Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anyone else fear that if Olson has another great offensive year, he is gone?

Quote: After seeing Greg Olson get more out of Joey Harrington as a play caller than anyone else, it's not surprising that Olson has helped elevate the Jaguars Offense. Finally, Olson has a high caliber QB prospect ( who isn't a rookie ) to work with who has the combined physical skills and intangibles.

I agree, as I do with most of your posts. But man the uproar when he was hired compared to our apparent appreciation now as a fanbase at large amuses me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is an interesting topic.

I think if the Jags offense improves like we all kinda assume they will, and Oly moves on, Hackett would be promoted and the system would remain.

But I'd worry more about Wash, to be honest.

I saw an interview with Wash a few years ago when he first got here, and pegged him as a future NFL HC. Im 90% sure I made a thread about it here, but I can't find it.

If he proves to be even an average D coordinator, he will be a head coach in the next couple seasons. In fact, if the Jags suck and Gus gets canned, I would be willing to bet Wash would take over HC.

Quote:I agree, as I do with most of your posts. But man the uproar when he was hired compared to our apparent appreciation now as a fanbase at large amuses me.

Probably the reasons many Jags fans were skeptical of the Greg Olson hiring is his overall results didn't look that good on the surface and the overall skepticism that often comes when the losing seasons pile up.   If Bill Belichick would have hired Olson as O/C instead of Gus Bradley  ( with input from the Jags front office ),   the perspective would have been vastly different.    Because Olson is getting very good results with the Jags,  that likely will increase the confidence of many of the team's fans if an Assistant Coach ( es ) is hired by Bradley in the future.   The other part of the equation is if Bradley has the opportunity to hire more Assistant Coaches,  that means the team will have taken major steps forward in 2016.

Quote:This is an interesting topic.

I think if the Jags offense improves like we all kinda assume they will, and Oly moves on, Hackett would be promoted and the system would remain.

I saw an interview with Wash a few years ago when he first got here, and pegged him as a future NFL HC. Im 90% sure I made a thread about it here, but I can't find it.

If he proves to be even an average D coordinator, he will be a head coach in the next couple seasons. In fact, if the Jags suck and Gus gets canned, I would be willing to bet Wash would take over HC.

That would make sense.

;

;

Quote:This is an interesting topic.

Why not keep Oly as HC if Gus is canned so our Offensive staff stays and possibly D too. I don't see Wash has a HC yet.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016, 08:38 AM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:Why not keep Oly as HC if Gus is canned so our Offensive staff stays and possibly D too. I don't see Wash has a HC yet.

They have a guy on staff who has been a head coach in the NFL before and would be the obvious choice.

;

;

Quote:They have a guy on staff who has been a head coach in the NFL before and would be the obvious choice.

Marrone is ok. He did give my number 2 team the Bills their last winning season. But ok coaches are ok. Oly might be something special.

Olson has been a career OC. I don't think he's really even been thought about as a HC candidate, and I don't think that will change now even if this offense blows up.

Trust me, if the coach is "young", say <65 years old, he wants to be a Head Coach. Yeah, there's a lot of responsibility to it but running your own team is the gold ring that most all of these guys chase.

That being said, I think Oly and Wash both will eventually get hired on somewhere else provided their respective groups develop well. And this is the reason why you hire good, young assistants. To have your coaching cupboard stocked for just such an occasion. 

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Olson has been a career OC. I don't think he's really even been thought about as a HC candidate, and I don't think that will change now even if this offense blows up.

He was our assistant HC when Mularkey was here.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Like others have said, if he gets a HC job that means the offense has been really good to elite and we've most likely won a lot more games. 

The key is continuity for this group so Bradley should have a plan for developing Hackett or someone else on the staff to take over.

No problem. If Olson is gone, we will hire Mike Murlakey once the Titans fire him.

as long as allen robinson stays it doesnt matter

Quote:Why not keep Oly as HC if Gus is canned so our Offensive staff stays and possibly D too. I don't see Wash has a HC yet.

Oly looks and talks like a coordinator. I honestly don't see him as a HC in the NFL.

Wash on the other hand is out of NFL HC central casting, imo. He just looks and sounds like the type of guy that teams love. I could see him doing really in the interview process.

That said, I'm not claiming that he would be a great HC. I don't know that he would. He just looks and feels the part to me.

I still don't think Oly would be up until after next season realistically. That being said, Hackett would most likely take over.

You need to change your system every once in a while. Bortles will be a 4th it 5th year QB with a relationship with his WRs since day one. They'll be alright.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

If the GM and HC are on the ball, every position has a succession plan and every replacement is being trained now. So no, I have no fear.

Lol... no one called him "Oly" when he was here before.  Now Gus says it in a presser and it's the new "in" thing.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Oly looks and talks like a coordinator. I honestly don't see him as a HC in the NFL.

Wash on the other hand is out of NFL HC central casting, imo. He just looks and sounds like the type of guy that teams love. I could see him doing really in the interview process.

That said, I'm not claiming that he would be a great HC. I don't know that he would. He just looks and feels the part to me.

Agree on all counts.

I see Wash being a HC sooner rather than later too. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it turned out to be here.

I would love to have this fear honestly. I dont believe he will be gone after this season tho. Think it would take another season to really happen. But until then bring on the wins Big Grin

One additional positive about losing a quality Assistant Coach to a promotion by another team is Assistant Coaching Candidates will probably want to come to the team that lost the quality Assistant. They will see the opportunity as a better way to advance their own coaching careers.