Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Are we ok at DT heading into 2016?

Quote:De rd1

Dt/ safety rd2

Safety/dt/ cb rd3

I would like this very much - especially if that first rounder can pressure the QB effectively in his rookie season. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:De rd1

Dt/ safety rd2

Safety/dt/ cb rd3

DE/Safety Rd 1 

DE/Safety Rd 2 

Linebacker/DT Rd 3

There'll be lots of free agent corners to choose from (Trumaine Johnson/Sean Smith/Janoris Jenkins/Sterling Moore/Patrick Robinson)

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2016, 01:48 PM by HolsterHusto.)

I think we are OK at DT but if we are picking in the 2nd and a guy like Nkemdiche is there then I would really think about it.

Otherwise I would use the depth of the class to my advantage and get a guy like Chris Jones or Javon Hargrave in the middle rounds.

Quote:Malik Jackson
#1 target at dl

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Agreed.  However, Ash was an undrafted scrub last year signed from the practice squad due to injuries, not a jar on the shelf for some time.  I also doubt he makes it this year on the initial 53, but likely relegated back to the practice squad.       

By "jar on the shelf," I mean he's been around the Jaguars camp and practice squad for some time. I don't feel you actually have to be on the 53-man roster to qualify as a jar on the shelf. He's been around enough to know and understand Wash and his scheme. Now personally I don't really care for Ash because the one time I noticed him he was getting blown backwards off the line of scrimmage, however, Caldwell seems to see something in him.

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2016, 03:37 PM by ATLjag.)

Different definitions.  I consider "jar on the shelf" as a developing backup player that appears to have starting capability or aptitude, regardless if they are on the 53 or on the practice squad.  However, if a player is on the practice squad, they are truly a free agent for anyone to sign, and not likely meeting my definition of a "jar on the shelf" or some other team would have signed them.    

True yea LB slipped my mind toss that into the rd 2 or 3 list as a possibility. Any LB we might be interested in FA?

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2016, 03:58 PM by Tuxedo.)

Quote:Yes. Miller played well and sometimes very well last year.  Having young guys to rotate with both he and Marks is still very important, however. 

They both have no small amount of wear and tear, and the drop-off in effectiveness when they are out is currently pretty severe. 

I think there may be a nice upgrade in the 2nd or 3rd round for that rotation - a future starter who will learn behind Marks and Miller in the short term. 

I partially disagree with that as Abry Jones is a very good backup at the 1T and I think he may end up as a starter somewhere else in the near future. I was also was a fan of Michael Bennett coming out of college and I am very interested to see how he does with an offseason of training under his belt. That said, I certainly wouldn't complain if we went after another interior player because this draft class is incredibly deep and we could grab an impact player a bit later because of that.

Quote:I partially disagree with that as Abry Jones is a very good backup at the 1T and I think he may end up as a starter somewhere else in the near future. I was also was a fan of Michael Bennett coming out of college and I am very interested to see how he does with an offseason of training under his belt. That said, I certainly wouldn't complain if we went after another interior player because this draft class is incredibly deep and we could grab an impact player a bit later because of that.
I like Abry in the run game OK. He's nice quality depth that can still get better. He did flash a few times getting into the back field too last year.

And I have hope for Bennett next season, but the amount of push and QB pressure is radically different when Marks and Miller are on the bench, IMO.

Another 3 tech with real pass rush ability would be a big help to this unit.

With Fowler Marks and Miller along with Possibly Mario Williams, Oliver, and another DT through FA or Draft (FAOD) then this defensive line could be in the top 10. Especially if we get a late round diamond in the ruff like McCallister or Spence in the 3rd or 4th. (I remember Bowers falling). Man this defense can get real good real quick.

Then the market offers significant upgrades in the secondary. If Ramsey is our guy and he plays FS or wherever they decide to stick him, then wow.

So excited about Linder coming back to team up with AJ Cann. I am excited to see what happens at the Center spot.

We have all this money, so this could be our year.

If a really good one fell to the Jags in the darft, I wouldn't be against it. Aside from that, there are more pressing needs that could be addressed.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Man I just hope we don't pick a DT with the 5th pick

Quote:With Fowler Marks and Miller along with Possibly Mario Williams, Oliver, and another DT through FA or Draft (FAOD) then this defensive line could be in the top 10. Especially if we get a late round diamond in the ruff like McCallister or Spence in the 3rd or 4th. (I remember Bowers falling). Man this defense can get real good real quick.

Then the market offers significant upgrades in the secondary. If Ramsey is our guy and he plays FS or wherever they decide to stick him, then wow.

So excited about Linder coming back to team up with AJ Cann. I am excited to see what happens at the Center spot.

We have all this money, so this could be our year.

An ideal haul for me would be Olivier Vernon in FA, a steal of Nkemdiche in the 2nd, and McCalister later.

LEO - Vernon, Fowler, Davis, McCalister

DT - Nkemdiche/Marks, Bennett

NT - Miller, Jones

DE - Odrik, Alualu

*drool

I expect Malik Jackson to be their number 1 target if he's not franchised or re-signed. If not, I agree that drafting a DT in the 2nd-4th rounds is a real possibility due to the quality depth at the position. Don't see how they could pass on someone like Vernon Butler or Anthony Johnson if they fall to the 2nd round.

On the other hand, the only way Nkemdiche makes it to the 2nd round is if he jumps out of another hotel window before the draft. He may be the most talented player in the draft and someone will take a chance on him in the 1st round.

Generally speaking, there's no position we couldn't take except for a high round QB.

Specifically, yes... I do feel we need depth at DT... if not a starter if a high draft pick.  Whether FA or draft, I'd expect to see new blood in the mix.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

No! Nothing is okay on D until the D can stop someone. Everyone is upgradable except maybe Telvin.

When you look at our defense their really is a lot of holes or unknowns. If Marks comes back 100% then we are "OK", but if not and we have Miller and Odrick our pass rush woes will likely continue. Corner is kind of meh outside of House, maybe Colvin and MCrray can make their leap next year and we get lucky. Safety is a tough area to judge too. Maybe Sample can contribute, but Cyp has had some pretty awful games in his short career. Linebacker is OK though, but nothing great outside of Telvin and an aging Poz. So the way I see it is, anything we get at all on defense should go a long way in improving the unit as a whole. 

Jaye Howard....
Shock the world

Quote:When you look at our defense their really is a lot of holes or unknowns. If Marks comes back 100% then we are "OK", but if not and we have Miller and Odrick our pass rush woes will likely continue. Corner is kind of meh outside of House, maybe Colvin and MCrray can make their leap next year and we get lucky. Safety is a tough area to judge too. Maybe Sample can contribute, but Cyp has had some pretty awful games in his short career. Linebacker is OK though, but nothing great outside of Telvin and an aging Poz. So the way I see it is, anything we get at all on defense should go a long way in improving the unit as a whole. 

I'm not so worried about Odrick. His main responsibility is to contain his edge and stuff the run, and he did that well. In this scheme his strongside DE is very much like a 3-4 DE, and yet Odrck also led the Jaguars DL in sacks last year. I feel he's doing a fine job in role that's simply not very glamorous. Meanwhile, Miller did a fine job last year. I was down on him hard after the Bucs stellar RB Doug Martin ran all over the Jaguars, but he rebounded nicely, and Marks should be back on track in year two after his ACL as is the case with most players having suffered the injury. The Jaguars just need to figure out their LEO spot, and maybe find some better depth. Really the only decent backup DL they have is Abry Jones. The others, including Alualu, can all be replaced with the right player.

From an overall DL perspective, the team will look to keep 9 to 10 DLs. The definite keepers as I see it are Marks, Miller, Fowler, Odrick and Jones leaving 4 to 5 spots. These include a backup strong DE as in Alualu or his replacement, one or two more backup DTs with Bennett at least competing here, and 2 or 3 LEOs alongside Fowler. Branch can walk, and Clemons will have to earn a spot this offseason if he sticks. Ryan Davis probably takes a LEO spot unless they put him at strong DE.

'02

Damon Harrison would be nice