Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Toddler dragged by alligator into lake at Grand Floridian

Quote:As tacky as it is, some people use humor as a coping mechanism.

I completely understand that. And I'm actually a frequent user of humor to cope.

But you can tell a difference between coping humor and not. What I've been hearing has been a little more hateful/spiteful than coping IMO.

I bite my tongue around them though, you never really know which way it goes.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I completely understand that. And I'm actually a frequent user of humor to cope.

But you can tell a difference between coping humor and not. What I've been hearing has been a little more hateful/spiteful than coping IMO.

I bite my tongue around them though, you never really know which way it goes.

Yeah...some people are just [BAD WORD REMOVED] holes.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Been a rough couple of days for Orlando.

^ I agree... just wow

Nightmare. Parents may be having suicidal thoughts. As far as dark humor goes, I have it at times...but something like this? No. I believe in karma then. Not that it's excusable, but with time, it's sometimes not as harsh. But then again...would you repeat it to the parents? Loved ones from the Pulse massacre?

I can't imagine how the parents are feeling...two year old, can't find him, probably eaten. Ugh.

Last attack was in 1986... Kid had minor injury on Disney property.
Blakes Life Matters

Horrible freak accident. Consider the amount of traffic that's been there since the last attack. It's safe, relatively speaking, if you just imagine the numbers.

These things happen, and I feel horrible for the family. I almost wish the child drowned already before the gator started to eat him.

A few weeks ago a lady in Virginia Beach died got hit by a rogue beach umbrella during high winds. What can you do?

Seems kind of odd to have beach access to entire resort in a lake with alligators.

[Image: Grand_beach1_thumb.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016, 04:40 PM by Ringo.)

They found the boy...apparently whole, however deceased. I know that sounds rough, but under the circumstances, I'm somewhat surprised.

Now they want to make sure they have the right gator...they have 5 captured. So...let the four go if they figure they got the killer? If they can't figure it...belts, shoes and fried gator tail...endangered my piss
Blakes Life Matters

It's a positive that the family can have some closure, but still awful.

Looks like they found the young boy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/...gged-into/

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Seems kind of odd to have beach access to entire resort in a lake with alligators.

Because it's the first fatality in 45 years?

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Seems kind of odd to have beach access to entire resort in a lake with alligators.

It's no different then swimming in Doctor's Lake, or Black Creek here in Clay County. Actually Seven Seas lagoon would be much safer, although I wouldn't touch any body of water after dark. 

Gators are routinely removed from the bodies of water on Disney property. It takes little to no time for another, or more Gators to find a body of water. We are home to hundreds of thousands of Gators. I used to live on a retention pond. We'd have a gator removed and a new one would show up in a couple days. Just the nature of, well, nature in Florida. This is no one's fault. Not the parents, not the resort/Disney, not the parents. Just a tragic accident. 

;

Quote:I just wonder how Disney chose not to at least have an alligator trapper patrol these waters on occasion to make sure one doesn't get in. If they're allowing guests to lounge on the shore, shouldn't they assume some responsibility to ensure this doesn't happen?
They do, routinely.

;

Quote:You'd think they'd at least do like some of the fancy resorts on the ocean do and put up a barrier to stop stuff from getting to the area where guests are.
No barrier will stop a Gator. These guys can get on land and go wherever they want. Heck these guys are found in sewers all the time going to bodies of water. 

;

Quote:It is terribly sad and I cannot imagine what the parents are going through.   The headlines are a bit misleading though.  The child was in the water, not up on shore.

"The attack happened at an area of the lagoon where “no swimming” signs were posted, Demings said. The boy wasn’t swimming in the water, but playing on the edge, about a foot or two into the water, Williamson said."

The Seven Seas lagoon connects to multiple other bodies of water and there is no way to keep alligators out of water in Florida.   One has to assume that any natural body of water in Florida has Alligators, Snakes or other potentially hazardous things in it.   

It was a mistake to allow the child to enter the water.  The alligator just did what alligators do unfortunately.  Horrible price to pay for a mistake.   Prayers for the family.
You got it.

;

Quote:The problem is, being on Disney property creates a false sense of security. You would at least expect Disney to put some type of barriers between the lake and beach areas that are popular places to watch the fireworks. 

Once again, it is just unfortunate, and fingers can be pointed at both parties on what could have been different. It's not like the kid was alone or anything. The father was close enough to actually touch the gator when he went in after him.

Just a terrible situation.
So the no swimming signs aren't good enough? No barrier will keep a gator out of a body of water.

;

Quote:They found the boy...apparently whole, however deceased. I know that sounds rough, but under the circumstances, I'm somewhat surprised.

Now they want to make sure they have the right gator...they have 5 captured. So...let the four go if they figure they got the killer? If they can't figure it...belts, shoes and fried gator tail...endangered my
Not really surprising.  A lot of times, alligator attacks usually aren't about feeding, but about protecting a nest or territory.  If it's about feeding, they'll normally drown their victims to consume later. 

Earlier reports indicated they euthanized the alligators they captured so that they could at least eliminate them from consideration for taking the child.  Can't really open one up, and then nurse them back to health afterward. 

According to the FWC representative, Disney monitors the activity of alligators on the property, and remove those that appear to be more comfortable around humans.  They either call in a trapper, or they have staff to handle euthanizing them if there's a perceived threat. 

As far as being surprised that the alligators would be on Disney property, I think most above have nailed it.  Alligators can be found all over the place in Florida.  If there's water, they somehow find a way there.  I've got good friends who live on a pond in an upscale neighborhood.  They've got some great pictures of alligators wandering up into their yard.  That usually is followed by a call to a trapper to deal with it.  Barriers are only partially effective.  You'd have to build a Trump wall to keep them completely out of an area as alligators will find a way to get into an area if there's food and a water source. 

This is a tragic incident where nobody did anything wrong.  It happens.  The lesson here is that it's never completely safe to go near any body of water in Florida after the sun sets because you don't know what's lurking. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016, 05:51 PM by BklynJag.)

My heart is absolutely broken over this story just thinking about it. I have a 2 year old and it makes me sick thinking if that happened to my son.

My question is, Why did the father give up? I know damn sure if that was me i would have held on to that gator or die trying.

Quote:My heart is absolutely broken over this story just thinking about it. I have a 2 year old and it makes me sick thinking if that happened to my son.

My question is, Why did the father give up? I know damn sure if that was me i would have held on to that gator or die trying.

Nobody knows to what extent the father tried. The mother jumped in as well.

Quote:Not really surprising.  A lot of times, alligator attacks usually aren't about feeding, but about protecting a nest or territory.  If it's about feeding, they'll normally drown their victims to consume later. 

Earlier reports indicated they euthanized the alligators they captured so that they could at least eliminate them from consideration for taking the child.  Can't really open one up, and then nurse them back to health afterward. 

According to the FWC representative, Disney monitors the activity of alligators on the property, and remove those that appear to be more comfortable around humans.  They either call in a trapper, or they have staff to handle euthanizing them if there's a perceived threat. 

As far as being surprised that the alligators would be on Disney property, I think most above have nailed it.  Alligators can be found all over the place in Florida.  If there's water, they somehow find a way there.  I've got good friends who live on a pond in an upscale neighborhood.  They've got some great pictures of alligators wandering up into their yard.  That usually is followed by a call to a trapper to deal with it.  Barriers are only partially effective.  You'd have to build a Trump wall to keep them completely out of an area as alligators will find a way to get into an area if there's food and a water source. 

This is a tragic incident where nobody did anything wrong.  It happens.  The lesson here is that it's never completely safe to go near any body of water in Florida after the sun sets because you don't know what's lurking.

This is so very true.  There is a small retention pond next to a building that I used to work in at NAS Jax.  The pond is not very big, maybe the size of an average back yard of a typical Florida home.  We had seen a gator in there from time-to-time during the day and watched it grow from a very small maybe 3 feet long to larger.  Mind you, the pond is close to other bodies of water including a golf course and of course the river.  I remember taking a break with a coworker at night, and we walked out near the pond.  As we walked near the pond we heard a rustle in the bushes nearby and a large splash.  Needless to say we got away from the area pretty quickly.  We never actually saw it, but I'm sure it was our gator.

Typically they are more afraid of you than you are of them.  I've encountered them on many occasions on many different bodies of water.  Usually they will go away if you get close.  They also don't stay in just one body of water when it comes to ponds or even lakes, they move around and kind of "range".  However, the problem is that people will tend to start feeding them.  When they do that, the gators lose their natural fear of humans.

This is a very sad tragedy indeed.  I speculate that the gator that attacked the little boy was probably fed by humans at some point.  Most people in Florida aren't really familiar with how gators are let alone people that visit from places that don't have alligators.  When people from different areas see one, they might be inclined to throw food at it to get a closer look at it, especially if it appears to be a smaller one.

I can't imagine how the family must feel right now.  I am thankful that they at least were able to recover the little boy's body intact so that perhaps there could be some closure for them.  We can't fault Disney, we can't pass blame to the family and we certainly can't fault the animal.  It was just an unfortunate tragedy.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.