Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will Gus be able to take the Jacksonville Jags to the promise land this season

Gus seems like a great guy, all i'm saying is that his going into his fourth season and has a 25% winning percentage.  When will we stop making execuses.  The least he can take us to is a a division playoff game.  I believe

this is the minimum bar threshold that he needs to cross for him to keep his job.  Yes blake Bortles threw for almost 4500 and 40, but did that get us any more wins this past season. If you call adding one win

a step in the right direction then this rebuilding process is going to take 20yrs before he takes us to the playoffs?.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Too much emphasis on coaching.

Jags may be on the rise, but theyre simply not talented enough in terms of perosonnel to earn a trip to the 'promised land' in the next couple years. Who is heading the ship makes no difference. You have to have promised-land level players.

Wishin Gus all the best. I know coaches get absurdly disproportionate credit/blame. At least hes gettin his chance at a head job. Im sure he'll be gone by the time this roster is even readyfor a promised-land run.

No.

Good guy but not a good enough coach.  I don't see this team ever winning with him at head coach.

Quote:Too much emphasis on coaching.

Jags may be on the rise, but theyre simply not talented enough in terms of perosonnel to earn a trip to the 'promised land' in the next couple years. Who is heading the ship makes no difference. You have to have promised-land level players.

Wishin Gus all the best. I know coaches get absurdly disproportionate credit/blame. At least hes gettin his chance at a head job. Im sure he'll be gone by the time this roster is even readyfor a promised-land run.

At one time, you would have been correct. But in 2016, I don't think talent will be an issue.

I think he can and will.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

I doubt it!

The fact that this question is even being asked about a coach going into his fourth season is all the answer you need.

2016 will be remembered only for the complete waste it ended up being by trying to push further ahead down a dead end alley.

Quote:I can't wait to tell the haters I told you so....

Haha funny guy. You probably said the same with Gene Smith and Mularkey.

Quote:The fact that this question is even being asked about a coach going into his fourth season is all the answer you need.

2016 will be remembered only for the complete waste it ended up being by trying to push further ahead down a dead end alley.

Pretty much. 

Gus is terrible.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Quote:It looks like his skill set is best suited to go the other direction

The "un-promised land"??

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Ask Gus in November

Ask us in November

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

No

He awfool
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Gus is a joke but we may just have enough talent on this team now and in the future for it not to matter

Yeah, all world talent with .500 results.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I did not know Gus had a one year extension, and  Khan acknowledged that a winning record is "everybody's reasonable expectation at this point."

Sounds like Gus needs 10 wins this year or its the axe

No one can be too sure. There are a lot of examples one can use to support their arguement.

You could say yes, he will lead us to the promise land this year for the following reasons:

He has a history of being successful at seattle.

The Jaguars' roster was decimated when he was hired and now it finally appears to be built well enough.

Players are growing more experienced.

This is his first head coaching gig and he's learning from his mistakes.

You could say no, he won't lead us to the promise land this year for the following reasons:

His head coaching record is historically bad. A better head coach could have gotten more wins, even with the roster we had.

Gus Bradley is thought to be a defensive minded coach, yet that unit has been extremely lackluster.

There are obviously many more examples and one can get really indepth with their arguement, but we can't really be too sure at this point in Gus' career. This season will be a strong indicator of what Gus is capable of. I honestly hope he can deliver the excitement fans have been anxiously waiting for.

TL;DR version: Suck it, there is none. Be a MAN, or WOMAN, and just read the damn thing.

I'm going to simplify this for our more "simple minded" folk on the board who grew up watching rash amounts of college football and expecting the NFL to be similar whilst turning their bodies into vinegar with copious amounts of alcohol. Kinda like I'm doing right now as we speak #vaaawwwdddkaaa baybeh!!! 

Anyways, think of the Jaguars as......as an ice cream store. One of many as a matter of fact. You got the New England Parfaits who have been a mainstay for many years as the top ice cream store in all the land led by.....Billnilla Belichoco and his #1 employee, Ron Gravy. They won many awards for top sales, excellent customer service, etc. etc. etc. Every so often you have the Seattle Seasaltedcaramel or the Denver "brownies" taking the top spot, but it's been consistent. Ol' Billnilla has worked hard and many hours to build up an excellent staff to work for him and push it's employees to be the best. 

Well for many years, save for an occasional good year, the Jacksonville Sprinklewars have been historically a poor performing store. Largely due to the questionable natures of the Store GM's questionable ability to scout at least employees who's IQ is greater than the number of fingers and toes they possess, to come work for him. After awhile the long time franchise owner Wayne Waffler, decided to sell his store to Shahberry Khandy, Shah for short. So Shah basically said, "I'm going to rebuild this store from the ground up. I think the foundation is good, but we must innovate and show that this city can support this kinda store. So after scouting prospective GMs and assistant managers, he decided on Dave Caldwafer and Gus Berry based on their performance in the past. He said," I'm rich, like stupid rich. Like really really rich. But I don't know anything about running an ice cream store. I want you to make this the best damn ice cream store in MURRRCA'!!!". So Dave and Gus looked at eachother then back at Shah and said, "We'll have to rebuild, re-vamp, and re introduce ourselves to the community. We'll have to start from the ground up. You'll spend a lot of money and it'll be awhile before it all works out." Shah said to them both. "I don't care, do what you feel is best." 

So they did. They got rid of a lot of underperforming employees and kept some of the ones who believed in making the business work. It's been a rough couple of years, making many customer skeptical, and having to deal with the drunks who yell and ramble about how bad the ice cream is, because realistically the drunks can see the direction is up for the store, but due to many years of giving the store many chances, they've been let down and it's hard for them to just say" Hey this ice cream is starting to be pretty good!" because they don't want to be let down again. So you get sprinkles. But the loyal customers, the ones who've come through the good times, and the bad. They see it. The fresh coat of paint, the free scoop for being loyal. The smiles on the employees face because they believe in what's happening. 

While the store is not on top of its game yet. It's getting there. It's building up something special. Will they win top store this year? No, but you can expect by the 4th quarter, they'll be in the running. And that's progress. Now you all get sprinkles. 

We're gonna lose.