Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interesting Article that Explains A Lot Regarding the Economy

Quote:The real problem has to do with each and every one of us. We have become a consumer based society rather than production based. As an example, just take a look at vehicles. There is not one single American Made vehicle in this country today (other than vintage artifacts). Sure there are vehicles ASSEMBLED here, though not as many as there used to be. Parts are made elsewhere from components produced elsewhere. Really, we couldn't function without trade with other countries.

Now think about how higher tariffs would affect our economy. That smart phone that you carry around would double in price. The laptop, computer monitor, television that you use either at home or at work would cost more. The appliances that you use in your home would be more expensive. Cars, and the tools necessary to maintain and/or repair them would go up in price.

Companies can't produce those kinds of things here because of labor unions, the demand for higher wages and the "penalty" of their "carbon footprint".

One thing that Donald Trump pointed out in a recent debate defending his hiring of foreign workers caught my attention. At his hotel in South Florida, he said that "people didn't want those jobs because they were seasonal". Of course, they were lower paying jobs such as maids, food service, bar service, etc. That might actually be true, but what happened to the high school student earning money to pay for college? What about the single mother or a struggling family trying to make ends meet? I'm sure they would fill the jobs.

Reality is the cost of hiring these people. He would have had to pay worker's compensation insurance, taxes, etc. It was cheaper for him to hire foreign workers rather than hire those Americans that he supposedly supports.

Its not tariffs for tariffs sake.

Right now if you move your business to china you have unfettered access to both american and chinese markets.

If you are an american company you have access to our market if you comply with draconian taxes and regulations but no access to chinese markets.

Ww need to refuce corporate taxes, reduce regulation, adopt right to work, and DEMAND RECIPROCITY from our trade partners.

Were literally telling american workers "dont worry it will be okay. The guy who stole your job is giving us a really good price so your unemployment check will go a lot further"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tariffs would only double the price of goods if American manufacturers didn't jump on the opportunity to begin production here in the usa...

I for one trust American entrepreneurship to seize on that opportunity.

Quote:Tariffs would only double the price of goods if American manufacturers didn't jump on the opportunity to begin production here in the usa...

Preach brother

Quote:Tariffs would only double the price of goods if American manufacturers didn't jump on the opportunity to begin production here in the usa...

Lol I don't it still cheaper to make it in China and sell it to Canada, Europe, Austriala, Brazil, Russia, ect.....

Making products in China cheaper isn't going to change.

And then in your utopian society American manufacturing would only be competirvly priced because of an additional tax on imports. So the price is still going up for you and me. Why the hell should I pay more? Why the hell do you want to pay more?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Lol I don't it still cheaper to make it in China and sell it to Canada, Europe, Austriala, Brazil, Russia, ect.....

And then in your utopian society American manufacturing would only be competively priced because of an additional tax on imports. So the price is still going up for you and me. Why the hell should I pay more? Why the hell do you want to pay more?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Lol I don't it still cheaper to make it in China and sell it to Canada, Europe, Austriala, Brazil, Russia, ect.....

And then in your utopian society American manufacturing would only be competively priced because of an additional tax on imports. So the price is still going up for you and me. Why the hell should I pay more? Why the hell do you want to pay more?

Dude, I'm getting to the age where I try not to think of a Utopian societies anymore.  There is no such thing as "a perfect world".  I know you're just being facetious when you say that, but dude, come on!  Tarriffs are not some sort of pie in the sky pipe dream of a whimsical 20 year old The_Anchorman.

Tarrifs have been used before to level the competitive advantage that an outside nation may have over another national.  It's actually one of the first things you learn about in Econ101.  It's a viable option.  As a middle class american, I want the playing feild leveled out for other middle class Americans.  This would be one way to do so.  And it's not that crazy.  Many countries, including China, do it.  I think Japan did it to us for a while back in the 80's as well...  They may still do it...  But I'm not sure.  This whole idea of free trade is a new concept, relatively speaking.  Before Reagan and Clinton, there was no free trade.  Each country did what was best for it's own people.  The American middle class was alot better off before it.  I'm not sure why it would be so scary or so impossible to go back to something we were doing just 30 years ago.

Yes, you are right that prices will go up.  But if wages increase accordingly to the fact that there's new demand for production and the supporting services (administration, logistics, IT, accounting, etc) that go along with that additional production, the labor market will tighten up, and then wages will increase as well.  If a TV becomes 20% more expensive but workers are make 20 - 40% more a month, it's an offset I think I could live with.  

Quote:Lol I don't it still cheaper to make it in China and sell it to Canada, Europe, Austriala, Brazil, Russia, ect.....

And then in your utopian society American manufacturing would only be competirvly priced because of an additional tax on imports. So the price is still going up for you and me. Why the hell should I pay more? Why the hell do you want to pay more?

Youre not hearing us. Its not just the inherent cost of paying our workers non slave wages. That puts them at a competative advantage but we can still innovate increase productivity etc. Etc. Now you have a situation where they are literally stealing our intilectual property and making it impossible to compete while they protect their own markets.

We cant noncede all industry to china. Our citizens wouldnt have jobs to pay for goods.

Quote:The real problem has to do with each and every one of us.  We have become a consumer based society rather than production base
d.  As an example, just take a look at vehicles.  There is not one single American Made vehicle in this country today (other than vintage artifacts).  Sure there are vehicles ASSEMBLED here, though not as many as there used to be.  Parts are made elsewhere from components produced elsewhere.  Really, we couldn't function without trade with other countries.

Now think about how higher tariffs would affect our economy.  That smart phone that you carry around would double in price.  The laptop, computer monitor, television that you use either at home or at work would cost more.  The appliances that you use in your home would be more expensive.  Cars, and the tools necessary to maintain and/or repair them would go up in price.

Companies can't produce those kinds of things here because of labor unions, the demand for higher wages and the "penalty" of their "carbon footprint".

One thing that Donald Trump pointed out in a recent debate defending his hiring of foreign workers caught my attention.  At his hotel in South Florida, he said that "people didn't want those jobs because they were seasonal".  Of course, they were lower paying jobs such as maids, food service, bar service, etc.  That might actually be true, but what happened to the high school student earning money to pay for college?  What about the single mother or a struggling family trying to make ends meet?  I'm sure they would fill the jobs.

Reality is the cost of hiring these people.  He would have had to pay worker's compensation insurance, taxes, etc.  It was cheaper for him to hire foreign workers rather than hire those Americans that he supposedly supports.
The real problem is the fact that Americans follow trends whether they need the product or not...People pay $400-$600 for a phone that they will not use 90% of the features it has simply because "it's cool", it's new and expensive...the other part of this is that Americans are the "show offs" of the world...By this I mean One person buys a $400 phone he doesn't need, and then has to show all his friends which makes friends run out and buy a new phone too...If Americans would stop paying ridiculous prices for [BLEEP] they don't actually need, the price would come down...

Everything would in fact go up like you stated, but like I said, if people would stop paying such ridiculous prices for such items, the Chinese would have no choice other than drop their prices as they depend on their exported goods as mainstream revenue...

What we need to do, is figure out why everything costs so much to make in the US...We know the cost of labor is higher here...Why is that? Because companies invest in high tech manufacturing machines who must be staffed by watchers who are paid a high wage such as the auto workers? Look at the health care industry...Their state of the art MRI, CT scan machines, ultra sound machines, XRAY machines et.al cost millions of dollars to design, purchase and install, so they charge thousands of dollars every time they use them which in turn drives up health care costs...CEOs get millions of dollars in bonuses so the companies have to raise prices to keep payroll where the execs want it to be, while keeping regular workers at lower wages, cut benefits, and hire more part time workers than full time workers...

There are a multitude of reasons why things cost so much to build, manufacture, and produce...One house built in a new subdivision costs $300,000 to build, but on the other side of town the same house with same builder, same labor, and same materials only costs $185,000

A couple of years ago, a gallon of milk jumped to just a few pennies below $5 a gallon here even though the dairy they bought it from is just 7 miles from the store and did not raise their prices...There are basically only 2 grocery stores in my area...People here got pissed off and slowed down on their milk consumption to the point of grocery stores having such an excess of milk they couldn't return to the vendors, that they were having to pour a ton of milk down the drain and the price dropped back down...