Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Which TV?

Quote:So we bought a house and I'm upgrading the TV in for the living room. I'm at a roughly $500 budget for the TV. Needs to be 55" or bigger and 4k.

I'm looking at these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BGC39V...op?ie=UTF8

Walmart has this for $398. Value is awesome, I like the Roku built in. My concerns are the refresh rate says 120, but some say it's 60 with some sort of upscaling. And the display looked a little shaky around lines but you can't always trust a display tv that never turns off.

Then there's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IFBWE7...ref=plSrch

Walmart price $498. I like Vizio, the display picture looked a little cleaner. The built in Chromecast is awesome, but no built in smart features like the Roku. So I'd have to stream Netflix or use the Xbox. Not a deal breaker, but an inconvenience. $100 more, but a more trusted name, and has a true 120 refresh.

The TCL actually has better average reviews than the Vizio.

Thoughts? Also, the cost of TV's now is ridiculous. I remember my first flat screen I bought was a 47" 1080p (great for 2007) and it weighed like 100 pounds and cost $1600. I'm getting bigger, lighter, better, for a third of the price...

Yes, prices are dropping but so is longevity.  In the long run, I think value is improving but not to the same level as just pricing comparisons when taking into consideration life of the unit.

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've had a 42" Vizio Smart TV for 5 years. Good TV, apps are crap, never got them working reliably. Wasn't an issue as I had a Roku then Fire TV. Recently bought a 49" Samsung curved screen 4K, great picture, apps work great but just found out it isn't compatible with DirecTV's 4K stream, and also Netflix requires 15 mbps for 4K, my DSL is 15 max so it comes and goes. Bad homework on my part but I'm happy with the TV anyway.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Meh every smart tv i've had/have the smart apps aren't as snappy or intuitive as the ones on my fire tv.  I'll probably skip it again on the next tv I buy and save $100/200 in the process lol. 

Well those BB open boxes aren't available at my store.

The complaints on the Vizio are because it's Chromecast, not Smart TV and it doesn't have a tuner. You have to use a box through HDMI. Which is fine, I haven't used a straight coax tuner know my living room TV in probably 10 years.

I think I'm going to get a 60" version of the Vizio. The TCL doesn't have HDR which is half the point of 4k anyway. From reviews, the Vizio E series have some of the best 4k screens on the market unless you're buying a $2k+ tv
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Meh every smart tv i've had/have the smart apps aren't as snappy or intuitive as the ones on my fire tv.  I'll probably skip it again on the next tv I buy and save $100/200 in the process lol. 

I felt the same way until I got the Samsung. Though not quite as intuitive as the Fire TV, which has Alexa, but recently watched shows/apps used are in a sub-menu and the apps load quickly. There's even a decent web browser.

- Bob Marley

Quote:I felt the same way until I got the Samsung. Though not quite as intuitive as the Fire TV, which has Alexa, but recently watched shows/apps used are in a sub-menu and the apps load quickly. There's even a decent web browser.

Samsung makes a great television.

I have one of them there new-fangled SD CRT TVs. It has a reemote too. Well, it's a long stick with tape around the end.

Quote:Samsung makes a great television.

I bought a Samsung refrigerator ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Well those BB open boxes aren't available at my store.

The complaints on the Vizio are because it's Chromecast, not Smart TV and it doesn't have a tuner. You have to use a box through HDMI. Which is fine, I haven't used a straight coax tuner know my living room TV in probably 10 years.

I think I'm going to get a 60" version of the Vizio. The TCL doesn't have HDR which is half the point of 4k anyway. From reviews, the Vizio E series have some of the best 4k screens on the market unless you're buying a $2k+ tv

Check out the M series instead of E

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://slickdeals.net/f/10015992-vizio-m55-d0-smartcast-55-4k-uhd-hdr-display-600-shipped-at-bjs-com-same-price-for-non-members'>https://slickdeals.net/f/10015992-vizio-m55-d0-smartcast-55-4k-uhd-hdr-display-600-shipped-at-bjs-com-same-price-for-non-members</a>

Well now that I've been able to log on in a second account, I'll fill you guys in.

I was able to find a Samsung 6290 55" 4k for only $500. Killer deal. It's a Smart TV, thinner than the Vizio, has HDR and 120 refresh. I'm extremely happy with it.

Patience and doing your homework always pays off.  Always.  Congrats!

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Samsung makes a great television.

Quote:I bought a Samsung refrigerator ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We have a Samsung electric range, too, and love it.

- Bob Marley