game situations. I hope Dante and all the youngens can learn quick. The o line...yikes.
It has been observed that while the Jags have some highly rated rookies, they are nevertheless rookies. This succinct detail is what will probably contribute more than anything to the Jags not being play-off contenders this season.

Quote:Blakes mechanics were bad last night.He regressed a little in his throwing motion.He can change it tho I'm sure.
^this.  I'm not sure he can change it, unfortunately, as he has worked extensively at improving it for over 2 years.  He just reverts to his natural throwing mechanic when not thinking about it in a live game situation.  

Kelvin Beachum looked good at left tackle at least. 

Quote:Preseason game. Means nothing.

Remember last year when the Bucs blew out the Bengals in the 3rd preseason game? And how did that turn out for both teams?

Yea it sucked to see them look bad on national TV but we needed to get smacked in the mouth. It will only make them better in the long run... When the season ACTUALLY begins.
I've been harping this very message since the pre-season began. It's very difficult (perhaps unwise is the more accurate term...) to be trying to draw many conclusions about likely regular season performance based on pre-season game observations. Pre-season games are generally not game planned. There is the fact that since these games are really meaningless (unless you're a player on the potential cut list...) there is little/no motivation for the starters to really put out maximum effort. Indeed, one might even say the only positive outcome of a pre-season game is if your starters stay healthy. Beyond that, it's just a glorified practice game to help coaches evaluate lower tier players who may be cut before the regular season begins. Oh, it also gives the starters a few snaps to start getting into the 'vibe' of playing again.

How much of what we've seen has really represented the best efforts of our defense? After all the hype about Fowler, has he really been that completely shut down or has he intentionally throttled back....saving it for when it actually counts? Or is it a case of being 'great on the practice field' but being reminded that you're just a rookie after all come game time?

We don't know, and won't know until the regular season starts. Then it will be time for max effort and pulling out the stops as now it counts for real. We'll see what we've really got when we've played a few regular season games.

Quote:Blakes mechanics were bad last night.He regressed a little in his throwing motion.He can change it tho I'm sure.

Yes.  His throws were coming late and off-target.

At least Ham neck Henne looked great.

#QBcontroversy
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Yes. His throws were coming late and off-target.

Which throws were off target? I think the yeldon fumble was more of a throw away that yeldon tried to do too much with. He should have dropped it. I'm not defending bortles but I thought his incompletions were good misses.

Chris collinsworth brought it up in the telecast... It's definitely a concern... At this point, is there anything that can be done? I'm not sure.

And to be honest, I'm don't know if the coaches noticed it or even care...

Not sure our defensive scheme of just rushing the front four is working. Not much penetration. You have to blitz at some point. I saw a lot of blitzing in the 2nd half, and there were some positive results. But I saw that last year too. Seems like when the ship is sinking, the coaches go for broke and start sending blitzes. Too vanilla. I know it's preseason, but there could have been some better defensive calls made.

Quote:Which throws were off target? I think the yeldon fumble was more of a throw away that yeldon tried to do too much with. He should have dropped it. I'm not defending bortles but I thought his incompletions were good misses.

I remember a few different ones, but specifically back to back targets of Hurns and Arob.  The Hurns ball wasn't able to be caught.  It was on the wrong side of his body and he had to spin around trying to get it, unsuccessfully.  The next play was the same, except Arob managed to bail him out and catch it, but it immediately stopped any chance of run after catch as he had to go to the ground opposite his momentum for it.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM by jagherd.)

Quote:Preseason game. Means nothing.

^^ I agree with this.

I don't take much (if anything) from watching Cincy preseason games.

However, there was something that concerned me a little:

The Trenches.

1. Cincy has one of the best D-Lines in the NFL. They didn't show any exotic blitz packages that I can recall. Jags' O-line did not look ready (or even close to par) against talent like that. Geno Atkins vs Luke Joeckel,, oh boy.

2. Cincy's O-line is also one of the best in the NFL. But, last night they were missing TWO key Tackles (having to play Winston at RT) and both their #1 & #2 TEs. Jags' D-line did not look all that great against that unit either (but, preseason, so no exotic blitzing that I could see).

Like it or not, games are still won in the trenches, they just are. Cincy has been a pretty good team for a while now because their D-Line & O-line units have been very solid.

Again, it is only preseason. But, Jax better hope they get those trenches shored up.

Not overly concerned about his mechanics.

He got a good bit of pressure.  You won't always have flawless mechanics when under pressure. 

More concerning to me is the pressure the caused the poor mechanics.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

It's really too bad we can't play a ham sandwich week 1 so this offense can get their swag back.

Quote:Joeckle's uniform is easy to identify in the laundry basket.....it's the one with lots of grass stains on the butt.
I suspect Caldwell will scour the final cuts looking for a quality LG to be a stop gap.

Aside from all the valid points that have already been made, I'm just "depressed". Deja vu to last season and the last several years. It's just preseason, I get that, but you can't always use that a crutch. The fans are as not always that naive. Yesterday was a dose of reality. Temper your expectations, because it's still a process, and we are not there yet.

A few things:

Best takeaway is definitely Beachum at LT. He was solid out there, which is good for his real game back. They have a stout front four, so for him to hold up is good (something you can't say about Luke).

Myles Jack looked good, but did bite on the run fake that opened up the passing lane for the TD throw. 

Jalen *it appears* may have given up a 3rd down catch, but this is TV view. Otherwise, he was once again solid against the run and didn't get picked on much.

Fowler and even Yannick got some edge pressures, but they were just pushed behind the QB and there was no pressure up front when the QB stepped up. Disappointing.

LOS was controlled by them. Frankly we were dominated.

Telvin is so inconsistent. Great athlete capable of making great plays, but also makes big missteps.

Not concerned with Blake's mechanics. It's not too different than his motion last season, and he was largely successful for the most part. I think this will always be a thing with him. He'll never look pretty throwing the ball. For the most part though, he spun the ball well last night.

Quote:A few things:

Best takeaway is definitely Beachum at LT. He was solid out there, which is good for his real game back. They have a stout front four, so for him to hold up is good (something you can't say about Luke).

Myles Jack looked good, but did bite on the run fake that opened up the passing lane for the TD throw. 

Jalen *it appears* may have given up a 3rd down catch, but this is TV view. Otherwise, he was once again solid against the run and didn't get picked on much.

Fowler and even Yannick got some edge pressures, but they were just pushed behind the QB and there was no pressure up front when the QB stepped up. Disappointing.

LOS was controlled by them. Frankly we were dominated.

1.  LJ actually looked pretty respectable at LT during the preseason, but his performance against Atkins apparently has eroded any good feeling anyone might have had about his play.  But for the relative uncertainty regarding Beachum's knee and conditioning, and the fact LJ can play LT in a pinch (just please not against the Texans), I would think he would be a candidate for release.  I think he needs to get playing time against the Falcons along with Beachum.  I don't want to overreact to a poor performance against a player most guards have problems with, but he needs to improve.  It was comforting to see Beachum perform as well as he did.

2.  Right now, Jack is among the least of my concerns.  I would say he played pretty well last night.  I did not notice him biting on the play fake, but that will improve with experience.

3.  We were dominated in the trenches.  Not a pretty look.