Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jaguars front office is incredibly smart on how they structure contracts

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 06:13 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:Understood. And, believe me, the win/loss column has been very, very difficult to reconcile with all of the seemingly "good" things happening around this team. Very difficult. So - I get your initial point as well. 

Obviously different sports but I compare the Jags rebuild to the Chicago Cubs rebuild, the Cubs went 346-464 in their rebuild, that team is now primed to compete for the next decade plus. The record during the rebuild doesn't and shouldn't matter, this team (with the right defensive acquisitions) is primed to compete for the next 10 years plus, just like the Cubs. Exciting time to be a Jaguar fan.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 06:45 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:All of their deals are essentially "pay as you go" contracts, which allows them to cut under-performing players without any dead monies left behind. Kudos to our cap management guys/gals.

We definitely need that since our free agent signing have been pretty bad.

The beauty of the position our cap is in now is that we can essentially front load a lot of guys now (Vernon, Irvin, Mack, whoever) they get paid the high dollar FA money, but in a year or two when we start re-signing our core, their cap numbers are considerably lower without having to cut a player just to save money.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:How many ground-up, bottom to top rebuilds in the NFL have you been privy to?  Because they don't happen often like this, and you don't build a complete roster in two years when they do. 

When Khan took over the clock reset back to zero.  You need to adjust your "production expectations" to match the magnitude of the total rebuild.

If you are unable to see numerous smart money decisions abounding since Khan hired his people and Dave added his - you are allowing your focus on production to narrow your overall vision. Good things are happening in the front office and it's evident in the structuring of the FA contracts.  They are a world away from those that Gene Smith and company were drawing up. 
To further this point, the complete overhaul was done by a coach and GM coming in with zero experience. Did they make mistakes? Sure they did. Did they do more good than harm? I think that's an easy one too. The thing is that these two had a baptism by fire, and the worst is behind them. Yes, it is time to see results in the win column, but to expect better than what those two did is somewhat naive. The only way to back it up is to give examples of others who did the same thing and had better success. Perhaps Dallas at the beginning of the Aikman era, but even then, they had one win the first season, followed up by the biggest trade windfall in NFL history. That isn't even the best comparison.

Bottom line, given what they did, coupled with the fact that both were brand new to their positions when starting, makes the job that they are doing not look too bad after all.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 08:37 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:The beauty of the position our cap is in now is that we can essentially front load a lot of guys now (Vernon, Irvin, Mack, whoever) they get paid the high dollar FA money, but in a year or two when we start re-signing our core, their cap numbers are considerably lower without having to cut a player just to save money.

Caldwell has said as much, with his "I could buy you lunch" and almost be at our cap number presser.

When he said that, he was including the re-signings likely to happen by early 2017.

I hope some folks have rolled back expectations of having to spend nearly $100M this offseason.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Caldwell has said as much, with his "I could buy you lunch" and almost be at our cap number presser.

When he said that, he was including the re-signings likely to happen by early 2017.

I hope some folks have rolled back expectations of having to spend nearly $100M this offseason.

I don't think most realistically expect spending like that.  I think most would be very happy to see $40-50 million, which would be 4 or 5 big name free agents.

Quote:Caldwell has said as much, with his "I could buy you lunch" and almost be at our cap number presser.

Yup. I remember reading about them needing to only spend around $28 million to hit the minimum cap floor. They can hit that with 2-3 FA signings, easy.

They know they're going to have a nice handful of players, that are going to be ready for extensions in 1-2 years. They'll make sure they have plenty of cap to go around still.

Good way to manage money.  Lets be honest they never went after top tier free Agents.  I think some good veteran leadershp could help this team.  Malik Jackson has to be the #1 target, along with Irvin and any other secondary help.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I think realistically we're looking at 2-3 "big fish", and hopefully 4-5 depth/competition signings.  After all, that's all you usually get with picks 5-7, if even that... depth and competition (if you're lucky.)  With NFL experience, you get a better picture of how someone plays against the big boys.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Good way to manage money.  Lets be honest they never went after top tier free Agents.  I think some good veteran leadershp could help this team.  Malik Jackson has to be the #1 target, along with Irvin and any other secondary help.
I guess guys like Alex Mack are just scrubs, right?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:  Lets be honest they never went after top tier free Agents. 

[Image: 25s3j7o.jpg]

and Emmanuel Sanders, and DeMarco Murray, and Randall Cobb, and Devin McCourty....

Why do people keep saying this crap?  They've made offers to several top tier free agents since Dave came in.  Just stop it with this idiotic whiner's fairy tale. 

Quote:[Image: 25s3j7o.jpg]

and Emmanuel Sanders, and DeMarco Murray, and Randall Cobb, and Devin McCourty....

Why do people keep saying this crap? They've made offers to several top tier free agents since Dave came in. Just stop it with this idiotic whiner's fairy tale.

Thank you.
Shock the world