Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Any Swimming Pool Problem Solvers Here?

Quote:Oh, I've done it all. Had pebbletek surfacing after marcite was history. Changed from sand filter to cartridge( filters much better). I have a polaris type cleaner that I put in once a week usually and keep 4 all-in-one tablets in a floater. Shock with 2 gallons a liquid chlorine about every 3 weeks. Money spent is worth it to us.
You shock every 3 weeks in Summer?

The majority of a pool expense is running the pump. The variable speed pumps they have now are awesome, but there is no sense in replacing a perfectly good 1 speed pump if it isn't broken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You shock every 3 weeks in Summer?

The majority of a pool expense is running the pump. The variable speed pumps they have now are awesome, but there is no sense in replacing a perfectly good 1 speed pump if it isn't broken.
Yeah, every 3 weeks normally. Sometimes two if it's had a heavy swim load. Variable speed pump for me soon as a bearing is starting to whine in my current unit. I will do that install myself . It won't be that brutal monetarily. I look forward to the silence as you can barely hear them run. It's not a huge pool by any means. Shape is called Somoa kinda kidney bean shape. 15,000 gallons.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I have the same problem with my pool during the summer. I have to refill it probably once a week just to make sure that the pump will have enough water running through the skimmer at night when the timer goes off. I have a small in ground pool as well. Fiberglass with vinyl lining. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2016, 08:02 AM by Perkolater.)

Quote:Im checking the evaporation process now ( bucket of water on pool step ) but it seems im losing more than normal...anyway...is there a way to check for leaks besides an expensive call to a leak finder? Its not a major drop, and perhaps it is evaporation, but something is bothering me about this..any thoughts? ( In ground )

Thanks

As hot as it has been, it may well just be evaporation.  I'd wait to see what the bucket test shows before buying a leak test kit.   

Oh and I use my pool every possible day.   We are considering moving and one of my requirements for the next house is to have a pool.   Wouldn't want to NOT have one.    I have at 13,000 Gallon Pebbletek pool with a SWG.  Other than shocking every few weeks I have no problems.  Had an algae bloom once last year, but shocked the crap out of it and that was that.  

I'll switch to a variable speed pump when my existing pump bites the dust too.

Lesson learned..

The ring and gasket around the light had slowly disintegrated. The leak was there. It's been in there for many many years, but one reason for this is not keeping water balanced. Vinyl liner types are notorious for ph bounce, and needs to checked for that. If you need to increase ph, save some money and just get baking soda....sodium bicarbonate.

My water is usually looking fine, but I didn't check it as often as I should.

99 degree predicted high Friday? Money well spent. Although I hated it.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Im checking the evaporation process now ( bucket of water on pool step ) but it seems im losing more than normal...anyway...is there a way to check for leaks besides an expensive call to a leak finder? Its not a major drop, and perhaps it is evaporation, but something is bothering me about this..any thoughts? ( In ground )

Thanks

We didn't have much money growing up so this was pretty much our swimming pool.  If you need any help with your sprinkler, just let me know.

[Image: 7b69d9c4111d1012a72a451f2fcf02ad.jpg]

Quote:Swimming pools in the summer in Florida are the equivalent of taking care of a child.

Yes, and 10% of the population neglect both.

Quote:Yes, and 10% of the population neglect both.

Figure it is way more than that.

Duct tape

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

For those that have heated pools, what type of pool covers do you use during cooler months?

Have you tried the liquid solution pool "cover"?

Quote:For those that have heated pools, what type of pool covers do you use during cooler months?

Have you tried the liquid solution pool "cover"?

I use a liquid solution to warm my neighbor's pool. He's puzzled by the yella tinge.

Quote:Cement ponds are overrated. I've never had one and never will.

Honestly, does anyone use theirs enough to justify the cost and effort?
The cost is the biggest thing, but I think my homeowners insurance increase every couple years is the biggest cost...I enjoy my pool very much...I had an above ground pool I hated because it really wasn't deep enough or big enough to actually swim in and it was round...I didn't enjoy swimming in 5 foot water in an 18 foot circle so I put an in ground pool that goes from 3 to 8 feet  

Quote:I love mine.. Use it constantly.. Plus I like to experiment with the pool chemicals.
I did too, until I started getting bloody noses and developed an ulcer.

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

Beware pool owners.  My first house had a pool that I took care of religiously for five years before I sold it.  I still have dreams that I go out to the pool and it's all green and algae-filled.  That pool will literally haunt your dreams for the rest of your life.

<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>