Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
13 moves that destroyed Downtown Jacksonville

Quote:That's putting it mildly. And not in the way you would think.

Sounds interesting!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I remember awhile back naming FBC as a force holding back downtown and Jax in general. I got a pm from another poster getting defensive about it. I'm pretty sure if I had continued I would have been arrested and taken to a morality "camp".
Huh

Downtown Jax was destroyed mainly by a lot of really poor and bad decisions made by many of the people/committees whose job is what to make those decisions, over a long period of time.

There just wasn't any really good decision-making leaders or decision-making committees who had the vision and foresight to really expand and grow downtown Jax into what it should have become to consider it a successful booming downtown area.

When you think of what it could have become, it really is a shame.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote: I think along with Khan, this can get done. It'll take some time, but it'll get there.
I wonder if he tried, whether Khan could run for mayor and win.

Quote:I remember awhile back naming FBC as a force holding back downtown and Jax in general. I got a pm from another poster getting defensive about it. I'm pretty sure if I had continued I would have been arrested and taken to a morality "camp".
FBC hasn't held the same kind of influence over what happens downtown in a decade or more.  Their last hurrah was preventing the Super Bowl festivities from making it to Hemming Park because they didn't want the alcohol in the area.  Since then, the city has hosted multiple events including the One Spark events that allow alcohol sales and all sorts of things that would have never been allowed previously.  They've been humbled quite a bit by the downturn in the economy that has left them with fewer butts in pews. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:There is. It's called First Baptist Church.
It's not just FBC.  That's simply one element.  There are a lot of old-timers here in Jacksonville who can't stand any of the sprawl this city has experienced over the past 30-40 years or so.  I know people who would be quite content for Jacksonville to go back to being an afterthought, and more of a big small town.  Nothing wrong with that except logistically that was never going to continue.  The city has too much to offer.

This slide show talks about 13 things that happened that destroyed downtown, but honestly, what really happened is that Jacksonville grew up, and spread to fill the more than 800 square miles of territory it encompasses.  Companies came in and built in areas like Baymeadows and then the Gate Parkway and Tinseltown areas, and that's where the city migrated to.  People moved away from downtown to the much more modern, newer centers of commerce in the city.   50 years from now there will be a new center of commerce in the city, and those areas will be wondering what happened.  It's the nature of the beast. 

To be quite honest, downtown is exactly what you see in most mid-sized metropolitan areas.  Lots of commerce during the day, and a dead zone at night. 

With people starting to move back into the area with developments in Brooklyn, downtown, and Springfield, the downtown area will see at least somewhat of a renaissance, but the only way you're going to see the bustle that was there half a century ago is if the rest of the city just burns down and it's the last area standing.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2016, 10:06 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

FBT, your post reminded me of Recency. People who came here later in their lives refuse to believe me when I tell them Regency was once a happening place and the town center/TT were a forrest. I still remember when SS Blvd dead ended at Touchton!

Quote:FBT, your post reminded me of Recency. People who came here later in their lives refuse to believe me when I tell them Regency was once a happening place and the town center/TT were a forrest. I still remember when SS Blvd dead ended at Touchton!
I remember this as well. Regency Square Mall was the place to go. The last time I was there in 2008ish it was a shell of it's former self. The Town Center is now, what- 10 years old already? I haven't been there in about 6 years. I assume it's aging well.

Quote:I remember this as well. Regency Square Mall was the place to go. The last time I was there in 2008ish it was a shell of it's former self. The Town Center is now, what- 10 years old already? I haven't been there in about 6 years. I assume it's aging well.
I don't know, I went to Town Center in December 2014 and it looked fine to me. I went to Avenues as well but that was just a mall. I didn't go to Regency though, mainly because I don't like getting stabbed. 

Quote:I don't know, I went to Town Center in December 2014 and it looked fine to me. I went to Avenues as well but that was just a mall. I didn't go to Regency though, mainly because I don't like getting stabbed. 
There you go.  Arlington has declined which to me with all of the river front available is unbelievable.  So much wasted potential with the waterfront the Arlington area has.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:I remember this as well. Regency Square Mall was the place to go. The last time I was there in 2008ish it was a shell of it's former self. The Town Center is now, what- 10 years old already? I haven't been there in about 6 years. I assume it's aging well.

Aging well is an understatement.  There's always something new.  They just started building a big Tesla service and sales center to replace the big forever 21 building (there's already a single car Tesla showroom here), and they're also starting development on the completely empty space directly across the street from the town center.  If you haven't been since 2008 it's completely different.  They've added Nordstrum, Microsoft store, a bunch of other stuff, etc ...  They had a Macklemore concert at the grand opening of the Microsoft store, and a fashion show at the opening of Nordstrum.  But my favorite was when Kellie Pickler played a concert dead in the center and completely broke the town center.

Quote:I don't know, I went to Town Center in December 2014 and it looked fine to me. I went to Avenues as well but that was just a mall. I didn't go to Regency though, mainly because I don't like getting stabbed. 

I went to the Regency mall a couple years ago.  It is one of the most bizarre things.  If I remember correctly there were a few stores on one side of the mall which maybe took up 20% of the mall.  If you keep walking the other 80% of the mall is completely abandoned.  Not even run down, it almost looked like that part was mostly new, just completely empty.  It felt like a horror movie.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Quote:There you go. Arlington has declined which to me with all of the river front available is unbelievable. So much wasted potential with the waterfront the Arlington area has.

East Arlington area is still nice and always has been. I grew up in this area and live in Hidden Hills currently. People always group Arlington together and associate it with Regency area. There are still nice parts. I love this area of town. Homes were built when builders still took pride in their craft, you can't touch the neighbors house while touching your own house, and traffic is great. Down side is there aren't many restaurants in the area, but like everything else in Jacksonville, everything you need is 15 minutes away.

Quote:To be quite honest, downtown is exactly what you see in most mid-sized metropolitan areas.  Lots of commerce during the day, and a dead zone at night. 

Downtown Jacksonville is pretty packed during the downtown art walk on Laura street from the Landing to Hemming park.   But that's just once a month.  

Quote:Aging well is an understatement.  There's always something new.  They just started building a big Tesla service and sales center to replace the big forever 21 building (there's already a single car Tesla showroom here), and they're also starting development on the completely empty space directly across the street from the town center.  If you haven't been since 2008 it's completely different.  They've added Nordstrum, Microsoft store, a bunch of other stuff, etc ...  They had a Macklemore concert at the grand opening of the Microsoft store, and a fashion show at the opening of Nordstrum.  But my favorite was when Kellie Pickler played a concert dead in the center and completely broke the town center.

I think the last time I wad at the Town Center was 2010 or 2011. I wanted to go by when I was down for Christmas but big crowds, especially during the holiday season, is not a good idea for me. Panic attacks ensue which can lead to some anger issues and I don't want to be arrested. Lol.

I worked in the old City Hall, and remember my first time on the top floor looking at the view of the river. To my left was the Duval County courthouse, and between both the courthouse and City Hall and the river were parking lots. River front parking lots. The lack of vision in this one example was astounding.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote: 

To be quite honest, downtown is exactly what you see in most mid-sized metropolitan areas.  Lots of commerce during the day, and a dead zone at night. 

With people starting to move back into the area with developments in Brooklyn, downtown, and Springfield, the downtown area will see at least somewhat of a renaissance, but the only way you're going to see the bustle that was there half a century ago is if the rest of the city just burns down and it's the last area standing.

Actually, FBT, I've seen the opposite in my travels.

For all we make fun of our similar-sized AFC South rivals, both Indy and Nashville have incredibly vibrant downtowns at night.  In fact, I'd say Jax is unique in creating so many dead spots - night or day - around it's downtown area.  It's been pushed to the suburbs not just because that's what happens in your average mid-sized city, but by some really poor planning and policies.  Look at Charleston or Savannah on the small side, for example.  Both cities took measures to make sure their inner city offered pleasant, if not exciting, alternatives to the charms of suburban day and night life.

I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I have heard stories about how the city was practically dead and buried, only to re-invent itself in the 80s and 90s.  Perhaps with similar policies, Jax can enjoy the same renaissance.

Quote:I worked in the old City Hall, and remember my first time on the top floor looking at the view of the river. To my left was the Duval County courthouse, and between both the courthouse and City Hall and the river were parking lots. River front parking lots. The lack of vision in this one example was astounding.

It's astonishing how Jacksonville has let such a tremendous asset go virtually unexploited for so long. A generational change is the only thing that will spur forward development in this city, and I think Shad Khan is the catalyst.

Quote:It's astonishing how Jacksonville has let such a tremendous asset go virtually unexploited for so long. A generational change is the only thing that will spur forward development in this city, and I think Shad Khan is the catalyst.
I think you are correct.  Look at what he has already proposed for the shipyards.  

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Here is another example of the inability of long term thinking.  The new Brooklyn area is coming along nicely.  This could be a catalyst to making the convention center more of an asset.  What does the city do?  The parking lots in front of the convention center are to become new HUD/Section 8 housing.  This is not how you revitalize a city.

Quote:I worked in the old City Hall, and remember my first time on the top floor looking at the view of the river. To my left was the Duval County courthouse, and between both the courthouse and City Hall and the river were parking lots. River front parking lots. The lack of vision in this one example was astounding.
As astounding as a riverfront jail.