Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Does anybody think Frangie does a good job as the Jaguars PBP voice?

Quote:I liked Sexton 100x more. I don't think he's the best, but the thing I always got from him is authenticity. When the Jags made a big play, the excitement is obvious in his voice. When the Jaguars lose, the disappointment is clear.

Frangie sounds fake.

It never sounds genuine when the team makes a big play.  It sounds like someone badly imitating someone who is calling the play.  The guy is just awful, but when you own a piece of the radio station that has the flagship connection, you have some sway over who is in the broadcast booth.  Frangie fancies himself to be the next Jim Nantz, but he's more like Emmitt Smith in the broadcast booth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGT08DTk3NM

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016, 12:27 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:Agreed, but you had certain posters who were comparing him to what they were hearing in their local markets like Philly and NY. Sexton was the voice of the Jaguars for nearly 20 years. He kind of grew up as a broadcaster during that time, and got better with age. I had a chance to speak with him after the switch was made, and he was somewhat disappointed that he wasn't in the booth any longer, but was really looking forward to going back to work for the team. His current role has him working on all of the digital content on the site, and coordinating with the NFL Network on all of this material. He's loving the new gig, but I think if asked, he'd jump back into the booth in a heartbeat.
Um, I AM from Philly and I never understood the love affair with Merrill Reese. He was OK, and I listened to him because I had to.

The Steelers long time play-by-play guy...don't even get me started on him. Mercifully, he's gone now. Who knows, maybe it's because I just had to listen to him at the in-laws. But I though Myron Cope was a blithering idiot.

And both of these guys were/are considered some kind of 'icon'.....whatever.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Add me to list of people who liked Sexton. Haven't heard any of this new guy yet, but he sounds so bad, I may have to turn on the Sirius radio on during a game this season just to hear him.

I don't mind Frangie on PBP, but in fairness I don't mind anyone
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

I like sexton don't get the hate on him at all. Now Frangie .....I don't even bother
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Sexton > Frangie by a mile.

They're just waiting on Tebow.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM by TravC59.)

Whether true or not, everything seems forced and manufactured from Frangie on big plays. Just no true excitement whatsoever. As some on here know, I am a big backer of 1010, and even Frangie to a point on the radio show/s. But, when it comes to the play by play, it is just not good.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Um, I AM from Philly and I never understood the love affair with Merrill Reese. He was OK, and I listened to him because I had to.

The Steelers long time play-by-play guy...don't even get me started on him. Mercifully, he's gone now. Who knows, maybe it's because I just had to listen to him at the in-laws. But I though Myron Cope was a blithering idiot.

And both of these guys were/are considered some kind of 'icon'.....whatever.
Well, the particular barstool diva I was referring to as one of the complainers also used the NY market as the measuring stick for what we should have here.  I never understood the hate, except for the fact that this particular poster was probably just jealous that someone like Sexton could land the PBP spot for the Jaguars, while all he could accomplish was avoiding splatter burns.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I probably don't hear the guy 1/100th as much as most of you, but I thought he got a lot better in his second year as PBP.

Way less Marble Mouth.

They killed my interest in listening to the radio broadcast on head phones in the stadium or during away games with the tv volume turned down when they brought in Frangie.  Sexton wasn't bad by comparison.

Really don't care for Frangie as PBP.

Thought that Sexton was alright as a PBP guy, but that could be because I grew up listening to the guy call the games, guess I'm biased.

I would definitely like for us to bring someone else in as the PBP guy, I listen to the games on the radio about 91% less than I used to since Frangie was brought in.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Quote:I probably don't hear the guy 1/100th as much as most of you, but I thought he got a lot better in his second year as PBP.

Way less Marble Mouth.
Maybe you are right, but it was still terrible.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I've gone from not liking him at all to tolerating him.  I was never crazy about Sexton but at least he was competent.  Luckily I don't listen to the radio play by play much anymore.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2016, 05:52 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Sounds like he has marbles in his mouth. No, he is not good. I actually liked Sexton but I am a minority on that.

I liked Sexton, too.   He was way better than Frangie.  

But whether they selected Frangie, or sold the rights to the broadcast to him, I understand why the Jags did it.   By letting Frangie do it, they got a powerful local radio personality to be a Jaguars homer.   If you want the local media on your side, make them part of the team.  That's a pretty smart thing to do.   I'll bet it was Mark Lamping's idea.  He's a smart guy.  

Quote:I liked Sexton, too.   He was way better than Frangie.  

But whether they selected Frangie, or sold the rights to the broadcast to him, I understand why the Jags did it.   By letting Frangie do it, they got a powerful local radio personality to be a Jaguars homer.   If you want the local media on your side, make them part of the team.  That's a pretty smart thing to do.   I'll bet it was Mark Lamping's idea.  He's a smart guy.

That's kind of what I always suspected as well.

Frangie does a pretty good job, in my opinion. He's a competent guy in the booth. Sexton's voice is much more distinctive and he can build suspense and excitement more effectively. 

Quote:Frangie does a pretty good job, in my opinion. He's a competent guy in the booth. Sexton's voice is much more distinctive and he can build suspense and excitement more effectively. 

What I liked about Sexton was his ability to convey a sense of disgust about the product on the field while still being a homer.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:What I liked about Sexton was his ability to convey a sense of disgust about the product on the field while still being a homer.

That's a pretty good description of Sexton's positive quality.  What I didn't like that very generic sounding voice and his tendency towards arrogance with the fans.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.