Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Backup QB's...

Quote:Sign Vick

Why bring that PR nightmare in just to be a backup?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Our backups are terrible. Henne hasn't been serviceable since he took over for Gabbert. I hope Allen shapes up and can take over for Henne, but I don't think it will happen this season. If Blake goes down, I would say it is over, but our receivers and running game might still keep us competitive.

Quote:Our backups are bad, but so are the backups for almost every team. It's hard to find a good backup QB. There just aren't that many people that can play that position at a high level. People are getting overly upset over our backup QB situation when in reality it doesn't matter. If bortles goes down, the season is over regardless of our backup. We aren't going to find anyone that is magically a serviceable QB. But on almost all other teams it is the same situation; if their starter gets injured then they are done.

I wouldnt say almost all the teams have a bad backup.. Thats true if we were in the 90's.. But in this day and age where the ball is thrown more teams are preparing for the worst... Its about time the jags do the same.

Don't sleep on Brandon Allen just yet. He has a very natural deep passing arm, and it showed on his first pass that Washington dropped. Grant Allen had another INT, but being a rookie and being a deep armed passer, he's going to have a few of those. Henne with his dink and dunk game has no excuse for looking so utterly horrid and erratic. You can tell that what few skills he once had he's already lost in his old age, and frankly his presence on the Jaguars roster is holding the team back.

Allen has skills worth developing, and the more reps he gets the quicker he'll be ready. There's no need to look for someone else. Just have a little patience and let him come into his own as a player. Just please cut Henne already, and that total good-for-nothing scrub Wittig.

'02

Henne is just loafing. Acting like he doesn't care and happy to be gettin a pay check. He bad. Please keep Bortles healthy.
No commercial messages in sigs

Just for giggles, I thought I'd compare stats between Bortles and Henne. Unfortunately we can't even compare Allen's stats as he only had three pass attempts, one of which was dropped. Wittig completed 1 of 8 attempts and will surely be gone in the first cut down.

• Blake Bortles - 8 of 11 for 85 yards and 2 TDs with a 134.5 qb rating

• Chad Henne - 4 of 10 for 33 yards and 2 INTs with a  31.3 qb rating

Henne's throws were all over the place. He's completely lost it, and at this point carries no value for the team. It's not like he stands a chance to win games should he take over. Should Blake go down, the team would be much better served developing Allen for the future, and just maybe he will win some games as he figures things out. Brandon certainly has the poise and the arm to be successful in time.

'02

It's a concern. I expect Henne to manage capable drives being a veteran now. Especially with No. 2's. Good chance the final preseason game is an open audition for the back up job between him and Allen. If Henne slips and Allen makes something happen it's probably time to move on.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:It's a concern. I expect Henne to manage capable drives being a veteran now. Especially with No. 2's. Good chance the final preseason game is an open audition for the back up job between him and Allen. If Henne slips and Allen makes something happen it's probably time to move on.

Oh yes ... Henne job i believe is at stakes now... He really exposed hisself..

I quite like the look of Allen, I think he has talent.. just needs to develop more.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 05:17 PM by rpr52121.)

Allen played as if things were happening too fast for him and he was bit jittery. Both are things that are to be expected for a rookie QB in their first camp and after no break between draft season and pre-season. Not sure those things will be fixed by Game 1 though. At this point, I would just play him for all of Preseason Game 4 against Atlanta. 

Even considering that Henne was playing with the second team, he looked really out of sync. He and Greene were not on the same page on timed routes. Inaccurate passes and quick trigger with collapsing pocket were worse than before. All those things seem to be much more than just rust, especially for a player we hear is a "true professional". 

The only thing we can hope is that, the Bucs had more familiarity with Henne after playing against him in practice for 2 days so they better knew his tendencies and how to frustrate him.

Sure teams will sort of know that during the season, but if Henne is playing it will normally happen suddenly during a game or Olsen/Gus will use "game-time decision" to mess with other teams like the Patriots do. 

Henne has no future in the NFL. I would cut him keep the rookie and develop him. What are the Jags losing really? A guy that can manage the game? He is a placeholder until the defense comes back on the field. There is no danger of Henne stepping in and winning the game... 

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

"Henne Which Way But Loose". We just can't cut him loose.

Seriously, that orangutan from the movie could be trained to read defenses better than Henne.

Quote:Henne has no future in the NFL. I would cut him keep the rookie and develop him. What are the Jags losing really? A guy that can manage the game? He is a placeholder until the defense comes back on the field. There is no danger of Henne stepping in and winning the game...

He has experience in the system the backup will need to gain. Keep in mind that experience will be limited because Bortles is sure to get the lion share of reps throughout the year.

Let's daydream shall we? Jags cut Henne. Bortles goes down week 8. Allen proves to not be ready. Jags sign backup qb. Qb has to learn a truncated playbook. Game plan is altered to reflect the learning curve. No better off than when we started.

If our biggest concern is a backup QB going into the season, then I'm happy.

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

Quote:He has experience in the system the backup will need to gain. Keep in mind that experience will be limited because Bortles is sure to get the lion share of reps throughout the year.

Let's daydream shall we? Jags cut Henne. Bortles goes down week 8. Allen proves to not be ready. Jags sign backup qb. Qb has to learn a truncated playbook. Game plan is altered to reflect the learning curve. No better off than when we started.

That's not a daydream, that's a nightmare....

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Most teams if the starting QB goes down, the season is over. We are no different. 

Allen clearly needs to develop before taking over as the backup QB. This is Henne's last year but he does know the system and the WRs. He's the best option we have for this year.

Henne has looked awful but on the flip side if Bortles goes does Henne will have a boat load of talent around him. At least if he just slings it up a few times ARob could make him look decent.

Quote:Why bring that PR nightmare in just to be a backup?

Well, never mind that Vick has been horrible for a couple of years.  He was benched for Landry Jones last year in Pittsburgh....Landry Jones.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:He has experience in the system the backup will need to gain. Keep in mind that experience will be limited because Bortles is sure to get the lion share of reps throughout the year.

You its possible Allen could play better then Henne right or even another free agent... Football is Football. Learning Curve wont be that significant when the offense is simplified.. Besides how long are we too wait until Henne shows he is capable of winning a game?? Our lifetime? Ill pass..

How about Jared Lorenzen? He is only 35 and about 315. I bet he can still play. Plus, he'll be tough to bring down.