Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
3D Printers

Quote:I'll make one just for you.   :thumbsup:
That ought to be fun explaining to the Mrs.

Mrs: "Honey, what are you making?"

Jagibelieve: "oh, just a rubber fist for a guy I know online."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That ought to be fun explaining to the Mrs.

i imagine that convo happens more than you would think

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:That ought to be fun explaining to the Mrs.

Except I'm using a hard plastic for his fist, no rubber involved.   :devil:

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:i imagine that convo happens more than you would think
Sadly, you're probably right. Even with a twisted mind and weird thoughts, I realize with over 7 billion people on the planet that most anything I can think of has been said or done numerous times over.

Back on topic, I admit I don't know a lot about 3D printers. All I know is they are super cool. And I now know, it'll take shame and embarrassment out of walking into a sex store. Or having a package delivered from one of the stores and UPS accidentally mixes your package with the neighbors and them opening it without double checking the address. That's bad no matter who your neighbor is. But when the Jaguars play bad and your neighbor happens to be your pastor then it really makes Sundays uncomfortable. Sorry, I went off topic again.

Quote:Except I'm using a hard plastic for his fist, no rubber involved.   :devil:
I wanting to say...ouch? But I don't know how a rubber one feels either.

So, what materials are you able to use in the printer? Is it just plastics? ( being serious now)

Quote:Except I'm using a hard plastic for his fist, no rubber involved. :devil:

Talk about feeling the love
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I wanting to say...ouch? But I don't know how a rubber one feels either.

So, what materials are you able to use in the printer? Is it just plastics? ( being serious now)

Right now I've been experimenting with ABS which is a similar plastic used for a lot of things (toys, parts for things, etc.).  As shipped from the factory, ABS and PLA are the supported types of material.  By adding a few different parts, it's possible to print wood based, metal based, carbon fiber based or several other materials.  Now keep in mind, the different materials are still mostly plastic, but embedded with said materials.  There is a "rubbery" kind of material that can be bought that can be used to make say a cell phone "jacket".

So far the machine has been useful to me in a productive way.  Our refrigerator had a part that was broken which involved a "flapper" that closes and seals the door (dual door refrigerator).  I drew up a new part after measuring the pieces of the old part, and it's "good as new" once again.

My grandson LOVES legos and really wanted one of the "things" available in a lego kit.  I managed to make one for him, though it isn't perfect (yet).

The default materials supported have their pro's and con's.

ABS - It is much stronger and can withstand heat pretty good.  Imagine making a cell phone holder for your car and having it sit in the heat during the day.  The downside is that it's not really "environmentally friendly".

PLA - It's a little less expensive to buy the material and is "environmentally friendly" in that it's biodegradable.  The downsides to it vs. ABS is that it's not as strong and can't withstand heat as much.  Per my example about a cell phone holder for your car, it will melt in the heat of the day if left in your car.  That being said, the material is still useful for other things.

Now for me personally, I'm not as concerned about a material being "environmentally friendly", but if there is a better alternative available that is environmentally friendly then I will most certainly use it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Right now I've been experimenting with ABS which is a similar plastic used for a lot of things (toys, parts for things, etc.).  As shipped from the factory, ABS and PLA are the supported types of material.  By adding a few different parts, it's possible to print wood based, metal based, carbon fiber based or several other materials.  Now keep in mind, the different materials are still mostly plastic, but embedded with said materials.  There is a "rubbery" kind of material that can be bought that can be used to make say a cell phone "jacket".

So far the machine has been useful to me in a productive way.  Our refrigerator had a part that was broken which involved a "flapper" that closes and seals the door (dual door refrigerator).  I drew up a new part after measuring the pieces of the old part, and it's "good as new" once again.

My grandson LOVES legos and really wanted one of the "things" available in a lego kit.  I managed to make one for him, though it isn't perfect (yet).

The default materials supported have their pro's and con's.

ABS - It is much stronger and can withstand heat pretty good.  Imagine making a cell phone holder for your car and having it sit in the heat during the day.  The downside is that it's not really "environmentally friendly".

PLA - It's a little less expensive to buy the material and is "environmentally friendly" in that it's biodegradable.  The downsides to it vs. ABS is that it's not as strong and can't withstand heat as much.  Per my example about a cell phone holder for your car, it will melt in the heat of the day if left in your car.  That being said, the material is still useful for other things.

Now for me personally, I'm not as concerned about a material being "environmentally friendly", but if there is a better alternative available that is environmentally friendly then I will most certainly use it.

I'm going to end up with one of these things at some point.  Which means I'm going to have to learn how to use autocad or something similar at some point :/   I'm already messing with a damn raspberri pi and building an arcade, and working rubix cube ottomon for my living room/couch.  I have too many projects and not enough money haha.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Sounds like the ABS would be the go to material for most stuff. Very informative post, and I thank you. But your post also shows just how little I know about it. Sounds like I need to do some research.

I heard some where that there was a concern, or perhaps it's been done, that people might build guns with the printers. Obviously, these would not get picked up by metal detectors. Although the rounds might, idk. Would a gun made out of these materials even be strong enoug to hold up to use? Not that I would use it for that, I'm sure it wouldn't be safe and highly illegal, but I guess I'm just curios as to its capabilities. After all, with very cool new technology, app, or service there seems to be many news stories following them with the sickos of the world using them for unintended purposes or for illegal activities.

Quote:I'm going to end up with one of these things at some point.  Which means I'm going to have to learn how to use autocad or something similar at some point :/   I'm already messing with a damn raspberri pi and building an arcade, and working rubix cube ottomon for my living room/couch.  I have too many projects and not enough money haha.

Most of the software available for 3D printing is free and easy to use.  The Raspberry Pi is a great learning tool, especially for those not familiar with Linux or programming.  I happen to have a few of them.  One of the projects that I'm considering doing involving 3D printing as well as a Raspberry Pi is a mini NES game system for my grandson.  I am trying to teach him (when I can) how to do this stuff.

Quote:Sounds like the ABS would be the go to material for most stuff. Very informative post, and I thank you. But your post also shows just how little I know about it. Sounds like I need to do some research.

I heard some where that there was a concern, or perhaps it's been done, that people might build guns with the printers. Obviously, these would not get picked up by metal detectors. Although the rounds might, idk. Would a gun made out of these materials even be strong enoug to hold up to use? Not that I would use it for that, I'm sure it wouldn't be safe and highly illegal, but I guess I'm just curios as to its capabilities. After all, with very cool new technology, app, or service there seems to be many news stories following them with the sickos of the world using them for unintended purposes or for illegal activities.

There have been successful builds of firearms as well as other weapons using a 3D printer.  As far as firearms, they won't hold up and would be extremely dangerous.  However, just last night I did print out a knife that while it's just plastic, it can be deadly.  It certainly won't cut very well, but it is strong enough to penetrate a human and could be used for stabbing.  That being said, in prisons prisoners have used filed toothbrushes as weapons.

At the consumer level at this point, it's becoming affordable enough to have a machine that can make not only cool things, but useful things.  I work with electronics quite a bit, and I managed to design a storage system that I plan to print out in the future to hold small parts (king of like the plastic storage bins that you see for small screws at Home Depot or Lowes).  As I stated above, for something like this I am planning to use PLA since I don't have the requirements of the durability of ABS.  At least if I make a mistake, it's biodegradable and doesn't harm the environment (and no I am not a "tree hugger").

Quote:What gets me is that we've developed devices that are rather complicated, yet haven't come up with a better word than "printer" for them.

They aren't printers.
Excellent point, get some people on that right away.  I want game film and surveillance video fixed at the same time. 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:I'm with you, they should call it a creator.

It's almost more of a modeler.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I have a flash forge creator pro and use it for all sorts of things. Not sex toys though Smile they can be quite handy but I've been teaching myself computer aided design along the way. 3D printing or additive manufacturing is being used in industry and has been for some time it's just not becoming affordable as a consumer